Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Brexit is taking too long, time for Hunxit.

Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn has called for Hungary to be suspended or even expelled from the European Union because of its "massive violation" of EU fundamental values.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37347352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Magyet out

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn has called for Hungary to be suspended or even expelled from the European Union because of its "massive violation" of EU fundamental values.
What about all the EU citizens in Hungary? Don't they have a right to stay in the EU? Trianon II might be a good compromise.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Luxembourg, the country with roughly 0,2% refugees despite being the richest country in the EU per capita.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Shazback posted:

Luxembourg, the country with roughly 0,2% refugees despite being the richest country in the EU per capita.

Listen, kid. This is Europe. We're all pieces of poo poo here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shazback posted:

Why would you compare absolute number of refugees taken to a per capita measure? Especially for such a small country?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cat Mattress posted:

Same story ran in the local news and most comments were about pouring hate on tax evasionist luxembourg, completely eclipsed anything about bulgaria.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why would you compare absolute number of refugees taken to a per capita measure? Especially for such a small country?

To be fair, Luxembourg did make a big contribution to solving the refugee crisis by accepting 84 of them in 2015

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Trianon II might be a good compromise.
It must be my mistake, but I've been googling that and getting nowhere. Can you help?
Thanks!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dawncloack posted:

It must be my mistake, but I've been googling that and getting nowhere. Can you help?
Thanks!

It's a joke. Hungary lost a lot of clay with the Treaty of Trianon, so the joke is to do that again instead of expelling Hungary from the EU.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Listen, kid. This is Europe. We're all pieces of poo poo here.

Discussion > Debate & Discussion > European Politics - Listen kid, we're all pieces of poo poo here

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Shazback posted:

To be fair, Luxembourg did make a big contribution to solving the refugee crisis by accepting 84 of them in 2015

I don't think that's the right number for the whole year. This news article says Luxembourg was hosting close to 3,000 refugees and/or asylum applicants by the end of 2015 (another source saying the same thing in March 2016). I suspect that's above the the EU average by proportion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Luxembourg has rejected something around 95% asylum requests in the past two years. Then again, I can't really complain since I live in one of the few countries with an even higher rejection rate.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How do you even satirize this? The richest country in the EU with one of the lowest numbers of refugees admitted accuses a pseudo-fascist country of being racist towards immigrants, how the gently caress am I supposed to turn that into a joke? As an anecdote, the last satirical magazine in Finland ceased production in 2000, with the editor-in-chief commenting that "in today's world, a magazine like Pahkasika is unnessary".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

steinrokkan posted:

Luxembourg has rejected something around 95% asylum requests in the past two years. Then again, I can't really complain since I live in one of the few countries with an even higher rejection rate.

where is it?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think he is unhappy with the overall Orban situation, with the attacks on freedom of press and the destruction of the rule if law. The iron curtain 2.0 is just the icing on the cake.

As others have pointed out, there are eastern European countries in the EU that are just as hostile to refugees, but none of them poo poo over western values and principles of good governance like Orban does. (PiS is trying hard but is nowhere near as bad.)

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I don't think that's the right number for the whole year. This news article says Luxembourg was hosting close to 3,000 refugees and/or asylum applicants by the end of 2015 (another source saying the same thing in March 2016). I suspect that's above the the EU average by proportion.

UNHCR 2015 Mid-year trends :
Luxembourg :
1 192 Refugees
831 Asylum seekers (pending cases)
81 Persons under UNHCR’s statelessness mandate
2 104 Total population of concern

Hungary :
4 192 Refugees
24 431 Asylum seekers (pending cases)
128 Persons under UNHCR’s statelessness mandate
28 751 Total population of concern

UNHCR 2014 Mid-year trends :
Luxembourg :
1 032 Refugees
844 Asylum seekers (pending cases)
84 Persons under UNHCR’s statelessness mandate
1 960 Total population of concern

Hungary :
2 693 Refugees
1 402 Asylum seekers (pending cases)
119 Persons under UNHCR’s statelessness mandate
4 124 Total population of concern

Even if the figure today is 3 000 for Luxembourg, it's nowhere near the 24 000 extra people in one year that Hungary got, especially given that Luxembourg is so much richer than Hungary.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

where is it?

