Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Marriott-tier hotels with free breakfasts in busy areas are where it's at. Wear a nice shirt, look like a person doing a business, eat the foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Marriott-tier hotels with free breakfasts in busy areas are where it's at. Wear a nice shirt, look like a person doing a business, eat the foods.

Not shedding tears for business travel hotels and the breakfast buffet employees probably care even less, but that is just stealing. It turns out that you can walk into any number of places and take things without paying for them until someone stops you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not shedding tears for business travel hotels and the breakfast buffet employees probably care even less, but that is just stealing. It turns out that you can walk into any number of places and take things without paying for them until someone stops you.

Remember: if you see someone stealing food, no you didn’t.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It turns out that you can walk into any number of places and take things without paying for them until someone stops you.

Oh man this changes everything

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never thought to take food, but I have more than a few times ducked into a hotel on my way to work or whenever I'm downtown exploring to grab a "free" coffee.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Every single business this is a threat to factors it into their budgeting. They literally set aside millions a year. It really put into perspective the theater part of security theater when I learned what the grocery store I worked at set aside for the shrink budget, and how fast it made the yearly shrink budget back (roughly two weeks worth of sales).

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Every single business this is a threat to factors it into their budgeting. They literally set aside millions a year. It really put into perspective the theater part of security theater when I learned what the grocery store I worked at set aside for the shrink budget, and how fast it made the yearly shrink budget back (roughly two weeks worth of sales).

Two weeks worth of sales is almost 4% of yearly revenue. That's not a trivial amount lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
normal non grocery retail shrink is 1.5% ish. groceries actually have sky high shrink mainly from stuff rotting

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boris Galerkin posted:

"We're drowning and we don't know what to do"

E: I think each column represents 1 paycheck/person

I know this is a few pages back but just look at that delusion

also, bullshit that the super manly masculine turbo dude with a new 4Runner and a new Silverado only spends $150 on groceries a month. He's probably buying that much meat every 4 days.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
conforms to benfords law, anyways

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Warmachine posted:

They just write it off, Jerry!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

big shtick energy posted:

They just write it off, Jerry!

... I'm starting to think you don't actually know what that means, Kramer.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
"Have you never heard of something called insurance? :smug:"
—someone who apparently fundamentally misunderstands insurance and who increased rates get passed on to

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I worked at a department store and theft (mostly from employees) was an annoyance. Made doing inventory more tedious, made it take longer to leave every day when they sent a separate person to double-check the drawer counts, and made me lose sales I would have earned commission on because some trashy clerk stole the last one in stock.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

Every time vacation chat comes up and prices are tossed around, I'm thankful I bought a bunch of second hand camping gear in college and learned that not only is hiking beautiful, peaceful, and good for your health, but it's also cheap as gently caress.
Yeah, but what does that have to do with a vacation?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Note that "shrinkage" isn't just theft, it's everything that goes missing that is unexplained, like say because the business in question is using an inventory system from the 70s that frequently just lets things get stuck in a corner of a warehouse for months because someone transposed a couple of numbers in one of the twelve manual steps that has to be done by three different people for any given item at any given location.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Note that "shrinkage" isn't just theft, it's everything that goes missing that is unexplained, like say because the business in question is using an inventory system from the 70s that frequently just lets things get stuck in a corner of a warehouse for months because someone transposed a couple of numbers in one of the twelve manual steps that has to be done by three different people for any given item at any given location.

A few jobs ago my employer was shutting down a warehouse that had a small adjoining office building. While clearing it out they found a huge assed pile of really expensive materials (specialized inks) for the poo poo they made in the back corner that were totally worthless now due to age, and the packing slip attached to one of the pallets indicated they'd been there since the mid 80s. We're talking low 7 figures worth of poo poo, in Second Term Reagan dollars.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Steve Wynn will never financially recover from me eating some lovely scrambled eggs

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

We're talking low 7 figures worth of poo poo, in Second Term Reagan dollars.

