Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

landgrabber posted:

honestly i did not want to say this but like, it always just feels kinda lame to me to roll up with a boss katana, or no amp on stage. i can't believe i think it's cool, but i do think it's cool to have a big cab and head behind you. doubly cool when you look like you're gonna shred the house down, but actually you just let loose with super musical, emotional guitar music.

whether it's founded or not, it signals to the onlookers that you know what you're doing or are "professional" to some degree even though they don't know you're bad at playing guitar and you just bought some poo poo off reverb

I disagree with this reasoning but I fully support not buying a boss katana.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I own a Katana and am thinking about trading it in. I play guitar to do something physically interesting, that’s why I like playing with pedals, there’s something satisfying about stomping on a switch and changing up my sound. I sit on a computer all drat day, I don’t want guitar playing to be more of that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lament.cfg posted:

I own a Katana and am thinking about trading it in. I play guitar to do something physically interesting, that’s why I like playing with pedals, there’s something satisfying about stomping on a switch and changing up my sound. I sit on a computer all drat day, I don’t want guitar playing to be more of that.

This is why I sold my Katana as well (for a GTX and a footswitch board, which I prefer), and it's a line of thinking that has led to me spending 90% of my time playing classical, anyway.

I even found an old-school mechanical metronome so I could leave my phone in the other room. It's awesome.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i didn’t mean the stand falling over was traumatic, i meant that relying on other people in other situations hosed me up.

the stand poo poo is embarrassing but it’s the sort of embarrassing poo poo that happens to everyone that you learn from

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think having a certain degree of self reliance, especially with backups, is healthy but that's the sort of mindset that can really easily shift into "control freak." I've been there and it's a really hard mindset for me to break out of, even as a father and now having a supervisory role at my job. It's also the kind of thing that can make people think of you as difficult to work with and unless you're ridiculously talented no one will want to play with you.

I'm not saying this to be condescending or to be down on you LG, I think you're doing great and I've been really impressed at your growth as a guitarist (and as a poster on these hell forums), I'm just sharing my own experience and what has probably been the thing I regret most about my musical journey when I was in my teens and early 20s.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

curried lamb of God posted:

FWIW I also bought Helix Native with the discount offered for HX owners - it's only $99 ($69 during sales) and doesn't have any DSP limitation.
Nice, thanks for the heads up! I'll probably pick that up when it's on sale and go nuts with the effects

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anybody here play one of the 1959 Epiphones? Everything I've read and seen about them seems very positive, and since I just unloaded my RG655 I had an empty slot in the guitar stand which is completely unacceptable. Been wanting some sort of LP and stumbled across one for a decent deal ($550 or so lightly used) so it's on the way here. Basically a well put together Epi LP with Gibson Burstbuckers, Switchcraft jack and switch, and CTS pots with 50s style wiring.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Can anybody recommend me one of those hosed up "selective" or "partial" capos? I have some stupid tunings I want to try. There are "Spider Capo" style devices for $20 which limit you to a single fret and then there's the Chordinero which lets you do basically whatever you want for $130. Is there anything worth checking out between those two prices?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I imagine Shubbs are pretty easy to modify with a boxcutter. And you can always get a new rubber pad if you gently caress it up.

Plus, they already make partial capos:

https://shubb.com/product/partial-capo-c7/

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Anybody here play one of the 1959 Epiphones? Everything I've read and seen about them seems very positive, and since I just unloaded my RG655 I had an empty slot in the guitar stand which is completely unacceptable. Been wanting some sort of LP and stumbled across one for a decent deal ($550 or so lightly used) so it's on the way here. Basically a well put together Epi LP with Gibson Burstbuckers, Switchcraft jack and switch, and CTS pots with 50s style wiring.

played one years ago that was fuckin great

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

They're loving awesome for the cash and you are gonna be stoked. Totally gig ready unless you don't get along with the stock vintage style tuners. (Klusons are fantastic as long as you string them correctly)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think having a certain degree of self reliance, especially with backups, is healthy but that's the sort of mindset that can really easily shift into "control freak." I've been there and it's a really hard mindset for me to break out of, even as a father and now having a supervisory role at my job. It's also the kind of thing that can make people think of you as difficult to work with and unless you're ridiculously talented no one will want to play with you.

