Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lets Pickle posted:

Goddamn like every preview is a hit, except for loving Seance.

I would guess that there will be a cycle of Ally-colored gold mythics, which is the only reason I can think of for Domri Rade making it in. So Voice of Resurgence probably is in the set, as well as Rakdos's Return. I have no idea what the U/B would be, probably something crappy like Havengul Lich but maybe Time Sieve?

Glimpse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I'd still like it if we could get Glimmervoid, Mox Opal, Hierarch, Goyf, Voice, Cavern, Maelstrom Pulse, Lightning Helix, and Bolt (again) but even if none of those cards make it in I think this set is in a good spot.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Card we just printed in a precon that costs like 2 bucks

Well, it's not like there are any expensive red mythics to take that spot

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

There's a few cards that I still want to see reprinted but when I look at what's in the set so far there's nothing that makes me think that they wasted this slot on crap instead of using it for something else that desperately needs to be reprinted.

also Mortician Beetle, Gnawing Zombie, Bone Splinters, Magma Jet, and Burning-Tree Emissary at common and Vithian Stinger at unc

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

also Mortician Beetle, Gnawing Zombie, Bone Splinters, Magma Jet, and Burning-Tree Emissary at common and Vithian Stinger at unc

OK There are 2 garbage rares.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Is Pauper like Legacy/Vintage where any card printed at common in a tournament-legal set is legal in the format?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mcmagic posted:

Aristocrat has been working well in my testing of Aristocrat decks. Actually, extractor Demon has given me some ideas too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is Pauper like Legacy/Vintage where any card printed at common in a tournament-legal set is legal in the format?

I believe so, yes.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ThePeavstenator posted:

Check local store rules, some go strictly by mtgo, others go by tournament legal set commons in paper plus mtgo. Many follow mtgo ban list, if they go by tournament legal set commons they will likely have some other cards banned as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://i.imgur.com/Qv0BPe8.gifv

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Burning tree emissary and Magma jet at common? Pauper players are happy.

Oh god. No! The format really doesn't need more aggro and it definitely doesn't need "oops I drew 2 BTEs, here's 10 power on turn 2 on the play" aggro. Magma Jet is cool but probably won't see any play.

Angry Grimace posted:

Dumb reprint that they got supremely lucky on because it spiked to $17.50 in the last couple weeks:

It's been $10 for a pretty long time now.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Oh god. No! The format really doesn't need more aggro and it definitely doesn't need "oops I drew 2 BTEs, here's 10 power on turn 2 on the play" aggro. Magma Jet is cool but probably won't see any play.

It's been $10 for a pretty long time now.

Magma jet will probably go in burn (ugh). Might help smooth out some control decks? Not sure where BTE will fit yet, dunno if it actually goes in green stompy. Maybe tribal flames aggro.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DangerDongs posted:

I think this Friday is when they pull a gotcha, and reveal that the rest of the set is garbage. They have let us feel joy for far too long already.

Guaranteed people are going to complain about all the commons and uncommons being "garbage" with "no value" because they aren't drafters and don't understand how sets work.

mcmagic posted:

At least they downgraded Aristocrat from Mythic.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Well, it's not like there are any expensive red mythics to take that spot

This has always been a problem for Modern Masters sets. There just aren't any red valuable red mythics in Modern. Kiki-Jiki was the closest you got, and that's plummeted since Twin got banned.
For this set, my money would have been on them picking Bonfire and Thundermaw Hellkite. Neither of which are that exciting as reprints, but what in Red is?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 1, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My friend that works in the LGS I frequent told me yesterday that people had been coming in complaining all day about mm17 for various reasons. They do exist.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's the most expensive mono-red card in Modern?

e: It's Goblin Guide, isn't it? Wait, no, it's got to be Blood Moon.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

What's the most expensive mono-red card in Modern?

Blood moon atm.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I bet Blood Moon's not in because it's on their "we might need to ban this" watch-list.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hmm yes past in flames.

Even thundermaw would've been better.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Magma jet will probably go in burn (ugh). Might help smooth out some control decks? Not sure where BTE will fit yet, dunno if it actually goes in green stompy. Maybe tribal flames aggro.

Yea burn with more consistent draws seems scary.

