Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tsukuda and Saeki got the warning from the editors, didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Tsukuda and Saeki got the warning from the editors, didn't they?

They got some kind of hint about Azami, either from the weeks and weeks of terrible ratings the match with Hayama got or something else because man are they moving towards kicking him the gently caress out fast.

Also, I'm wondering if those team lineups are based off of team skill level? It looks like it plays out that way for the most part.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mikl posted:

You know what this means?

It's Tadokoro's turn :getin:

Can't wait, hype building to critical mass

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

They got some kind of hint about Azami, either from the weeks and weeks of terrible ratings the match with Hayama got or something else because man are they moving towards kicking him the gently caress out fast.

Also, I'm wondering if those team lineups are based off of team skill level? It looks like it plays out that way for the most part.
Ah, I see. Yeah, I sincerely think that the story as a whole did NOT need Azami, since the material that's been covered so far by the anime's 2 seasons has been excellent. On the other hand, if for the third season we get a rad voice actor for Azami who can deliver the creepy (while reading the raws some time ago, I often imagined Azami with Ryotaro Okiayu's voice and I thought it fit very well), it could be a nice.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, it looks like they're listed in perceived skill level with Erina as the strongest rebel, Kuga was the weakest Elite rebel, Souma as the strongest non-elite Rebel and Megumi as the weakest overall.

I'm guessing the next mach will probably have Megumi, Erina and maybe Takumi since none of them have had a chance to actually participate. They'd likely face off against Momo, Eizan and maybe Rindou (not in respective order). But who knows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I need megumi vs eizan yesterday

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, it looks like they're listed in perceived skill level with Erina as the strongest rebel, Kuga was the weakest Elite rebel, Souma as the strongest non-elite Rebel and Megumi as the weakest overall.

I'm guessing the next mach will probably have Megumi, Erina and maybe Takumi since none of them have had a chance to actually participate. They'd likely face off against Momo, Eizan and maybe Rindou (not in respective order). But who knows.

Takumi is facing swordman and nobody else

His character arc with Mimasaka pretty much demands it

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, I like this series, this is just really boring.

I don't need battle after battle after battle because the only way the battles work is when they're showdowns that take a significant amount of time to get to and prep for, not rapid fire food service. I'd much rather go back to Erina blushing and doing cute character interactions to this. Hell, I'd prefer it greatly if Erina just curbstomped the entire Elite 10 out of existence on her own so we could stop having to deal with this arc and re-establish her as the main rival.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 17, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I like this series, this is just really boring.

I don't need battle after battle after battle because the only way the battles work is when they're showdowns that take a significant amount of time to get to and prep for, not rapid fire food service. I'd much rather go back to Erina blushing and doing cute character interactions to this. Hell, I'd prefer it greatly if Erina just curbstomped the entire Elite 10 out of existence on her own so we could stop having to deal with this arc and re-establish her as the main rival.

Or if they're going to do battle after battle, make the battles more interesting like earlier in the series

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I don't get it. Is the point of this that the 1st seat alone defeated all of them? Why spend all that time on the other matches then? Why do any of this?!?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
hey the completely expected and boring outcome happened

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Whatever his name, first seat boy, really needs to lose and then commit seppuku, jesus he's terrible.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't get it. Is the point of this that the 1st seat alone defeated all of them? Why spend all that time on the other matches then? Why do any of this?!?

Because Azami needs to go and the author didn't want to write him striking out on the helipad

Xelkelvos posted:

Or if they're going to do battle after battle, make the battles more interesting like earlier in the series

I kind of want to examine this, actually, what are some highlight fights for this thread? Shinomiya, Mimasaka, the egg buffet, Kuga? What made them interesting?

E: I honestly wonder if it really boils down to the general tone of the series around the time of the fights?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
3 shutouts again.

:sigh:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What a lovely loving chapter

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I kind of want to examine this, actually, what are some highlight fights for this thread? Shinomiya, Mimasaka, the egg buffet, Kuga? What made them interesting?

E: I honestly wonder if it really boils down to the general tone of the series around the time of the fights?
When I first started this series I thought it was ok, but nothing special. What sold me on it was Soma's success in the breakfast competition at that hotel. He fell really far behind for an understandable reason, making a to-order meal but serving it at a buffet. It's absolutely the sort of mistake I could see him making since he's only ever worked at one restaurant. Brilliant though he might be, he didn't have experience, and failed to realize that buffets had different requirements than what he knew. Which was good. He failed, but in a way I believed would happen.

