Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

blaise rascal posted:

oh yeah that picture might have been appropriate for byob but it was terrible for demonstrating what the candies actually are

the candies are just hard candy. nearly entirely sugar with a tiny bit of food color, as well as fruit extract and citric acid for flavoring

e: but what you are saying about "don't even make anything with a pot leaf image, ever" is probably good advice

i don't eat much candy, being a type 1 diabetic and all, but i think the best candy is those soft fruit gems. like an orange slice candy but even softer and coated with sugar

how hard are these to make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout

blaise rascal posted:

oh yeah that picture might have been appropriate for byob but it was terrible for demonstrating what the candies actually are

the candies are just hard candy. nearly entirely sugar with a tiny bit of food color, as well as fruit extract and citric acid for flavoring

e: but what you are saying about "don't even make anything with a pot leaf image, ever" is probably good advice

in jolly old England this is sold in sticks and is called “rock”, a seaside staple

alnilam

Jaded Burnout posted:

in jolly old England this is sold in sticks and is called “rock”, a seaside staple

Me to a shady brit with a trenchcoat: hey, can I buy some rock around here?

Brit: oi m8 i got some right good rock yea, take a butchers *opens coat to show baggies of colorful candy*

FluffieDuckie

blaise rascal posted:

i love watching videos of that stuff being made. it's incredible

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Okay cool, sorry for misunderstanding. I wish you the best of luck- the confectionary business was ruthless even before Amazon. Isaac Asimov's parents ran a candy store and he determined it was not worth following in their footsteps when he was ten.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Okay cool, sorry for misunderstanding. I wish you the best of luck- the confectionary business was ruthless even before Amazon. Isaac Asimov's parents ran a candy store and he determined it was not worth following in their footsteps when he was ten.
so he went into the incredibly lucrative career of fiction writing, makes sense

thanks for the well wishes

Jaded Burnout posted:

most Americans don’t even know this candy exists! Americans use the term “rock candy” to refer to this stuff:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_candy

Luvcow posted:

i don't eat much candy, being a type 1 diabetic and all, but i think the best candy is those soft fruit gems.

how hard are these to make?
Those are really good! No clue how to make them

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

sb hermit

Luvcow posted:

its pizza friday, i hope everyone eats good pizza today

dang, I got the memo too late, maybe I can make a pizza or something

Jaded Burnout

blaise rascal posted:

most Americans don’t even know this candy exists!

Does it have the same minty but not actually minty flavour, I wonder

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

hamjobs posted:

I think honestly you did the right thing. If you hate the job and you're going to be financially okay, plus you have something loving amazing coming up--gently caress the man, and also quit your job.

omg thank you.

"Irrational act" and "power play" are synonyms in a dumb office job you hate. Dumb office jobs are like silt that forms under a constant stream of people who make all their decisions the same, because they all see the same statistics and make the same calls, over and over and over, like mindless water drops stuck in the path of least resistance.

But you're not a mindless water droplet, you're a complex being with agency, and agency is only apparent when it defies reason. Good for you if you can bet no on a 51 or yes on a 49, most people are too gutless.

Oh and the wingwalker thing is great but it's not a metaphor, it's a simile, they used the word 'like' :pseudo:

i definitely overthought it. youre right, the fact of being complex means there's no reason to have to explain to coworkers who of course won't take the time out to try and understand a complex thing. or to explain to myself, because happiness never has to be explained. ight. tight. this is sick

Jaded Burnout posted:

There is a persistent wisdom in the oldie programmer advice thread never to accept a counteroffer, so you're in line with that at least.

that makes me feel good cause i admire programmers.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I know theres plenty of office job threads but.... my boss, in addition to being the nicest person i know, she is also the best person at being automatic/pretending to be warm/caring upon every greeting and phone call. It's not a human possibility to be nice and care about 2 dozen different people a day in a high stress job. Keeping that up is work in itself.. why work somewhere where thats what you strive to or deal with the equal misery of being cold and hating everyone! why! life is short... if you can, you should take risks to find something natural and genuine for your attention and energy

Grimwit

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Hey, Byob'ers.

The wife is looking around a property to move to without me. Our seperation is near complete and I don't have a toke to celebrate.

Not looking forward to being without her,
But AM looking forward to being alone.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

Could be better.
Could be worse.
Thank God for good coffee.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I made some ice cream:

Home made ice cream is not very photogenic, also, it is hard to get the texture exactly right.

Robot Made of Meat

Grimwit posted:

Hey, Byob'ers.

The wife is looking around a property to move to without me. Our seperation is near complete and I don't have a toke to celebrate.

Could be better.
Could be worse.

Hey Grimwit.

Sorry to hear about the situation, but . . . maybe this is a new start. Perhaps the start of something good?

I know it's scary, but hang in there. And find a toke!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Grimwit

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Hey Grimwit.

Sorry to hear about the situation, but . . . maybe this is a new start. Perhaps the start of something good?

I know it's scary, but hang in there. And find a toke!

It IS Scarry. I've been married for almost 10 years. That said, I'm gonna be alright. I lived alone for 10 other years before her. Still hurts, tho.

