Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Did not know this! What is it? Worth it?

It's called Dimension Shellshock, it adds alternate colors for all the characters, two new playable characters (Miyamoto Usagi and Karai), and Survival Mode.

Survival Mode is pretty fun, especially if you get 6 people going. Incredibly chaotic, and when things go wrong they go wrong fast.

I've been playing it off and on all weekend so far, so I'd say I got my 8 bucks worth.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

As we head into the holiday season, wondering if there any announcements in the pipeline. Or will Wonder and the Metal Gear Solid collections be enough to sell Switches this year?

I’m kinda hoping for TotK DLC by the end of the year, the Wind Waker HD remake as an outside chance. Am I forgetting any big releases between now and the end of the year?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mario RPG remake

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jet Jaguar posted:

As we head into the holiday season, wondering if there any announcements in the pipeline. Or will Wonder and the Metal Gear Solid collections be enough to sell Switches this year?

I’m kinda hoping for TotK DLC by the end of the year, the Wind Waker HD remake as an outside chance. Am I forgetting any big releases between now and the end of the year?

TotK DLC feels like a next-year thing to me, like they'd want to space out the hype a little. I could totally see Twilight Kingdom HD or Wind Waker HD getting a release though just for something to stuff in the late-November/December slot though.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'd feel bad for anyone that buys a Switch with MGS as their big sell. I don't have faith in these kinds of ports anymore. But also I bought a PS3 for MGS4 when it came out, and I learned my lesson the hard way.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

I mean the 2d mario series has always been big sellers for Nintendo, so wonder plus pokemon dlc are probably enough for a good holiday season. Plus there will be stragglers on tears of the kingdom as well.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
New Super Mario Bros Wii sold like, 30 million copies or some bullshit. The Switch is going to be fine with Wonder as the big holiday title.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the new Wario Ware will break sales records and convince Nintendo to delay the super switch to 2026

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I hope Switch 2 has bigger internal memory.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Just finished Pikmin 4 a while back, playing some stuff in the new season of Splatoon and not fully decided what big game to play next.

Not sure which way you progressed through the islands, but I flew to Thunderhead from one of the other sky islands and seems like the island with the actual story objective is easy to find like that since it's much lower than the others in the chain. If you fly there IIRC it's fairly easy to see the big "eye" ring structure above the main building with the shrine which is fairly identifiable even through the fog as a big "there is something important here" sign. Feels like it's designed for it to be somewhat discoverable if you decide to fly there even without clearing the fog. Though yeah I tried briefly to explore the upper islands before clearing the fog and quickly gave up also figuring there would be nothing really important there as I had already found the "main" thing.

I went the other way around and found that shrine before giving up. On another probe of the area I found the ‘head’ so to speak.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
One thing that's cool about SteamWorld Heist is the rising stakes. Your characters are lowly steam powered robots first going against other steambots while occasionally mentioning the royalist threat. Move on to act 2 and you're fighting the queen's royal diesel powered robots, they outclass your guys but your scrappy crew perseveres. Then on to act 3 where you must go into deep space to fight crazy futuristic cyber robots, far advanced beyond your steambots. Each steambot has a distinct personality too, so all this comes together and really endears them to you, so you are cheering for them hard. What a great game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

One thing that's cool about SteamWorld Heist is the rising stakes. Your characters are lowly steam powered robots first going against other steambots while occasionally mentioning the royalist threat. Move on to act 2 and you're fighting the queen's royal diesel powered robots, they outclass your guys but your scrappy crew perseveres. Then on to act 3 where you must go into deep space to fight crazy futuristic cyber robots, far advanced beyond your steambots. Each steambot has a distinct personality too, so all this comes together and really endears them to you, so you are cheering for them hard. What a great game

I have it on 3DS and it's terrific. A replay could be a good idea, but I don't think I'd get it on Switch, I really love how it worked on 3DS.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'd definitely say it was a bit easier on the 3DS...the smaller field of view makes it easier for me to make long shots, you can break it down into screens. "If I shoot just above this barrel here...*scrolls screen over* it will continue to just under this door...*scrolls screen over* and should hit this guy in the head"

Harder to do that on switch, I'm sure mostly due to my old man eyes but it's still fun as hell. Hopefully you have the DLC on the 3DS, it adds a lot of missions, weapons, and a new character that ties back to another steamworld game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I definitely did. The game was a delight and led me to buy a terribly glitchy mess on the Switch 'Blood Will be Spilled', which was similar in style but just not good at all.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I was just wondering what Image and Form (the makers of all the SteamWorld games) were up to and it looks like they got folded into a bunch of other development studios?

Oh wow—I didn't know they had a release date, SteamWorld Build is out on December 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz0V9Z9SPgk

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

End of year right now is I think Wonder, the rpg remake, detective Pikachu, warioware, splatoon dlc, Pokemon dlc. I could see them squeezing totk dlc in there maybe. Probably announce at the traditional Sept direct this month for this fall or next spring.