The Czech Republic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Turns out I originally looked at final instance decision rates, which I guess only include appeals of first instance rejections.

When we look at first instance asylum decisions, Luxembourg is actually even worse off, with only Poland and Hungary behind them as significant states. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Asylum_statistics

They still reject 80% applications. Bulgaria accepts 90%, and even my particular shithole only rejects around 65%

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 13, 2016

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

Wilders doesnt want to become prime minister, unless he gets 76+ seats and thus a majority. He hates having actual responsibility as it limits his ability to just say whatever he wants. And he is right, he doesnt need to govern to be wildly influential. Basically everything he proposes gets adopted by the conservatives of the VVD (i refuse to see them as liberals anymore) in a slightly toned-down fashion, and the other parties always talk about whatever is it that Wilders is focusing on. He is amazing at dominating the discourse of Dutch politics.

This so much. The VVD has always been pro business, but they used to have a decent classical liberal wing and an active membership quite a bit left of their voters. I just don't see that anymore. They've been replaced with socially conservative lawyers jerking off to law and order. Some of Rutte's election promises are no doubt vote pandering that he will drop on day 1 if re-elected, but the poo poo he's saying used to be limited to fringe parties in the 90s. The VVD was doing great when the economy was crashing, they are doing good now that the economy is picking up. All the while moving ever further right. The fact that 30% of the electorate is so far on the right they have trouble choosing between PVV and VVD is a pretty huge change compared to even 10 years ago.

On the other hand seeing PvdA at 6% warms my heart. RIP in piss labor party that betrayed everyone that ever voted for them. Good luck serving as a stepping stone for Shell executives now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

To be fair, does Luxemburg deserve anything less than the hate it gets?

The freeriders of the Union.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
gently caress 'em

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
people complaining that luxembourg doesn't take any refugees are like people saying "if the pope likes refugees so much why isn't there a refugee camp in the vatican?!"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Shazback posted:

Even if the figure today is 3 000 for Luxembourg, it's nowhere near the 24 000 extra people in one year that Hungary got, especially given that Luxembourg is so much richer than Hungary.
The population of Luxembourg is something like 500k while that of Hungary is around 10m. On a per capita basis, Luxembourg has taken in around two and a half times as many refugees. Obviously, Luxembourg's per capita GDP is much higher, but the refugee allocation policy was (AFAIK) designed to account for both economic resources and population size.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

people complaining that luxembourg doesn't take any refugees are like people saying "if the pope likes refugees so much why isn't there a refugee camp in the vatican?!"

Luxemburg is less densely populated than both Germany and Italy and is one of the richest countries in the world. :lol:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Kurtofan posted:

I just hate them for the tax stuff. All the other things are just bonuses.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

AAPsel posted:

On the other hand seeing PvdA at 6% warms my heart. RIP in piss labor party that betrayed everyone that ever voted for them. Good luck serving as a stepping stone for Shell executives now.
This brought a smile to my face as well.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

"if the pope likes refugees so much why isn't there a refugee camp in the vatican?!"

This but unironically.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The pope is already granting refuge to pedophiles and homosexuals. The bunks are simply full.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
:drat:

steinrokkan posted:

The Czech Republic.

Luckily, it's not like any refugees want to come here in the first place unless it's on the way to Berlin.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mobby_6kl posted:

Luckily, it's not like any refugees want to come here in the first place unless it's on the way to Berlin.

That's the most retarded argument I've ever heard (and yeah I know it gets said a lot in Czech to justify not taking in refugees).

