Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

What's the most value I can add as a filthy newbie? Seems like nobody wants to heal and running around as Mercy healing and resurrecting people is not a terrible idea, but I'm open to suggestions.

You're literally 100 hours of Overwatch away from needing to wonder this. I'm not kidding. A reasonably long book can be written about almost every hero in the game and you should explore them all! 5 Damage and one sucker guilted into healing is a QP stereotype for good reason, but if you're not feeling that then you're not anybody's fuckin' janitor, and your team ain't your supervisor.

That tracer seems tenacious. Play her. Reinhardt just hammered our entire team. Play him. How the gently caress do I even kill Brigitte this poo poo is bullshit. Play her. Soldiers ult is dumb. Play him. I can't get past this drat Orisa shield, she just keeps putting new ones down. Play her. Whoever you play:

--take high ground
--click on heads
--unless you're playing a projectile character, then click where the heads are gonna be
--if your team starts a fight when you're down 2 picks, you're gonna lose
--the game is 100% metered by ults. farming ults, using ults correctly, baiting out subpar ults on the red team, waiting for ults and cooldowns to be used so you can use your ult, comboing ults with your team's ults. ults are everything. your opinion of the game will boil down to Press Q Meta.
--every time you die its because you hosed up. there is no exception.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

flakeloaf posted:

When DF punches him into the wall, I want a clank for the ball hitting the wall and a dull thump for the hamster hitting the inside of the ball.

And you don't get the kill beep until that second thud

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Willie Tomg posted:

--the game is 100% metered by ults. farming ults, using ults correctly, baiting out subpar ults on the red team, waiting for ults and cooldowns to be used so you can use your ult, comboing ults with your team's ults. ults are everything. your opinion of the game will boil down to Press Q Meta.

Holy poo poo, yes. Every other game is someone spamming Hanzo's ult, I kept getting railed by that constantly.

Now that I think about it, it's super reminiscent of how things used to work in HoN / Dota2 where it's a lot about synchronizing ults or like you said, baiting ults. Except it's first person. Clever.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

DreadCthulhu posted:

Holy poo poo, yes. Every other game is someone spamming Hanzo's ult, I kept getting railed by that constantly.

Now that I think about it, it's super reminiscent of how things used to work in HoN / Dota2 where it's a lot about synchronizing ults or like you said, baiting ults. Except it's first person. Clever.
Hanzo's ult is one that you die a LOT to when you're new, and after a while you learn the sound cue and where it usually comes from and it becomes fairly simple to dodge unless the Hanzo is pulling some tricky poo poo.

And then they start comboing it with Zarya's ult so you can't escape :getin:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Kokoro Wish posted:

She can basically charge up the pistol and shoot a piercing beam. It's not much, but it's something I wish Overwatch D.Va had.

She has a really fun momentum in HotS that I think is actually more fun than she is in Overwatch. You can talent her so that her pilot form's pistol shots do some of the highest auto-attack damage in the game, so when you get a clear shot at objectives or are in a fight with someone else to occupy the frontlines for you, pilot D.Va can pour out crazy amounts of damage. And you can also talent her so that her defense matrix increases her ult charge based on how much damage she absorbs, so you're playing this very pendulum-y style where you are blocking lots of damage for your team, then self-destructing and trying to capitalize on your pistol DPS as much as you can before suiting up/dying.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
That's exactly how I play her. It's just way more interesting than her actual Overwatch playstyle, as she swings between two distinct, useful playstyles.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hanzo's ult is one that you die a LOT to when you're new, and after a while you learn the sound cue and where it usually comes from and it becomes fairly simple to dodge unless the Hanzo is pulling some tricky poo poo.

And then they start comboing it with Zarya's ult so you can't escape :getin:

Yeah Hanzo's ult is best used when the enemy team is distracted by something else(really need to try sneaking behind an enemy payload and firing it at them as they are trying to make a push, that could probably work rather well if timed right)

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I'm digging the dwarf guy because I don't have to aim. I tried widowmaker and it's pretty darn hard with everything moving everywhere all the time. But the turret gets the job done. Same with that Indian girl who throws mini-turrets at walls, she's cool too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm digging the dwarf guy because I don't have to aim. I tried widowmaker and it's pretty darn hard with everything moving everywhere all the time. But the turret gets the job done. Same with that Indian girl who throws mini-turrets at walls, she's cool too.

