Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Star Wars blu-rays: this is why people pirate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on Citizen Kane

Also...

Adaptation. - Dec. 6th

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com on Citizen Kane

Also...

Adaptation. - Dec. 6th

Warner needs to hurry up and release a standard version of Citizen Kane. I want. I need.

Also the Adaptation preorder page is already up at Amazon.

$12.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005KKVAHW

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sporadic posted:

Warner needs to hurry up and release a standard version of Citizen Kane. I want. I need.

Also the Adaptation preorder page is already up at Amazon.

$12.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005KKVAHW

Nice to see that the list prices of Blus are getting less insane.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Men In Black is down to $7.99. Sony did a really good job with this one and if you are a fan of the movie, you can't go wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0017APPT8

zenintrude posted:

Nice to see that the list prices of Blus are getting less insane.

Image Entertainment and Lionsgate are the two studios that price their catalog titles low right out of the gate.

I wish other studios would follow their example.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

KingKapalone posted:

Star Wars blu-rays: this is why people pirate things.

So what you're really saying is that Star Wars fans are fine with the changes as long as they get to steal in the process of enjoying them. Nice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sheldrake posted:

So what you're really saying is that Star Wars fans are fine with the changes as long as they get to steal in the process of enjoying them. Nice.

There are HDTV rips without the latest Lucas fuckery :ssh:

- edit Or I guess he could be talking about testing it out first since this news broke after fans watched the leaks from the scene. Nobody (media or Lucasarts) mentioned anything about more changes until that happened. Without piracy, that would have been a special surprise for everybody who preordered or bought it the first day.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 2, 2011

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77882
Identical transfer, Blu-Ray slightly brighter and has better grain retention (as it should)

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I'm hoping Amazon will price match 7.99 for "No Country for Old Men" since that's going to be Best Buy's price in next week's circular.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I'm hoping Amazon will price match 7.99 for "No Country for Old Men" since that's going to be Best Buy's price in next week's circular.

That's already Best Buy's price here. It's in the bargain bin, alongside poo poo like Starship Troopers 3. :confused:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Feh! I saw that movie. poo poo's got no ending."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Dirty Harry Collection is Amazon's Blu-Ray boxset deal of the week.

Only $28.99 ($5.80 per movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00319ECGU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Here's a goofy question. Typically new releases come out on Tuesday (at least in my experience). For some reason X-Men: First Class isn't coming out until Friday. Is there any known reason why a distributor would do that?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

DFu4ever posted:

Here's a goofy question. Typically new releases come out on Tuesday (at least in my experience). For some reason X-Men: First Class isn't coming out until Friday. Is there any known reason why a distributor would do that?

I think this came up in the thread before, and if I remember right it's because two or three of the major studios do Friday releases instead.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yes and no. All the Studios do it, but only on select titles. It gives them a few extra days of sales on the charts and a bit of prominence in the store on the weekend.

But mainly its a counter programming move. The Friday release trend actually started a decade ago when Dreamworks decided to release their animated films on DVD on the very same Fridays that Pixar's films were opening in theatres.

Shrek came out on DVD when Monster's Inc hit theatres. Same with Shrek 2 and The Incredibles. Jump forward a decade and Deathly Hallows pt.1 hit DVD when Rio opened. Rango hit DVD when Hallows pt.2 opened.

With Fox having Planet of the Apes at #5 and nothing else opening until Sep 30...why not launch on a Friday?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Nice, the preorder for Zombi 2 (or Zombie) dropped down to $22.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005CU5OEU

For people who haven't heard

quote:

Blue Underground is proud to present ZOMBIE in a new 2K High Definition transfer from the original uncut and uncensored camera negative. Each flesh-eating frame has been lovingly restored to skull-rotting perfection under the supervision of Cinematographer Sergio Salvati (THE BEYOND). Now fully-loaded with hours of brand new Extras, this is the Ultimate Edition of ZOMBIE!

Disc 1 Extras:

- Audio Commentary with Star Ian McCulloch and Diabolik Magazine Editor Jason J. Slater
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Poster & Still Gallery
- Guillermo del Toro Intro

Disc 2 Extras:
- Zombie Wasteland - Interviews with Stars Ian McCulloch, Richard Johnson & Al Cliver, and Actor/Stuntman Ottaviano Dell'Acqua
- Flesh Eaters on Film - Interview with Co-Producer Fabrizio De Angelis
- Deadtime Stories - Interviews with Co-Writers Elisa Briganti and (Uncredited) Dardano Sacchetti
- World of the Dead - Interviews with Cinematographer Sergio Salvati and Production & Costume Designer Walter Patriarca
- Zombi Italiano - Interviews with Special Make-Up Effects Artists Gianetto De Rossi & Maurizio Trani and Special Effects Artist Gino De Rossi
- Notes on a Headstone - Interview with Composer Fabio Frizzi
- All in the Family - Interview with Antonella Fulci
- Zombie Lover - Award-Winning Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro talks about one of his favorite films

- edit Deadwood: The Complete Series is Amazon's deal of the day. $83.99, which is the lowest it has been.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00129AJFO?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00129AJFO

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 8, 2011

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Apparently Best Buy is expanding their reach of Best Buy Exclusive blu-rays into the realm of tv shows. Pre-order listings indicate that Best Buy will exclusively be releasing Hawaii Five-O: Season 1 on September 20.

