Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If anyone does check it out, I would appreciate a report on any differences or preferences between the original Korean and the Japanese dub. I plan to watch the Japanese dub because I'm learning the language and for any returning voices, but if it's not very good or distracting I'll watch the original.

It's actually not that bad so far. I haven't seen the Japanese dub yet but I hear that the voice actors for Torin, Candelira and Luckiero all return to reprise their roles, KyoryuBlue voices the new Black Ranger and Shigeru Chiba is back as the narrator/announcer. Even the sub quality is somewhat decent for a TVN release.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Larryb posted:

Even the sub quality is somewhat decent for a TVN release.
Damning with faint praise, or are they actually readable?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Ex-Aid has exceeded my expectations by acknowledging the fact that Poppy ate somebody.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jesus Christ, I didn't expect Godai to kick the monster of the week so hard it would explode into a fireball that's 3000 meters big.

...also it's kinda funny that they specify that he broke 107,000 windows.

(Kuuga owns you guys)

e: I am here to protest the very existence of recap episodes, especially ones that stick new content and important plot in amongst the clips.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 25, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Damning with faint praise, or are they actually readable?

Readable enough at least, there aren't many of their usual problems that I could see aside from a few untranslated honorifics. Hopefully somebody else will pick up the series eventually but for now it's better than nothing (but then again I'm not exactly picky about subs as I'll watch HK subs or even raws if that's the only thing available to me so I'm not really the best judge here). The series itself seems interesting enough though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jesus Christ, I didn't expect Godai to kick the monster of the week so hard it would explode into a fireball that's 3000 meters big.

...also it's kinda funny that they specify that he broke 107,000 windows.

(Kuuga owns you guys)

e: I am here to protest the very existence of recap episodes, especially ones that stick new content and important plot in amongst the clips.

Fair warning, that's gonna happen with Nexus too.

It was just kind of a necessary evil back in the day with super story heavy shows, especially when they started to transition to a new status quo.

And yeah, that's how hard Kuuga pushes its themes and ideas that power and escalation are not a good thing- Godai nukes Tokyo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I should try and find that 4chan screencap that notes just how much damage and casualties the Nuclear Kick probably did(including pointing out that there's a very good chance it caused World War 3 since that area contained multiple embassies)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Carranger DVDs arrived today from amazon, so its time to start ripping those for the hard drive and personal streaming! Also, GUIS put up another episode of Flashman the other day

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Carranger DVDs arrived today from amazon, so its time to start ripping those for the hard drive and personal streaming! Also, GUIS put up another episode of Flashman the other day

Yeah, got those. I've been picking up the Sentai DVD sets as they come out... despite none of them being for series I'm really into. Ah, well, hopefully they'll eventually get to Timeranger...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, got those. I've been picking up the Sentai DVD sets as they come out... despite none of them being for series I'm really into. Ah, well, hopefully they'll eventually get to Dekaranger...

I agree.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, got those. I've been picking up the Sentai DVD sets as they come out... despite none of them being for series I'm really into. Ah, well, hopefully they'll eventually get to Timeranger...

zyuranger owns you shitmongrel

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Megaranger's already been announced so we're getting there, Timeranger and Hurricanger are the main ones I'm looking forward to though (and to a slightly lesser extent, Abaranger and Gekiranger).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 26, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Megaranger's already been announced so we're getting there, Timeranger and Hurricanger are the main ones I'm looking forward to though (and to a slightly lesser extent, Abaranger and Gekiranger).

I'm excited for Gekiranger to get real subs

What's next? Gingaman, GoGoV, Gaoranger, Timeranger?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Fair warning, that's gonna happen with Nexus too.

It was just kind of a necessary evil back in the day with super story heavy shows, especially when they started to transition to a new status quo.

And yeah, that's how hard Kuuga pushes its themes and ideas that power and escalation are not a good thing- Godai nukes Tokyo.