I'm not saying this to be condescending or to be down on you LG, I think you're doing great and I've been really impressed at your growth as a guitarist (and as a poster on these hell forums), I'm just sharing my own experience and what has probably been the thing I regret most about my musical journey when I was in my teens and early 20s.

Gonna say yes and no. This is not about guitars anymore, but I'll briefly detour (and come back to guitars) by saying that I have an ingrained view of seeing reliance on others as a weakness and a vector for trauma. Unfortunately this has been reinforced through my life when the times I relied on others ended up with me in hospital due to them. "Control freak" and similar terms irk me because it was never a case of wanting control, my life was literally at risk all the time if I wasn't. It was never inconvenience or uncomfortableness, it was actual legitimate trauma.

And the answer to that has been a lot of therapy, both with a psych and also every day. When all you know about relying on others and trusting someone to do something for you is that it results in broken bones, or concussions, or breakdowns or similar then it is not just difficult but often impossible without professional help.

I don't know if this applies to LG or not, and I get what everyone means by saying to just chill and stuff, but it also reeks of some privileged poo poo. I'm genuinely happy y'all haven't dealt with that, but I'd personally appreciate if people weren't so flippant.

Jesus loving Christ that was way more than I wanted to say on that. Gonna make another post so this one can be ignored.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have absolutely sold myself on this bad boy.

I played the original Meteora, loved the feel, didn't vibe with tele setup. Played the second version and adored it. This one replaces the string through with a strat trem and I can live with that. I also miss the CAR and Lake Placid Blue honestly, but silver burst is loving nice too.

Also planning on getting an Orange Super Crush 100. These will be my first gear purchases in a couple years honestly, and I'm vibing with them. Nothing else has honestly stuck out at me as desirable to the point of wanting to spend the actual money, so feels nice to want gear again honestly.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

syntaxfunction posted:

Gonna say yes and no. This is not about guitars anymore, but I'll briefly detour (and come back to guitars) by saying that I have an ingrained view of seeing reliance on others as a weakness and a vector for trauma. Unfortunately this has been reinforced through my life when the times I relied on others ended up with me in hospital due to them. "Control freak" and similar terms irk me because it was never a case of wanting control, my life was literally at risk all the time if I wasn't. It was never inconvenience or uncomfortableness, it was actual legitimate trauma.

And the answer to that has been a lot of therapy, both with a psych and also every day. When all you know about relying on others and trusting someone to do something for you is that it results in broken bones, or concussions, or breakdowns or similar then it is not just difficult but often impossible without professional help.

I don't know if this applies to LG or not, and I get what everyone means by saying to just chill and stuff, but it also reeks of some privileged poo poo. I'm genuinely happy y'all haven't dealt with that, but I'd personally appreciate if people weren't so flippant.

Jesus loving Christ that was way more than I wanted to say on that. Gonna make another post so this one can be ignored.

I definitely wasn't trying to be flippant, and I'm sorry if saying "control freak" was a trigger. That wasn't my intention. I don't think LG is at the same level you were at, and I know I wasn't but I do have trouble listening to others in that way and trusting others, and bringing that into a collaborative musical environment is a great way to get people to stop playing with you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Harton posted:

I lol’d at “being traumatized” lmao

laughing at the experiences of trans people is cool and good

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

yeah kinda like how i relied on my older brother to keep my “i want to be a girl” feelings safe and he immediately told my really christian mom about it, causing her to root through my stuff when i was fifteen, then abruptly confront me about it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
that's why death metal is cool and good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf8Nd8aXuuQ

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

I'm back with my next round of annoying questions! :shobon:

- I picked up the NUX Mighty Plug instead of the Fender as it was less than half the price and no one had the Fender in stock. Anyone used one? Seems pretty neat but I need to crank the gate for any of the distorted amps otherwise there is heaps of noise, not sure if that's normal.

