Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do timeshare Rolexes exist? The closest I found find was a startup that got shuttered that rented watches to people on a Netflix like subscription model:

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/04/28/rent-a-rolex-luxe-watches-go-timeshare.html

quote:

The “Virtuoso” plan includes watches in the $30,000 to $50,000 range, and costs $9,700 for three watch rotations or $17,250 for six rotations per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do timeshare Rolexes exist? The closest I found find was a startup that got shuttered that rented watches to people on a Netflix like subscription model:

There certainly is!

Owners of luxury watches fear scam in ‘sharing economy’ service

quote:

A company that ran an “sharing economy” service for luxury watches has disappeared and severed communications without returning hundreds of the valuable timepieces to their owners.

The termination of the service, called Toke Match, was announced on Jan. 31, along with the dissolution of Neo Reverse, the Osaka-based operator.

Neo Reverse said on its website that the watches would be returned to the owners within six months.

However, many owners who are still waiting for their watches said they have lost all contact with the company. At least one owner said he found one of his missing watches being sold on a flea market app without his permission.

According to a group of watch owners, around 730 or so watches, worth a total of 1.6 billion yen ($10.7 million), had not been returned as of Feb. 10.

The Toke Match service arranged for people to rent luxury watches from the owners, who received a monthly rental fee.

It was billed as a service that “connects users who can rent luxury brand watches on a monthly basis with owners who can earn a steady monthly income by depositing their luxury brand watches.”

Neo Reverse said the sharing economy service creates a “new style of wristwatch life” that gives more economic value to users than buying one and a more profitable value to owners than selling one.

The service quickly spread after starting in January 2021, and the number of the rental watches reached 1,500 in August 2023.

A 37-year-old watch dealer who lives in Nagoya and collects luxury wristwatches said he lent 45 watches, including Rolexes and an Audemars Piguet, worth a total of 60 million yen, to Toke Match.

He earned about 1.1 million yen a month as a rental fee for the watches, and the company had never failed to pay him at the end of the month, he said.

But when he checked his bank account on Jan. 31, he found that only 60,000 yen had been transferred.

He sent an email to the person in charge of Toke Match but received no response.

He eventually received a package from the company containing 17 of the 45 wristwatches he had provided. But these were the least expensive ones.

The remaining 28 watches, worth about 50 million yen, have not been returned.

He contacted a representative of the management company whom he had met, but the telephone number was no longer in service.

“The company’s website claims that it will return the goods within six months, so even if I file a damage report with the police, it won’t be accepted, so I can’t make any move,” he said. “I trusted the company, but I’m worried because I don’t know the background behind its sudden action.”

He said he is considering filing a lawsuit.

A 37-year-old office worker who lives in Yuki, Ibaraki Prefecture, regrets his decision to lend two Rolexes to Neo Reverse at the end of 2021.

“Although I lent them, they are still the precious belongings of my late father,” he said.

The watches have not been returned yet.

“Looking back, I may be at fault for trusting such an uncertain service,” he said.

The market prices of the watches when he joined the service were each nearly 500,000 yen.

He had received 25,000 yen a month as a rental fee. But the company dissolved without transferring the fee for January.

According to the contract he signed with the Neo Reverse, if the user loses the watch or otherwise fails to return it, Toke Match will pay 1.35 million yen as compensation for damages.

But the man said, “I doubt there are any savings left at the managing company.”

Also worrisome are suspicions the missing watches are being resold.

An office worker in his 30s living in Tokyo had deposited four Rolexes, worth 30 million yen in total, with Toke Match.

After the service was terminated, he heard a rumor that watches used in Toke March were being resold.

He searched online and found one of his four watches, worth 7.5 million yen, on a flea market app.

He consulted police, who later informed him that the serial number of the Rolex up for sale matched the number of his missing watch.

The watch owner said he plans to file a criminal complaint.

Neo Reverse was located at an apartment building in Osaka.

According to a source at the building, office supplies and vouchers, as well as around 200 boxes believed to be watch cases, had been left in the garbage collection site along with bulk trash items in the two weeks before the company’s dissolution.

