Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
Or just buy a media center type remote that's an air mouse :P

I'm looking at these Zotac boxes, is it worth considering the E-450? Also, do none of the Intel offerings with the Nvidia Ion graphics compete at all?

Moonbloodsflow fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Zacata-based boxes perform much better than ION based stuff. Keep in mind even if you get an i7 PC you will need to either use a mouse and keyboard for netflix, or MCE which is awful compared to UIs like Roku.

I've said this like 10 times but a ad10 with XBMC and a Roku for netflix is probably the best combo at the moment. Under $300 probably too.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Which devices stream from Netflix at 1080p with surround ? I currently have a boxee that does 720p and stereo. I don't like it.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

jonathan posted:

Which devices stream from Netflix at 1080p with surround ? I currently have a boxee that does 720p and stereo. I don't like it.

Apple TV 3 does.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Roku/Ps3?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Anybody want to trade?

I have an Acer Aspire Revo 3610 that has been upgraded to 4GB of RAM.

Im not really concerned about noise, so Id like to trade it for more powerful desktop that I can use as an HTPC.

The acer has plenty of power to playback HD files, but i would like something thats a little faster for running handbrake. It all lives in a closet, so no noise or space concerns for me.

If you have one, but would prefer to have something thats smaller, quieter, etc, email me. nostromo777 at hot mail

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 2, 2012

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So, I'm trying to cut the cord. What I have:

- PS3 (newest model), currently with Netflix and Hulu Plus to cover most things, and PS3 Media Server from my PC for other stuff
- Philips 60" 1080p HDTV
- Decently powerful quad core Windows 7 system in another part of the house

For some shows I'd like to be able to watch live OTA but I also need to have DVR functions, not so much for recording shows but for stuff like being able to pause and resume when needed. Sony has apparently decided to give the US a giant :fuckoff: by releasing HDTV tuner hardware for Europe and Japan but not the US. Whatever. I can put a tuner or two in my PC, but I need a way to get that video stream to my TV, preferably without buying yet another device. I looked into this some and apparently PS3 Media Server only has a plugin for MythTV, for which the Windows support is dubious at best (basic functions work but plugins don't?). Windows Media Center will only stream to an XBOX360 and I don't want one.

Do I have any options with the hardware I have, or am I going to be forced to get another device? If so, what should I get (the cheapest possible solution)?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So, I'm trying to cut the cord. What I have:

- PS3 (newest model), currently with Netflix and Hulu Plus

Somewhat related, but you should read this topic:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482219

Basically, content providers are trying to make it so you need a cable subscription to use Hulu.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

IUG posted:

Somewhat related, but you should read this topic:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482219

Basically, content providers are trying to make it so you need a cable subscription to use Hulu.

This is loving infuriating. I'm trying to "do the right thing" and pay but apparently that's not enough. If cable/IPTV providers would allow a la carte service I'd be happy to continue paying for their service but I resent an $80 a month bill very strongly.

EDIT:

Took me a while to find it, but here it is: Nero MediaHome. It takes input from an HDTV tuner and streams it to uPNP/DLNA which means PS3...supposedly. I may get a supported tuner and download the trial to see if it works.

Powdered Toast Man fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 3, 2012

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Things like that are why I stopped giving a gently caress about "doing the right thing" a long time ago.

Join us....

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Searching didn't yield me any answers so I was wondering if someone can give me some advice here.

I have an N40L that I want to turn into an HTPC. A few people have told me now that the CPU can't handle 1080p playback and I should look into a video card with hardware decoding. I'm not really up to date on such video cards. Is anyone in this thread using an N40L as an HTPC? What video cards are you using?

I need to be able to decode XVID and h264/x264 at the minimum and the card needs to be low profile.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

devmd01 posted:

Things like that are why I stopped giving a gently caress about "doing the right thing" a long time ago.

Join us....

I find it virtually impossible to do things 'the right way' without major headaches and compatibility issues.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

IT Guy posted:

Searching didn't yield me any answers so I was wondering if someone can give me some advice here.

I have an N40L that I want to turn into an HTPC. A few people have told me now that the CPU can't handle 1080p playback and I should look into a video card with hardware decoding. I'm not really up to date on such video cards. Is anyone in this thread using an N40L as an HTPC? What video cards are you using?

