Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I haven't found the CivicX forums that bad but maybe it skews younger.

which begs the question: which car models have the best and worst forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

prom candy posted:

which begs the question: which car models have the worst forums?

All of them

Serious answer: VW vortex and nasioc suck. there's lots of good model specific info but in general they're just toxic communities. rennlist has its fair share of idiots as well, and has the added bonus of "take it to the dealer". AI / BYOBD2 is an island of rational thought and knowledge in this sea of madness and brand champions.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/joannafidalgo/status/1318552123437686784?s=19

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
It does looks a lot like a fat i3 or X1. Its the Skoda Enyaq for anyone wondering. Their version of the ID.4. I don't hate it to be fair. It looks like it drops some of VWs haptic touch pad bullshit for actual buttons.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bajaha posted:

All of them

Serious answer: VW vortex and nasioc suck. there's lots of good model specific info but in general they're just toxic communities. rennlist has its fair share of idiots as well, and has the added bonus of "take it to the dealer". AI / BYOBD2 is an island of rational thought and knowledge in this sea of madness and brand champions.
QFT. AI is the only car forum I willingly hang out on when I'm not actively trying to fix something.

Which is rare with a WRX. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bajaha posted:

All of them

Fcaebook groups are even worse. How. HOW can you be worse than NASIOC?

Turns out yes, you can actually get worse. A lot worse

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
grap on my tired though. wtlw

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's interesting to contrast Ford forums to the GM forums. The Ford fans are notably further right leaning, and much more fanboish than the GMers.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mustang forums are an amazing intersection of boomers and Instagram/youtube wannabes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only reason to hang out in model specific toxi-forums or facebook pages is to buy used parts. They never offer anything of value beyond that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the only thing worse than car culture is gun culture and the overlap is like 92%

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haha cool

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

So is the Charger old enough that Dodge has fixed most of the problems with it? I know it’s not modern, but the rental 2019 V6 we have right now is decent enough to make the wife sort of want one. It has enough power and the radio is nice. She had a 2014 Ford Explorer (that we rolled over twice in) but wants a smaller vehicle, and smaller SUVs seem terrible. Maybe it’s only GM, we borrowed a 2019 Equinox from my dad and it was a turd sandwich to drive despite ok amenities. I had a 2013 392 Challenger previously so I know they can be undependable, lovely cars.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

wallaka posted:

So is the Charger old enough that Dodge has fixed most of the problems with it? I know it’s not modern, but the rental 2019 V6 we have right now is decent enough to make the wife sort of want one. It has enough power and the radio is nice. She had a 2014 Ford Explorer (that we rolled over twice in) but wants a smaller vehicle, and smaller SUVs seem terrible. Maybe it’s only GM, we borrowed a 2019 Equinox from my dad and it was a turd sandwich to drive despite ok amenities. I had a 2013 392 Challenger previously so I know they can be undependable, lovely cars.

I've always wanted a Hellcat Charger so I'm wondering how they manage to be unreliable. How do they gently caress up what should be a straightforward thing, a big V8 with a ZF 8 speed transmission? Or is it a case of everything else slowly failing around the drivetrain?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

even a nominally simple and reliable design needs to be put together properly

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Is FCA still writing their own transmission software?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm, Fiat Strada aka the Ram 700 for Mexico is like the perfect cheap small truck.

quote:

The Strada isn’t winning any design or material contests, but it’s not trying to with a $11,630 converted base price and $14,628 fully loaded. Still, there’s a 7.0 inch touchscreen with smartphone connectivity on offer, plus a whole suite of active safety systems.

Strada’s won’t be winning any drag races, unfortunately, as the engine in the base level ‘Endurance’ trim makes just 85 hp. Step up to the mid level ‘Freedom’ or top-level ‘Volcano’, and you get a 109 hp four cylinder. And yes, the trim levels actually are Endurance, Freedom and Volcano.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I wonder if they'll try to federalize that if Ford ends up releasing the Maverick. I could see them selling a bunch to tradespeople for instance.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I occasionally think about buying a Hellcat Challenger and then I think there's no goddamn way I'm paying 70 grand for a fifteen year old platform with a 6 year old interior.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I was thinking about buying a new Wrangler (until I drove one) they had a few Charger Daytona wide bodies.....For $112,000

I was shocked, who the gently caress would pay that much for a loving Dodge sedan, I don't care what engine is in it

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I live near a base and I see so many Hellcats that my brain tunes them out now. My apartment complex at one point had 5 different V8 trims of Challengers.