The Asahi Shimbun requested an interview with the company in writing but had not received a response by Feb. 11.

The National Consumer Affairs Center, as of Feb. 8, had received 19 inquiries regarding Neo Reverse, mainly about watches that had not been returned after the company’s dissolution.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Hell yeah Osaka!

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Residency Evil posted:

You spend $9k out of $10k on a watch to motivate yourself.

I use the $10k as a downpayment on a $70k watch loan at 30% APR.

We are not the same.

I"m not sure if I missed the /s/ on this one but please, go on

Also 2nding the lol at not buying a rolex, the same submariner I picked up for < $10k in 2011 is now something in the $20k range now which is incredible for a tool wrist watch. I also regret not buying another one when Costco had them for sale

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

adnam posted:

Also 2nding the lol at not buying a rolex, the same submariner I picked up for < $10k in 2011 is now something in the $20k range now which is incredible for a tool wrist watch. I also regret not buying another one when Costco had them for sale

Your Costco was selling Rolexes?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

obi_ant posted:

Your Costco was selling Rolexes?

Lol yes, I think I saw it last around 2015-2016 (southern california), they had omegas around that time too.
usually women's rolexes but I did see a Day-date and Explorer I really liked.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boris Galerkin posted:

there a whole bunch of different crypto hucksters selling projects to "tokenize" real world assets. some dummy gives them a rolex and in exchange they can now trade fractionalized shares of a watch NFT on the blockchain!!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

there was a company that would store your watch, lend it to folks and pay you a cut in Japan. It went tits up at the end of January and "lost" a bunch of watches
https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/15162104

not sure what the ratio of fraud to buffoonery is at this point, but it's pretty drat hilarious regardless.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mr. Fix It posted:

there was a company that would store your watch, lend it to folks and pay you a cut in Japan. It went tits up at the end of January and "lost" a bunch of watches
https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/15162104

not sure what the ratio of fraud to buffoonery is at this point, but it's pretty drat hilarious regardless.

6 posts above yours buddy.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Strong Sauce posted:

6 posts above yours buddy.

whoops

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I apologize for the NY Post link (got it from Matt Levine), but drat are timeshares BWM

https://nypost.com/2024/04/07/us-news/retiree-loses-1m-in-timeshare-fraud-by-mexican-drug-cartel-known-for-cannibalism/

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

adnam posted:

You think I'm going to impress BWM thread regulars with a Rolex?!

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 9, 2024

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

adnam posted:

$10k in the S&P500 in January 2011 would be over $50k today

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

Timeshare owners are the perfect group of people to target for scams.

I have follow-up questions about the cannibal gangsters, tho

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

lament.cfg posted:

tbf you can't wear 10k of index funds on your wrist and it does a lousy job telling time

but yeah same is true for cars, people are like oh this mint 2k mile S2K that sold for ~38K in 2009 is now worth $150K! WAOU! ignore the returns that are worse than the market and also the cost of having to store insure and maintain the car

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
A $10 quartz watch and $9,990 in index funds handles wrist-based time readings, more accurately than the Rolex actually.

It’s ok that men like to wear jewelry too, pretending it’s for utility is a lol though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A $10 quartz watch and $9,990 in index funds handles wrist-based time readings, more accurately than the Rolex actually.

It’s ok that men like to wear jewelry too, pretending it’s for utility is a lol though.

Women's jewelry is traditionally a store of value, too!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Women's jewelry is traditionally a store of value, too!

Really if you think about it a dowry is just wife equity.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The people buying a new watch specifically to put in a safe as an investment are almost all going to be outperformed by an index fund.

The people buying a watch as jewelry to wear, who subsequently get bored and decide to sell it, will generally find that it has largely retained or increased in value, especially if they bought at used prices and especially if it is an in-demand brand or model. As far as forms of conspicuous consumption accessible to the middle class go, this is one of the only things that is true about.

