Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/jackryeo/status/865916584908521472

:perfect:

e: 152: current predicted Tory majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

cool, cool

https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/865940879261003778

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
i don't pay the licence fee

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
You know, I used to think that the lovely media was causing people to be idiots, but I've changed my mind over the last few years - I now think the media is simply a twisted reflection of the common man's dark, corroded heart. A sort of amplifier for the thoughts left unspoken, an apparatus for social judgement and collective bigotry. People seek justification for their own garbage thoughts and find it all too easily. In that way, of course, the media is a poisonous agent of a self-reinforcing loop of hate, but still, it wouldn't work so goddamn well if the hate wasn't already there to begin with.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

gently caress's sake.
What's even the point? What does it get them? "here's the address of the computer-toucher who registered a domain name" wow great story lads.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

One in ten people "doesn't know" whether the police should be privatised. That's my take-home message from this chart.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Oberleutnant posted:

gently caress's sake.
What's even the point? What does it get them? "here's the address of the computer-toucher who registered a domain name" wow great story lads.

Tabloids have this crazy fetishism with being super-specific about personal details. "Mother of four, who lives in a small blue terraced house in Newark, in a cul-de-sac, with a red Toyota hatchback, bought some expired porridge. You won't believe what happened next!"

I think they do it because it's easy article-filler and also because it makes more "emotional impact" or whatever, they're scum.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

LemonDrizzle posted:

The idea of the licence fee was to prevent the BBC's funding from being dependent on the whims of the government of the day.
Yeah I know, but it doesn't really work, does it?

Oberleutnant posted:

i don't pay the licence fee
I don't even own a TV.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
goon project: doxx every tabloid journalist in the uk.

I'll make the wiki

e: how do you make a wiki?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

winegums posted:

Have the lovely skewed graphs started appearing in anyone else's letterboxes yet?

Oberleutnant posted:

gently caress's sake.

Uhhh we found out he likes pizza too

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think the license fee represents great value for money.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I wouldn't miss the bbc.

Burn it all down.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/865919232877494274

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I pay the TV license and I've only watched Question Time once with goons. Money well spent IMO

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the thread can hit a moment of serenity where we all agree that Tim Farron has somehow proven to be a far worse leader than Corbyn ever could.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Would it?

Note: Participants were habitual Labour voters who are considering voting Conservative at this election. The vast majority were from Bury South and all were from Labour held constituencies. They were in social grades c1c2d, in work and 30-59 years old. One group was with men, one was with women..

Yes, because when I said their focus group 'of students' I was referring to the focus group they did a week ago that consisted of students. Which they referred to in the article. Did you read it?

In any case it's pretty clear they are attempting to mislead by presenting focus group results as if they were polls. A focus group can't 'reveal' that life-long Labour voters don't want free school meals to any degree of significance because it has a sample size of eight. If you want to gauge support for a policy, you do a poll. If you want to get more detail about why people feel the way they do you might get it from a focus group, but it is in no way a replacement for a poll.

Alchenar posted:

I think the thread can hit a moment of serenity where we all agree that Tim Farron has somehow proven to be a far worse leader than Corbyn ever could.

What about Paul Nuttall?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

learnincurve posted:

I do, because I don't watch television and the licensing man keeps turning up trying to catch me out. They can gently caress off if they think I'm paying money to them for a service I don't use just because I own internet devices capable of running it.

Privatise it and make it a subscription service just like every other for profit organisatio, or be honest or call it the tax that it is.

This sounds good to me. The BBC is utter wank anyway so I wouldn't mind if they just scrap the whole lot of it

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Yes, because when I said their focus group 'of students' I was referring to the focus group they did a week ago that consisted of students. Which they referred to in the article. Did you read it?

So you weren't taking about the focus group the article was about you were talking about a different focus group ?

Edit: I've gone back and looked at my post and your reply and I'm afraid I don't believe you. I think you assumed this article was about a different focus group.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 20, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

So you weren't taking about the focus group the article was about you were talking about a different focus group ?

This doesn't seem like the point.

In other news, 82% of 2015 Labour voters intend to vote Labour again. This is compared to 88% of Tory voters, 52% of Lib Dem voters and 38% of UKIP voters. Another nail in the coffin of the idea that Corbyn would drive people away from Labour.

And also:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/865960703101997057

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.facebook.com/id.co/videos/10155711612921874

Grime star Jme and Labour don Jeremy Corbyn talk about the importance of a high youth turnout in this election.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Tories announcing the repeal of article 40 in the middle of their manifesto is the most cynical poo poo I have seen towards guaranteeing favourable press coverage from the right wing rags. I'm genuinely shocked the Telegraph broke ranks even a little.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Yeah. I'm actually surprised at how terribly the Lib Dems are doing, I expected them to at least pick up some Remain votes. I guess a second referendum that they'll inevitably lose isn't that big of a draw. Also when the only thing your party kindof stands for is social liberalism maybe don't have a Christian fundamentalist with regressive views as your leader.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

In other news, 82% of 2015 Labour voters intend to vote Labour again. This is compared to 88% of Tory voters, 52% of Lib Dem voters and 38% of UKIP voters. Another nail in the coffin of the idea that Corbyn would drive people away from Labour.

How far we have come from the Corbyn who was supposed to be able to 'engage with none voters'.