But most big announcements will probably target the Jan through April next year window.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jet Jaguar posted:

I was just wondering what Image and Form (the makers of all the SteamWorld games) were up to and it looks like they got folded into a bunch of other development studios?

Oh wow—I didn't know they had a release date, SteamWorld Build is out on December 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz0V9Z9SPgk

Oh wow, they had YouTube folks doing previews of this a while ago and it looked neat. Glad to see it's around the corner.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
At some point, one of the developers for the Steamworld games was posting in this thread. I wonder if they’re still active.

Concur that Steamworld Heist and both Steamworld Dig games are some of my favorites. Both have way more personality than is needed for indie games of their scale, with superbly well-designed gameplay. I was less thrilled with the deckbuilder Steamworld game (whose name I can’t remember rn, telling I guess) but I still enjoyed it.

Heist in particular is just a masterpiece imho.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I think if we get WW/TP ports it'll be next spring at the earliest, seems like they're still plenty content to ride the TotK wave for a while longer. Maybe DLC for that this fall/winter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

What are you all playing on the Nintendo Switch?

pinball because i've got brainworms (until the steam deck gets a flip grip the switch is the uncontested virtual pinball machine)

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Pokemon Pinball when

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just played Mario Wonder at Nintendo Live, it ruled. Despite local multiplayer having no bumping against other players, it was no less madcap and it was really fast paced. The drill power up rules.

One of the badges you start with in the demo could be equipped for Luigi physics

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 3, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is the thing they explicitly said in the summary video, that the main characters play the same, true? Yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is the thing they explicitly said in the summary video, that the main characters play the same, true? Yes.

Oh yeah, nevermind then (though if there’s a badge that gives you Luigi physics there might be others that let you do things like Peach’s floating ability as well)

Having multiple playable characters with the only difference between them being their appearance and voice seems odd to me though (since aside from games that just feature the titular Mario Bros they’ve never done something like this before as far as I recall)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 3, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

super mario rpg dumbass

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

In the past, does anyone remember how the hardware codenames came out (NX, Dolphin, etc). People were talking about NX a decent while before the Switch was officially revealed, and I was thinking about that now that we might be getting a new gen soon.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo revealed the NX code name themselves in 2015 during an investor meeting iirc

hatty fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 3, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Any more goon takes on Nintendo Live? Tokyo's doing the next one in January, what are the odds USA does it annually? I would posit the east coast, but Washington is the Nintendo State.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Space Fish posted:

Any more goon takes on Nintendo Live? Tokyo's doing the next one in January, what are the odds USA does it annually? I would posit the east coast, but Washington is the Nintendo State.

They shoulda called it Nintendo Line. It was ridiculous. They invited too many people.

The line to get in was over two hours. Want a picture with the giant Bowser? That's 45 minutes. Want to build a Lego Yoshi? That's an hour and a half. Want to buy something from the gift shop? An hour and a half.

The Mario Wonder line was 15 minutes, for a 15 minute demo, thank God. At least they had plenty of stations for that where they were hosting 200 people at a time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope after the picture with the giant Bowser you said, "So long, gay Bowser!"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Sam Faust posted:

In the past, does anyone remember how the hardware codenames came out (NX, Dolphin, etc). People were talking about NX a decent while before the Switch was officially revealed, and I was thinking about that now that we might be getting a new gen soon.

If it's truly a Switch successor and not something new entirely, I think they're content to just let people call it "Switch 2" or "New Switch" or whatever

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mega64 posted:

What are you all playing on the Nintendo Switch?

The oracle of ages/seasons games on vc.

Honestly thought they were gonna age worse but I still like em!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Beat ToTK after 150 hours. Definitely not a completionist but had a ton of fun the whole time. My run was paced pretty well with a balance of shrines and caves and side quests and side adventures between the major quests, and by the time I was ready to finish the main quest it felt like the right time. I'm excited to finally read about the crazy things people have discovered as I've avoided everything about the game online since release.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fun Times! posted:

Beat ToTK after 150 hours. Definitely not a completionist but had a ton of fun the whole time. My run was paced pretty well with a balance of shrines and caves and side quests and side adventures between the major quests, and by the time I was ready to finish the main quest it felt like the right time. I'm excited to finally read about the crazy things people have discovered as I've avoided everything about the game online since release.

We're you the maniac that did it without fast travel?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Super-NintendoUser posted:

We're you the maniac that did it without fast travel?

Hell no. Like I said I had fun the whole time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I only upgraded my Sheikah pad after like 60 hours lol, the hero's journey mode is so useful for seeing places you haven't explored yet

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I only upgraded my Sheikah pad after like 60 hours lol, the hero's journey mode is so useful for seeing places you haven't explored yet

I wish they straight up had different colors for the underground / sky. The slightly less vibrant green confuses me sometimes

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Fun Fact: Mario refers to Peach and Daisy and all his other friends as "Bro" and that's why its called Super Mario Bros Wonder even tho its not just Mario and luigi anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mario just generalizes everyone. They're all equally beneath him. They're all just "bro" to him, because they don't deserve his mind dedicating even a single neuron to their names.