The guy in the story is trying to do a weird hybrid of (1) and (2) by buying something he can't afford for the purpose of value storage but taking action to ensure maximum depreciation as fast as possible.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Cerekk posted:

The people buying a watch as jewelry to wear, who subsequently get bored and decide to sell it, will generally find that it has largely retained or increased in value, especially if they bought at used prices and especially if it is an in-demand brand or model. As far as forms of conspicuous consumption accessible to the middle class go, this is one of the only things that is true about.
I'd be curious for something evidencing this as I'm very skeptical that the majority of shiny baubles hold or increase in value. Feels like one of those things like the fine art market where there might be some truth for the relative handful of pieces that the ultra-rich have decided are "valuable", but everyone below them are just marks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd be curious for something evidencing this as I'm very skeptical that the majority of shiny baubles hold or increase in value. Feels like one of those things like the fine art market where there might be some truth for the relative handful of pieces that the ultra-rich have decided are "valuable", but everyone below them are just marks.

Depends a lot on what it is and what the depreciation on new vs. used is. With jewelry in particular yeah, you're pretty much never going to see an increase over what you paid for it at the jewelry store because there's a stigma against used jewelry unless it's really old antique stuff so most gets sold for the value of the raw materials. Over a long enough time fame you'll make money but that's more about the appreciation of those materials.

If you're buying used and someone else already ate that depreciation? They can hold pretty steady and if nothing else rise in tandem with inflation. Might do a little better if there is an active collector community and there is a general increase in the value of the items as surviving examples dwindle and the number of people interested increase. The latter part is important, though: lots of collecting hobbies slowly die, and in that case the value of your poo poo trends down. See: stamps.

For Rolex's specifically the smart move (well, smart if you insist on buying a Rolex) is to buy a used one in good condition and don't gently caress it up. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cerekk posted:

The guy in the story is trying to do a weird hybrid of (1) and (2) by buying something he can't afford for the purpose of value storage but taking action to ensure maximum depreciation as fast as possible.

I think the guy in the story is the kind of mark for scammers like this:

https://i.imgur.com/F2t6Rbs.mp4
(From the eternal font of BWM - @TikTokInvestors)
[url]https://x.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1777078966878372188[url]

And yeah, the scammer's story is obviously a lie (where did he get the money for a tattoo if he spent his last dime on hiring a mentor, what the gently caress was he even selling, how did he get another new tattoo 2 weeks after the first when he wouldn't have even fully healed, etc etc etc), but it is absolute catnip to middle-class teenagers/twenty-year-olds who don't know anything about how to make money and are gonna post on Reddit about it.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

quote:

Days after their initial call, Michael called back to say would require $2,600 to cover the cross-border transaction, which he assured James would be reimbursed.

quote:

He was then hit with a second fee, costing $3,600.

quote:

Eventually, the fees racked up to $50,000, at which point James was contacted by a man who claimed to be with the UIF, Mexico’s financial intelligence unit. The man claimed James had committed several violations and would be extradited if he did not pay even heftier fines.

quote:

He was then convinced by the fraudsters to invest $32,000 in a sustainable housing investment in Mexico, eventually making a dozen payments for a variety of reasons.

quote:

James says he made his last payment in January, spending a stunning $890,000 across several bank accounts in Mexico.

That is... quite a jump. And all in the form of basically a pig butchering scam, I don't see anything about threats.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cerekk posted:

could be worse

This is some Chewbacca defense marketing.

quote:

Financing a Rolex isn't something you will find plastered all over the internet. That might be because the concept of Rolex Pay over time almost seems too good to be true.
There are things too good to be true all over the Internet all the time. Paying credit-cars interest rates to buy a watch is definitely not one of them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

awkward_turtle posted:

That is... quite a jump. And all in the form of basically a pig butchering scam, I don't see anything about threats.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A $1,400 SUV payment? A $1,600 truck payment? Sounds ‘absurd,’ but it’s becoming more common.

quote:

A TikTok user who goes by the name Blaisey Arnold says she has two massive car payments every month: one for her Chevy Tahoe SUV, which she financed for $84,000 at a 10% interest rate, and the other for her husband’s GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 pickup truck, financed for $78,000 at 14%.

The monthly payment on her Tahoe is $1,400, she says, and the Sierra payment is $1,600.