I need to be able to decode XVID and h264/x264 at the minimum and the card needs to be low profile.

Hey ITGuy, I booted you over here but wasn't able to get you any love!
Check out this wiki for ideas. Basically the Radeon 6450 is what you want if you just want something that "works" tried and true. :)

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Graphics_Cards

EDIT: My note about the Radeon is assuming you are using windows. for Linux the Nvidia one would be better (also in that wiki)

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Hey ITGuy, I booted you over here but wasn't able to get you any love!
Check out this wiki for ideas. Basically the Radeon 6450 is what you want if you just want something that "works" tried and true. :)

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Graphics_Cards

EDIT: My note about the Radeon is assuming you are using windows. for Linux the Nvidia one would be better (also in that wiki)

Awesome, I didn't even think to check the wiki. I had this site bookmarked for the BIOS hack. I should be able to go from here, thanks for the suggestions.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

IT Guy posted:

The "optimal" card for getting fancy would be a Radeon 6570, too, if you're crazy about dropped frames or 3:2 pulldown quality or extra renderers. 6450 does the job if you're not an insane-o-tron, though.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

The "optimal" card for getting fancy would be a Radeon 6570, too, if you're crazy about dropped frames or 3:2 pulldown quality or extra renderers. 6450 does the job if you're not an insane-o-tron, though.

I definitely don't need pixel perfect insane cards. But I'll be using a linux distro as an rsync server and stuff as well so it looks like I need to go nvidia anyway. Speaking of that, I've only ever bought ATI cards in the past and the HDMI audio has worked great. Am I going to have any issues with HDMI audio with a GT520?

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005

IT Guy posted:

I definitely don't need pixel perfect insane cards. But I'll be using a linux distro as an rsync server and stuff as well so it looks like I need to go nvidia anyway. Speaking of that, I've only ever bought ATI cards in the past and the HDMI audio has worked great. Am I going to have any issues with HDMI audio with a GT520?
Not at all. I use an N40L with a Gigabyte GT520 and it works perfect. The only thing I had to do was manually specify the output device, which for me was "plughw:0,7". This may have just been because I use OpenELEC so one of the default options may work for you out of the box.

If you need to figure out which one it is though, SSH into XBMC and type "aplay -l". This will list out the audio output devices with a card and device number. Then you can run "speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D plughw:x,y" with x and y being the numbers shown in the output of aplay -l. Whichever one has sound is the one you type into the output device field.

greatapoc fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 4, 2012

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So Nero MediaHome 4 supports these tuner cards:

Nero posted:

ATSC™:

ATI™ TV Wonder™ 600 USB (ATSC + analog antenna)
AVerMedia® AVerTV HD Volar (A868R) USB (ATSC™)
Cat's Eye USB 3560 (ATSC™)
Hauppauge WinTV® HVR-950 (ATSC™ + analog antenna)
Hauppauge WinTV® HVR-950q (ATSC™ + analog antenna)
Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick (ATSC™ + analog antenna)
Diamond TV Wonder HD650 PCI (ATSC™ + NTSC)
Diamond XtremeTV USB Stick HDTV110

Some are less expensive than others, although I'm skeptical that there is really a difference in quality or reception. Anyone have any comments? Which would you choose from that list?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So Nero MediaHome 4 supports these tuner cards:

Some are less expensive than others, although I'm skeptical that there is really a difference in quality or reception. Anyone have any comments? Which would you choose from that list?

If you're going to do PVR and not use Windows Media Center go with SageTV. Nero is a poo poo factory.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

TheScott2K posted:

If you're going to do PVR and not use Windows Media Center go with SageTV. Nero is a poo poo factory.

Nero streams a live HDTV tuner feed with DVR functions to PS3/DLNA. I'm not interested in building an HTPC; I want to put a tuner in my main computer in another room and stream that, LIVE, to my PS3. So far MediaHome is the only product I've found that will do this.

