Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The english version is objectively better because Blackquill being a British weeb is way funnier than him being a Japanese guy obsessed with Samurai culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
EDIT: Nevermind

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think SoJ was also the first game to actually mention that the cast lives in Los Angeles.

I remember it being mentioned way back in Rise from the Ashes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oh right, ace attorney wasn't in the direct at all

i'm worried now

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Squiddycat posted:

oh right, ace attorney wasn't in the direct at all

i'm worried now

Well, Ace Attorney is no longer a Nintendo exclusive series anymore, so I think its less likely to show up in a direct.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, Tales from the Borderlands on Switch was, and it was also in the same ratings.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, Tales from the Borderlands on Switch was, and it was also in the same ratings.

While that is true, the port is only coming out for the Switch and not for other platforms.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just meant that Tales is happening so the collection is also happening.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
To elaborate, on the same batch of Taiwan ratings was GAAC for PC/PS4/Switch and Tales of the Borderlands for Nintendo Switch (and Genshin Impact PS5), so the latter being confirmed for next month probably means we'll see GAAC pop up sooner rather than later.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, if it's being submitted for ratings, we can assume it's probably a few months out from release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1374843738204307461?s=20

I see that hashtag motherfuckers.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I was talking with a friend about Apollo Justice today, and I realized just how much I liked Hobo Phoenix as a character turn. I hope we see more explicit callbacks to that era of his life in the future, even if it's something as simple as having him play piano well or talking about how much he likes the game of poker or something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If there's no announcement on that day there never will be.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Hobo Nick is best Nick. I love how he seems like this jaded motherfucker when you're talking to him as Apollo but then you go into his head and he's still the same old Nick, just hardened by his experiences.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I feel like Hobo Nick is one of the ballsiest decisions a game series has done. Too few games with long legacies are willing to age characters and have poo poo happen to them, like life-altering experience poo poo. Sure, it’s still silly on some level and kept vague enough as games continue so new players don’t get lost, but I wish more series took the kind of risks Apollo Justice did.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean, didn't that only happen basically because higher-ups insisted phoenix needed to be in the new game still and takumi just made him a completely different character so it would technically be true

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Pretty much, though I think it also works as a natural character progression. We've seen how he operates when alone and he's the type of person who really needs a partner to rein him in.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As much as I liked AA5 and AA6, I really wish they hadn't reigned in the Hobo Nickness so much. Not all of AA4 works super well but that aspect was so good.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Raxivace posted:

As much as I liked AA5 and AA6, I really wish they hadn't reigned in the Hobo Nickness so much. Not all of AA4 works super well but that aspect was so good.

This is my issue too. Nick absolutely should not have been playable again aside from that DLC whale case.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Phoenix is gonna hijack like half of aa7 (aka Athena's game) as well and that's gonna suck

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I get that AA5 was absolutely aiming to rein the entire tone back after 4, but man, it really would've been nice to see a harsher Nick working against The Dark Age of the Law, and he himself slowly getting back to his softer self as the game goes on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would also like for the stakes to stop being this wild anime clownshoes poo poo. What the gently caress is the Phantom

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Phoenix is Luke Skywalker, in that his appearance and demeanour in the sequel trilogy was controversial but ultimately had a satisfying payoff that the next instalment spent a lot of time trying to ruin

Also his mentor is a ghost that talks to him sometimes

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Professor Aristotle Means was the low point of the ace attorney series

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

somepartsareme posted:

The Amazing Pedophile Circus is still worse and I doubt anything will sink below it

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

I liked the idea that he was the embodiment of the Dark Age of the Law. I did not like that they blatantly spelled it out to you in the dialog.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Between the plot not making one lick of sense and Hobo Nick, I genuinely can't be bothered to go back to AA4.

I do wish AA5 didn't rely so much on Phoenix being a doofus as characterization, but I guess you mostly see that as you're playing as him.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Let's go back to personal drama instead of national law corruption or whatever

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
On the scale of Hobo Nick being basically a new character and Pearl being a 10 year old teenager, I definitely prefer series daring to take risks and let characters grow.

Also real tired of having to constantly escalate stakes. Half of 6-1 being the entire courtroom, including the judge, giggling about how they're going to murder or mutilate Phoenix for speaking out of turn was by far the worst intro of any game in the series.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

he's really funny actually and case 3 is easily the best one in DD, has the most going for it character writing-wise and they let athena do stuff in it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, that was my favorite case probably and made me want an all Athena game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I miss when the big bad in an ace attorney was just an evil ex girlfriend

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like I'd like AA4 more if I didn't play it after playing the AA trilogy with all its sleek extra QoLs and then going to the clunkier DS style. Also, if AA4-3 wasn't such a horrible, convoluted mess. But that the music is good, Hobo Phoenix is great design (if frustrating as a NPC), the payoff at the end is nice, and AA4-2 I actually liked well enough, maybe because it's really the only one not looped into the overall plot other than introducing Gavin.

I dunno, I think I wanted to like it. But aside from Hobo Phoenix and maybe Apollo (and even then that's mostly because he's better than his competition), I didn't really like most of the regular cast. Trudy's an example of why having the assistant character basically being better than the protag doesn't really land, and Gavin is just a smarmosaur.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s a shame that they never actually expanded on the stuff that happens at the end of 4-4, since that could have provided a nice change of pace for the series formula.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

they did actually, it's called dai gyakuten saiban

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I imagine that they took the ideas they had for the future of the Jury system in the main series and used them in Great Ace Attorney. Worked pretty well!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, that was also an extension of what he did in Layton vs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They weren't a jury in the Layton game though, that had you cross examining multiple witnesses at once. The Jury mechanic was not part of the cross examination but rather a new gameplay system unique to the Great Ace Attorney games.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is my issue too. Nick absolutely should not have been playable again aside from that DLC whale case.
I kinda wonder if backlash against AA4 in general(it's fun, but it's absolutely the weakest AA game imo) was misinterpreted as backlash against non-playable Nick specifically. It'd also explain why they did jack poo poo with any of the other long-term plot hooks they laid down in it(tell Trucy and Apollo they're siblings already, dammit :argh:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder how much of that is because of Ace Attorney's weird insistence of not having new games spoil the major twists of old games for the most part.

Like they're kind of weirdly dancing around their own history a lot.