Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the fact that Loup can dial down the crazy well enough to pass for a shy newbie is honestly the scariest thing about him so far

I’m not sure if Coyote would be able to keep his ineffable Coyote-ness in check the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

coyote absolutely dialed it down too, all the time

loup is no longer trying to manhandle the forest and I wonder if that's freed up his conscious mind

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I’m not sure if Coyote would be able to keep his ineffable Coyote-ness in check the same way

He managed to do a good dead goose in a bush once!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oxxidation posted:

the fact that Loup can dial down the crazy well enough to pass for a shy newbie is honestly the scariest thing about him so far

Of course he could. He was so good at pretending that he even fooled himself, after all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

He managed to do a good dead goose in a bush once!

I guarantee you there were a lot of nearby forest creatures puzzled as to why this dead goose in a bush kept cackling about what a wonderful dead goose in a bush it was

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trend Upsilon posted:

Kat has done way more to address the robots' lovely deal with the Court than Paz ever has for the animals.

Interestingly, one of these two characters is deeply involved with the Court bureaucracy , while the other has been shown to be trying to avoid and work around it as much as possible. Weird how that works out, oh well!

I mean one is based on a fantasy concept while the other is based on a real world concept. Like, there's no real world equivalency to what's happening with the robots, but without animal testing in real life we wouldn't have open heart surgery, penicillin, antidepressants, and a whole host of other life saving medical procedures.

The writer can do whatever they want with the robots, but if you try to do the same thing with the animals you kind of can't avoid diving into the real and very valid reasons why we do animal testing and that's a whole big complicated thing the author (understandably) probably doesn't want to get into.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

He is more or less doing it right now, minus the few times he couldn't help and pop out to brag about how great he is at being dead. :v:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I kind of want the robot girl to befriend Loup now. Heck maybe even ship them, if just a large part of it is finding out what sort of power couple a robot turned woman and a crazy forest God are.

Trend Upsilon
Jan 15, 2022

by Hand Knit

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean one is based on a fantasy concept while the other is based on a real world concept. Like, there's no real world equivalency to what's happening with the robots, but without animal testing in real life we wouldn't have open heart surgery, penicillin, antidepressants, and a whole host of other life saving medical procedures.

The writer can do whatever they want with the robots, but if you try to do the same thing with the animals you kind of can't avoid diving into the real and very valid reasons why we do animal testing and that's a whole big complicated thing the author (understandably) probably doesn't want to get into.

Pretty sure trans folk aren't "a fantasy concept", friend.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

interested in where loup will align himself in all this or if he'll stay out of it save for watching and being entertained. he has some sort of grudge against both sides of this internal court ideological conflict that seems to be brewing.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Splicer posted:

I told your about the pipes. I knew it was important.

You did. And not one of us understood the real importance of what you said.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Ah, pulling the ol’ Jolly Elfsberry

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Trend Upsilon posted:

I didn't know trans folks had upgraded to full cybernetic bodies

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

pull up, thread

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Abort.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trend Upsilon posted:

They aren't, but they also aren't robots?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Trend Upsilon posted:

If you are trans and find the robot bits relatable then I'm not going to try to argue with that or try to take that away from you. However I feel there are some subtle differences between my understanding of the trans experience and the specifics of the robot story as told in Gunnerkrigg Court that would make drawing as direct a comparison as you are implying to be problematic to say the least.

It's obviously actually about escaping capitalism.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Patware posted:

pull up, thread

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

we are nearing minimum safe altitude release ballast and level out

Level out!!

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Hey as a trans person equating the actual real animal testing ethics problems with the entire robot stuff by implying the robot stuff is trans metaphor feels weird!

I've never gotten any sort of trans theming wrt the robots so.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
idk robots being an allegory for transhumanism is a pretty noncontroversial statement by my reckoning :haw:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Gunnerkrigg has a very open if long path to becoming your true gender.

Nonbinary Robot > Human Woman > Bird Woman > Magical Soul Stone > Human Man used for processing power.

Assuming the Court is still has its species re-assignment program open for Forest animals of course.

Which makes me wish Tom would explore the Forest > Court, Court > Forest aspect in terms of immortality.

Conceivably a character could keep changing from human to animal and back again in order to obtain longer life and escape death. I'm basing this off of the Rabbit boy. When he was a rabbit I would think he was older in rabbit years than when he was reborn as a boy in Gunnerkrigg.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Shell being a jerk after a nice compliment? Yup! Her being drawn more cartoony then the other cartoon characters in the story? Check. Throwing literal over the shoulder dismissive comments as she walks away? Yeah. Do I like the character as someone I would hang out with? Nope! Considering the Loup blending in as a naive nobody recently, something's up here, and I don't think I like where this may lead, but it's quite interesting and my interest is peaked recently!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Twenty Four posted:

Shell being a jerk after a nice compliment? Yup! Her being drawn more cartoony then the other cartoon characters in the story? Check. Throwing literal over the shoulder dismissive comments as she walks away? Yeah. Do I like the character as someone I would hang out with? Nope! Considering the Loup blending in as a naive nobody recently, something's up here, and I don't think I like where this may lead, but it's quite interesting and my interest is peaked recently!

If it wasn't an bonus page after the chapter, I'd almost think it was foreshadowing about her true nature. Maybe this is actually a shape-shifting dover demon rather than Shell?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Are you implying shell is Also loup because that would be hilarious

HE'S LOUP SHE'S LOUP EVERYBODY GETS A LOUP

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Everybody is Loup and Loup is, of course, actually Coyote.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I like Shell, but I DO not like how she's drawn in that last panel, that's some uncanny valley poo poo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tiny Myers posted:

Are you implying shell is Also loup because that would be hilarious

HE'S LOUP SHE'S LOUP EVERYBODY GETS A LOUP

She was around before he existed, so it would be unlikely, but not impossible.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The real secret is that one of the Annies was actually Loup and now she's half-Loup.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

I like Shell, but I DO not like how she's drawn in that last panel, that's some uncanny valley poo poo.

this is what men actually want us to look like

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

she's trying to win a limbo competition without bending her knees

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Niavmai posted:

this is what men actually want us to look like

What no

Well, those of us not named Popeye, anyhow.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

she's from Cardiff

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

and then the fried egg dress was never seen again

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

It's the lack of hair shading for me.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Getting some weirdly Hetty vibes from that last panel for some reason. I dunno why.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wow, from transphobia to attacking a woman based solely on her looks. This thread has really hit a new low.

e: Also, is Arthur the only bot that got a genitalia consultation? Doesn't seem fair to the rest of the bots

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 27, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Wow, from transphobia to attacking a woman based solely on her looks. This thread has really hit a new low.

e: Also, is Arthur the only bot that got a genitalia consultation? Doesn't seem fair to the rest of the bots

we know that loup's companion robot has genitals

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Scholtz posted:

gosh i sure hope this is sarcasm, but i'm too terminally online to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Scholtz posted:

If she didn't want to be made fun of, she wouldn't have allowed herself to be drawn with the same proportions as Pops from Regular Show.