Okay, here's my main beef with Kuuga so far: if it wants to push "more power is a bad thing", then gosh darnit, it needs to stop introducing serial killers who will literally kill for fun if they are not stopped. They need to let the police actually stop some of these killers themselves, or offer an option so that the choice isn't the binary "get stronger, stop the killers" vs "do not get stronger, let the killers murder another thousand people"

Also, uh, I'm not sure I wanted to know that spoiler. I mean yeah it's a decade+ old show but this is my first time and I didn't know that. :( Oh well - hopefully the circumstances for it are justified.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, here's my main beef with Kuuga so far: if it wants to push "more power is a bad thing", then gosh darnit, it needs to stop introducing serial killers who will literally kill for fun if they are not stopped. They need to let the police actually stop some of these killers themselves, or offer an option so that the choice isn't the binary "get stronger, stop the killers" vs "do not get stronger, let the killers murder another thousand people"

Also, uh, I'm not sure I wanted to know that spoiler. I mean yeah it's a decade+ old show but this is my first time and I didn't know that. :( Oh well - hopefully the circumstances for it are justified.

Don't worry I didn't spoil anything. What you just saw was Godai nuking Tokyo.

And the conflict is more...complicated than that. It's not more power is bad, it's that violence is a horrible thing, but necessary at times. You can't be half hearted about dealing with monsters, but you can't lose your soul fighting them either.

This will become much more apparent later on. Especially when you learn what the goal of the Grongi actually is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Don't worry I didn't spoil anything. What you just saw was Godai nuking Tokyo.

And the conflict is more...complicated than that. It's not more power is bad, it's that violence is a horrible thing, but necessary at times. You can't be half hearted about dealing with monsters, but you can't lose your soul fighting them either.

This will become much more apparent later on. Especially when you learn what the goal of the Grongi actually is.

Oh! Phew! I was worried the show would turn into Shin Megami Tensei mixed with Mad Max. .... Which would have been cool, but I like these characters and don't want them to suffer.

Also excellent, thank you. I'm still :geno: at how they're still kinda - "oh no godai's foot is getting more powerful" / "because he nuked tokyo he can't have the very item he needs to stop a killer" which is, hrm. Honestly, once Godai kicks all the Grongi into oblivion he needs to get a therapist and get back to his adventuring life. Marry Ichijo, too! :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm excited for Gekiranger to get real subs

What's next? Gingaman, GoGoV, Gaoranger, Timeranger?

If they keep going in order yes. I'm also kind of curious if they'll eventually do DVDs for Go-Busters and ToQger (or any pre-Zyu Sentai for that matter) or just stick with what's been adapted into Power Rangers.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
A show has never worried me more than when EX-Aid changed it's opening lyrics.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fuuka Ayase posted:

A show has never worried me more than when EX-Aid changed it's opening lyrics.

The strange cliffhanger ending of Fastlane (2002) has me pretty worried to this day! I haven't jumped onto Ex-Aid yet (will do), but that sounds intriguing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

If they keep going in order yes. I'm also kind of curious if they'll eventually do DVDs for Go-Busters and ToQger (or any pre-Zyu Sentai for that matter) or just stick with what's been adapted into Power Rangers.

Well Dairanger didn't really have all that much taken for MMPR season 2 and it still got a set released, so I'd say the odds are decent

Really though Shout Factory is in this for the long haul because they still got 20 series to go after Megaranger(21 if we count Akibaranger) and 15 series from before Zyuranger, so 35 sets in total(although I could see them doing Goranger in two sets since it's a lot longer than the average Sentai)

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Heavy Metal posted:

The strange cliffhanger ending of Fastlane (2002) has me pretty worried to this day! I haven't jumped onto Ex-Aid yet (will do), but that sounds intriguing.