I’d believe it. Just in time inventory management isn’t perfect and sure led to some problems during the pandemic, but a lot of the systems from the pre-late 90s or so were absolutely abysmal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

The number of people who will go out of their way / put in the effort to steal a mini-muffin they don’t need is inconsequential to a business, so I’m broadly going to assume that someone stealing food needs it.

Yeah I know there are exceptions, but gently caress it. I didn’t see you slip those strawberries into your coat.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 13, 2024

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

also, bullshit that the super manly masculine turbo dude with a new 4Runner and a new Silverado only spends $150 on groceries a month. He's probably buying that much meat every 4 days.

there is almost certainly a shitload of eating out expenses hidden in all the generic debt, since there is no line item for it. nearly everyone eats more than $0 of food away from home, especially people financing multiple trucks

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Every time vacation chat comes up and prices are tossed around, I'm thankful I bought a bunch of second hand camping gear in college and learned that not only is hiking beautiful, peaceful, and good for your health, but it's also cheap as gently caress.

unless you get bit by a tick and end up spending a week+ in the hospital and are on antibiotics for the next month, like i was growing up. never again going hiking that's for sure

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The bigger your truck the more the fast food workers respect you. Especially if it's too big to fit in the drive through and they have to walk your food out to you.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

The number of people who will go out of their way / put in the effort to steal a mini-muffin they don’t need is inconsequential to a business, so I’m broadly going to assume that someone stealing food needs it.

Yeah I know there are exceptions, but gently caress it. I didn’t see you slip those strawberries into your coat.

There are self-checkout shenanigans in high income areas that are pretty brazen (huh inventory is short on $300+ bottles and cooking wine sales are way up with little inventory movement), but at that point it’s the business cost of not paying people to work checkout.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It’s not only right to steal from Whole Foods, I t’s a moral imperative

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
rational reminder guys did an interview with a behavioral economist focused on why people are bwm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWjiQlHDe1s&t=1s

one thing that struck me off the bat is the research showing that if someone is presented a certain purchase like a car or a house at a certain value and debt load and told to imagine they bought it, people tend to focus more on the debt load. but if given the exact same value and debt load and told to imagine their neighbor bought it, people tend to focus more on the value

our jealous chimp brains are programmed actively make us feel lovely about what we have relative to what others have no matter what

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I have a strong feeling there's the barest amount of inventory control on hotel breakfast buffets, and they probably throw out far more than ever gets pocketed.

There was a movie with Christopher Walken called Five Dollars a Day where he played an incredibly cheap and unscrupulous man. One of his money saving tricks was ordering room service under a different room number, and then intercepting the tray saying his wife's still asleep and didn't want to wake her. A really impressive amount of cheapskate scams in that movie.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

drk posted:

there is almost certainly a shitload of eating out expenses hidden in all the generic debt, since there is no line item for it. nearly everyone eats more than $0 of food away from home, especially people financing multiple trucks

yeah they seem to be using the really bad method of accounting that my parents passed down to me (until i finally started using double-entry and tracking things properly). credit card bills (minimum monthly payment) are just bills you pay as part of your monthly expenses, like the electric bill or whatever. purchases charged to credit cards mean nothing and are free so you don't need to track them in your spending.

this does a very good job of laundering the $500 you spend specifically on mcdonalds every month into "oh that's just the credit card bill, nothin' ya can do 'bout that!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"My wife and I make $400,000 per year in Kentucky, travel internationally, and make monthly charity donations on par with our mortgage, but we are just getting by and it feels unfair that I might have to pay 2% more in taxes. That could really break our fragile finances."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Definitely don't want to know Mr. Littles' views on how hard the poorly paid staff at his staffing agency work.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this isn’t a politics thread. post BWM or move on

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This article's from last year:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/05/12/dixon-illinois-city-fraud-betrayal-00075869

But Patrick McKenzie just posted an excellent thread touching on it and related issues:

https://x.com/patio11/status/1777833277895626823

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phanatic posted:

This article's from last year:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/05/12/dixon-illinois-city-fraud-betrayal-00075869

But Patrick McKenzie just posted an excellent thread touching on it and related issues:

https://x.com/patio11/status/1777833277895626823

It's kind of insane how easy it is to get away with for nearly 20 years. But also

quote:

