Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Oh, hah, so the entire plot of this game is "gently caress the moon, it's bullshit." Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Good. gently caress the Moon people. Those guys were smug jerks.

In the interests of fairness, so is, uh... everyone else.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Isn't Chang'e the same character as Kaguya-hime? Or in Touhou is there both a Chang'e and a Princess Kaguya?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

In the interests of fairness, so is, uh... everyone else.

Moon people are even worse than most.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why is there a Greek Titan now messing with Chinese moon deities
Also apparently Junko is the physical manifestation of Lunarian hatred (due to Yi killing her sons) along with being a wife of the god Di Jun. The characters of her name also implies her to have connections with the Huli Jing of Chinese myth.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 14, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Isn't Chang'e the same character as Kaguya-hime? Or in Touhou is there both a Chang'e and a Princess Kaguya?

They're different characters here.

amuayse posted:

Why is there a Greek Titan now messing with Chinese moon deities

Hecatia decided to help out with Junko's plan because Chang'e's husband shot down Apollo (the sun). And she just loves messing with people.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 14, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So Junko is Xihe? Like Kanako is Yasakatome and Suwako is Mishaguji?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, here's the plot (I think):

Junko is a former Lunarian who has a grudge against Chang'e (although she doesn't even care why anymore, since she purified her own grudge and is now pure grudge). Chang'e is locked up in the Lunar Capital at all times, so she can't reach her. She came up with a plan get her to move by laying siege to the Lunar Capital with purified fairies, who are made of pure impurity (life energy). When the Lunarians are forced to evacuate, she'll have an opportunity to attack Chang'e while she's being transported. She didn't have any fairies on the moon though, so she called in her good friend Hecatia, a god of Hell, who's always in favor of some sweet sweet vengeance. Clownpiece is a minion of Hecatia's, who's being borrowed by Junko. The moon has no atmosphere or plants or anything, but Clownpiece loves it anyway because it's better than Hell.

The Lunarians responded to the encroaching impurity by moving to the Dream World (which I guess doesn't really count as moving), where they created a perfect replica of the Lunar Capital out of dreams, and most of the residents don't even realize they've moved. Junko predicted this though, so she got Hecatia to help out on that front too with more fairies. Anyway, the Lunar Sages (apparently including Sagume?) realize that they're losing this battle, so they come up with a plan to move the Lunar Capital to Gensokyo, just in case (which would kill everyone there, but whatever). This plan revolves around Sagume's powers, which is to change the world with her words. She's basically a super amanojaku god who can only tell lies. Not because she's a liar, but because the world hates her and makes anything she says untrue. Reality warper tier. So she made the Power Stones from ULiL, which have a bit of her power to make untrue things true. When worse comes to worst, she can trigger them at any time by spreading a rumor about the Lunar Capital, which would immediately cause it to materialize in Gensokyo and purify the surrounding area (ie: kill everyone).

Eirin doesn't want that though, so she sends purified-through-drugs protagonists to the moon via the Dream World. Sagume realizes that they don't give a poo poo about impurity, so they can attack Junko's base directly. And then they do, the end. Junko is ultimately satisfied with the resolution because frankly she thought winning like this would be too easy, and she's glad that the Lunarians are still crafty enough to stop her.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 14, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sephiroth sounds like she has a pretty cool power.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
That's dumb she didn't even call in Nemesis instead. Or the Furies, like how Junko's stage theme references.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

Clownpiece is dressed as the American flag just to tick off the Lunarians. :allears:

I think this is even better then any other reason I could imagine.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

amuayse posted:

That's dumb she didn't even call in Nemesis instead. Or the Furies, like how Junko's stage theme references.

Apparently Hecate's three-body nature was necessary to invade the Dream World, or something like that.

Oh yeah, "powers".

Sagume has the power to reverse whatever she says. Clownpiece has the power to drive you crazy. Junko has the power to purify. Hecatia has the power to have three bodies in three worlds at the same time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amuayse posted:

Maybe Junko just wasn't friends with Nemesis. :shrug:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Clarste posted:

Okay, here's the plot (I think):

Junko is a former Lunarian who has a grudge against Chang'e (although she doesn't even care why anymore, since she purified her own grudge and is now pure grudge). Chang'e is locked up in the Lunar Capital at all times, so she can't reach her. She came up with a plan get her to move by laying siege to the Lunar Capital with purified fairies, who are made of pure impurity (life energy). When the Lunarians are forced to evacuate, she'll have an opportunity to attack Chang'e while she's being transported. She didn't have any fairies on the moon though, so she called in her good friend Hecatia, a god of Hell, who's always in favor of some sweet sweet vengeance. Clownpiece is a minion of Hecatia's, who's being borrowed by Junko. The moon has no atmosphere or plants or anything, but Clownpiece loves it anyway because it's better than Hell.