It'll be interesting to see the polls that were taken after the Tory manifesto launch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I like the BBC because they show sports without ad breaks. The BBC should be granted the rights to all sports, purely so they can launch an ad free sports channel. Have it replace BBC 1.

TV advertising is really annoying, but I watch lots of sports.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Tories announcing the repeal of article 40 in the middle of their manifesto is the most cynical poo poo I have seen towards guaranteeing favourable press coverage from the right wing rags. I'm genuinely shocked the Telegraph broke ranks even a little.

Article 40? Which Article 40?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

How far we have come from the Corbyn who was supposed to be able to 'engage with none voters'.
If Labour have lost some of their traditional voters while having a higher vote share than they did before that suggests that he has in fact done that. Or possibly taken votes from other parties.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. I'm actually surprised at how terribly the Lib Dems are doing, I expected them to at least pick up some Remain votes. I guess a second referendum that they'll inevitably lose isn't that big of a draw. Also when the only thing your party kindof stands for is social liberalism maybe don't have a Christian fundamentalist with regressive views as your leader.

The Lib Dems will take a long time to recover to where they were. Clegg has done more good for the Tories than he ever could have had he stayed with them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If Labour have lost some of their traditional voters while having a higher vote share than they did before that suggests that he has in fact done that. Or possibly taken votes from other parties.

We won't know if that has happened until June 8th. I'm not expecting labour to have a higher vote share. 29% feels about right to me.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Darth Walrus posted:

Article 40? Which Article 40?

Section 40 of the press regulation act even. The section that requires those publications that don't sign up to the press regulator would be liable to pay all legal fees for both sides in any legal action taken against them regardless of the out come.

Note, I'm not even opposed to this repeal, but it seriously is the carrot being dangled in front of the press to continue favourable and non critical coverage.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

We won't know if that has happened until June 8th. I'm not expecting labour to have a higher vote share. 29% feels about right to me.

It's quite funny the way you are happy to straw-man all Corbyn supporters as not believing in polls, and at the same time disregard any polls that don't 'feel right' to you.

Also Corbyn's approval rating according to Opinium has gone from -28 to -18 in a week, making him more well-liked than either Farron or Nuttall.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

Section 40 of the press regulation act even. The section that requires those publications that don't sign up to the press regulator would be liable to pay all legal fees for both sides in any legal action taken against them regardless of the out come.

Note, I'm not even opposed to this repeal, but it seriously is the carrot being dangled in front of the press to continue favourable and non critical coverage.

Isn't this policy something the big papers are all for because it totally fucks smaller papers like private eye?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Scrapping Leveson 2 was another blatant bribe for the press.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

It's quite funny the way you are happy to straw-man all Corbyn supporters as not believing in polls, and at the same time disregard any polls that don't 'feel right' to you.

Strawman indeed. I don't disbelieve or disregard any poll from a BPC affiliated organisation.

But I recognise that they are a tool that represents a snapshot of of opinion. Im sharing my opinion on what the final vote share will be, not offering an alternative opinion poll result half way through the campaign, and not making the mistake of comparing mid-campaign polls with the election result.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm fairly certain I remember Ian Hislop being extremely critical of both the concept regulator and the policy of requiring them to always pay legal fees no matter the outcome.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Strawman indeed. I don't disbelieve or disregard any poll from a BPC affiliated organisation.

But I recognise that they are a tool that represents a snapshot of of opinion. Im sharing my opinion on what the final vote share will be, not offering an alternative opinion poll result half way through the campaign, and not making the mistake of comparing mid-campaign polls with the election result.

I'm sure deep down even you wonder how well Labour would currently be doing if their leader hadn't started from a position of his own party repeatedly trying to stab him in the back and destroy his reputation with the electorate.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Bape Culture posted:

The whole of pistonheads news forum hate the BBC because they truly believe they're extremely left wing biased haha and I'd consider them a pretty decent sample of middle aged blokes. Like the mumsnet of men. People in this country are just tossers I think.

The problem isn't that the BBC has a bias that's all fine and good but they try and tout about the BBC being impartial when it has always been leaning to the left due to the composition of the metropolitan Intelligentsia that makes up its ranks

I just don't like the bullyboy tactics the TV Licensing goons use

They can gently caress off with ringing my mother in hospital over a ten quid debt

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

I'm sure deep down even you wonder how well Labour would currently be doing if their leader hadn't started from a position of his own party repeatedly trying to stab him in the back and destroy his reputation with the electorate.

Unmanaged intra-party conflict is a symptom of his weakness, not the cause.

Polling data has told us that labour disunity is way behind the leadership itself when it comes to understanding why people are turning away from labour.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

forkboy84 posted:

I like the BBC because they show sports without ad breaks. The BBC should be granted the rights to all sports, purely so they can launch an ad free sports channel. Have it replace BBC 1.

TV advertising is really annoying, but I watch lots of sports.

I'd rather the TV License money went into making more documentaries and comedy imo

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Sorry if this has already been posted, but remember the guy who registered the domain that stopped the cyber attack on the NHS last week? He got a special prize from our fine tabloids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted, but remember the guy who registered the domain that stopped the cyber attack on the NHS last week? He got a special prize from our fine tabloids!

He should sue the papers for violations of privacy

• Locked thread