So yeah, those people.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dk2m posted:

I live near a base and I see so many Hellcats that my brain tunes them out now. My apartment complex at one point had 5 different V8 trims of Challengers.

So yeah, those people.

Like 80% of the street racing videos I come across on tik tok are FCA cars too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bajaha posted:

All of them

Rennlist/Pelican can be pretty decent, although the "Members Only" Politics forum on Rennlist is an echo chamber of insane Trumpers who mostly seem to own Porsche 944/928s.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the only thing worse than car culture is gun culture and the overlap is like 92%

Someone on the Bronco forums was complaining they were not going to be able to get one because they were going to lose their job after the election. The reason for their unemployment was that guns were going to be illegal and he sold guns.

Yeah dude. Sure. Biden is going to take your guns. Right after Obama finally gets around to it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I totally get that it will be easier for him to buy a Bronco if Trump wins. I mean, a mass culling of the population due to disease will surely lower the potential buying pool, freeing up slots.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Not much buzz in this thread for GM resurrecting Hummer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to guess the $112k starting price (and the fact that it's a pickup rather than an actual hummer) has something to do with that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

More chat in the EV thread about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, with the production rollout they are talking about with the base model not coming out till 2024, it does kinda seem like vaporware at the moment.

There's a lot of stuff that can happen between 2024 (and hell, even 2022 when the limited launch editions are coming out.)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's hard to get excited for it even if it sounds cool, it's just another rich person toy for now. Six figure starting price and the initial production run is already sold out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It looks terrible inside and out so it's very hard to get excited about it. The price tag being the final nail in the coffin.

I'd like to drive one though just to say I had.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yet another ridiculously huge, insanely heavy murder machine to be worried about on the roads, yay!

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The new hummer looks like something from a Battletech technical readout.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I somehow give less of a gently caress about the hummer than I do about the Ugly Cybertruck. Quite a feat GM!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hmm, Fiat Strada aka the Ram 700 for Mexico is like the perfect cheap small truck.

This is cool, is it a rebadge of something? I just checked the Italian site and they have no mention of the Strada at all, just 5 versions of the 500/Panda and the Tipo.

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to guess the $112k starting price (and the fact that it's a pickup rather than an actual hummer) has something to do with that.

So it's exactly like the H1 then?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Rennlist/Pelican can be pretty decent, although the "Members Only" Politics forum on Rennlist is an echo chamber of insane Trumpers who mostly seem to own Porsche 944/928s.

True as well for the BMW off topic forums, just lurking chuds/trolls/bots that may or may not actually own a BMW and are just there to push misinformation and whatever their "Daily OUTRAGE!!!" is. :freep:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

So it's exactly like the H1 then?

And just as unattainable and impractical.

To be clear, when we are talking about the "Hummer" brand, there are two things here. The military vehicle and the mainstream H2/H3 Hummer bros that actually made GM money.

GM built an H1 replacement without a military pedigree. That services neither the hardcore milcosplay guys with money nor the H2 bros who like to think they are milcosplay guys with money.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Keyser_Soze posted:

True as well for the BMW off topic forums, just lurking chuds/trolls/bots that may or may not actually own a BMW and are just there to push misinformation and whatever their "Daily OUTRAGE!!!" is. :freep:

I had to do a deep dive for work and *a lot* of car forums are owned by a company called Internet Brands. They also own WebMD. They are a sneaky dominant media company

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

I had to do a deep dive for work and *a lot* of car forums are owned by a company called Internet Brands. They also own WebMD. They are a sneaky dominant media company

They own vBulletin too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

This is cool, is it a rebadge of something? I just checked the Italian site and they have no mention of the Strada at all, just 5 versions of the 500/Panda and the Tipo.

Developing markets only, now. It left Europe in like, 2012? or so?