Since he was going to be expelled if he failed it was obvious he'd succeed somehow, so I wasn't surprised when he did. But what I liked about his performance cooking was that it also seemed like something he'd be know how to do. Engaging the customers as the food was being prepared, using his personality to keep them there, doing huge batches of stuff really quickly assembly line style. They all seemed like things he'd have learned at his dad's restaurant.

There was never any doubt he would succeed, but when he did it was in a way that fit his character rather than just pulling some amazing recipe out of thin air, or being a anime "genius" type character who just succeeds as if by magic with no explanation. I really liked that it felt real-ish. The other characters have done similar things too. Megumi especially. One of the stand out example for her was during the Stagiere arc, where she noticed the salad dressing issue just from washing dishes. A meek girl who is easily pushed around gets stuck with scut work, but is observant and constantly thinking about how to make things better for other people. She saw the salad dressing remnants and realized that making a small change and letting the customers control their portions would really improve their dining experience. I'd never have expect that, but it perfectly fit with my perception of her.

The early series just seemed to have more thought put into the successes and failures of the kids.

It helped that first real villain was Mimisaka who was so drat petty, but cruel about it. The sort of rear end in a top hat you could imagine actually meeting (cooking sharingan aside). Taking someone's dead mother's family heirloom just because you want to be a bully and crush their will. What a bastard! I really wanted to see him get punched. It was low stakes on the shonen scale but really felt important because it seemed like something that could really happen in this setting.

Most of the battles up till Azami showed up have been, if not realistic, at least believable given the setting. A tournament with no prize other than bragging rights, the evil student council trying to shut down a club, proving that you can handle real world kitchen problems. Over the top, but they made sense.

Then Azami showed up and the stakes are just completely ridiculous. He's gonna take over cooking. Everywhere. It's like, no man. That can't happen, even in this dumb comic world it's impossible. So I have no investment in anything he does because I don't think there's any chance it would actually happen, or work out for him.

The fights themselves are about as good as ever, aside from this latest chapter (and personally I think Nene versus Soma is one of the better ones for the series), but i have no enthusiasm for why they're fighting, so it just seems kind of pointless.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 18, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think you nailed something there, for all the insane challenges of Tootsuki, for all the food making people figuratively and sometimes literally orgasm, the series up to Azami was...grounded, in a sense?

It's about a guy trying to make his way through a hell school and become gainfully employed, that's a concept that should resonate with most people. I think that's part of why Stagiere owned so much, because you still had the hell school looming in the background, but without as much of the wackiness that went with it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"gee wonder who's going to win"

handwave handwave you don't get to see what happens

"huh they all lost ok"

like cmon, tell me why instead of just.. that

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't really care about being grounded in reality but make the battles loving interesting like i get the idea of building up all the hype over team rebel just for the crushing loss but

A this is our big arc climax and isn't really the place for comedy like that

B that kind of win is boring for a real fight

and

C the second tasting Always wins so it's pointless

it's why the series is generally best when the challenge isn't a shokugeki

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If we didn't have Azami and his nonsense, then the biggest threat Soma and his friends could have faced in school is Eizan. This could have lasted well into their second year.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It would have been better if they at least got some shots in. having all 3 matches end 3-0 is kinda boring.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Elfgames posted:

C the second tasting Always wins so it's pointless

it's why the series is generally best when the challenge isn't a shokugeki

This was probably the most blatant case of that ever.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mraagvpeine posted:

If we didn't have Azami and his nonsense, then the biggest threat Soma and his friends could have faced in school is Eizan. This could have lasted well into their second year.

Tsukasa is another one of those "invincible until he loses, often because he has to" opponents in shounen. I'd say the only time I enjoyed that sort of villain was Freeza, but A) he had personality, and B) at least there was a little buildup to the idea of a Super Saiyan. So many other series I feel like they are trying to ape that, and give the invincible villain role to the blandest guys, and then fail to make sure that the eventual defeat has the proper level of catharthis.

