Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
He's been lying on his tax return forms and the IRS is after him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sigmar said I looked nice in this dress. :(

I need some takes on a 1k skaven teams list. I'm not sure if I want to go full Pestilens, or if I should just go with tried and true piles of clanrats plus some rat ogres. Skabbik's non-negotiable for his ability to turn off a point.

List 1
code:
Leader [410pts]
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace [270pts]
Selections: Blade of Corruption, General, Master of Rot and Ruin, Rabid-rabid!
Skabbik Plagueseeker [140pts]
Battleline [560pts]
Clanrats [100pts]
Selections: 20 Clanrats [100pts], 2x Musician, Rusty Blades, 2x Standard Bearers
Plague Censer Bearers [100pts]
Selections: 5 Plague Censer Bearers [100pts]
Plague Monks [360pts]
Selections: 40 Plague Monks [180pts], Pair of Foetid Blades, Plaque Harbingers, Reinforced [180pts], Standard Bearers
Other
Skabbik's Plaguepack
List 2
code:
Leader [330pts]
Grey Seer [110pts]
Selections: General, Master of Magic, Skavenbrew, Skitterleap
Master Moulder [80pts]
Selections: Warpstone-tipped Lash
Skabbik Plagueseeker [140pts]
Battleline [660pts]
Clanrats [200pts]
Selections: 40 Clanrats [100pts], 2x Musician, Reinforced [100pts], Rusty Blades, 2x Standard Bearers
Clanrats [100pts]
Selections: 20 Clanrats [100pts], 2x Musician, Rusty Spears, 2x Standard Bearers
Clanrats [100pts]
Selections: 20 Clanrats [100pts], 2x Musician, Rusty Blades, 2x Standard Bearers
Rat Ogors [260pts]
Selections: 4 Rat Ogors [130pts], Reinforced [130pts], 2x Warpfire Gun
Other
Skabbik's Plaguepack

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Deleter posted:

He's been lying on his tax return forms and the IRS is after him

He has also been embellishing his resume with jobs, titles, and skills he does not possess!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
By IRS i mean the INTERNAL REVENUE SKAVEN, YES-YES

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Interdimensional rat service

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
[sinister shot of darkened Hammerhal streets] SIGMAR IS REAL AND HE TRIED TO EAT MY rear end

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
He prefers 40K

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
All the pantomime rules were his idea

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yeah, absolutely. Like every other chaos player, I have the underworld set, Khagra's Ravagers, not for their janky mini-unit AoS incarnation, but as a Sorcerer and 3 aspiring/exalted champions or potentially even Chaos Lords.

I'm fielding them as in in a 100 pt game, wish me luck,

AnEdgelord posted:

So what do people think Sigmar lied about?

Skaven caused the flaw

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 15, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GW's having a bad day today, a bunch of potato camera pictures of the cover and various pages of the 4e core book leaked.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Think of it as an adepticon stream preview.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
what's so grund about this buch anyways?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

lol grundle book

That cover sucks. At no point should the first thing about AOS that anyone sees be a faceless gold doll in a bland pose.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I might actually try out AOS in 4th edition, but not as a starter box, I'll probably get two boxes of an army of cities of sigmar and flesh eater courts or something.

I tried out AoS with a friend of mine a couple weeks ago, take note, this was a small game done with the very smallest basic starter set of AoS, from second edition with the Eternals and ghosts in it. literally two squads of basic units, for the eternals it's was hammer bros and ballistas, for ghosts it was banshees and glaive guys.

Two things I noticed

1- What's the point of running around in a map if in the end we have to do melee? are there enough magicians and sorcerers to worry about in the game that cover and positioning and line of sight will matter?

2- It feels like alot of the game is taken up in the actual melee fighting phase, like two thirds of the time was taken up resolving melee combat, can you make more than one squad enter into a fight when there's two people fighting? In 40k I think you're not allowed to charge a unit that's already in melee against another or did I horribly misunderstand something?

3- We never got around to trying out the 'double turn start for the attacker' thing, lets see if that sticks around for 4th.

overall it was good, it just felt like everything halted when our units got into melee combat, maybe it's because we were playing a basic 'kill everyone' mission so there wasnt enough dynamism in the mission we played.

