Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i usually dont read anything on giant bomb so it was always a bit of a shock to me when id actually look at one of pats articles and see how terrible of a writer he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

My second favorite video content behind Jeff playing 30 year old games alone, is when Brad makes everyone watch him spend 59 dollars on Dota poo poo and pretending he is in on the joke and everyone just looking visibly sad for him without saying anything. Lmao.

lol

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Austin's in my top 3 guys, ATM.

Me too.. he's a smart boy.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I have to go lay down because now I'm remembering Scoops & The Wolf was a weekly thing for like 3 years.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I have to go lay down because now I'm remembering Scoops & The Wolf was a weekly thing for like 3 years.

i remembered the other day that pat saw jeffs popular jar videos and made his own rip off of it as well where he drinks somehting else

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

i remembered the other day that pat saw jeffs popular jar videos and made his own rip off of it as well where he drinks somehting else

Oh yeah I was just throwing up in my mouth thinking about all the thumbnails of pattie's tiny sparse mustache and sunken eyes looming over the edge of a coffee cup.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i just looked back to when he was doing that and it was also when they had "daily dota" videos gently caress

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's reminding me that recently Jeff has been bringing up Patrick a wicked lot because of Mario Maker and it's really been pissing me off, since there was a glorious few months I didn't have to remember that guy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

were they only doing friday videos once a month back then? that looks like a rough time for the site. i think thats about when i quit the bombcast

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I didn't sub to them until like late 2014 so I have no idea.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I would of just always assumed they were one more stupid rear end journalist group I can't be bothered to worry about if I didn't decide to listen to a 2012 This Year Collection of there podcast while at work to pass the time, a year ago.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

i usually dont read anything on giant bomb so it was always a bit of a shock to me when id actually look at one of pats articles and see how terrible of a writer he is

I only read his goodbye article and it was honestly one of the worst things I've ever read. I just assumed he was an okay writer because everyone seemed to enjoy his articles. Boy was I wrong.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The best part of staying subscribed to the GB YouTube Channel (that I don't ever watch anymore) is seeing a thumbnail of Patrick's face in front of his Portal Microphone with a timestamp of 2:17:44. When I see that, I know I'm in for a treat. Scoopin the Scoops for the motherfucking win.

excuse the self quote,

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

how was he hired as a writer multiple times i dont understand

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

how was he hired as a writer multiple times i dont understand

People love reading the Style of writing he does because they think their on some deep poo poo only a few people know about or whatever probably.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It always strikes me like the kind of things people in YCS and the offsite were starting to write like it was going to distinguish them from the masses of Lol, Halo and Gears are Badass! or whatever when it was really just fatiguing and intolerable to read. Hell, I was probably guilty of it myself.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

It always strikes me like the kind of things people in YCS and the offsite were starting to write like it was going to distinguish them from the masses of Lol, Halo and Gears are Badass! or whatever when it was really just fatiguing and intolerable to read. Hell, I was probably guilty of it myself.

not the content or topics, hes bad at writing news posts even

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

not the content or topics, hes bad at writing news posts even

Probably part of the same thing with being self absorbed and way too worried about how smart your going to look, talking about the news.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I admit at first I thought Austin was gonna be another Patrick but I'm glad I was wrong.

Im also glad that Mario Maker and Splatoon are being given the recognition they deserve, and causing butthurt in the comments section.

In Training posted:

My second favorite video content behind Jeff playing 30 year old games alone, is when Brad makes everyone watch him spend 59 dollars on Dota poo poo and pretending he is in on the joke and everyone just looking visibly sad for him without saying anything. Lmao.

Brad buys skins for dota characters he doesn't even play "it's a great excuse to try them!"

Brad ftw.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

IIRC the headlines are like always, they're usually vague and more about whatever subtext he's going to let everyone onto in the article, right and you have to think about what the gently caress he's talking about past a first glance because he spent 40 minutes crafting the perfect novel title for his news post. Say what you will about Alex but his just say So, Stone Cold Stunners in Street Fighter - That's a Thing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

IIRC the headlines are like always, they're usually vague and more about whatever subtext he's going to let everyone onto in the article, right and you have to think about what the gently caress he's talking about past a first glance because he spent 40 minutes crafting the perfect novel title for his news post. Say what you will about Alex but his just say So, Stone Cold Stunners in Street Fighter - That's a Thing.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/kinect-died-in-the-uncanny-valley/1100-4920/

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Top 3 Reasons My Wife & I Will Not Be Buying the NX

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Top 3 Reasons My Wife & I Will Not Be Buying the NX

I was going to describe them like Hmmm Somehow A Little Bit More Cerebral And Myserious Clickbait Articles but I couldn't remember if that's his new job or if it also happened on GiantBomb. Maybe it was I just got the sense that's what his heart was trying to make him do.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

his new job is playing dans level

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Though I guess "Kinect Died In The Uncanny Valley" with the blurb, "It's not over for Kinect on Xbox One, but how we reached this moment might have been signaled a long, long time ago." is that. So there you go.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

his new job is playing dans level

Did he leave his Kotaku job to be a professional youtuber.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I usually try to avoid this thought when I'm seeing the crazy poo poo people post on the comment sections already, but, imagine the people who followed Patrick's work off the website to youtube of all places, and subscribed to him on Youtube.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I usually try to avoid this thought when I'm seeing the crazy poo poo people post on the comment sections already, but, imagine the people who followed Patrick's work off the website to youtube of all places, and subscribed to him on Youtube.

gotta respect honorary duder SCOOPS!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

gotta respect honorary duder SCOOPS!

lmao... No...

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I figured out why the goty podcasts are so terrible this year, poo poo works better with only 4, there's like 10 of em on there and it's too many opinions about poo poo that should be wrapped in 20 minutes or less

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dr. Lariat posted:

I figured out why the goty podcasts are so terrible this year, poo poo works better with only 4, there's like 10 of em on there and it's too many opinions about poo poo that should be wrapped in 20 minutes or less

the GOTYcasts have always been full of people dude. The discussions are the best part as well, sorry about it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

theyre always long also theyre good

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I saw The Sims 4 on one of the guest lists and I had to check because first of all I couldn't believe it came out this year but at the same time I couldn't believe it's been out a full year and some months already.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I saw The Sims 4 on one of the guest lists and I had to check because first of all I couldn't believe it came out this year but at the same time I couldn't believe it's been out a full year and some months already.

its weird to me that the order 1886 came out this year

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

its weird to me that the order 1886 came out this year

Jesus. Life is hell...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Drew speaks maybe two sentences per GOTY podcast.. being a Drew fan is suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Drew speaks maybe two sentences per GOTY podcast.. being a Drew fan is suffering.

His terseness, is part of his charm, in my opinion.