Eizan would definitely have been a better antagonist for the series. poo poo, you could have had Eizan as a (relatively) weak cook, but his E10 position and his true strength lies in the other factors that are considered for a seat. That's where I thought they were going when they revealed that it's not just cooking skill that gets you a seat, then they had to go all "Eizan wasn't taking Soma seriously, and would've won if he did". Than you can make the challenge be Soma and the others trying to arrange a cooking match with him, and leave that as one of the final matches of the series. Eizan's tricks and manipulations wouldn't get him out of that one, and he goes down in a brutal shutout after the rest of the series was Soma and the others getting around those tricks and manipulations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

at this point i want soma to get his rear end handed to him and everyone gets expelled

rest of the series focuses on rindou

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this manga wont be good until there's a battle that takes place on a seesaw which allows contestants to dunk their opponents into a vat of boiling tormented souls if they cook their food quickly enough

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

this manga wont be good until there's a battle that takes place on a seesaw which allows contestants to dunk their opponents into a vat of boiling tormented souls if they cook their food quickly enough

Shokugekis...on motorcycles!

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
we have to rescue the aldini brothers after they lost a cooking match and got trapped in the shadow realm

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

where the red fern gropes posted:

at this point i want soma to get his rear end handed to him and everyone gets expelled

rest of the series focuses on rindou

no

Megumi beats Eizan and becomes the new main character :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kuroyama posted:

Tsukasa is another one of those "invincible until he loses, often because he has to" opponents in shounen. I'd say the only time I enjoyed that sort of villain was Freeza, but A) he had personality, and B) at least there was a little buildup to the idea of a Super Saiyan. So many other series I feel like they are trying to ape that, and give the invincible villain role to the blandest guys, and then fail to make sure that the eventual defeat has the proper level of catharthis.

Eizan would definitely have been a better antagonist for the series. poo poo, you could have had Eizan as a (relatively) weak cook, but his E10 position and his true strength lies in the other factors that are considered for a seat. That's where I thought they were going when they revealed that it's not just cooking skill that gets you a seat, then they had to go all "Eizan wasn't taking Soma seriously, and would've won if he did". Than you can make the challenge be Soma and the others trying to arrange a cooking match with him, and leave that as one of the final matches of the series. Eizan's tricks and manipulations wouldn't get him out of that one, and he goes down in a brutal shutout after the rest of the series was Soma and the others getting around those tricks and manipulations.

I like Tsukasa, as an antagonist.

I think it would've been fine if they just cut out the whole Azami thing but left the Elite 10 exactly the same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kuroyama posted:

To be fair, Tsukasa's "seems nice at first, but he's actually a douchebag" angle is pretty unique. Usually these characters are openly assholes or something, but Tsukasa started off seeming like a relatable character (before revealing his true colors).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was a nothing match. at least we got to see rindou kill a baby alligator.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They loving teased us with Mimasaka having Cooking Sharingan and making goofy poses to have this nothingburger of an ending. I'm not gonna say "gently caress this manga", but that was a huge letdown.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was a nothing match. at least we got to see rindou kill a baby alligator.

Since we didn't see how it was cooked I can only assume she made spicy alligator tendies.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

PubicMice posted:

no

Megumi beats Eizan and becomes the new main character :colbert:

gently caress I meant Eishi. Guess that means it's time for me to reread the whole series!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, like, it's going to turn out that not only did Eishi make a dish that's perfect on it's own, it also compliments his partner's dish's so well that it makes the whole round a complete shutout.

Because that's the most boring way to go about things and I can totally see them doing that.

Say it again, this is gonna be the series final arc, cause it's starting to lose steam, for me at least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't see why this even needs an explanation, honestly. The challengers were good, but the Elite 10 were better. Just as expected...?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So, like, it's going to turn out that not only did Eishi make a dish that's perfect on it's own, it also compliments his partner's dish's so well that it makes the whole round a complete shutout.

Because that's the most boring way to go about things and I can totally see them doing that.

Say it again, this is gonna be the series final arc, cause it's starting to lose steam, for me at least.

If this were the final arc of the series it's unlikely it would be so rushed and bad

Bleach this is not

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I just don't care about rapid fire cooking. This needs to go back to the character stuff that people liked.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Food Hitler abjectively hosed everything up by raising the stakes too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this manga has always had a problem with stakes. souma couldn't loving wait to bet his expulsion even though no one really asked him to.