As well, only a few people have reported finding it, but some are claiming to find a Best Buy exclusive blu-ray release of Archer Season One. Pics: http://forum.blu-ray.com/5174063-post13.html

Even though the prices are higher, if this means more TV shows get blu-ray releases that otherwise wouldn't, I'll still count that as a win.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 8, 2011

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Criterion.com just announced a 75,000 second sale for 75k fans on Facebook.

I got, at 50% off SRP:

- The Great Dictator
- Modern Times
- Stagecoach
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
- Kagemusha

Code: FB75K

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I Seven Samurai worth it if I have the DVD set already? Also oh god I have a $150 dollar cart already.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

KidDynamite posted:

So I Seven Samurai worth it if I have the DVD set already? Also oh god I have a $150 dollar cart already.

Yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
See for yourself:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare7/sevensamurai.htm

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Red posted:

Criterion.com just announced a 75,000 second sale for 75k fans on Facebook.

I got, at 50% off SRP:

- The Great Dictator
- Modern Times
- Stagecoach
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
- Kagemusha

Code: FB75K

$20 to ship to Canada :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I really wish The Man Who Fell to Earth wasn't out of stock.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Max22 posted:

$20 to ship to Canada :(

waah waah I can watch and have criterion blu rays shipped to my country with no hassle waah waah

:australia:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

waah waah I can watch and have criterion blu rays shipped to my country with no hassle waah waah

:australia:

Seconding this if there was an Ireland emote. loving PS3 not being able to play US stuff :argh:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edit: wrong thread

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 9, 2011

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Trouble in Little China finally dropped to $10 at Wal-Mart, in case you've been waiting for that one to go on sale.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Holy poo poo I need this yesterday.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Well, this was certainly out of nowhere. Archer: Season 1 will be released on blu-ray... this upcoming Tuesday. That is, according to this pre-order listing that appeared out of nowhere: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005LZW6GU/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

Well, this was certainly out of nowhere. Archer: Season 1 will be released on blu-ray... this upcoming Tuesday. That is, according to this pre-order listing that appeared out of nowhere: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005LZW6GU/

It's actually out in Best Buy, check about thirteen posts up.

\/\/\/
I am stupid, sorry.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 9, 2011

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's actually out in Best Buy, check about thirteen posts up.
Believe me, I know. Check out who posted it :) It just suprised me how fast we can go from hearing about some copies floating in the wild to an official release.

This actually just officially confirms the release, when it's due out, and that it's apparently not as exclusive as the sticker on the case would indicate.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Has anyone else had a problem with the bluray for Blood Simple?

There's no extras listed in the main menu, and I have no idea how to reach the commentary or trailer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If anybody has problems with their copy of X-Men First Class skipping or freezing on a PS3, disable the internet connection and go into BD Data and delete the 3+ megabyte file the disc installs there. I'm not sure what the problem is but the disc works fine after that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does anyone know whether it is worth spending the extra cash to get The World at War on blu-ray rather than just DVD? Reception of the blu-ray seems mixed and apparently they hosed with the aspect ratio.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Apartment is up for pre-order on Amazon with a release date of 9/13. I dunno if it's a mistake or what, but I ordered it.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie

WaitsUp posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with the bluray for Blood Simple?

There's no extras listed in the main menu, and I have no idea how to reach the commentary or trailer.

Did you check to see if it has a pop-up menu?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
For those that want to get Citizen Kane this week but hate the idea of the giant, bulky ultimate collectors edition packaging, Best Buy will have the film exclusively in digibook packaging, found online here. It's not much cheaper, but personally I'm willing to pay that much to get the disc in normal packaging on day 1. No idea yet if it contains the same number of discs, or just the film disc (but since the extra discs are dvd's anyway, you wouldn't be missing out on any actual high def content)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I want my Citizen Kane disc to come in an HO-scale Xanadu, complete with tiny, neglected zoo animals and an itty-bitty puzzle.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does anyone know whether it is worth spending the extra cash to get The World at War on blu-ray rather than just DVD?
No. The 16:9 cropping is loving terrible, and its not exactly a visually stunning series. There are a few customer-screenshots showing the cropping on Amazon, but I'd get the old DVD if you can.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I want my Citizen Kane disc to come in an HO-scale Xanadu, complete with tiny, neglected zoo animals and an itty-bitty puzzle.

No snow globe, no sale.

• Locked thread