- Do people still use tabs? I found all my old tab books which was cool. I used to use Guitar Pro a lot back in the day, is that still a go-to app for tabs? The goal is to play to actual tracks but need to learn all the parts first.

- Is there any specific thing to know about power supplies for pedals? I discovered that I guess I got rid of them all when I tried to use my tuner pedal. I've only got three pedals currently so don't need anything major.

Here is my ugly and dirty franken-strat:

Why yes, that is grime and scratches on a terrible veneer.

My luthier tells me the neck on this guy is hosed. Truss rod won’t move. Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Oh god there's something wrong with me, at the start of lockdown I had 2 guitars, my generic strat clone starter and an Epiphone SG. I've since got a Gretsch Bass, an Electromatic Jet, and now 2 cheap Harley Bensons are on their way. And loving hell, I still have a semi hollow on my mind and might get the Harley Benson 335 copy and try to put filtertrons in it.

I am not good at guitar.

I should probably get lessons and actually talk to a human instead of only test myself against Rocksmith. Probably should replace/augment my little Marshall amp as well. Would all feel a bit much if I weren't putting the time in as well.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

My luthier tells me the neck on this guy is hosed. Truss rod won’t move. Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement?

It would be easier and cheaper to go check out a few Squier Affinity or Bullet strats, pick one with good frets on a good neck, and move your pickguard to the new guitar. I have a bullet that I got used from Amazon warehouse for $100 or so (pre COVID) and the neck is a fantastic slim c with very good frets. I may have gotten lucky, but I’ve heard that cheap guitars like this have become quite good recently, and their biggest problem (the electronics) is what you’d swap out anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I procrastinated for like two years on getting a competition orange tele and now they’re discontinued and then I procrastinated on that for a few weeks until they went out of stock and now I’m dangerously close to paying $70 over retail to get somebody’s floor model in “Excellent” shape instead of the new guitar I should’ve purchased like a year ago

:shepspends:

but I really really want that color

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

You'll want to make sure it's got a standard (or pretty close) neck pocket. Warmoth has a good diagram of the dimensions here: https://warmoth.com/guitar-body-neck-pockets

As for the neck, I'll just rattle off a few. https://guitarfetish.com (cheap but decent enough), https://stratosphereparts.com/ (sells the not broken parts from broken guitars), and https://warmoth.com/index.php/ (expensive but very high quality).

Instead of throwing you in the weeds with these, I'll pick out a few recommendations:

1. https://stratosphereparts.com/new-wd-licensed-by-fender-21-fret-neck-for-stratocaster-fat-d-shape-snfdr/ (A little curvier at 10", which I prefer generally)
2. https://stratosphereparts.com/new-mighty-mite-fender-licensed-stratocaster-strat-neck-maple-22-fret-mm2902-m/ (To keep the maple look)
3. https://stratosphereparts.com/fender-squier-classic-vibe-70s-strat-neck-stratocaster-guitar-parts/ (A Squier CV pull, hard to go wrong, but it does have a glossy finish)

Your luthier might be able to help source one too, and depending on your skill level, I might recommend enlisting them in getting a new neck installed. Lord knows I screwed my first up royally.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 3, 2022

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Is guitar rig 6 pro worth it? It's half off right now ($100) and I only have the intro version of 5 that came with my interface.