:siren: UPDATE :siren:

OK, so it works. I got an ATI 750 USB tuner, downloaded the trial of MediaHome, and successfully streamed directly to my PS3. What wasn't clear in their documentation (I use the word loosely) is that there are not, in fact, any DVR functions. It just streams live TV, and it's apparently not compressed because it stutters like hell unless you go over ethernet. Until I can afford to build a real HTPC, though, at least I can record stuff on my PC and stream it later using PS3MS. Another option I'm considering is running an HDMI extension over CAT6 cable from my office to my living room. This seems to work well for some people apparently.

Powdered Toast Man fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 8, 2012

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important
Looking on some advice on what I should go for.

I need something that'll run XBMC and output up to 1080p. I'd also like it to be able to run emulators under XBMC. I don't have cable TV, so everything would be played via SMB from a server. I'd like it to be quiet-ish, but as long as the noise isn't high-pitched it's not a big deal. I'll be using a 360 or PS3 gamepad with it, so at least one USB is a must. It'll be gigabit ethernet, so no wifi is needed (wouldn't hurt to have it though, I guess). I don't mind using a goofy htpc keyboard instead of a remote control, either. As far as outputs, all it really needs is a single hdmi.

Would something like one of those Zotac 350s work for this, or would scratchbuilding be a better option? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Like a loving idiot I upgraded my Catalyst drivers from 11.8 to 12.3 last week. Now every time I turn the TV off (the HTPC stays on all the time) and then turn it on later, it says there's no audio device (I use HDMI), and I have to reboot the PC.

What's the deal?

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Like a loving idiot I upgraded my Catalyst drivers from 11.8 to 12.3 last week. Now every time I turn the TV off (the HTPC stays on all the time) and then turn it on later, it says there's no audio device (I use HDMI), and I have to reboot the PC.

What's the deal?

The current drivers are pretty much poo poo for HTPC use because of that. I have my HDMI plugged into my motherboard until they get their poo poo together.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

CrotchPheasant posted:

Would something like one of those Zotac 350s work for this, or would scratchbuilding be a better option? Any suggestions are appreciated.

The Zotac AD10 would be fine. The emulators and such should work fine if you are run Win 7 + 360 pad, and I'm guessing you could also do XBMCbuntu if you wanted, but I can't speak from experience. If you throw in an SSD it will be as close to silent as you can get, and even with a regular HD it should still be really quiet.

edit: I kind of think we need a new thread or OP. We are mostly answering the same questions over and over, and it would be nice to have info related to fusion vs ion vs full featured pc stuff and such in the OP.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 12, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Hey, I need a cheap one to put upstairs in the bedroom.

Want it to run OpenElec (XBMC distribution)

Don't need storage outside of the xbmc install

Just needs to output 720p

Something prebuilt is nice because I'm lazy.

Any recommendations?

crm fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 13, 2012

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

crm posted:

Any recommendations?

Same, but I need 1080p. No streaming from netflix or hulu, just playing files from my media library, which is almost all mkv. Having skimmed the thread I see the AD10 recommended. Would the barebones version with a cheap 4Gb dimm be able to handle a 1080p mkv over 802.11n flawlessly, or is that unreasonable?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Loucks posted:

Same, but I need 1080p. No streaming from netflix or hulu, just playing files from my media library, which is almost all mkv. Having skimmed the thread I see the AD10 recommended. Would the barebones version with a cheap 4Gb dimm be able to handle a 1080p mkv over 802.11n flawlessly, or is that unreasonable?

That network connection is likely going to be your biggest bottleneck.

I've never run XBMC over Wifi - does it buffer or what?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

crm posted:

Any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Dual-Core-Barebone-System-ZBOXNANO-AD10-U/dp/B005PAJU7E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336935660&sr=8-4

Loucks
May 21, 2007

crm posted:

That network connection is likely going to be your biggest bottleneck.

I've never run XBMC over Wifi - does it buffer or what?

I haven't tried it yet. I want to access my media from two different locations, and I've never dealt with pulling cable. Frankly, it seems like an enormous hassle. My hope was that I could use 802.11N to connect a couple of AD10s running OpenElec to a Microtik switch with a wired connection to my media server.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Loucks posted:

I haven't tried it yet. I want to access my media from two different locations, and I've never dealt with pulling cable. Frankly, it seems like an enormous hassle. My hope was that I could use 802.11N to connect a couple of AD10s running OpenElec to a Microtik switch with a wired connection to my media server.

