Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Odyssey block was so weird. Obviously you have Wizards intentionally skewing the color balance in different parts of the block, but it also had a bunch of weird tribes like Dwarves, Centaurs, Cephalids, Bird people etc. Not to mention it was the first block to really care about the graveyard, which we've seen revisited in a number of ways.

Also it had Terravore, one of my favorite cards ever but one that never sees play :sigh:

E: And a cycle of cards with the rules text "you win the game"!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

The Theros T1 decks were probably the cheapest in the past 8 years.

Yeah, UW Heroic was a real deck people won tournaments with and it cost like 40 bucks f.ex

Rabble Red was the cost of a playset of rabblemasters and then nothing else more than a buck

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

UberJew posted:

Yeah, UW Heroic was a real deck people won tournaments with and it cost like 40 bucks f.ex

Rabble Red was the cost of a playset of rabblemasters and then nothing else more than a buck

There was also a time when those rabbles were less than a buck and I got in a week before they were good.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

There was also a time when those rabbles were less than a buck and I got in a week before they were good.

I just opened 3 over prerelease and release weekend and traded some drek for the 4th so I could win game day with them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

Who was that in this thread that bought a boatload before the spike?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
More importantly, where are the cats that were trying to get a huge stack of Bazaar Traders and Cosi's Tricksters in 2010?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

More importantly, where are the cats that were trying to get a huge stack of Bazaar Traders and Cosi's Tricksters in 2010?

I've got like fifty Bazaar Traders! That was more because I thought the card was funny than speccing, though. I haven't done that with any other card except Harmless Offering, speaking of cats.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

C-Euro posted:

Odyssey block was so weird. Obviously you have Wizards intentionally skewing the color balance in different parts of the block, but it also had a bunch of weird tribes like Dwarves, Centaurs, Cephalids, Bird people etc. Not to mention it was the first block to really care about the graveyard, which we've seen revisited in a number of ways.

Also it had Terravore, one of my favorite cards ever but one that never sees play :sigh:

E: And a cycle of cards with the rules text "you win the game"!

Odyssey Block is nearly as weird as Time Spiral. Such a great, weird few sets. Judgement is maybe a bit weak.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Well that is a good reprint.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

They basically say ban Winding Constrictor, Heart of Kiran and Felidar Guardian or if they don't want to do that, just announce they will ban Felidar Guardian when Amonkhet comes out.

Their underlying point is that having 2 drops you lose to if you don't answer them sucks, and the combo breaks deck building for anything that wants to win on Turn 6 or later.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 1, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man I'm so glad everyone is still on this "we gotta ban things from standard" poo poo.

WotC honestly wouldn't have needed to ban Emrakul and Copter if they had printed actual answers to them.

Like seriously where's all the gravehate and artifact removal?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Man I'm so glad everyone is still on this "we gotta ban things from standard" poo poo.

WotC honestly wouldn't have needed to ban Emrakul and Copter if they had printed actual answers to them.

That's what they're saying - the answers literally don't exist so the only answer is to ban the threats.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Count Bleck posted:

In modern :iamafag:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Like I don't even play standard anymore and I still think it looks like it could be fun if they'd let dumb poo poo run around with actual answers to the dumb poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Turns out banning stuff from standard sets a really bad precedent

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
almost as bad as standard itself

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That is why they aren't banning any more poo poo from standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I am really confident that another 3 months of emmy would have really hurt WOTC bottom line. Standard as dog poo poo as it is right now, is better than whatever that standard would have produced.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hoping for a rest in peace reprint in amonkhet i guess?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

its me glenda posted:

Hoping for a rest in peace reprint in amonkhet i guess?

That'd be a good place for it in all honesty. Very flavorful.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nice.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Stupid dummyface prediction here:

With the new practice of announcing bans/unbans 5 weeks after the pro-tour, next weekend they'll unban Jace and announce "BTW here's a reprint".

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Sickening posted:

I am really confident that another 3 months of emmy would have really hurt WOTC bottom line. Standard as dog poo poo as it is right now, is better than whatever that standard would have produced.

They disagree. Standard was made worse by the big new set.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

born on a buy you posted:

Aether Revolt was a small set though?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well they printed all these great, new answers like Fatal Push to put in your BG deck which was already the best deck, and other quality answers such as

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jabor posted:

Aether Revolt was a small set though?

Big new just means "the product they push now" aka "the last thing released"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Big new just means "the product they push now" aka "the last thing released"

Are you saying they regret the bans, or that more bans are incoming (or both)?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Well they printed all these great, new answers like Fatal Push to put in your BG deck which was already the best deck, and other quality answers such as

Walking Balista is a colorless answer for all decks. Checkmate :smug:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Walking Balista is a colorless answer for all decks. Checkmate :smug:

Smuggler's Copter was a colorless answer to your opponent's life total.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Smuggler's Copter was a colorless answer to your opponent's life total.

And the best way to draw cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

And the best way to draw cards.

Truly it was the perfect card for a control deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Have they said what languages MM3 will be in? The usual 3?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Okay where is the Lord of Atlantis reprint!? :argh:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gzSVIgkEw

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

I figured that was going to be downshifted to Uncommon.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Seance guy is going to be pissed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dehtraen posted:

Seance guy is going to be pissed.

well the demand for Seance was "that one guy" and as we all know, reprinting a card will increase demand so the price can only go up uP UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Never understood the artifact removal complain. There are Fragmentize and Natural state. They are one mana artifact removal spells.

• Locked thread