I guess to put it another way, if 5 has been fine, is there a better way to spend $100 to get more variety?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Not really, you're much better off putting that $100 toward a NeuralDSP plugin

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i have not been impressed with any sound i've gotten out of guitar rig save for the roland JC type sound

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i think my humor has gotten dry enough and i've learned to take this stuff not as seriously, to the point where i am considering learning a bunch of blues scales purely to have the ability to play them ironically.

like just unleash the worst most cliched blues stuff at a moment's notice, would be loving hilarious

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

i think my humor has gotten dry enough and i've learned to take this stuff not as seriously, to the point where i am considering learning a bunch of blues scales purely to have the ability to play them ironically.

like just unleash the worst most cliched blues stuff at a moment's notice, would be loving hilarious

a bunch of punk bands got a big kick out of doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYc7fiNseY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72BHwMIW914

and the greatest solo in punk and metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w9zayLzh4c

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well the good news is there's one blues scale and you probably already know it - it's natural minor but avoid the 2 and 6. Also sometimes play a diminished 5th. The real nitty gritty is learning all of the standard blues licks.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i kinda want to just Learn All Of The Scales or get really into technique. i'm confident enough in my ear for melody now that i feel like it's mostly a lack of physical endurance and some practice (i'm OK and i know where i am in the major scale, but not the best with making huge jumps and sticking the landing) and i want to just totally erase that so i can write sick guitar melodies

also i'm secretly thinking about super early, grungy, bluesy weezer where rivers cuomo would just shred for a while, but it was kinda sick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDFfi8xnwiM

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

everyone thinks it's hilarious/weird that i like weezer so much. then i send them my music, and everything they like about it is stuff i took away from listening to weezer. hmmmm

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No one thinks you listening to and loving weezer is particularly strange or ridiculous in-and-of itself, we're just busting your chops because you brought them up so often when you first started posting here. We all have bands that we love that may or may not be a little embarrassing, I really love the smashing pumpkins and that's probably a much sillier thing to be into than weezer.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No matter where else my musical interests take me, Dad and I spent entire weekends tooling around the lake in one of these bad boys

listening to ZZ Top, and I will never find anything but unioronic joy in that band.

We also listened to a ton of Tom Petty (who is easy to love without much defense needed) and Aerosmith (which somehow my brain was able to eject more easily, probably because their music had a sort of sinister sexuality to it that ZZ Top didn't and also they went full ballad about the time I did my grunge phase).

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
tom petty's a piece of poo poo, my uncle worked security for one of his concerts and saw him hit a woman backstage. gently caress that fool.

i was a u2 superfan in high school, i still really love achtung baby/zooropa/pop. i just pretend the band's plane went down over the sea of japan at the end of the last millenium.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

duodenum posted:

It would be easier and cheaper to go check out a few Squier Affinity or Bullet strats, pick one with good frets on a good neck, and move your pickguard to the new guitar. I have a bullet that I got used from Amazon warehouse for $100 or so (pre COVID) and the neck is a fantastic slim c with very good frets. I may have gotten lucky, but I’ve heard that cheap guitars like this have become quite good recently, and their biggest problem (the electronics) is what you’d swap out anyway.

nitsuga posted:

You'll want to make sure it's got a standard (or pretty close) neck pocket. Warmoth has a good diagram of the dimensions here: https://warmoth.com/guitar-body-neck-pockets

As for the neck, I'll just rattle off a few. https://guitarfetish.com (cheap but decent enough), https://stratosphereparts.com/ (sells the not broken parts from broken guitars), and https://warmoth.com/index.php/ (expensive but very high quality).

Instead of throwing you in the weeds with these, I'll pick out a few recommendations:

1. https://stratosphereparts.com/new-wd-licensed-by-fender-21-fret-neck-for-stratocaster-fat-d-shape-snfdr/ (A little curvier at 10", which I prefer generally)
2. https://stratosphereparts.com/new-mighty-mite-fender-licensed-stratocaster-strat-neck-maple-22-fret-mm2902-m/ (To keep the maple look)
3. https://stratosphereparts.com/fender-squier-classic-vibe-70s-strat-neck-stratocaster-guitar-parts/ (A Squier CV pull, hard to go wrong, but it does have a glossy finish)

Your luthier might be able to help source one too, and depending on your skill level, I might recommend enlisting them in getting a new neck installed. Lord knows I screwed my first up royally.