As long as you're not streaming m2ts over a crowded wifi area (2.4ghz), it's fine.

with 5ghz and a good router, you can easily stream m2ts files over wifi. It's what I do. server and router are upstairs with htpc down.

Scrot Eel
Jan 22, 2002

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
On my Zotac AD10, whenever I hit the sleep/power button on my MCE remote one too many times, or hit it before it's fully gone to sleep (before the light is red) the fan goes crazy. It maxes out the fan speed, is ridiculously loud and won't stop until I unplug the power. What the hell is this and how can I turn it off?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

This doesn't address your question at all, but why even turn it off? Isn't low power draw part of the point?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Due to various lucky circumstances I have an extra ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250) and 8 gigs of ram sitting around. I currently have a 6 year old HTPC that struggles with 1080p files so I fugre it times for an upgrade/replacement. All I need at this point is a processor and a video card. What's are the two cheapest ones I can get away with, and still be able to smoothly run 1080p movies/stream?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Intel Pentium G620 will work fine in a HTPC. If you want to live it up a little, an i3-2100 or 2120 works well too.

I use the onboard video off my i3-2100 in my HTPC and it plays everything I throw at it without even really thinking about it. You don't need a separate video card.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I just moved and I'm hooking up my HTPC to my fiancee's receiver and I can't get audio through HDMI. Before moving I had it hooked up to my Onkyo SR607 receiver and now its hooked up to an Onkyo SR608. I'm pretty sure it isn't an issue with the receiver since we can plug the same hdmi cable into her laptop to watch movies.

Onboard graphics, ATI Radeon HD 4200, video comesw through perfectly, just no audio. When I go to the sound options in the control panel (Win7) it shows 'Realtek HDMI Output' as the default device and the audio bar thing reacts to sound when I play something in winamp. I'm checked that onboard audio is enabled in the bios, and I've updated all video and audio drivers from ATI and Realtek.

Any ideas?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

two_beer_bishes posted:

I just moved and I'm hooking up my HTPC to my fiancee's receiver and I can't get audio through HDMI. Before moving I had it hooked up to my Onkyo SR607 receiver and now its hooked up to an Onkyo SR608. I'm pretty sure it isn't an issue with the receiver since we can plug the same hdmi cable into her laptop to watch movies.

Onboard graphics, ATI Radeon HD 4200, video comesw through perfectly, just no audio. When I go to the sound options in the control panel (Win7) it shows 'Realtek HDMI Output' as the default device and the audio bar thing reacts to sound when I play something in winamp. I'm checked that onboard audio is enabled in the bios, and I've updated all video and audio drivers from ATI and Realtek.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure about that specific model but on my old onkyo receiver the selectable input, let's say TV1 could have an HDMI input selected for video and then you had to select the HDMI audio input separately. This made things like hdmi video and rca audio possible for me when I used a DVI to HDMI converter.

It may be that for the input you are using a separate audio input is selected.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any ideas?

Can you check to see if Windows is outputting sound through the HD 4200's HDMI audio in the Volume Mixer?

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

crm posted:

Any recommendations?

Rumor has it OpenElec on the Raspberry Pi is pretty capable. (assuming you can get hold of one :v:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0JmzVhQro

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Giblet posted:

I'm not sure about that specific model but on my old onkyo receiver the selectable input, let's say TV1 could have an HDMI input selected for video and then you had to select the HDMI audio input separately. This made things like hdmi video and rca audio possible for me when I used a DVI to HDMI converter.

It may be that for the input you are using a separate audio input is selected.

I thought the same thing but I can have the laptop plugged in via HDMI and have everything work perfectly then remove the cable and put it into the HTPC and it doesn't carry the audio.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Can you check to see if Windows is outputting sound through the HD 4200's HDMI audio in the Volume Mixer?

When I open the mixer and select the HDMI output and have something playing the green bar indicates that it is outputting sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Gorfob posted:

Rumor has it OpenElec on the Raspberry Pi is pretty capable. (assuming you can get hold of one :v:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0JmzVhQro
I don't think the openelec district that runs on the Raspberry Pi is public yet.