This is one of those rare marital mismatches where we are super cival about it. No thrown plates or adultery. Just... not working out. I love her and she doesn't. [Sigh]

Anyway. I think it's gonna be Slime Rancher for the rest of the night.
Thanks for reading, yo.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Grimwit posted:

It IS Scarry. I've been married for almost 10 years. That said, I'm gonna be alright. I lived alone for 10 other years before her. Still hurts, tho.

This is one of those rare marital mismatches where we are super cival about it. No thrown plates or adultery. Just... not working out. I love her and she doesn't. [Sigh]

Thanks for reading, yo.

:smith:

good luck, don't really know what else to say bc it seems like you're facing an incredibly personal sea change in your life but I do hope it works out for the better for both of you

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
grimwit i know this might not be relevant, but my grandparents on my mother's side lived an unhappy marriage, basically only for the children's sake. they were both very progressive people (my grandmother bless her marxist bones was the reddest of communists), but they were not in love for the 40-ish years they were married.

and then my grandmother died of cancer. my grandfather, the ever-faithful husband, was always near and supportive, despite the fact that they were never a happy couple.

and when she died, he flourished - travelling the world, doing all sorts of crazy stuff at a very old age,

what im trying to say is that they would both have been a lot happier if they had been prepared to make that break a long time ago

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete

Grimwit posted:

Hey, Byob'ers.

Could be better.
Could be worse.

Grimwit posted:

Thanks for reading, yo.

:sympathy: I'm sorry, man. I know this may not be what you want to hear right now, but count your blessings that it's a civil separation. I can't say that I'd be the best person to talk to, but if you want to shoot the poo poo and talk about dumb stuff just hit me with a PM.

Farecoal

There he go

glowing-fish posted:

I made some ice cream:

Home made ice cream is not very photogenic, also, it is hard to get the texture exactly right.

i think that's just sand? from the beach??

BoldFrankensteinMir

Farecoal posted:

That's because
The glowing fish
Is an ice-cream sand
Witch.

TwoogBuk LLC

Hello sun.
Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.
May I buy you again tomorrow?

Twenty Four

The end of the year and the follow up has been hectic, and it doesn't look like it is getting any easier, but I wanted to make sure to say hi to my byob friends when I had then chance! Best wishes to all!

bird.

Best wishes 24! Hope things simmer down soon!

Twenty Four

Thanks friend!

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Farecoal posted:

Okay, I hope this doesn't shock BYOB, but my ice cream isn't just ice cream. It has :catdrugs:
That "sand" is poppy seeds.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

glowing-fish posted:

Okay, I hope this doesn't shock BYOB, but my ice cream isn't just ice cream. It has :catdrugs:
That "sand" is poppy seeds.

I'M A COP AND YOU HAVE TO TURN OVER THE CONTRABAND NOW

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
https://twitter.com/AkkiJ_/status/1081559861899468800

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

hamjobs posted:

I'M A COP AND YOU HAVE TO TURN OVER THE CONTRABAND NOW

drat, well, if you are a cop, I guess I will turn it in.

Do you have a Dropbox I can e-Mail it to?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

glowing-fish posted:

drat, well, if you are a cop, I guess I will turn it in.

Do you have a Dropbox I can e-Mail it to?

Ya it's defintelynotacop420lol69@yahoo.com

Grimwit

Thanks, Everyone.

This, too, shall pass.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Grimwit posted:

Thanks, Everyone.

This, too, shall pass.
I think a lot of guys can understand the pain of loving a girl who no longer loves you back. You, of course, are in a unique situation because of how long you were with her. I'm sorry.

I don't have much advice other than that you shouldn't feel bad about loving her. It's a *good* thing that you have a lot of love in your heart.

Anyway it seems like you are handling this with more maturity than a lot of guys would in your situation, but maybe you could still benefit from some therapy? If you aren't already doing therapy now? Lots of people do therapy just for a short amount of time to help get over a rough patch.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Farecoal

There he go
https://twitter.com/Bodegacats_/status/1080971811968315392

sound UP

BoldFrankensteinMir

What the hell is "Soft eating liquorice"?

As opposed to weapons-grade liquorice?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Or maybe it says "Soft Latino Licorice"?

FluffieDuckie

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Hello sun.
Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.
May I buy you again tomorrow?

why hello there. i like your turkey

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hard medicinal licorice, maybe?
(Real black licorice sticks made of nothing but boiled down licorice are pretty extreme, and are definitely hard. Not the raw root sticks, this is another thing that I can't find any more.)

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

aww

here's a great gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/sCOMJYm

https://i.imgur.com/bVeEzNE.mp4

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

TwoogBuk LLC

FluffieDuckie posted:

why hello there. i like your turkey

Hi, and thank you.

I quite like your avatar too. Probably for different reasons though.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I mean if you've ever had licorice root it is definitely weapons grade

The bagged eating licorice is for candy, the root is usually marked medicinal licorice or licorice root, etc

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also confectionary licorice especially the soft nuggets are delicious and that's my opinion on candy.

Bad idea: hambøng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Well I just don't know liquorice then, clearly. Dang.