Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Stay as group is just a half-baked LFG so it's no wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I have high hopes for endorsements. My only question is how do you level up how many endos does it take to level up

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Some quick Sympressions:

M2 is godly. M1 is godawful except very, very, very situationally.

Absolutely no one will use your TP right. It's still very fun to be very mobile, though.

Ult is not the bee's knees or anything...but it counters snipers and more importantly Bastions like a motherfucker.

As I thought during PTR, she is much, much less survivable against a lot of heroes without her old shield but also, interestingly, much more dangerous to some of the others that might have rolled her before because of the distance advantage that her M2 and her new turrets provide. You don't have to get close to Reapers or Junkrats anymore to bombard them with Pharah-rocket-like projectiles, but Genjis or McCrees -- who you used to hunt for sport and pleasure -- will ruin you unless you're safely turret-nested.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

BrianWilly posted:

Some quick Sympressions:

M2 is godly. M1 is godawful except very, very, very situationally.

Absolutely no one will use your TP right. It's still very fun to be very mobile, though.

Ult is not the bee's knees or anything...but it counters snipers and more importantly Bastions like a motherfucker.

As I thought during PTR, she is much, much less survivable against a lot of heroes without her old shield but also, interestingly, much more dangerous to some of the others that might have rolled her before because of the distance advantage that her M2 and her new turrets provide. You don't have to get close to Reapers or Junkrats anymore to bombard them with Pharah-rocket-like projectiles, but Genjis or McCrees -- who you used to hunt for sport and pleasure -- will ruin you unless you're safely turret-nested.
Agreed with pretty much all of this after 20 Sym games on live today. I hope they buff her M1, because everything else is just excellent and I can't honestly think of a situation where I would want to use M1 over M2 ever.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
The new teleport definitely opens up some interesting roads. Flanked with a D.va on a map by accidentally putting the tp behind the enemy, was glorious.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Why does Sym's new teleporter require me to map an additional "interact" button for everyone? I play on console and all my buttons & d-pad directions are occupied. Shouldn't interact be the same as reload, the way it is for the Horizon telescope and the door charge in Retribution?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
The best part about this new patch was the first three or four games of Mystery Heroes before most people realized you can't endorse in that game mode. Everyone was so polite and even the enemy team was saying nice stuff about our team, lol

Then they realized their faux friendly attitude wasn't going to get them anything, so it was dropped and the games went back to being either zero text chat, or just the winning side saying "gg" per usual

Edit: Actually I'm kind of unhappy they decided to restrict endorsements from certain game modes. That's lovely. Not all of us want to play comp, but all of us deal with other players in this game.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 27, 2018

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Googling has sucked. This won't run on a Surface 3, right?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Starting to see the new mouse 1 is mostly for shields and slow tanks, while mouse 2 is better for everyone else. Glad to see my old setup I had for Sym of mapping mouse 2 to the mouse wheel works really well, as she goes into bullet hell mode.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
only had time for a few games, but LFG is really good so far. i joined a group called "fun comp" and it definitely delivered -- everyone was nice, good teamwork, and we won. also, like others, i'm finding that people seem less lovely in general; hopefully that lasts beyond launch day.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Should I be fully charging m2 for every shot?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

nickhimself posted:

Edit: Actually I'm kind of unhappy they decided to restrict endorsements from certain game modes. That's lovely. Not all of us want to play comp, but all of us deal with other players in this game.
Are they comp only or comp and QM?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I think you can also do it in QP actually

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
also i had a very confusing match where an entire 6-stack threw the game. is there some benefit to dropping SR that i don't know about? :confused:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mr. Glass posted:

also i had a very confusing match where an entire 6-stack threw the game. is there some benefit to dropping SR that i don't know about? :confused:

According to discord, it's so you get to play against easier opponents, so you're more likely to win, so you get to feel good about yourself for winning a video game against people who aren't good enough at it to be able to beat you.

Remember the ubiquitous "bgh comp stomp" games in the orignal starcraft? Basically that, but today, and with people 500 sr lower than you instead of 6 cpu bots set on easy.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Sym's M1 is actually great if and only if you're confident you can get it charged up to level 3. That typically means sticking near your tanks and zapping enemy tanks, barriers, or Mei walls for at least 4 seconds and then using that momentum to melt anything else that's nearby for the rest of the teamfight.

Under normal skirmish/1v1 circumstances your best bet is a mix of M2 and creative use of turrets. If you catch a squishy target unawares, you can deliver a huge burst by dropping 3 turrets on the floor in front of you and then placing a teleporter just behind your victim. Charge up your M2, take the TP and deliver a hot ball to their backside. The turrets will be teleported along with you and sear the remaining 80 damage to secure the kill in 0.45 seconds. Realistically you don't even need the turret shenanigans in a real ambush where the target doesn't react to you until they start taking damage -- 120 damage up front, then a half-second charge for 60 plus melee for 210 total. Then you can use the TP again if necessary to escape the wrath of his teammates.

