Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

The Mystery Date posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMfO2tUN66A

Videos by this guy were pretty useful when I first got Massive a few months ago. He does a good job of explaining what he's doing. Also, the manual has a nice little walkthrough about designing a simple bass that's helpful if you are really confused. The main thing to note about massive is that the modulation amounts are set by the little rings around the knobs, which is hard to explain without a picture, but you can check out the manual if you are having trouble with it.

You will not regret buying massive. Once you get used to it and realize how powerful and intuitive it is while sounding awesome, you'll love it.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I've been eyeing this - but be aware it might go on sale (it did at thanksgiving)
http://www.massivesynth.com/course/?utm_source=MassiveSynth.com&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=MPU

there's also a blog with tutorials posted from around the web
http://www.massivesynth.com

Thank you both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I've been eyeing this - but be aware it might go on sale (it did at thanksgiving)
http://www.massivesynth.com/course/?utm_source=MassiveSynth.com&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=MPU

I'd be interested if anybody has bought this and has an opinion on it. I'm sure there are parts of Massive that I haven't even touched, but it's usually stuff like the step sequencer which I understand, but just don't have any ideas for. Maybe I'm missing out though and just don't know it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Played around in Massive a lot today and made this short little clip shamelessly trying to emulate deadmau5's sound.

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/mau55ive

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm looking for a midi to usb converter and I'm not sure if I should go with a hub or a straight up cable. I want to have the lowest latency possible because I plan on using it for live performance. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I've been learning Reason, and I quite like it so far. I've managed to whack together a very short thing, trying to imitate Rusko a little bit.

It's my first piece of anything close to music. Rip it to bits! :ohdear:

I tried to keep the drumbeat intersting by mixing it up a bit.

All of the swooshy stuff was kind of whacked together over the top very quickly, and I'm really not a fan of it, I imagine I'll do the same kind of thing later on though, just with synths or bass instead of that sample.

Without swooshy stuff
With swooshy stuff

What sort of stuff should I be improving? Should I keep going with this or move onto something else?

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 27, 2011

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Our remix of Sasha's Cut Me Down. Thought I'd post it for download since the contest is long past.

Downloady

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Anybody have thoughts on pad controllers? How does the akai mpd26 stand up to korg's padkontrol? This would be for someone already using an apc40 so there are some nobs and sliders around if that makes a difference.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
I don't know about the bigger versions but the pads on KORG's nanoPad2 are alot better than the ones on the akai LPD8 in my opinion.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does anyone know where I can find or where to look for Indian samples? Specifically I'd like to find some Bhangra samples, like loops of dholaks or tumbis or something. That'd be loving :krad:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
There's dhol, bulbul tarang and some other Indian samples available at http://www.sampleism.com/search?q=indian

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Also check out Impact Soundwork's Sitar Nation, it's more focused on the sitar obviously but it does have samples of tablas and bayas for your use.

http://impactsoundworks.com/products/instrumental/sitar-nation-classical-instruments-of-india

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Cut the Cheeeeese Log and I'm a happy fellow!
Can anyone give me a beginners tutorial (or a link to such) on resampling bass in an electro sense? I don't understand it in the slightest, but from what I've heard it's really how most artists get that gritty thick bass I hear a lot and I'd really love to learn.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Beef Log Boy posted:

Can anyone give me a beginners tutorial (or a link to such) on resampling bass in an electro sense? I don't understand it in the slightest, but from what I've heard it's really how most artists get that gritty thick bass I hear a lot and I'd really love to learn.

You can try this series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keq0WT_pcuU

It's geared more towards heavy dubstep but it might be useful.

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Cut the Cheeeeese Log and I'm a happy fellow!

Thoogsby posted:

You can try this series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keq0WT_pcuU

It's geared more towards heavy dubstep but it might be useful.

Thanks! I've never been able to find videos that start from square one really, and the ones I do don't really go further than "bounce it to audio, now it's resampled!".

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Beef Log Boy posted:

Thanks! I've never been able to find videos that start from square one really, and the ones I do don't really go further than "bounce it to audio, now it's resampled!".