The Lunarians responded to the encroaching impurity by moving to the Dream World (which I guess doesn't really count as moving), where they created a perfect replica of the Lunar Capital out of dreams, and most of the residents don't even realize they've moved. Junko predicted this though, so she got Hecatia to help out on that front too with more fairies. Anyway, the Lunar Sages (apparently including Sagume?) realize that they're losing this battle, so they come up with a plan to move the Lunar Capital to Gensokyo, just in case (which would kill everyone there, but whatever). This plan revolves around Sagume's powers, which is to change the world with her words. She's basically a super amanojaku god who can only tell lies. Not because she's a liar, but because the world hates her and makes anything she says untrue. Reality warper tier. So she made the Power Stones from ULiL, which have a bit of her power to make untrue things true. When worse comes to worst, she can trigger them at any time by spreading a rumor about the Lunar Capital, which would immediately cause it to materialize in Gensokyo and purify the surrounding area (ie: kill everyone).

Eirin doesn't want that though, so she sends purified-through-drugs protagonists to the moon via the Dream World. Sagume realizes that they don't give a poo poo about impurity, so they can attack Junko's base directly. And then they do, the end. Junko is ultimately satisfied with the resolution because frankly she thought winning like this would be too easy, and she's glad that the Lunarians are still crafty enough to stop her.

There's so much here that makes me grin like an idiot (pure impurities is a good one) but this one:

'the world hates her and makes anything she says untrue'

...is some straight-up Type-Moon-level poo poo. I love it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So if the world hates you and makes everything you say untrue, but the opposite of everything you say can be made true - :bang:
gently caress it, it's a game made by an alcoholic Japanese man about magical mythology girls shooting each other

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

Oh yeah, "powers".

Sagume has the power to reverse whatever she says. Clownpiece has the power to drive you crazy. Junko has the power to purify. Hecatia has the power to have three bodies in three worlds at the same time.

Ooh, that's interesting, I guess Clownpiece and the fairies are supposed to be the lampades.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Help, I'm incapable of reading the name "Clownpiece" without sniggering.

Is this what it was like when Imperishable Night came out and you had to get through "Wriggle Nightbug" with a straight face?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Clownpiece sounds like the jockplate of a Harlequin.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Or a jester's handgun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HGH posted:

Ooh, that's interesting, I guess Clownpiece and the fairies are supposed to be the lampades.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm going with that. The corollary is that fairies are nymphs and vice versa.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
So the story is basically lunarians are assholes, hellpeople dress really weird and ZUN has been drinking a lot again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amuayse posted:

So if the world hates you and makes everything you say untrue, but the opposite of everything you say can be made true - :bang:
gently caress it, it's a game made by an alcoholic Japanese man about magical mythology girls shooting each other

This makes perfect sense to me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Clownpiece is a complete motherfucker and is the hardest stage 5 boss in a while yet.

She really will drive you crazy.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

Clarste posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I'm going with that. The corollary is that fairies are nymphs and vice versa.

She even has the torch.

It works perfectly

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I thought ZUN was a hard drinker to start with, but then he got married.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Clownpiece is a complete motherfucker and is the hardest stage 5 boss in a while yet.

She really will drive you crazy.

How hard is "hardest stage 5 boss in a while"? Is she worse than Rin?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Did Rin have two survival spells and two different versions of laser gently caress you?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No, but since Clownpiece is only "the hardest in a while" I assume there must be someone tougher than her. And Rin's is probably the character i've died the most to across all Touhous, so she seemed like a good guess.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How hard is "hardest stage 5 boss in a while"? Is she worse than Rin?

Oh so much loving worse. I must've died at least 200 times to her second spell. I actually gave up after getting past it since i ran out of bombs but according to Battler she gets worse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It sounds appropriate that Hell Fairy is the loving worst.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No, but since Clownpiece is only "the hardest in a while" I assume there must be someone tougher than her.

It's called hedging your bets. :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The only music to end up on youtube so far is Junko's theme, Pure Furies ~ Whereabouts of the Heart and it's pretty rad tbh

This is pretty nice, thanks for the link! That slightly discordant beginning, man... :allears:

Carlioo posted:

So the story is basically lunarians are assholes, hellpeople dress really weird and ZUN has been drinking a lot again.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Well, I'm done my stream, may continue trying to beat Extra mode later.

Thoughts: game's hard dawg, though I feel like the demo was even more ball-busting.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I figured out that picking out a part of the background for Clownpiece's stripe spells helps. The American flag shouldn't make me so angry

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

clownpiece is everything i needed in my life

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Sweet Byakuren... Clownpiece is loving inspired.

The fanart is going to be epic

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
When's the next Akyuu book? I want an entry on Clownpiece that's just "???" over and over again. Threat level: Clownish Moon

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Wait.

So if the plot is The MOON IS UNDER ATTACK! Oh no, they're planning on enacting a DEVILIOUS PLAN to kinda PARK MOON TOWN on Gensokyo to ESCAPE! does that mean that Reisen's plot her being a disgraced moon soldier who ran away to greener pastures coming back in her home's time of need to rambo every motherfucker there is, outshine both the Lunarian and Hell armies and come back home for dinner?

what loving drugs did Eirin give her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Gamerofthegame posted:

what loving drugs did Eirin give her

Shady new ones.

Also, Junko's theme is awesome. LoLK soundtrack is pissing all over DDC so far.