Her ult barrier wall is obviously good if the enemy has a lot of ranged firepower, but it can also be a great option when you use it to bisect the arena where a teamfight is happening, e.g. the point or the cart. You can drop it "vertically" as you make your approach and then your entire team can dance back and forth whenever they're being shot at, using it as a very large and durable Orisa or Winston shield. And you can drop a line of your turrets on the ground on whichever side has fewer enemies to make them that much harder to destroy.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 27, 2018

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
One of the main reasons Sym was rebooted was because she was basically ignored by most high level players and she was the one hero that remained unused in OWL, but I don't see that changing after this. Her main weapon is basically diet Zarya, she's lost her barrier becoming even squishier, and the teleporters and turrets are fun and will make for a thousand funny youtube vídeos but I don't see them making her any more successful in high rank play than she was before. She's still a fringe hero and when the novelty wears off she'll be even less used because the people who were doing well with her in lower levels of play will move on to some other hero because she's no longer the noob frying goddess she used to be. Still having great fun teleporting Bastions behind enemy teams in QP though!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is treehouse still a thing? If so she should replace Mei and get the "technically was played on Anubis" time!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Max Awfuls posted:

One of the main reasons Sym was rebooted was because she was basically ignored by most high level players and she was the one hero that remained unused in OWL, but I don't see that changing after this. Her main weapon is basically diet Zarya, she's lost her barrier becoming even squishier, and the teleporters and turrets are fun and will make for a thousand funny youtube vídeos but I don't see them making her any more successful in high rank play than she was before. She's still a fringe hero and when the novelty wears off she'll be even less used because the people who were doing well with her in lower levels of play will move on to some other hero because she's no longer the noob frying goddess she used to be. Still having great fun teleporting Bastions behind enemy teams in QP though!

If there is a clever way to use her new kit, you can count on OWL figuring that out.

I feel like we've seen every hero used for more than purely gimmick reasons. Torb has been used on Numbani (I think even on offense once or twice?), Mei has been used on KOTH, Reaper has been used on Route 66 and other maps, etc.

Think Sym is literally the only hero that hasn't gotten some level of OWL play. Although Ana is extremely niche these days as well.

One thing that has always surprised me in OWL is how often Hog has been used but I guess halt + hook in pro hands is still pretty nice. I always thought Hog wouldn't get much play just because of how weak his ult is compared to other tanks but Hog gets plenty of play.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
has "gg, endorse me" become a thing yet?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

What is the harm in adding endorsements to Arcade? I don't care if people are pretending to be nice just to get points. The games were fifty billion times more fun because both sides were calling out the other when something crazy or cool would happen. God drat it

Give people a reason to be good and many will take that path. Only give them the opportunity to react negatively and that's all you'll get.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Max Awfuls posted:

They have to cut down, on the amounts of endorsements you can give per day or match so it actually means something, otherwise by the end of next month every single active player in the game will be a certified great teammate, a wonderful sport and a born leader. It wil be absolutelly meaningless and will correlate to actual team play as badly as leveling up correlates to being a good player, and people will move on from it because you can be an absolute poo poo and still point to your shiny rec status to show you're not.

I kind of think they should add more personally. The only people I generally vote well are the Healers/Tanks or maybe someone who stands out in particular. But you can only give one person a vote per day, which is somewhat sad when you play multiple rounds with them.

Max Awfuls posted:

I think you're maybe underestimating how powerful the new Sym is. If for no other reason than her teleport opens up a lot more options for teamplay in general. Old flanks which only a handful of people could go through now can be moved through with the entire team, such as Volskya or however its spelt. There is also the fact that you can use the teleport to move people and ults around as well. Thats not to even say how useful her turrets can be now that she can fling them behind teams as a distraction.

DeliciousCookie fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 27, 2018

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

has "gg, endorse me" become a thing yet?

no but those people wouldn't get voted for either.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hm. More Sympressions is that her ult charges waaaay too slowly for something that's fairly low-impact and requires such coordination from your teammates to be useful.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

She'll at least be used in OWL for putting Orisas in weird places during set up time.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Afterwhich she'll be switched off of before the any gameplay is done.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have no idea what situation will annoy me more; if Symmetra remains unused in high-level play, or if she gets a good chunk of use.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
First game since endorsements came in, and I got 5 in one shot. Just picked zen and called out all my discords. Pretty sure I called out a character that isn't even in OW at least once

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

My favorite Symmetra moment so far was on attack el dorado. The entire enemy team teleported to some building off in the distance to the right of the payload. Enemy dva, hanzo, lucio, and whoever else, stood there impotently as we rounded the corner through the overpass. i wanted to cry.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Surprised this hasn't popped up yet:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/sombra-rework-can-we-get-a-hint/139454/19

Tl;dr: planned changes to Sombra include unlimited Stealth and Translocator duration, but reduced bonus speed on Stealth and can't contest objectives while invisible. Delete your beacon by facing it and pressing F.

On the fence. On one hand, sounds fun on paper. On the other hand, if Cloak and Dagger Spies have taught me anything, this may usher a new age of garbage in pubs. Also I like, in a way, that the current limits on Sombra force decisions and lead to a frenetic gameplay style. Guess we'll see :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Could just raise the damage threshold on de-stealthing so a stray Roadhog pellet doesn't reveal her, and bump the invis time up again.

novaSphere posted:

I like, in a way, that the current limits on Sombra force decisions and lead to a frenetic gameplay style.

:agreed: Time pressure is a good thing.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Sombra’s going to become the ultimate throw pick now. Can literally run around invisible doing nothing. Indefinitely.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Santheb posted:

Sombra’s going to become the ultimate throw pick now. Can literally run around invisible doing nothing. Indefinitely.

So she'll be a Cloak and Dagger Spy from TF2. Which is the worst Spy watch by every possible metric.

Have fun with your teammates trying to ghost the whole match waiting for that perfect opportunity, everyone!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Be fair; the average DPS player might as well be perma-invis no matter what character they're playing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The next hero is a hamster in a giant destroyer droid looking mech.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I hope you blow the droid ball up and the hamster runs around so we can hear coms of "naked hammy naked hammy naked hammy"

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
GOTY all years.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

nickhimself posted:

I hope you blow the droid ball up and the hamster runs around so we can hear coms of "naked hammy naked hammy naked hammy"

are you sure it wouldn't be "baby ham"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

that hamster fuckin kicks rear end and might get me to pick this up a bit again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I'm explaining the hamster thing to my bf who is sorta but not really into the game and he is really excited about it. it's a win all around.