Torbjorn is not only good for when you're new, but he can be downright nasty once you get better at the game and figure out various mean places to put his turret in each map(and with Symmetra's new teleporter system what he can pull off gets even more interesting), as well as better understand his rhythm as well as knowing when to fix your turret and when to let it die

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The best Torb tip is to move your turret constantly. Don't wait for it to die; any time you have five seconds to spare between fights you should probably throw it down somewhere new, because if enemies go into the fight knowing where it is it'll die immediately. You want it to blindside them as often as possible, preferably in such a way that it doesn't start firing until they're already deep enough that they can't pay full attention to it. But putting it in a mediocre place that will surprise them is better than using the one absolutely perfect spot over and over so that they always know exactly where it is.

And of course if it gets taken out mid-fight, just throw it wherever and keep shooting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

megane posted:

The best Torb tip is to move your turret constantly. Don't wait for it to die; any time you have five seconds to spare between fights you should probably throw it down somewhere new, because if enemies go into the fight knowing where it is it'll die immediately. You want it to blindside them as often as possible, preferably in such a way that it doesn't start firing until they're already deep enough that they can't pay full attention to it. But putting it in a mediocre place that will surprise them is better than using the one absolutely perfect spot over and over so that they always know exactly where it is.

And of course if it gets taken out mid-fight, just throw it wherever and keep shooting.

There are exceptions to this of course, like if you're working together with an Orisa

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

megane posted:

I love to do this because it lends itself to the flow of the game if you're on defense and it keeps me moving so I have lots of opportunities to get scrap and drop armor on the point. It's really not a challenge to have an ult up for every team fight if you're using all the abilities, and hoo boy does molten core from a good position gently caress up an ult push.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I like to drop my turret and then fight from a different angle to it, splitting fire. At the level I play at, they expect you to be nested with the thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hammond is so much fun. Huge bonus that he's :3: as gently caress.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hammond owns and I for one am enjoying the salty tears associated with his release.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Willie Tomg posted:

That tracer seems tenacious. Play her. Reinhardt just hammered our entire team. Play him. How the gently caress do I even kill Brigitte this poo poo is bullshit. Play her. Soldiers ult is dumb. Play him. I can't get past this drat Orisa shield, she just keeps putting new ones down. Play her.

"That character wrecked me, I must play it to learn how it dies" is how mains are made.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Is it normal to have to wait 5-10 min to find a game sometimes?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is it normal to have to wait 5-10 min to find a game sometimes?

Depends on the mode, platform, and time

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i didnt care about private profiles but now im relentlessly in favor of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLyIexqievU&t=75s

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
XQC hating them means I'm obligated by law to like them.

Does he get commendations when he plays?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I mean on one hand laugh at his outright raging if you want (as if that poo poo hasn't lost all meaning because it's all he ever does), on the other hand his argument there is basically that he doesn't get to tell everyone else on his team what to do. As if it's somehow a bad thing that Pewdiepie Clone Except For Overwatch doesn't get to act like a loving mcdonalds manager and yell at people for not following his exact plan every match.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

It's taken me less than 24 hours of Overwatch to come to the conclusion that my teammates are all worthless cucks who should set their PCs on fire.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

DreadCthulhu posted:

It's taken me less than 24 hours of Overwatch to come to the conclusion that my teammates are all worthless cucks who should set their PCs on fire.

Overwatch lets you upgrade up your teammate quality, but you have to defeat strong red enemy teams despite your current teammates in order to get the required materials.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"This game is complete garbage and cancer and poo poo.
Now please watch me play this garbage cancer poo poo game and give me your money."

- XQC, noted philantrope and all around awesome, likable dude.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Overwatch lets you upgrade up your teammate quality, but you have to defeat strong red enemy teams despite your current teammates in order to get the required materials.