Thanks guys. I’m hoping he can help source/recommend one.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

No one thinks you listening to and loving weezer is particularly strange or ridiculous in-and-of itself, we're just busting your chops because you brought them up so often when you first started posting here. We all have bands that we love that may or may not be a little embarrassing, I really love the smashing pumpkins and that's probably a much sillier thing to be into than weezer.

oh i don’t even mean just here :p

like, my older brother thinks it’s funny how deep i am into weezer. so do my friends at school. i’m insanely deep in the iceberg — not just albums, but also rivers cuomo’s demo releases. and all the stuff that never made albums, and all the weird packages of demos he released on his website over the last couple years, all the weird songs that were done live once or twice, or just sort of leaked out somehow. i know most of that stuff. it never feels malicious, especially once i give them context for me liking weezer, it just feels like, to them, it’s a really odd thing to be so into. and i feel like a crazy person sometimes because i explain little things in weezer songs that make me love them so much, and they just always thought of weezer as a very silly band that you wouldn’t really heavily analyze.

and i don’t take it insultingly because at the end of the day people generally like the stuff i come up with and send them. if someone feels the need to look down on an inspiration of yours even though you’re coming up with good stuff, they’re probably an rear end in a top hat and they probably don’t actually play music.

the context for me liking weezer is that there was a summer before i turned 13, when i’m pretty sure i started puberty, because i started experiencing extreme gender dysphoria for the first time. during all this, someone sent me a link to pink triangle, just, happenstance. and it really blew my mind in a couple ways: one was that i really loved it, more than i thought i could enjoy music, because most of what i heard was contemporary hristian music in my mom’s car, aside from video game soundtracks and some punk songs from tony hawk games. nothing i really connected with.

the second was that i felt like i “related” to these songs, even though i knew the lyrics didn’t apply. i know now that what i was feeling was harmony and melody that expressed what i was feeling, even if it was underneath lyrics that didn’t. i still connect to music that way.

i stayed up for like two or three days, with only six hours of sleep breaking it up, self loathing, realizing i wanted to be a girl, and at the end of it, realizing i would have to transition — which was wholly depressing in itself because i was in north carolina in 2014 and my parents were both conservative christians.

pinkerton was the perfect album, musically, to soundtrack all of those feelings. so that’s why it and rivers cuomo/the way he writes melodies are so amazing to me. all that stuff shaped my brain at a time when i was discovering that i could love music, and discovering who i really was for the first time. it undoubtedly set me on the path i’m still on, where i’m going to school for music and i’m around people who tell me i’m talented and i write something substantial for a song almost every day, and i practice guitar and voice and hopefully soon piano. and it’s the happiest i’ve ever been.

so i think i have a wholesome enjoyment with all of that stuff

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

landgrabber posted:

This is playing with fire. You think all those blues lawyers started sincerely? Sure, some must have, but many were corrupted while "ironically" bringing some BAH-LUHZ to their lovely pub-rock bands.

EDIT: Weezer are fine. They had two great rock records, and a couple of okayish ones which is two more of each of those categories than like 95% of bands get and the guitar sound on Blue might be my ideal guitar sound, just so crunchy but clear.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 3, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Disco Pope posted:

This is playing with fire. You think all those blues lawyers started sincerely? Sure, some must have, but many were corrupted while "ironically" bringing some BAH-LUHZ to their lovely pub-rock bands.

EDIT: Weezer are fine. They had two great rock records, and a couple of okayish ones which is two more of each of those categories than like 95% of bands get and the guitar sound on Blue might be my ideal guitar sound, just so crunchy but clear.

It's really just a matter of time until landgrabber is asking how will the fretboard thickness of the three LPs they are looking at will affect their tone.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Lumpy posted:

It's really just a matter of time until landgrabber is asking how will the fretboard thickness of the three LPs they are looking at will affect their tone.

"Which of these flame shirts gives me the most sustain?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
piling on, dont spend good money on guitar rig. Ever since i picked up a couple Neurals every time i try to use guitar rig i just grit my teeth and shut it down. Very 2012-DSP sound. it sounds like a guitar but it doesn't feel like it, if that makes any sense.