Does age of sigmar have secondaries and tactical objectives?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 15, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Does age of sigmar have secondaries and tactical objectives?
They're called battle tactics and grand strategy, and yeah it does.

Also why wouldn't more than one unit be able to charge into melee in 40K? There's wacky tournament strats involve charging two units into one and then consolidating them into another one, extending the potential movement and fighting range of one of your units that charged.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 15, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Also why wouldn't more than one unit be able to charge into melee in 40K?

I think I may have completely misread the rules, so when I read 'cannot shoot' my brain automatically went to 'only two people fight each other at any given time'.

I'm such a bozo lol.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Movement and board control are huge deals because you win by taking and holding objectives and can really gently caress poo poo up by blocking charge or retreat lanes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

AOS is a movement-based game. You need to move around the board in order to control primary objectives and deny your opponent the ability to do the same. Only real weirdoes would play it if it were just pushing dudes into the center of the board to have a dice-rolling contest. You're not really going to get a lot of complex maneuvering with one squad versus one squad.

The melee-focused game does indeed spend a lot of time in the melee phase of the game, just like 40K spends a long time in the shooting phase. You can have any number of combats in any configuration which you can create with your charges, but you alternate melee activations until one of you runs out of units with which to fight, or you've got some special rules that pull in more than one unit at a time.

The priority mechanic and how to manipulate it are literally the thing that makes this game unique, and it would be very surprising if it went away for 4th.

If you have a local AOS scene, ask if they're willing to run you and your buddy through some teams games. 1k points per player, 2k a side is probably the best current way to get started with AOS, though that may change with the new Combat Patrol equivalent for 4th.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

How are Gloomspite gitz as an army? so far for me the three most exciting looking armies are Cities of Sigmar, the Undead faction as a whole, and Gloomspite Gitz.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gitz are eating quite well at the moment, particularly squigs. They die fast but respawn just as fast.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Gitz are doing very well, and Cities is in a strong position.

You may need to narrow it down regarding what you like about the Death armies. Soulblight are extremely strong even after some recent nerfs, Ossiarch Bonereapers are also in a healthy place. Flesh-eater Courts are in a real standout position of being great in terms of mechanics and lore, but if nothing else, don't buy their book because it's probably not going to be useful in another few months. Nighthaunt are interesting, but critically underpowered at the moment. They all play very differently.

Keep in mind that 4th edition is probably going to be an index edition, so there may be some major rules upheavals, and if you buy into anything right now, make sure you really like it as a holistic block and not just for a particular meta aspect.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Me looking at boxes of chaos warriors, chosen, and knights lying in the closet.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Gitz are doing very well, and Cities is in a strong position.

You may need to narrow it down regarding what you like about the Death armies. Soulblight are extremely strong even after some recent nerfs, Ossiarch Bonereapers are also in a healthy place. Flesh-eater Courts are in a real standout position of being great in terms of mechanics and lore, but if nothing else, don't buy their book because it's probably not going to be useful in another few months. Nighthaunt are interesting, but critically underpowered at the moment. They all play very differently.

Keep in mind that 4th edition is probably going to be an index edition, so there may be some major rules upheavals, and if you buy into anything right now, make sure you really like it as a holistic block and not just for a particular meta aspect.

What do you mean by holistic block?

Yeah im not gonna buy any books, if i were to say what my probable purchases after 4th edition is out it will probably be a box of cities of sigmar and a tie between the Bonereapers and Flesh eater courts. Gloomspite are also an emotional fave for me.

Im mostly basing my decision on how cool i think they look. Not much more than that.

Theres rumored to be an AoS combat patrol coming out for 4th yeah? So i guess the core rules and two combat patrol boxes would be where i'd go.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

What do you mean by holistic block?
A well rounded looking army instead of 5 boxes of the same unit.

Also they already showed the combat patrols for Flesh-Eater Courts and Cities of Sigmar

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/12/cities-of-sigmar-and-flesh-eater-courts-bolster-their-ranks-with-new-spearhead-boxes/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

A well rounded looking army instead of 5 boxes of the same unit.

Also they already showed the combat patrols for Flesh-Eater Courts and Cities of Sigmar

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/12/cities-of-sigmar-and-flesh-eater-courts-bolster-their-ranks-with-new-spearhead-boxes/

Nice thats probably where id start along with the core rule book.