Is there any kind of visible ELO score for teammates to get a sense of how good they are and if I'm being grouped with progressively better people?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there any kind of visible ELO score for teammates to get a sense of how good they are and if I'm being grouped with progressively better people?
Yes, but only in competitive mode

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Private profiles are good because:

1) People that want to play something other than what they were good at were going to do that anyways even before private profiles, but at least now the team won't immediately throw because someone isn't slam picking their main

2) Comps will be more varied. It won't be one team slam picking hitscan because oh this one guy on the attacking team plays Pharah

3) There won't be arguing about team comp in the hero selection. Or at least, not as bad as before.

Private profiles are bad because:

1) People can more easily play heroes they suck at, but the people that will do this probably would have done it before anyways

2) XQC does have a point about how it makes it harder to build a good team comp because you have no idea what people play before you pick your hero but

a) if you're concerned about that, set your own profile public so people can see

b) talk on the mic. His point about people never talking is bullshit. People talk all the time about who is gonna play what. Just. talk.

I think the good far outweighs the bad with them

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Private profiles are good because they mean I can play comp without people screaming at me to swap to Mercy. Or at least doing that less. :shobon:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Private profiles are good because mind your own business

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I Said No posted:

I mean on one hand laugh at his outright raging if you want (as if that poo poo hasn't lost all meaning because it's all he ever does), on the other hand his argument there is basically that he doesn't get to tell everyone else on his team what to do. As if it's somehow a bad thing that Pewdiepie Clone Except For Overwatch doesn't get to act like a loving mcdonalds manager and yell at people for not following his exact plan every match.

Jayne’s stream was just going over team Canada scrims and surefour was doing that micro managing to xQc :laugh:

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Speaking of streaming, what are the best people to watch streaming in terms of learning best practices?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

On an unrelated note, I have to commend Blizzard on excellent character design and making every character at least *feel* like they have a unique strategy for how to add value to the team. I can definitely see a ton of wacky synergies between the different chars. Overall pretty joyful.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

Speaking of streaming, what are the best people to watch streaming in terms of learning best practices?

hobbesmaster mentioned jayne, and he just put up a VOD that is ostensibly about gold torbjorn, but mostly talks about little attitude things that are very very very key

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cazmn1mluUc

DreadCthulhu posted:

1) You are your teammates
2) Yep. Sounds like QP. QP is not what you play to give a poo poo about the outcome, QP is practicing pharah concs while red team presumably tries to kill you

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anecdotal, but I've been playing with my friend who's newer to the game for the past few weeks, and ever since Blizzard added commends the toxicity has dropped down to near zero. Curious to see how long this will last. Haven't tried competitive yet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

i didnt care about private profiles but now im relentlessly in favor of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLyIexqievU&t=75s

I agree with seagull's perspective, personally

https://clips.twitch.tv/CarefulIntelligentPistachioM4xHeh

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Anecdotal, but I've been playing with my friend who's newer to the game for the past few weeks, and ever since Blizzard added commends the toxicity has dropped down to near zero. Curious to see how long this will last. Haven't tried competitive yet.

I've only seen two players curse someone out so far and I reported both immediately like the good snitch I am. It has been remarkably grief-free.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What's with joining a game, going to skirmish mode, then everybody leaving and you're alone in that game waiting for more people to join. Do you find a game faster by leaving an emptying skirmish and re-starting the search? Why isn't this automated? :*(

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you have the game set to always join skirmish, then you'll be popped into these ongoing sessions that don't necessarily have anything to do with your actual next match. When you see someone leave, that means the matchmaker found a game for them but has not yet found one for you.

Otherwise, the game will only put you into a skirmish session if it almost has enough players, and you'll remain with that map and those players as soon as 12 are found.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Got it, that helped! Just had to disable skirmish.

Ok, day 2, my strategy is to figure out what the hell the team sucks at and make up for that. I enjoy playing both healers and tanks, and usually those are the two categories lacking the most. Orisa or Reinhardt seem like pretty safe choices for most teams, and Mercy seems to get the job done most of the time. Otherwise it's situational, Winston can be super annoying for certain types of compositions, same with Symmetra and certain maps that have a lot of bigger rooms that people HAVE to get into, and Bastion can be super annoying given the right spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I remember when this game was still new and good to me