Right. This guy also has two other videos on his channel that explain how to separate frequencies both with the autofilter & multiband dynamics which might be good to check out before diving in as I believe he uses the autofilter method in the tutorial.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Ascian is awesome. Someone linked one of his videos earlier and I watched some of his other tutorials from there. Guy knows what he's talking about, I haven't seen such a good tutorial maker in a while. The dubstep wobble bass he makes in one video is loving insane.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

d0grent posted:

I'm looking for a midi to usb converter and I'm not sure if I should go with a hub or a straight up cable. I want to have the lowest latency possible because I plan on using it for live performance. Anyone have any experience in this area?

I bought a cable a few years ago and the latency wasn't bad enough IMO to impede live performance, but you could tell it was there. Cable was ~$25-$30, though, so take that for what it's worth.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

This is a long shot but does anyone know where I can snag some Lykke Li acapellas? acapellas4u has let me down.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
This Alesis cable follows USB/MIDI standards and works as well as any MIDI interface I've used: http://www.alesis.com/usbmidicable

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Okay, I want to do this thing. I have no budget, no midi devices, and no experience, but I have a goony custom built PC to start into very gradually as my unemployed-college-drop-out-income allows.

I've played with free trials of FL Studio before, but really only got as far as blanching at the endless screens of virutal knobs with labels that mean nothing to me before forgetting about it.

So where do I start? What's a good piece of software for someone whose entire musical experience is 'loving around with 200 dollar yamaha guitar'?

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Keatonguy posted:

stuff
You've got a long road ahead of you, friend. The learning curve on this stuff is extreme, and you're going to spend thousands of hours in front of a computer before you make anything really commercially viable.

With that said, you've already started on the right path. FL Studio is fine to make music with, and tons of people have made great music with it. It's not really about the gear, it's about what you do with it. Read the manual cover to cover. Watch tutorials on YouTube. You're going to need to immerse yourself in this stuff completely.

You're going to need more than just a computer if you want to make music people will actually buy. A good pair of studio monitors (speakers) and some high quality studio headphones are pretty much mandatory. An audio interface with good digital to analog converters is also a big deal. You're going to have problems if you try to mix your track on speakers bought from Target.

What kind of music do you want to make? Do you understand music theory? Have you ever played keyboards before? Do you know anything about synthesis or sound design? Do you know anything about percussion? Do you know anything about mixing/mastering?

The ability to make electronic dance music requires mastery of multiple diverse skill sets. It might seem overwhelming, but many people have started off from where you are now and have made a career for themselves in this industry.

My advice is to just start making music. Make a track, and post it here for us to critique. Make the next one better than the one before it. Keep making track after track after track and, eventually, you'll be making stuff that doesn't suck. The first hundred tracks or so I made were horrible. I mean really, really bad. I can't even listen to them. I'm pretty happy with the stuff I'm making these days, though. Three years later. (I work in my studio religiously.)

It's a long road.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Honestly, marketability is not my goal. I just love music, I think electronic music is the frontier, it's sound is to die for, and I want to be able to produce that kind of sound for other people to enjoy.
I played piano when I was a kid, like every white boy. I don't know music theory, no. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'knowing' percussion. I guess I've gleaned some things just because my dad has been playing drums in rock bands since before I was born, I know they have keys and tones and whatnot, they aren't just boom noises. I remember the basics of things like time signatures and sheet music, but it isn't what you'd call a practical understanding.

Actually, that's one leg up I have, I can borrow equipment from my dad. He has all kinds of traditional standalone recording equipment, including monitors and studio headphones.

So, FL Studio it is. Hopefully it isn't as :supaburn:ludicrously expensive:supaburn: as the other suggested tools.

fake edit: I probably need the 200 dollar version, right? The one with full audio tools, post processing effects, all that jazz? I guess that isn't as crazy compared to Pro Tools and junk.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You could download the trial version of Ableton and run through it's lessons for an overview of electronic music production concepts.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Keatonguy posted:

Okay, I want to do this thing. I have no budget, no midi devices, and no experience, but I have a goony custom built PC to start into very gradually as my unemployed-college-drop-out-income allows.