The U.S. Marshals auctioned off Crundwell’s assets — including five properties, dozens of cowboy hats, $250,000 worth of jewelry, 400 horses and a large quantity of horse semen — clawing back about $10 million for the city.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I own 2 cowboy hats and the second one was kind of a dumb purchase (maybe not so dumb if it fit a little better). But dozens? Do you think he would different ones just so people would notice? Gotta cycle the hat at Sunday church services? Struggling to comprehend that part.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Apparently she just didn't steal enough. I've been following this case because I know the guy:

https://behindmlm.com/companies/bitclub-network/doj-going-after-matt-goettsches-bitclub-network-millions/
https://behindmlm.com/companies/bitclub-network/goettsche-struggling-with-pre-trial-conditions-after-722m-ponzi/

While he's had a *shitton* of assets seized, after they decided he wasn't a flight risk and let him out of jail they've been living it up in his huge loving house. And wandering around town with his house arrest bracelet on, lol. Almost 5 years now. I think they are gonna settle at some point here and his family will still have a ton of money, from just the most obvious scam. We get upset about people stealing food from a hotel breakfast, but this guy.... He may never be able to work again, but why would he want to? And his family is set up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Son, if you're going to steal, make sure you steal enough to pay a team of high powered lawyers. Then you'll at least get to keep some of it and stay out of prison.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Son, if you're going to steal, make sure you steal enough to pay a team of high powered lawyers. Then you'll at least get to keep some of it and stay out of prison.

Yeah but make sure you steal from the government or poor people. If you steal from rich people with connections and lawyers of their own they’ll Madoff you and you’ll die in prison.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can I just choose to not do my taxes every year and just get audited?

I hate doing taxes. I work multiple gigs and have multiple retirement plans and it’s a bit of a headache filing and the amount I owe Uncle Sam every year seems so random.

What’s the worst that can happen if I choose to just not file my taxes and instead wait for the IRS to audit me for what I owe? (Aside from needing to pay interest?)

e: to be 100% clear this is from r/pf lol

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 16, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One weird trick, tax preparers hate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

rational reminder guys did an interview with a behavioral economist focused on why people are bwm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWjiQlHDe1s&t=1s

one thing that struck me off the bat is the research showing that if someone is presented a certain purchase like a car or a house at a certain value and debt load and told to imagine they bought it, people tend to focus more on the debt load. but if given the exact same value and debt load and told to imagine their neighbor bought it, people tend to focus more on the value

our jealous chimp brains are programmed actively make us feel lovely about what we have relative to what others have no matter what

I listened to this today, thanks. The podcast seems interesting too in general.

To your comment, the professor rationalized it as basically "I don't care if you're in debt I care if I'm in debt."

On Budgeting:

- I think I also heard her say that in one study, they asked the random pool of participants (with participants being people that use a partner credit union, so there's most likely a selection bias with that) approx 2/3 of people said they "budgeted." Budgeted is in quotes because the researchers didn't define what budgeting meant so as to allow the responders to decide for themselves.

- People who earn less and have irregular income tended to budget less than people who earned more and/or had regular income. When asked why, people said that budgeting made them feel poor so they didn't do it.

On Self-Worth vs Other's Worth:

- People were told to imagine either themselves or someone else getting a windfall and asked them how they'd imagine themselves/others spending the money. Most people said that they'd do a combination of saving and paying off debt. The interesting thing is that people were confident that they'd use the money to pay off more debt compared to the other guy. Maybe they just don't think other people are in as much debt, or maybe they just care more about their own debt situation. It kinda ties with what the OP I quoted said.

On Investing:

- In general, if people were given a choice between a safe 2% ROI vs a risky 10% ROI, taking the 2% ROI in their minds was equivalent to losing 8% ROI. They didn't see it as a 2% ROI, they just focused on the part that they could have gotten 8% more.

I might have gotten some details wrong. I listened to it before lunch on/off doing work. I might relisten to the investing portion as I thought that was pretty interesting.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 15, 2024