Holistically speaking cities of sigmar and bonereapers or flesh court are the armies that make me go 'holy gently caress thats cool' when i see them as a whole, the elve factoons are also incredible but if i were to play the game id like to go for a bloodborne-castlevania look and feel, the vampires are super cool as well but that can be later.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

grassy gnoll posted:

Are we fairly sure of that? I mean GW is gonna GW but they have to know putting out a Darkoath book 1- 2 months before an upheaval isn't going to go over smoothly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think 4th ed is going to be much like the skip from 8th to 9th ed was for 40k. Just a lot of minor tweaks and upgrades to mechanics present, with some new stuff to stir the pot a little.

Not sure if GW wants to do another massive system overhaul while they're still currently in the midst of one with 40k.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Nice thats probably where id start along with the core rule book.

Holistically speaking cities of sigmar and bonereapers or flesh court are the armies that make me go 'holy gently caress thats cool' when i see them as a whole, the elve factoons are also incredible but if i were to play the game id like to go for a bloodborne-castlevania look and feel, the vampires are super cool as well but that can be later.

If you think they're cool for reasons beyond the rules, that's where you want to be, and any army you feel that way towards is probably a safe choice.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are we fairly sure of that? I mean GW is gonna GW but they have to know putting out a Darkoath book 1- 2 months before an upheaval isn't going to go over smoothly.

No more so than we're sure about the launch box being Skaven and SCE, but it matches the pattern of a July release of an edition every three years, every fourth edition has indexes. It's all educated guesswork until they actually say something, mind you.

Darkoath looks like it's going to be a supplement a la the recent Ironjaws PDF, for what that may be worth. Though frankly I wouldn't put it past GW to have put out the FEC book same quarter as a new edition launch.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Every fourth edition doesn't have indexes lol, they've only used indexing a couple times over the last few years but it's always been for a very specific purpose rather than something that runs on a timer. AoS launch needed it for the actual launch of the game, 40k 8th needed it to throw every design mistake of 7th into a dumpster and 10th needed it to do a hard reset on rules bloat. The only thing that will determine if AoS 4th gets indexed is if the GW designers feel it is necessary to do so. It depends on what they're going for this edition.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I hope they don't do a bunch of Index stuff. The game is mostly really good how it is.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The only change is that characters need a way to attach to units.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

yeah, we have enough characters whose sole job is buffing a specific unit that it'd be nice to just have them be one thing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I actually really like 40k 10th turning characters into unit attachments, it feels way more natural for characters to be embedded in a squad of infantry than standing around solo. It only really makes sense for Monstrous characters.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

AnEdgelord posted:

I actually really like 40k 10th turning characters into unit attachments, it feels way more natural for characters to be embedded in a squad of infantry than standing around solo. It only really makes sense for Monstrous characters.

Until the last couple editions that's how 40k had always done it, it was pretty jarring when units couldn't be joined by characters imo

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

OBR are getting a... tiger?

from the Adepticon Preview article

I approve. Death has always had a distinct lack of cuddly mascots. Order has Gryph-Hounds, Chaos has Nuglings, Destructions has Squigs. Death's about due for one..

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok that seals the deal im getting Ossiarch Bone reapers as the second army lol i cant say no to a Bone Tiger lol

The only thing i have against the soulblight gravelords is that theres no dandy 'manfred von carstein' figure who looks like dracula from castlevania symphony of the night

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 17, 2024

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/17/foul-powers-fulminate-in-the-depths-of-the-mortal-realms/

quote:

Yet as the Twin-tailed Crusade puts the capstone on two new cities in Aqshy and Ghyran, the bells of ruin toll. Something vile has been festering in the deepest and darkest of places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Finally, chaos dwarves are coming back!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Finally, chaos dwarves are coming back!

Titan Forges Chaos Dwarfs are really good. I love em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok that seals the deal im getting Ossiarch Bone reapers as the second army lol i cant say no to a Bone Tiger lol

The only thing i have against the soulblight gravelords is that theres no dandy 'manfred von carstein' figure who looks like dracula from castlevania symphony of the night

They don't have models like that, but one of the short stories I liked with them in it is about a full squad of vampires that always comes dressed in the finest gowns and suits, even in battles, because they must always be fashionably perfect.