Lots more there to unpack, but JFC, $3,000/mo on vehicles

E: :lmao:

quote:

About 70% of monthly payments on large SUVs like the Tahoe are at least $1,000, and for large trucks such as a Sierra, that share is over 40%, said Joseph Yoon, a consumer-insights analyst at Edmunds.

I hate those things (large trucks and SUVs) so it brings me joy to know that most of the people that buy them are getting destroyed on monthly payments

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 10, 2024

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

lament.cfg posted:

to be fair, the S&P stayed stagnant or negative for the entirety of the 2000s, you invested 10k in jan 2001 you would have lost money until june 2012

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Like jewelry or musical instruments, liquidity is a big issue. Sure your thing may be worth $5000 but how long are you willing to let it sit for sale, and how much are you willing to let go in consignment or auction fees?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have a good job making 87k per year, but I’m drowning in debt. I won’t get into exact details, but the gist of it is a 750 mortgage, and a 500 second mortgage. I used that 40k home equity loan to pay off credit card debt. I then proceeded to rack up an additional 40k in credit card debt on top of that. Oh, and a 500 car payment for the wife. Mortgage will eventually also be going up by 750 or so when my tenant ( in law) retires.

A wife and three kids. The next largest expense is the one that kills me the most. My oldest daughter’s after school activity cost me 600 a month, plus travel costs during competition season.

She enjoys it. I just can’t afford it. I’d hate to have to tell her she can’t do it anymore, but I don’t see many other options. The wife would hate me for it too, because she doesn’t seem to care that we come up short on the bill every single month because of this.

What the hell am I supposed to do?

quote:

Why did you rack up 40k more in debt?

A host of reasons. Mostly because I spend more than I make. Throw in a trip to Disney world in there for 11k, a few thousand on a down payment for the car…

quote:

Has anybody seen this guy “follow my predictions” on WeBull. He’s asking 50 bucks a month to use his predictions. He posts the results for free and they always seem legit. However, who knows if he’s just posting in hindsight

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
“Spend less on everything”

“No”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Not going to Disney World would have saved them enough to cover 18 months of the daughter's activity.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i got a hundred bucks on competitive cheer

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

Not going to Disney World would have saved them enough to cover 18 months of the daughter's activity.

taking the kids to disney world with money we don't have is what separates us true blooded americans from those godless commies

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume it's horse related otherwise he'd say what it is

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Is Disney really that much? Or is it that much if you buy every loving experience under the sun?

Like if I buy fast passes for family of 4 and go 2 days, am I paying that lol?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have a good job making 87k per year, but I’m drowning in debt. I won’t get into exact details, but the gist of it is a 750 mortgage, and a 500 second mortgage.

How did this guy get $1.4M of mortgages on 87k a year? Even with zero interest/taxes/insurance/etc, that has to be like half his income?

Also, lol at spending 2 months salary on a trip to disney

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Multi hundreds a month, traveling for competitions - I don't see what else it could be.

Cerekk posted:

That would look more like a thousand plus a month in most cases, especially if competing and traveling to compete.

E:

drk posted:

How did this guy get $1.4M of mortgages on 87k a year? Even with zero interest/taxes/insurance/etc, that has to be like half his income?

What? Those are monthly payments. In dollars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cerekk posted:

It's pretty inexpensive for horses.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

rufius posted:

Is Disney really that much? Or is it that much if you buy every loving experience under the sun?

Like if I buy fast passes for family of 4 and go 2 days, am I paying that lol?

Depends. It boils down to about $100 per ticket per day for a single park, but if you want to jump between parks in a single day the price goes up to ~140. But if you buy more than one day at a time the price goes down on a per-day basis. A 5 day park hopper is about $500, for example.

Note that's per ticket. So if you're taking a family of 4 there for 5 days and get the park hopper you're into it for a bit over $2k just in tickets before you factor in hotels etc. 11k sounds a bit excessive, but who the gently caress knows what they were spending on hotels and airfare. Depending on what their travel costs were it could be anywhere from mildly overspending on some dumb poo poo to going full YOLO with the crazy priced experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

drk posted:

The way you read it makes sense, but I’m 95% sure he’s listed his monthly payment, not outstanding principal in thousands.