Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

E: nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

MonsterEnvy posted:

From checking. Satine just likes D&D, and has been doing D&D series on various things for 8 years or so. And has been involved with various RPG sites and groups. She eventually struck up friendships with Jeremy Crawford and Chris Lindsay most notably from the D&D team. And due to her wide interest and heavy involvement in the D&D streaming community, got the job as the community manager.

She does not appear to have done anything with Zak S for years.

Here's an interview that seems to paint a decent picture of her. https://www.tribality.com/2018/07/25/satine-phoenix-dd-community-manager-interview/

lol my dude, unless 2017 is years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjz2kIiwLaY

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ehh I did not do a ton of research and did not find that video. Whatever I only put about 20 minutes of effort into checking her relationships.

You are basically a conspiracy theorist. Who assumes everyone who has ever interacted with a rear end in a top hat, is a rear end in a top hat themselves. I am just a person who tries to give people the benefit of the doubt. And from checking Satine she seems to be fine.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 30, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Whatever I only put about 20 minutes of effort into checking her relationships.

Google both their first names, and the first video on the page is that video, with their faces in the preview image. It's also the second non-video, non-image search result, with both full names visible in the description, and the third image result.

Did you really spend 20 minutes on not finding that?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 30, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Google both their first names, and the first video on the page is that video, with their faces in the preview image. It's also the second non-video, non-image search result, with both full names visible in the description, and the third image result.

Did you really spend 20 minutes on not finding that?

I was not watching videos. Plus I was looking into her relationships period, was not looking up her and Zak S.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 30, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was not watching videos. Plus I was looking into her relationships period, was not looking up her and Zak S.

You removed the relevant line from your post.

After over an hour.

After more than one person quoted it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 30, 2018

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah so what's the discourse on Satine Phoenix?

I've only seen like a half second of her on GM Tips so I'm completely ignorant to anything about her.
Theres no problem with her except the local histrionics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satine_Phoenix

If you follow the "degrees of separation" metric then the entire world is terrible and should be burned alive for the honor of Arivias mental health. (Even if we were all dead it wouldnt help.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
gently caress you.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I had a list of six people that would spit out their soda and respond with nothing. Congrats for winning!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So, completely unconnected to the current stuff in the thread, some balance questions.

1: Why is Beastmaster Ranger considered terrible?

2: I'm playing a Paladin and I just... cannot see reasons to use most of the Smite spells that cost bonus actions over Divine Smite or other concentration spells like Bless or Shield of Faith. Is Divine Smite overpowered, or are they underpowered, or what?

I figure regardless of the arguments in the thread you guys seem to know the edition really well.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Prythian posted:

2: I'm playing a Paladin and I just... cannot see reasons to use most of the Smite spells that cost bonus actions over Divine Smite or other concentration spells like Bless or Shield of Faith. Is Divine Smite overpowered, or are they underpowered, or what?

Thunderous Smite, Blinding Smite, and some other abilities come at reduced damage but with crowd control effects that can afflict disadvantagr, movement penalties or perhaps give your allies advamtage.

However if you merely need to nuke something, Divine Smite is a solid go to.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Prythian posted:

The pet is very bad. Poor start, bad scaling, and it attacks with your action, making it instead of, not in addition to your attacks.

The other abilities do nothing to make the pet less bad, because they don't do anything useful about the instead of.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Prythian posted:

The animal is bad (it's capped at cr 1/4) as alpha dog said and it doesn't scale well as you level up. I personally think that if you gained one extra companion animal every few level, the resulting menagerie wouldn't be that bad but still it wouldn't be that good. For that theme, you are literally better playing a rogue with a bag of trick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

You are basically a conspiracy theorist. Who assumes everyone who has ever interacted with a rear end in a top hat, is a rear end in a top hat themselves. I am just a person who tries to give people the benefit of the doubt. And from checking Satine she seems to be fine.

No. I’m disappointed that D&D is stuffed full of enablers, defenders, and promoters of an abusive harasser. Satine is one of Zak’s boosters and defenders, that is without doubt. Unless she openly refutes him like Patrick Stuart did she is not a safe person to engage with. It’s the same thing as with Mearls: she’s an open defender who will sell out marginalized people and harass them to protect her abuser friend.