I've played with free trials of FL Studio before, but really only got as far as blanching at the endless screens of virutal knobs with labels that mean nothing to me before forgetting about it.

So where do I start? What's a good piece of software for someone whose entire musical experience is 'loving around with 200 dollar yamaha guitar'?

Well if you can't to buy any programs you can always download the Free Portable Music Studio here which is a self-contained environment put together by someone off the DubstepForums(I think). It includes Reaper as your DAW, and a bunch of free plugins and instruments to go along. While I don't produce anymore I have hosed about with Reaper once or twice and it seems to pretty powerful (especially for something that's practically free). Reaper is cheap to buy and get all the features as well, or at least will let you see if doing this is really for you.

And also I used to say Reason always made a good first (and potentially last) production program as it's self-contained, very visual and easy to understand. I've not used it since v2.0 or v3.0 though so I don't know if that's changed too much or whatever.

But as I've said before the most important thing if you ask me is to actually listen to the music, listen to what's going on in the scene you're in. Don't just think because you heard Avicii once you know what the script is. Dig deep and explore as much as you can. Buy as much as you can (vinyl and CD counts for double!). The more stuff you listen to, the more sounds and styles you're aware of, the better a producer you'll be. And remember it's dance music, not rock music.

And once again I'll differ from popular opinion. Do your thing but keep it locked down. Your first track will be poo poo. You might think it's good, but unless you're some prodigy it will be poo poo. And that's cool, it's supposed to be poo poo. Read as much as you can on production and sound design (and not from random Youtube videos or forums, as far as I'm concerned if your pipes have sprung a leak you ask a plumber, not some random guy off the street. You want good advice listen to those who actually know), experiment on your own, try and figure it out first on your own. Then if you're really stuck or think you're making a complete baws up then ask away. And once again when you do ask, ask the right people. It'll make your life so much easier.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

FL Studio is a fine program with a great sequencer workflow. Basically, great for all projects that start and end with sampling or synthesis, not so good for recording and cutting audio. The mixer can feel a bit claustrophobic but the ability to rearrange inserts as you please is great and lends itself well to experimentation. Also, it comes with a few very decent softsynths now (isnt Sytrus included?)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I don't use FL studio anymore but don't let people tell you that it's a beginner program or anything. It's a very powerful sequencer. Porter Robinson uses it and his tracks are incredible. Afrojack also uses FL studio as well as other big name producers. It's a very powerful and capable DAW, nothing very limiting for it in terms of electronic music.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I'm completely on board with the whole sounding-terrible thing. I'm not afraid to make stuff that's poo poo.

So I've got the FL demo, figuring out the basics. I just figured out that my keyboard can be used as a keyboard (:downs:), and I found that Sytrus synthesizer that someone else mentioned. I still have absolutely no idea what most of the tools in this thing do, especially all those graphs. I've tried dragging the data points around but I can't hear anything different about them, so I'm just playing with the filters.

I can also see how to make a pattern, which logically I would sequence somewhere else into a song. It feels like the death tone editor from APB, but with more customizability than I can even wrap my head around. Which is good. I'm sure anything I make right now will have a revoltingly bad mix though, since I have a choice of listening on ten dollar earbuds, a bluetooth headset, or second hand stereo+woofer PC speakers.

But who gives a gently caress, I'm gonna push the drum butan a bunch. :buddy:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

I'd love some commentary on this incredibly obnoxious electro house track I'm working on. http://soundcloud.com/eilios/carpetting-zoo/s-0yzJo

E: I'm aware the reverse reverb around 2 minutes is too loud, not sure what happened there, but it happened. It will definitely be lowered.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

my pog boyfriend posted:

I'd love some commentary on this incredibly obnoxious electro house track I'm working on. http://soundcloud.com/eilios/carpetting-zoo/s-0yzJo

E: I'm aware the reverse reverb around 2 minutes is too loud, not sure what happened there, but it happened. It will definitely be lowered.

The drums sound really flat and all the sound are clashing at the first drop. It also sounds like you EQ'd the low end out of the entire track.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

my pog boyfriend posted:

What did you mix this through? What kind of speakers (headphones?)?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I was bored and started to make some bro-step whilst sampling Breaking Bad audio. I'm in love with the idea, just mortified by my own execution.

