Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

wherever you go, people are people, and people are mostly good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i saw a documentary where matt damon goes to china and fights dragons and poo poo on the great wall with a bow and that's scared me from ever traveling to china

FluffieDuckie

Luvcow posted:

i saw a documentary where matt damon goes to china and fights dragons and poo poo on the great wall with a bow and that's scared me from ever traveling to china

dragons have been harming China's tourist industry for literal centuries

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

FluffieDuckie posted:

when they put "here there be dragons" on the eastern edge of maps, they mean it!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FluffieDuckie posted:

i can't even imagine living like that :smith:

BoldFrankensteinMir

alnilam posted:

wherever you go, people are people, and people are mostly good

Whoa, look at dad-of-the-year here with a page-topper to be proud of!

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
This not super relevant, but Latin America is huge. Mexico alone has a larger area than the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, and the Netherlands combined.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What else is in the mayo vending machine? Asking for a friend who wants to make a sandwich.

Condoms and SIM cards. And lots of other things.

I had a student whose job was importing American snack foods, and one day I saw her cinnamon rolls in one of the vending machines, between two bottles of lube, and I took a picture of that and sent it to her, and said "So is this your marketing strategy now?"

sb hermit

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What else is in the mayo vending machine? Asking for a friend who wants to make a sandwich.

I just have to say that this was a very funny post and I love it

sb hermit

glowing-fish posted:

Condoms and SIM cards. And lots of other things.

I had a student whose job was importing American snack foods, and one day I saw her cinnamon rolls in one of the vending machines, between two bottles of lube, and I took a picture of that and sent it to her, and said "So is this your marketing strategy now?"

I am really curious about the SIM cards. Aren't they intrinsically tied to the phone number (or is that a US thing)? Or do other identifiers (such as whatapp names or e-mail addresses) identify a person more than phone numbers?`

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Snoopy and Woodstock are friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESauMzgV1KY

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Jaded Burnout

I’ve started obedience training my rats and it gives me the warm fuzzies. call me principal skinner

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Well, Seymour, you are an odd fellow, but I must say... you steam train a good ham rat.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Twenty Four

lmao

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

el dorito posted:

I am really curious about the SIM cards. Aren't they intrinsically tied to the phone number (or is that a US thing)? Or do other identifiers (such as whatapp names or e-mail addresses) identify a person more than phone numbers?`

I think you just can change your telephone number and carrier that easily. You buy a chip, put it in your phone, and have a new number.

sb hermit

glowing-fish posted:

I think you just can change your telephone number and carrier that easily. You buy a chip, put it in your phone, and have a new number.

True. It just seems weird to actually need to purchase it, instead of being part and parcel with the phone itself. I guess I have to muse on it a little longer.

I was pretty drunk when I wrote that post

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
El martino

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
hi

Jaded Burnout

el dorito posted:

True. It just seems weird to actually need to purchase it, instead of being part and parcel with the phone itself. I guess I have to muse on it a little longer.

I was pretty drunk when I wrote that post

I've not bought a phone with a sim as a package in forever, but when I buy rando sims these days it's either for a work phone or because I'm travelling and want a local number.

ho

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have a lot of things to say about Peru but I think I will just direct you all to Abby Franquemont, who was raised in Chinchero, Cusco, Peru, and I really feel like she's pretty much the authority on gringa poo poo in Peru and how it affects people. She's there now finishing a lot of work her parents, Ed and Chris Franquemont, started as anthropologists and ethnobotanists interested in the textile traditions of Peru. She's written several good articles, and books, and all sorts of classes.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

hamjobs posted:

I have a lot of things to say about Peru but I think I will just direct you all to Abby Franquemont, who was raised in Chinchero, Cusco, Peru, and I really feel like she's pretty much the authority on gringa poo poo in Peru and how it affects people. She's there now finishing a lot of work her parents, Ed and Chris Franquemont, started as anthropologists and ethnobotanists interested in the textile traditions of Peru. She's written several good articles, and books, and all sorts of classes.

I went to Macchu Piccu in November of 2001 for my wife's brother's wedding.

Cusco was amazing, the Incan temples were awesome- they were carved in interlocking shapes to keep the massive blocks together, and also to make them earthquake-proof.

Many of their temples were built in the mountains, and the Andes are tectonically active so it was an important part of the construction.

One of the most amazing things I saw there was, in one of the temple rooms at Maccu Piccu, they had several alcoves that were all made in the exact same size and shape.

Why?

Because, when an Incan Priest travelled from another town with news for only the other Priests, the visiting Priest would put his head in one of the alcoves to speak. The other Priests would then put their heads in the other alcoves, and due to acoustic coupling, the other Priests would be the only ones to hear the words, no one else would be able to hear it in the room because they didn't have their heads in an alcove. Sort of a early form of cordless telephone.

sb hermit

:wave:

Twenty Four

high

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I just made a big sweeping dramatic change to some complicated network-related code, and (once the compile-time errors were fixed, those are just typos and such and don't really count) it worked exactly as intended first time.

What I'm saying is 2019 is a magical year where everything is going to be great.

Scaly Haylie

it's 35 degrees outside so i've taken to sleeping in a hoodie. would recommend.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/jf3G6hK.gifv

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
lmao a private donor just gave $46 million to star citizen

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
:stare:

alnilam

blaise rascal posted:

idk much about it but this seems like an ill informed idea

ty manifisto

Jaded Burnout

it was an investment for a 10% stake in the company and I think two board member seats so not exactly a donation. whether that is still foolish or not is for them to decide, I suppose.

Jolo

Worth it for the in-game monocle imo.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

blaise rascal posted:

Elon, from Tesla, playing Star Citizen

Jaded Burnout

Our favourite robot mom has graciously demurred the Amazon voucher portion of their contest winnings, so I shall be rolling it over as the prize in a new contest as soon as I think one up! Joyous!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
byob, I say, is good

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Hugh Malone posted:

byob, I say, is good

Jolo

Jaded Burnout posted:

Our favourite robot mom has graciously demurred the Amazon voucher portion of their contest winnings, so I shall be rolling it over as the prize in a new contest as soon as I think one up! Joyous!

Oooh, I just had a thought. I thought of myself winning the new contest. I was incredible. I did not explode.

Jolo

Oh yeah, I forgot to share that over Christmas we had some tortellini and didn't realize until after it was cooked that we didn't have any sauces. We ended up eating some tosses in olive oil but then for a second helping, I did something else.

I got out the ketchup.

After heating up a little dab of ketchup and mixing in some italian seasonings, it was actually not bad. I thought it would be too sweet, but heating it up kinda dampens the tang of it. It will not be my go-to pasta sauce, but if I was in a pinch I would totally eat ketchup with pasta again.

Hope you all have a great day and that people are not rude or lame at you.

Jaded Burnout

Jolo posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to share that over Christmas we had some tortellini and didn't realize until after it was cooked that we didn't have any sauces. We ended up eating some tosses in olive oil but then for a second helping, I did something else.

I got out the ketchup.

After heating up a little dab of ketchup and mixing in some italian seasonings, it was actually not bad. I thought it would be too sweet, but heating it up kinda dampens the tang of it. It will not be my go-to pasta sauce, but if I was in a pinch I would totally eat ketchup with pasta again.

Hope you all have a great day and that people are not rude or lame at you.

haha excellent. I had some mere minutes ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Jaded Burnout posted:

You should have a contest contest, to see who can come up with the best contest.

My submission: the contest contest.