If you can’t see how dangerous Zak and his circle is, shut up and let people who know what they’re talking about discuss things. Your continual defense is disgusting and really shows how self-centered and morally bankrupt you are.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
What's a good use for a Headband of Intellect? Our party might have come across one this last session, and we've been thinking about how the 19 Intelligence could be best applied:

- Bump up the Warlock's int by 3?
- Give it to the Arcane Trickster Rogue because I'm pretty sure they're the only one who casts anything on that ability anyway?
- Bring the Paladin up ten points from 9 to 19 ala Limitless?
- Same as above except the Paladin's steed is Bradley Cooper?

There's also "sell it and use the ~4k towards something more practical," but that isn't the party's usual MO.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

FRINGE posted:

If you follow the "degrees of separation" metric then the entire world is terrible and should be burned alive for the honor of Arivias mental health. (Even if we were all dead it wouldnt help.)

idk like it seems like a pretty clear separation between 'regular public association with the purpose of material gain' and 'any relationship at all' like the same way there's a difference between 'person that regularly goes to mcdonalds in order to receive money from mcdonalds' and 'every person that has ever been to mcdonalds'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

just because you already know I'm going to tell you to GO gently caress YOURSELF doesn't mean I'm not still going to tell you to GO gently caress YOURSELF

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Arivia posted:

No. I’m disappointed that D&D is stuffed full of enablers, defenders, and promoters of an abusive harasser. Satine is one of Zak’s boosters and defenders, that is without doubt. Unless she openly refutes him like Patrick Stuart did she is not a safe person to engage with. It’s the same thing as with Mearls: she’s an open defender who will sell out marginalized people and harass them to protect her abuser friend.

If you can’t see how dangerous Zak and his circle is, shut up and let people who know what they’re talking about discuss things. Your continual defense is disgusting and really shows how self-centered and morally bankrupt you are.
Yeah its wroth noting that there has never been an overt apology from Mearls for having an out and out Nazi in their credits and making the industry that much more of a clusterfuck because of it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Last I heard Matt Mercer and Satine Phoenix were friends, so I doubt Matt would be on bad terms with her. That said I hope Zak S eats poo poo after the midterms and I find it hard to praise someone associated with those kinds of people. It sucks for Satine cause it looks like getting into D&D as a representative involves being chummy with Mearls and his gator friends, but that just makes me wish the left would take over D&D for good.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Nazgul posted:

Thunderous Smite, Blinding Smite, and some other abilities come at reduced damage but with crowd control effects that can afflict disadvantagr, movement penalties or perhaps give your allies advamtage.

However if you merely need to nuke something, Divine Smite is a solid go to.

I could be wrong about this because I'm newish and natural language, but you can also double up the two kinds of smites in one hit? Use bonus action smite spell prior to attacking, hit something with an attack and choose to divine smite as well? The damage ratio isn't as good for non divine, but it's still extra damage.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Do any of you live in the Denver area/ need a new player? I moved here recently and want to find a dnd group

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ehh I did not do a ton of research
what the gently caress is wrong with you

"No you're completely wrong have some bold, authoritative statements" "Actually nothing you said is true" "Eh, I didn't really look into it"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Prythian posted:

So, completely unconnected to the current stuff in the thread, some balance questions.

I figure regardless of the arguments in the thread you guys seem to know the edition really well.
The one in the book is garbage because
1) You get nothing additional. To use your pet in combat you need to use it instead of your Ranger stuff, not as well as.
2) The pet itself is garbage. Very, very rarely is it as good as your own attacks, never mind the "better than" that would be required for it to be worth giving up your attacks for, and the lack of damage and accuracy scaling means it gets even less useful as time goes on.
3) The pet dies. A lot. And dies even more as time goes on.
4) RAW since the pet is making mundane attacks with non-magical claws there's no way for the pet to bypass any resistances.
5) Your turns take twice as long as everyone else's.
6) Base Ranger is garbage anyway.

The UA one addresses 1, 2, 3, and 6 pretty decently, but doesn't address 4 and makes 5 even worse. I had a lot of fun with my UA BM ranger though but we never hit high enough level for resistances to be ubiquitous and me getting two turns every round was everyone else's problem :smug:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Splicer posted:

The one in the book is garbage because
1) You get nothing additional. To use your pet in combat you need to use it instead of your Ranger stuff, not as well as.
2) The pet itself is garbage. Very, very rarely is it as good as your own attacks, never mind the "better than" that would be required for it to be worth giving up your attacks for, and the lack of damage and accuracy scaling means it gets even less useful as time goes on.
3) The pet dies. A lot. And dies even more as time goes on.
4) RAW since the pet is making mundane attacks with non-magical claws there's no way for the pet to bypass any resistances.
5) Your turns take twice as long as everyone else's.
6) Base Ranger is garbage anyway.