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/i-am-the-danger-140

I apologize for making this.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Thoogsby posted:

I was bored and started to make some bro-step whilst sampling Breaking Bad audio. I'm in love with the idea, just mortified by my own execution.

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/i-am-the-danger-140

I apologize for making this.

I dig it, but have a couple of suggestions:

1) the increased speed of the voice clips doesn't quite work, it makes the words sound rushedandcrammedtogether. Don't mess with Bryan Cranston's diction and dramatic timing.

2) not feeling the synth that comes in right after the bass drop; it sounds too much like "soundcard MIDI" and like there are some notes which are out of key, it doesn't harmonize well.

3) don't ever ever apologize for your work other than saying "this is a work in progress".

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

h_double posted:

I dig it, but have a couple of suggestions:

1) the increased speed of the voice clips doesn't quite work, it makes the words sound rushedandcrammedtogether. Don't mess with Bryan Cranston's diction and dramatic timing.

2) not feeling the synth that comes in right after the bass drop; it sounds too much like "soundcard MIDI" and like there are some notes which are out of key, it doesn't harmonize well.

3) don't ever ever apologize for your work other than saying "this is a work in progress".

Yeah I see what you're saying about the speed of the voice when I relisten to the clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMEq1mGpP5A). I might try to get rid of one of the samples and space them out more and slow them down. I really dig the "who is it you think you see" phrase I just don't know how to work it in more. I also flipped the order to make it make more sense and edited out the "skylar".

I agree about the main chord synth. Doesn't fit in with the aesthetic. I think I'll try to switch it out with something with a little more tension and maybe a little darker. Also going to play with some resampling and make the wobbles a little tighter. Still getting a handle on Massive and some of the more intense VSTs out there.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 2, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Does Logic Pro have a function like FL 10 where it waits for input and then automatically starts recording as soon as something happens from the input? It was so handy for using my Monotribe with FL.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Does Logic Pro have a function like FL 10 where it waits for input and then automatically starts recording as soon as something happens from the input? It was so handy for using my Monotribe with FL.

I don't know about Logic, but if you just want a function to play your monotribe synced with Logic you could do it the other way round. You need an audio interface with multiple outputs and have your monotribe's sync in connected to a secondary output on the interface. Then you can route a white noise signal through that output and use it as a sync signal. Once you've set all that up, just press play on the monotribe, the programmed sequence will start automatically on the next sync input.

The sync signal needs to be quite loud, so turn up the volume if it doesn't work immediately.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

So after a good few years of not making anything I spent the week working my way around Ableton and made some dubstep (I used to use Reason to make Drum and Bass).

Here is what I've got to show for myself (I need to listen to it with a fresh pair of ears and mix it down as so far I've only done a little bit of mixdown):

http://soundcloud.com/klune/klune-the-sideshow

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
He's wearing Nikes GET THIS MAN

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Does anyone have studio monitor preferences?

Amazon is running a sale, and I'm looking at Rokit 5" monitors (which are not on sale) vs. Yamaha HS50M monitors (which are 15% off).

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

a foolish pianist posted:

Does anyone have studio monitor preferences?

Amazon is running a sale, and I'm looking at Rokit 5" monitors (which are not on sale) vs. Yamaha HS50M monitors (which are 15% off).

Remember that with a 5" woofer you're going to need the sub as well to get accuracy in the bass range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Read as much as you can on production and sound design (and not from random Youtube videos or forums, as far as I'm concerned if your pipes have sprung a leak you ask a plumber, not some random guy off the street. You want good advice listen to those who actually know), experiment on your own, try and figure it out first on your own.

I agree whole-heartedly with this. I recently watched ill.Gates' video class ill Methodology (a few times actually, and took copious notes) and while a lot of his actual output isn't necessarily my style (I only need so many die antwoord remixes in my life), I think his advice on workflow and library maintenance is brilliant. I'm also reading mixerman's Zen and the Art of Mixing. Do you have any recommended reading in the way of blogs/books/magazines/whatever?

• Locked thread