Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

ineptmule posted:

Edit: love Dat Cantonese Miles

RIP Dheneb Stone. *pours out a 40ml*

TheChirurgeon posted:

Orks are safe forever, yeah

Is it better to die with a dream or be trapped in a constant cycle of hope and disappointment with each passing update? Thats the real question.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Those are some fine Orks. At least the new edition looks like a chance for them to get better.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

TheChirurgeon posted:

What was the deal with Bretonnians, anyways? It's kind of been my understanding that they hadn't really gotten support for years prior to the AoS release and then got clowned in the end times books. I guess I'd be worried if I played Sisters of Battle, but lol if you play that army with high expectations at this point

As far as I can tell, GW had the same problem with Bretonnians that they had with Squats. They couldn't find a way to make them into an interesting, exciting army that would stand well alongside the other stuff they were releasing. Maybe it was a lack of imagination on their part, or maybe they just weren't seeing the levels of interest from customers that they were seeing for other stuff, who knows. It's a vicious circle - if you don't support it, people don't get into it, and if people don't get into it. you have less reason to support it.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 23, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The only thing I can understand there being some cynicism about is that the new rule set just might not be very good or still not address balance issues thoroughly enough. Just because GW has been paying attention and making a good effort to essentially do everything the community has been asking doesn't mean every attempt will be great.

That being said I think most of what has happened in the last year is considered overall very good, and this release is basically "sticking the landing" for GW. I'm confident they have a good idea on what they need to do to succeed, but I don't it expect perfection.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
This is a WIP of one of my oath models. It is a tiny avatar of how I will appear at the games store to pick up my copy of eighth edition after two months of the loving build-up and fall-out. I know I can't wait to hear the opinions of all the people who don't play the game. This said , I am also pleased I made the decision to hold off on purchases for 2017, particularly forgeworld ones!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Uroboros posted:

The only thing I can understand there being some cynicism about is that the new rule set just might not be very good or still not address balance issues thoroughly enough. Just because GW has been paying attention and making a good effort to essentially do everything the community has been asking doesn't mean every attempt will be great.

That being said I think most of what has happened in the last year is considered overall very good, and this release is basically "sticking the landing" for GW. I'm confident they have a good idea on what they need to do to succeed, but I don't it expect perfection.

dude just because GW stopped actively loving their customers in the rear end as soon as they walked in the door doesn't make them "good" that's the bare acceptable minimum

as far as i can tell their rules writing is just as bad as it ever was and that's kind of important here

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Miles O'Brian posted:

Miles' closet o' models:

Got a pretty solid squat rate so far. At least Orks are safe forever, right guys?

When I first saw these my brain couldn't parse the scale and they seemed a whole lot larger, that is some fantastic paintin'.

Phyresis posted:

Don't worry friend, you are loving retarded too

Why must people be so angry? Can't we all just get along and prove a point without losing composure, or if our point cannot stand gracefully admit we're wrong before calling people the r-word?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Games Workshop is literally autistic retarded

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Phyresis posted:

Games Workshop is literally autistic retarded

I am glad you feel the need to continue voicing your opinion, but might you do it in a more constructive manner? Such as What makes a corporate entity the r-word? That way we could continue the discussion.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Phyresis has to show that he's cool and handsome and above anyone who plays 40k.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
He also has a lot more sex than any of us.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

MSP's been around, he knows what's up

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
As it stands you might as well impotently scream into an indifferent void for all the growth your discussion contributes. Just as long as you don't stare at it, it might stare back after all.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Trukkin and fukkin is what i crave

and im all outta Trukks

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I don't think they can possibly get rid of Orks, they're more or less a setting constant at the moment and everyone loves them and they fit in perfectly

Tyranids on the other hand have a very cool and distinct aesthetic but I don't think anyone feels as strongly about them as they do about any of the humanoid factions because the overwhelming amount of space bugs in every single other game that has been released has diluted their coolness factor

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Phyresis posted:

and im all outta Trukks

Weirdly "Don't Press Dat!" applies to both :shrug:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Phyresis posted:

and im all outta Trukks

I unironically appreciate this comedy martyrdom, and look forward to more of this rather than rear end-crying about the end times. :munch:

ijyt posted:

Everyone in this thread is far too invested in 40K that you can't even enjoy a game update without enough drama to cover 30 seasons of a show.

Quoted because it needs to be said again.

Shhhhh. Guys, purge your burden to the depths of your local Craigslist. You don't have to be strong anymore, just let go. :unsmith:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

PierreTheMime posted:

Weirdly "Don't Press Dat!" applies to both :shrug:

Clowns on the left, jokers on the right, sheesh. How do you feel about the largemarines pierre. Tell me your thoughts.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I unironically appreciate this comedy martyrdom, and look forward to more of this rather than rear end-crying about the end times. :munch:

"UNBOUND! UNBOUND! UNBOUND! UNBOUND! UNBOUND! UNBOUND!" - a crowd of chaos cultists chanting

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I've been reading through the Foundation series yet again and it just tickles me pink horrors how much of 40K is just ripped directly out of these stories. Like, stolen whole cloth, it's just like a dark mirror version of this universe where heck has scary ghosts in it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Phyresis posted:

Don't worry friend, you are loving retarded too

Well yeah i play this terrible game I don't think anyone was challenging that.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Thread good

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Yo I thought Nioh was going to be my goty, but then NieR: Automata came out (sorry HZD was never a contender its just kinda meh) and I thought for sure that that would be my fav, but I'm halfway through Persona 5 and jeez louise this is the best Jay Arr Pee Gee I have ever played in my life, not a fan of the genre in general but this game fckin nails it. The PS4 is the best "video games console" I've ever owned.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Thread is very good right now

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Phyresis posted:

Yo I thought Nioh was going to be my goty, but then NieR: Automata came out (sorry HZD was never a contender its just kinda meh) and I thought for sure that that would be my fav, but I'm halfway through Persona 5 and jeez louise this is the best Jay Arr Pee Gee I have ever played in my life, not a fan of the genre in general but this game fckin nails it. The PS4 is the best "video games console" I've ever owned.

