Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Y0 spoilers: TACHIBANA NOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, 100%. You can ignore all the stealth stuff and just go "duel me!" To every camp you see and try to slice down every dude. It's great. Fun game, surface deep in it's interest in Kurosawa but they nail the look

awesome

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, 100%. You can ignore all the stealth stuff and just go "duel me!" To every camp you see and try to slice down every dude. It's great. Fun game, surface deep in it's interest in Kurosawa but they nail the look

the 1 on 1 duals are also so fantastic, there is one in the end of the game where you are fighting in a field of cherry blossoms and its so gorgeous

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, the duels are great.

But every side story is like the result of some samurai loving up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also I'm in agreement that the real samurai armor stuff is pretty universal. You see it everywhere as armies grow to a point where your admins and managers are not actually taking the battlefield anymore and arguably are too important to take the battlefield. They still want the ornaments of material prowess that used to be required to show they're in charge so they collect lots of weapons and armor. They are also often more violent and get killed more often because unlike the previous generations who had been trained to fight their entire life these dudes were learning enough to kill and get killed and then doing it. Armies develop a managerial class and then they all buy a lifted pickup, a laser sight, and wear their dress blues to Applebee's.

And yeah, 1 on 1 duels are the best part of Ghost.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

there was an "ornamental armor" perk for your leaders in medieval 2 total war that gave them significantly reduced protection but a boost to moral explicitly because they looked like an idiot and it cheered the rank and file up to laugh at them

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
speaking of samurais and total war, is shogun 2 the best one? I have it on steam but could never wrap my head around the gameplay loop, but after seeing the tv Shogun I'm in the mood for some shoguning

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Buck Wildman posted:

there was an "ornamental armor" perk for your leaders in medieval 2 total war that gave them significantly reduced protection but a boost to moral explicitly because they looked like an idiot and it cheered the rank and file up to laugh at them

strategic clownpants

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

speaking of samurais and total war, is shogun 2 the best one? I have it on steam but could never wrap my head around the gameplay loop, but after seeing the tv Shogun I'm in the mood for some shoguning

it's generally considered to be the best purely historical tw game

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buck Wildman posted:

it's generally considered to be the best purely historical tw game

I think Three Kingdoms claims that title now but yes, Shogun 2 is ftw

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shogun 2 is good and yeah, considered the best pre-Warhammer one. If you want to clash some infantry they're good games.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

I think Three Kingdoms claims that title now but yes, Shogun 2 is ftw

three kingdoms I think would be considered one of their more fantastic entries like warhammer

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buck Wildman posted:

three kingdoms I think would be considered one of their more fantastic entries like warhammer

It has a seperate historical nerd mode too if you don't want to play with the funny Romance version of people but yeah I get that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VoicesByZane/status/1602358834546315281?t=OwruVm8uY0AvSlc-KIjSmQ&s=19

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

It has a seperate historical nerd mode too if you don't want to play with the funny Romance version of people but yeah I get that

interesting I didn't know that

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Meanwhile I can't get Kiryu to do anything other than pistol whip motherfuckers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this is the plot of the shogun 2 dlc too

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

interesting I didn't know that

Magic did really well in Warhammer and we're probably getting magic in Total War from now on.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol when they went back and added magic to Troy. I don't think there's anything goofy in that new Pharoah game but also nobody has ever played it so we'll never know for sure

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

As much as Kurosawa romanticizes the idea of a Samurai, that was also the conclusion of Kagemusha lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's so loving good

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Facing off against three armies of samurai big dogs and mulching them with the naval bombardment and gatling guns lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Facing off against three armies of samurai big dogs and mulching them with the naval bombardment and gatling guns lol

it's actually a historical thing that the Japanese navy couldn't get too close to china because they would get pasted by the shoreline cannons. the Chinese thought they must have been pirates because what organized navy could be that much of a pushover

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

uber_stoat posted:

whaddaya know, they squeaked by at the last minute.

I'm so happy to hear from my good pal Captain Fwiffo in the foreseeable future!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

one last y8 pic for the road

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DaysBefore posted:

my friend used to hate the shogun 2 dlc for this reason

its like yeah dude, its supposed to be loving miserable if you have a bunch of spearman trying to charge a line of riflemen

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
What were the Japanese doing in Korea during the samurai era? There are references to it in TW, and the TV show Shogun, but what was their goal there?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

What were the Japanese doing in Korea during the samurai era? There are references to it in TW, and the TV show Shogun, but what was their goal there?

Imperialism and colonialism and no growth

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

tug of war with China for colonial control

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

korea was the breadbasket for the japanese army during ww2 so i imagine that but with samurai

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

its time to listen to a bunch of horseshit about honor, boys. mount up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I've rounded up my entourage and now ready to go pwn the mongoloid plinkey guy

perhaps the game explains it later, but I take it the uncle supposed to be a dumbass and the whole but they aren't playing fair :qq: is intentionally goony?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lib and let die posted:

Y0 spoilers: TACHIBANA NOOOOO

One of the most brutal things I've seen in a video game, Jesus christ

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Taking It Father PPV has started
https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Core Keeper 1.0 officially announced: August 27

ive been playing it on/off during early access and it's quite good if you like that Minecraft-Terraria-Starbound game (moreso Terraria meets something like Zelda: LTTP). base building with bros and building expansive network of train tracks and conveyor belts is fun.

i think it's the best terraria-like since.. probably terraria

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mr. Lobe posted:

How the hell did I just learn now that the original Star Control guys are doing a new thing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity

Only like 24 hours to go and they're 500% funded. I gave them money because I love Star Control 2 too much and never purchased it legitimately, even if the game is a flop I will have no regrets

this is wonderful :unsmith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xaris posted:

perhaps the game explains it later, but I take it the uncle supposed to be a dumbass and the whole but they aren't playing fair :qq: is intentionally goony?

That’s how I took it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

they were busy killing off their samurai. A big army without people to fight is bad.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

my friend used to hate the shogun 2 dlc for this reason

its like yeah dude, its supposed to be loving miserable if you have a bunch of spearman trying to charge a line of riflemen

the funny thing was that running a traditional sword and cav army in fall of the samurai was actually really powerful. They had excellent speed bonuses and would decimate gun armies when they closed the distance

the ai was also really bad at managing their los in their gunlines so your guys only get shot once or twice before they chop up all the enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

i think he's supposed to be horrifyingly naive and unable to conceive that the enemy isn't playing by the same rules

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the funny thing was that running a traditional sword and cav army in fall of the samurai was actually really powerful. They had excellent speed bonuses and would decimate gun armies when they closed the distance

the ai was also really bad at managing their los in their gunlines so your guys only get shot once or twice before they chop up all the enemies

makes sense, Calvary was useful right up until breach loaders became the norm

edit: oh the sword guys... ummmm well have you heard about the 121 foot rule?

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 21:30 on May 18, 2024