The UA one addresses 1, 2, 3, and 6 pretty decently, but doesn't address 4 and makes 5 even worse. I had a lot of fun with my UA BM ranger though but we never hit high enough level for resistances to be ubiquitous and me getting two turns every round was everyone else's problem :smug:

What Splicer said on BM, and re Smite Spells: Divine Smite is better for damage but the spells have useful carry-on effects, Thunderous, Wrathful (very powerful, since it's a check at disadvantage to remove the condition) and Branding in particular.

Note you can also Divine Smite on top of a Smite spell when going all out.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
There's nothing preventing a moon druid from casting investiture of flame then turning into a water elemental and keeping the effects right?

Then I could be a water elemental that shoots a line of fire and can whelm enemies to simultaneously drown them, bludgeon them, and burn them?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 30, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

You removed the relevant line from your post.

Yeah cause I was correcting my post. Cause I was wrong about it.

Splicer posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

"No you're completely wrong have some bold, authoritative statements" "Actually nothing you said is true" "Eh, I didn't really look into it"

I did not put any "bold, authoritative statements" I said "It does not appear she has done anything with Zak for Years" Someone corrected me. Everything else I put down was true.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah cause I was correcting my post. Cause I was wrong about it.

I did not put any "bold, authoritative statements" I said "It does not appear she has done anything with Zak for Years" Someone corrected me. Everything else I put down was true.

"Except for the lie, everything I said was true."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Piell posted:

"Except for the lie, everything I said was true."

Twas not a lie. Just bad info from lack of research.

Edit: Nevermind I don't want to continue.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 30, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Twas not a lie. Just bad info from lack of research.

You know you could just not post until you've finished the research, right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relentless posted:

You know you could just not post until you've finished the research, right?

It was late and I did not feel like putting too much effort in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was late and I did not feel like putting too much effort in.
So why didn't you not post it? If you don't know something, and you don't want to look into it, surely the smart thing to do is not talk about it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

So why didn't you not post it? If you don't know something, and you don't want to look into it, surely the smart thing to do is not talk about it?

True enough. But I am fairly lacking in some common sense. It's just an issue I have.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

gandhichan posted:

What's a good use for a Headband of Intellect? Our party might have come across one this last session, and we've been thinking about how the 19 Intelligence could be best applied:

- Bump up the Warlock's int by 3?
- Give it to the Arcane Trickster Rogue because I'm pretty sure they're the only one who casts anything on that ability anyway?
- Bring the Paladin up ten points from 9 to 19 ala Limitless?
- Same as above except the Paladin's steed is Bradley Cooper?

I can't really think of anything the warlock or the paladin could do with the extra intelligence except bump up some knowledge rolls and maybe handle illusions or an intellect devourer slightly better. The AT would benefit more, but only if it actually bumps up their modifier. By process of elimination, give it to the horse.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

True enough. But I am fairly lacking in some common sense. It's just an issue I have.

Then in future take five minutes before you post and think things through and maybe you'll stop being such lovely white noise

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RC Cola posted:

Do any of you live in the Denver area/ need a new player? I moved here recently and want to find a dnd group

You can also post for this here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495776
Oh, it looks like Nehru the Damaja is in Denver maybe you can group up with them?
And there's someone who posted on page 18 (who I've never seen post in here?) too.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah I already sent a pm

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Arivia posted:

Then in future take five minutes before you post and think things through and maybe you'll stop being such lovely white noise

You need to take your own advice because you and a few other posters clog the thread up with bullshit, screeching at the top of your lungs when you see a name mentioned that you don't like. I'm also fairly confident that the majority of the cast of Critical Role wouldn't be good friends with a person, Satine in this case, whom is actually closely connected to someone bad. They're all on the up and up.

Or is Matt Mercer a piece of poo poo now, too?

Edit: Oh right and you and a few others are still loving bullies.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 30, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It’s amazing that people continue to insist that this is a matter of like, personal taste and not protesting the enabling of provable material harm but you be you I guess.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It'd be cool if there was like a whole page about D&D the game in this thread, instead of drama between the authors.

The D&D design team is a bunch of dipshits, can we make fun of their bad game instead of their moronic tweets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Valentin posted:

I can't really think of anything the warlock or the paladin could do with the extra intelligence except bump up some knowledge rolls and maybe handle illusions or an intellect devourer slightly better. The AT would benefit more, but only if it actually bumps up their modifier. By process of elimination, give it to the horse.

Maybe swap it around so each of them can take turns being smartest in the room.