It's a subtle difference, but punctuated by happenings in the show around the time of the change. The fact Ex-Aid is also not a complete series yet probably contributes to my unease. You never know if it'll go tits up, and the show has pulled some unexpected plot pulls already.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I'm actually really excited for GoGoV. Great costume designs, great theme.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm just glad these sets have been selling well enough to justify them continuing. Zyuranger tapped into MMPR nostalgia, but Dai and forward seem to be doing well in their own merits

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Well Dairanger didn't really have all that much taken for MMPR season 2 and it still got a set released, so I'd say the odds are decent

Really though Shout Factory is in this for the long haul because they still got 20 series to go after Megaranger(21 if we count Akibaranger) and 15 series from before Zyuranger, so 35 sets in total(although I could see them doing Goranger in two sets since it's a lot longer than the average Sentai)

I would love an Akibaranger set personally though I'm not sure how likely it would be for them to actually do it (though considering it's only 26 episodes long in total they could probably fit both seasons onto the same set).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 26, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I really, really love how Ex-Aid confronts Poppy's tragic existence where she's like "I took a human's life to create my own and I don't know what to do. Should I exist?" and she's legitimately conflicted in surprisingly mature ways for a superhero show designed to sell toys. Ex-Aid's great.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well I certainly didn't expect THAT at Ex-Aid's recent ending.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well I certainly didn't expect THAT at Ex-Aid's recent ending.

same but also the direction it seems to be going from the preview seems pretty loving obvious in retrospect

which i guess is what makes it a good twist

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am seriously tempted to watch Ex-Aid once I'm done with Kuuga just so I can enjoy all of these twists and mouse over the spoilers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ex-Aid owns really hard and I need to catch up on the last couple episodes

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I really, really love how Ex-Aid confronts Poppy's tragic existence where she's like "I took a human's life to create my own and I don't know what to do. Should I exist?" and she's legitimately conflicted in surprisingly mature ways for a superhero show designed to sell toys. Ex-Aid's great.

I liked the part where Snipe Brave and Nico were about to kill her in cold blood

Just goes to show that the character growth didn't stick thaaaat much

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kamen Rider Kuuga: ham-handed in ways, melodramatic in others, but ultimately really charming, really heart-felt, and I love it to bits and pieces. Episode 50 was the best episode and the correct way to end the series.

I have so much more to watch, but I'm just...I'm so happy I saw Kuuga. :love:

I almost felt the final fights were underwhelming, but ultimately that's not the point of the show and I appreciate it for sticking to its story beats. No. 0 was a sadistic monster who was super cool but also just a bully, Rose lady deserved to be taken out by the very Linto she's been underestimating, and ultimately...spending an episode reassuring me that everyone I care about is okay, and that Godai has left to go heal his soul... gosh. Gosh. What a good show.

Now I think the novel contradicts this, but I don't care: Godai comes back in a year and hangs with Ichijo, and proceeds to be a wanderer who comes and goes every few months/years, and eventually he gets a cool camera so he can send mementos home. That's how I'll be fully satisfied with this show.

Next up: ... I go to bed because I stayed up late watching this beast. Then onwards to Agito or Ex-Aid, whichever one I feel like watching tomorrow!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A little while earlier in this thread, we had an extended conversation about the ending of Kuuga.

It's still really goddamn good. It's not the flashiest or coolest ending, but that would go against the point of the show. The final fight is a brutal, ugly, nasty affair that captures the heart and soul of the show.

The only series that keeps on message as hard as Kuuga does, in toku, is probably Nexus, with the caveat that it got hosed over super hard. Nexus is

So one big difference you're going to run into with Ultraman VS Kamen Rider, at least for the older series. Kamen Rider has always been made as a kids show first and foremost, though it would cater to older audiences here and there, especially with the early Heisei series.

Ultraman has always been made as a family series first and foremost, which let them get away with a lot more than Kamen Rider. Part of this is a prestige thing, Ultraman being super important to how Tokusatsu started and got made and all that stuff. The more recent series are more like Sentai and Kamen Rider, though not as hyperactive and frantic. The big difference that tips this off is that Kamen Rider and Sentai air early in the morning for Japan, while Ultraman aired in prime time.

Now this doesn't mean every Ultraman series was ADULT AND poo poo or any stupid thing like that. Tsuburaya would make each Ultraman series to its own strengths- some were more kid friendly than others, some were more adult friendly. Almost all of them would have a pretty good balance.