BTE seems bad in stompy, it doesn't let you hold up a pump spell and there's not much to do with the red mana. BTE into one drop doesn't really sound scarier than stompy casting two 1-drops.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Hmm yes past in flames.

Even thundermaw would've been better.

past in flames actually sees play tho???

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

past in flames actually sees play tho???

Counterpoint: Bonfire of the Damned. Entreat the Angels.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Miracles are the bulliest bullshit to poo poo bulls.

Thragtusk is not needed.

The rest is GAS

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This set is a goddamn goldmine. If they print at EMA quantities Modern is going to become the best format forever for everyone.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm fine with most of the mythics being low value cards. It means they'll show up and ruin less drafts and aren't taking up slots for cards in high demand. Feels bad to open one I guess but high value cards at rare instead means more copies to go around and lower prices.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

These are the big reprints we've seen so far and their approximate pre-spoiler prices:

Liliana $90
Snapcaster $40
Linvala $40
Craterhoof Behemoth $25

Scalding Tarn $75
Damnation $60
Verdant Catacombs $60
Arid Mesa $50
Misty Rainforest $50
Marsh Flats $35
Goblin Guide $30

And then a whoooole bunch of cards around $10 like basilisk collar, death's shadow, zur, grafdiggers, etc, and another Path reprint.

If MM17 is printed enough to keep the packs around MSRP, this stuff is gonna drop hard and I love it.

E: Plus it's still likely we're gonna get Cavern of Souls, and probably a few other decent reprints that haven't been spoiled yet.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 1, 2017

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I own playsets of most of the really expensive cards that are getting reprinted and I think it's great. More people will be able to get them and play with me so that I can roll them with my Eldrazi Tron deck. Also it's unrealistic to expect cards to hold $100 prices forever, but they'll still remain valuable.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

If MM17 is printed enough to keep the packs around MSRP

lol

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

If MM17 is printed enough to keep the packs around MSRP, this stuff is gonna drop hard and I love it.

Bruh

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They did it with EMA, I gotta hold out hope they'll do it for this too.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

If Noble Hierarch isn't in this set, it will be $80 by summer.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fish Of Doom posted:

It has to be in spot 131, and there can be no other cards that start with Mi through Pr for it to be in the set, if I'm reading this right.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Counterpoint: Bonfire of the Damned. Entreat the Angels.

yeah cool complain about those (altho forgetting miracles exists just because its a legacy deck is suspect) and not the reprint of a card that sees play

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

It has to be in spot 131, and there can be no other cards that start with Mi through Pr for it to be in the set, if I'm reading this right.

I mean there are a few other options.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I mean there are a few other options.

Oh yeah, that would be the All Sun's Dawn of this set, which means it's not out of the question.

Oracle of Mul Daya and Obstinate Baloth could also fit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Prismatic Omen would fit the set's stated mutlicolor-heavy theme, too.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Where are people tracking the setlist/possibilities? I'm curious about some speculation.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lets Pickle posted:

Goddamn like every preview is a hit, except for loving Seance.

Seance is worth it just to troll that one Seance person from Reddit.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Fish Of Doom posted:

You could always just get them now. NM they're about $45 a piece.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Prismatic Omen would fit the set's stated mutlicolor-heavy theme, too.

I haven't been paying attention to the number crunching, but I hope Knight of New Alara makes an appearance. I had some very janky wins in Lorwyn-Shards standard involving that, Marisi's twinclaws, and Anathemancer.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

They did it with EMA, I gotta hold out hope they'll do it for this too.

After EMA Crypt is still $60, FOW $60, JTMS $60

These cards should be under 20 (or less) if WoTC would have done what's correct and totally flooded the market with inventory

Normal people are not paying these prices for cards and the point of these reprint sets are to make the cards accessible to everyone not only a select minority

InterrupterJones posted:

You could always just get them now. NM they're about $45 a piece.

I haven't been paying attention to the number crunching, but I hope Knight of New Alara makes an appearance. I had some very janky wins in Lorwyn-Shards standard involving that, Marisi's twinclaws, and Anathemancer.

$45 is still too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ShaneB posted:

Where are people tracking the setlist/possibilities? I'm curious about some speculation.

MythicSpoiler lets you sort by number and leaves the unspoiled cards blank

http://mythicspoiler.com/mm3/numbercrunch.html

• Locked thread