This is the laziest form of shitposting I've seen, smh retard.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Phyresis posted:

Clowns on the left, jokers on the right, sheesh. How do you feel about the largemarines pierre. Tell me your thoughts.

I have no idea why they thought they were necessary or what the ultimate justification for them will be, but it's been literal years since Space Marines started fielding Marines in front-facing baby carriers and Space Marine turduckens so it's pretty par for the course. They look a lot better and more posable so I dunno. I am pretty :geno: about new SM models, typically.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I'm an outspoken fan of the flyer models but everything else has been pretty lol. As far as power armour goes, you seen one, you seen em all

it will be highly annoying for current players if the scale difference is too big though, which looks like it might be the case. this is a different scale entirely... wtf

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He also has a lot more sex than any of us.

Makoto-chan would never gently caress some smelly nerd who plays trash like Warhammer 40,000 and she is waifu for laifu

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I wonder if GW will try to design a game with something of the quality that tabletop games in the last 20 years have been getting.

I somehow doubt that, but we'll see.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Are there any articles out there which lay out what a modern tabletop wargame looks like? I'm sure I could trawl this information together from just reading up on current ones, but if there's a single source which lays out (and especially which contrasts it with GW's offerings) I'd be very interested in that.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm somewhat hyped for this new edition of 40k and I don't mind these new marines at all - kind of like the look. But then I only came back to 40k a few months ago and I don't have an army yet, just some random models to practice painting until I figure out what I want to play.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I suddenly have like 5 Tyrant Guard. Man, thread blew up and I didn't even have to help it with exhaustion-posting. I'm painting a Dimachaeron. All hail our New GW Overlords. Worst case scenario, my group will just run with Apostate Edition, because gently caress it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm starting to feel the hype for this new edition. While there are a few things I'm pensive about, I'm overwhelmingly glad we're getting a big shake-up of the status-quo.

If you'll let me put on my Magical Christmasland Wishlist hat:

-Give Deathwatch access to the normal array of Marine vehicles, also the new big Marines if they are a new unit.
-In the same vein: give Genestealer Cults more IG gear to play with. Maybe a looted Valkyrie or something.
-Reintroduce 4th-style Chapter Tactics for Vanilla Marines. The Kharadron Code stuff from AoS seems to be an evolution of that design and it apparently works well.
-Merge AdMech/Skitarii, give them a transport flying or otherwise.
-Give the Ynnari something to better differentiate them from regular Eldar. Maybe some unique units outside the characters.
-Give the poor Orks/'Nids/Sisters some lovin'.
-Introduce some new alien factions to buff up their category. Hrud, Bargasi, those weird worm things. Hell, even some more Tau auxiliaries.
-Female Marines. loving do it GW, bathe in the flood of nerd tears, loving DO IT.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phyresis posted:

I don't remember these complaints about the Chaos Space Marines in the Dark Vengeance set, which is strange considering the scale changes between the new starter models and the old multipart kit seem almost exactly the same. Compare a DV CSM to an old one.

There are no chaos space marines in the dark vengeance set, like I pointed out awhile ago :eng101: They're entirely cultists and chosen, avoiding having to put out a new tactical model.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SteelMentor posted:

-Reintroduce 4th-style Chapter Tactics for Vanilla Marines.

I too really want this! I remember 4th!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Admech/Skitarii becoming one entry is definitely happening and the new website already has it.

The amount of nagging GW get about sisters must have filtered through by now, and again they are mentioned on the new site.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Zaphod42 posted:

There are no chaos space marines in the dark vengeance set, like I pointed out awhile ago :eng101: They're entirely cultists and chosen, avoiding having to put out a new tactical model.

I just use the Dark Vengeance tactical marines as Chaos marines and the chosen as squad leaders

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

goose willis posted:

I just use the Dark Vengeance tactical marines as Chaos marines and the chosen as squad leaders

Yeah I ended up converting the dark angels bikers into chaos bikers myself :)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phyresis posted:

Orks by Yoko Taro:

quote:

Is it better to die with a dream or be trapped in a constant cycle of hope and disappointment with each passing update? Thats the real question.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phyresis posted:

I've been reading through the Foundation series yet again and it just tickles me pink horrors how much of 40K is just ripped directly out of these stories. Like, stolen whole cloth, it's just like a dark mirror version of this universe where heck has scary ghosts in it
If you really want to see some poo poo real inspiration, read Dune. Do not read the series past God-Emperor of Dune though that's the best in the series. Only bad things dwell in the last two books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Safety Factor posted:

If you really want to see some poo poo real inspiration, read Dune. Do not read the series past God-Emperor of Dune though that's the best in the series. Only bad things dwell in the last two books.

Don't forget the extra dozen books written as cash ins after he died to explain all the mysteries to nerds.

• Locked thread