Ultraman Cosmos was the series made before Nexus. This is vital to know because Ultraman Cosmos was the most saccharine sweet cutesy kids friendly kids show to ever be made for kids. It was aimed at REALLY younger kids primarily, and featured an Ultraman that didn't even kill most of his monsters- instead he cured them of the evil alien virus that was making them mean and befriended them. If Cosmos is good or not falls squarely on how much you can deal with that. Cosmos is the most kid friendly tokustasu series that possibly exists.

And it aired at prime time. For 60+ episodes.

So when Tsuburaya decided to make Nexus, they went in the exact opposite direction. Something that is about as kid friendly as a pile of bricks in a sack held by your drunk uncle, and would have fit right at home at late night.

The station, after dealing with Cosmos for the last year plus, said gently caress it and threw Nexus onto the early morning time slot instead. The early morning time slot where no Ultraman series had been before, and had gone since then to my knowledge.

Tsuburaya held their ground and did not relent what so ever from what they had planned for Nexus.

As a result Nexus got cancelled about ten episodes early and they had to scramble a new final episode out of the contents of their rear end. It is a testament to the show that the ending still works as is, but when you learn what they had planned for those final ten episodes, you will be unbelievably pissed off.

Oh also they later reaired Nexus late nights, and it did really well. Because that's irony for you.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
the best part of the version of nexus we got is its big cameo in the zero movies

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh right that's the other really unique thing about Ultraman compared to Sentai or Kamen Rider.

Ultraman has this really weirdly intricate shared universe thing going on, where all of the series connect with one another in some fashion or another. A good number of them take place in the same universe, but even those that don't are still connected because quite a few Ultramen actually do travel across realities on a fairly regular basis.

UltraSeven and his son Ultraman Zero are two of those. With Sentai, every show is stand alone until they need to crossover in a movie or whatever. Kamen Rider had a similar shared universe thing going on in the Showa Era, but that largely stopped, crossover movies aside.

Mind you, one confusing thing about the Ultraman universe is that there are no less than three or four time lines dedicated solely to UltraSeven that do not link up to anyone else. I'm not sure where the Hell Ginga falls either. Ultraman even gets two or so to himself if you count manga stories.

UltraSeven has his original series, which is stand alone- it actually takes place before Ultraman's if you were to go by the year given in the show itself. It takes place in the 80s, compared to Ultraman's 90s. His original series then branches out to Ultraman Max's series, the regular shared Ultraman universe, the Heisei UltraSeven universe, and possibly the UltraSeven X universe.

I say possibly because the UltraSeven X universe might be related to the Heisei UltraSeven universe. It's purposely unclear, but does show an active case of an Ultraman crossing dimensions to do their thing.

In Ultraman X, which is a stand alone universe on its own, Ultraman Zero comes by for a visit thanks to being able to travel across dimensions as well.

Nexus has a

Unique place in the franchise. But that goes into spoilers.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

God I can't wait for finals to end so I can splurge through all of Ex-Aid

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

The only series that keeps on message as hard as Kuuga does, in toku, is probably Nexus
Fourze. :colbert:

Admittedly, that message is 'friendship is awesome and makes us into better people', but still.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Fourze. :colbert:

Admittedly, that message is 'friendship is awesome and makes us into better people', but still.

Okay if we're playing the easy card, Cosmos is king supreme of that particular trait.

Not even Fourze can overcome the sheer friendship and care bear antics of Cosmos.

...the gently caress is it with space themed (name wise anyways) heroes being super kid friendly and nice

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Okay if we're playing the easy card, Cosmos is king supreme of that particular trait.

Not even Fourze can overcome the sheer friendship and care bear antics of Cosmos.

...the gently caress is it with space themed (name wise anyways) heroes being super kid friendly and nice

It's a desperate play to make future adults give a poo poo about space exploration again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just really appreciate how the Fourze ending actually captures the bittersweetness of graduation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I just really appreciate how the Fourze ending actually captures the bittersweetness of graduation.

The fact that (movie spoiler, not show spoiler) Gentaro's eventual fate is becoming a teacher who gives up his powers in order to inspire and protect the next generation of heroes is top-notch perfection as far as an end to a character arc goes.

• Locked thread