None of the refugees want to come here! That's why we have to reject 80%65% of those that apply!

e: apparently it's 65%, Luxembourg is the 80%

Still it makes me really sad, Czech Republic has the most immigrants of all Eastern European countries (~400 000 in 2015) and when I was growing up there it used to be fairly cosmopolitan, up until the Syrian War really. I went to school (literally, albeit it was in one of the few bigger cities in the country) with refugees and children of refugees from Albania, (North) Vietnam, Syria and Afghanistan and they were never treated any different. Up until the last few years anyhow :( - last I've spoken with the Syrian guy (he's fluent in Czech and works in graphical design) he now gets regular abuse and the Afghani girl had someone write to her university complaining about her masters thesis (words like "wahhabist" and "veils" were used).

e2: There were several Armenians too, I almost forgot. One of them is now doing a masters at Sciences Po thanks to the EU :3:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 14, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Didn't realise we had multiple Czechs posting here. Since we do, what's the deal with "Czechia" - should we be using that instead of "The Czech Republic" or not?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Didn't realise we had multiple Czechs posting here. Since we do, what's the deal with "Czechia" - should we be using that instead of "The Czech Republic" or not?

It's only an alternative name, not the only official one, or even the preferred one. As to where it comes from, they wanted to have an official abbreviated version to replace "the Czech", because Czech is strictly an adjective (as in even inside the country the usual abbreviation is ChR (čr)).

The problem is that it has no real basis in Czech and most Czechs hate it a lot. Then again it's also really weird to hear people calling the country "Czech" at first and it took me a while to get used to it living in Britain. Now I see it as alright but /\ :) /\

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 14, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LemonDrizzle posted:

Use whatever you want, the idea with Czechia is that it is less wordy than the Cz. R., and more accurate than Bohemia.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the Rep'

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

You laugh but Czech people seriously use expressions like that (čr, republika, "repka", v té naší republice).

And yeah the Pit is a way better name, you hear Czechs calling it one all the time too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 14, 2016

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Anyway I don't see why the new refugees couldn't integrate just as well as the ones I know did, and sincerely hope that reason will prevail and Europe will eventually accept some level of migration as inevitable.

Just to show that I'm not making any of this up, here's a Facebook post from the Afghani(-Czech) girl talking about that whole incident. Worth mentioning that the bigot signed himself as "name - Electrician" and the comments on the side are full of Czech people being nice, and, well, normal.

Rough translation:

(It's not terribly well written in Czech either, racist rants are surprisingly hard to translate!)

quote:

xxxx - electrician
I'd say that, unless her Professors don't throw her work in the bin, it can only be explained by a fat donation that was given to Masaryk University by the wahhabi Saudi Arabia. As the funniest part I'd like to point out this citation from her work:

"Even though in Mid-Eastern Europe it was relatively common twenty years ago for women to go into church with covered arms and even hair, today there is little adherence to wearing a modest attire in church."

Someone should explain to this young Wahhabi that for forty (and even more) years people have been going to church without veil in miniskirts and sleeveless shirts. With one such beautiful catholic girl (in miniskirt) I've had a date there.

Then there's her friends making fun of it on the side and such, and her saying she got an A and an offer to do a PhD in constitutional law. I'm not saying that all refugees will end up doing that or anything, but claiming that they are useless untermenshen that can't amount to anything is really not going to help.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 14, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I use Czechia because it's the better name.

I went to wikipedia to see what they're doing there and the article's talk page is hilarious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MiddleOne posted:

To be fair, does Luxemburg deserve anything less than the hate it gets?

The freeriders of the Union.

It's Europe. Everyone deserves all the hate they get.

Kurtofan posted:

The Vatican did welcome a few refugee families though.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/25/what-happened-pope-francis-syrian-refugees-rescued-lesbos-vatican-rome

With a population of about one thousand, the 11 refugees welcomed by the Pope represent about 1%. For comparison, Luxembourg has a population of 576 000, so the 3000 refugees of 0.5%. The Vatican therefore hosts twice as many refugees per capita as Luxembourg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The GDP per capita of the Vatican is like $308,000 though, if you count all their revenue from churches around the world that goes to them.