Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm finally getting the gently caress out of that rundown firetrap that reeks of weed. I start a new, better-paid office job with full benefits tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just went through a pile of my old ds/psp/ps2 games that I'll never play again, and found I can trade them in for enough to get me a PS4! I've only got back into playing games recently, so a PS4 is very flashy and cool to me :) And since I'm paying for it with 'free' money, it kind of feels like being a kid getting a Christmas present from Santa :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
trade them in to gamestop or something? because if so, you probably have way more money's worth than you think, and selling the pricier stuff individually would probably net you enough for some games on top of the console, at least

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Invictus posted:

trade them in to gamestop or something? because if so, you probably have way more money's worth than you think, and selling the pricier stuff individually would probably net you enough for some games on top of the console, at least

Oh that's what I did! Plus I'm trading for store credit which gets me even more. On some items I'm actually getting significantly more for games that I bought used 10 years ago, its great :D

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This gochujang I found at my local Kroger doesn't play around (my sinuses are hella clear right now), and this sweet and spicy tofu I made is delicious.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

my girlfriend proposed to me today. :)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cynicus posted:

Congrats!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

One more week at my stupid lovely second job.

Also got a one-time bonus from my first job and was responsible with 2/3 of it and irresponsible with the other third. First time this year I've had real spending money and it feels good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pookah posted:

Oh that's what I did! Plus I'm trading for store credit which gets me even more. On some items I'm actually getting significantly more for games that I bought used 10 years ago, its great :D
oh, I more meant if you had sold them on SA-mart for cash or even ebay you could probably have net a significant amount more since gamestop's offered trade-in values are absolutely dire most of the time.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

My partner's been making soap and I've been making booze. We've been working on these products for many months and we put our Xmas gift packages together today:

1 strawberry liqueur 33%
2 blueberry liqueur 33%
3 limoncello 30%
4 a trio of assorted soaps made with herbs and flowers from our garden

Didn't have to buy anything for any non children in our lives!

Making things is cool, yo!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

How do I get on your gift list? That looks great! (Love the coaster, too.)

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Congrats to the newly-affianced!
Also those baskets look amazing!

Made a charcuterie board for dinner tonight and there was enough left to pack for lunch tomorrow.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Invictus posted:

oh, I more meant if you had sold them on SA-mart for cash or even ebay you could probably have net a significant amount more since gamestop's offered trade-in values are absolutely dire most of the time.

It's not gamestop, and yeah, their prices are crap, it's a local chain. I could probably get more but dealing with the hassle of selling separately, then shipping etc (I'm in ireland) is just too much. This way I get my ps4 for Christmas!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I managed to move out of my small, terrible, spider-filled basement apartment with 1 bedroom and into a bigger and better THIRD floor apartment with TWO bedrooms! And no spiders!!!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Biplane posted:

I managed to move out of my small, terrible, spider-filled basement apartment with 1 bedroom and into a bigger and better THIRD floor apartment with TWO bedrooms! And no spiders!!!

Moving on up. Excellent work.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

Moving on up. Excellent work.

It's great, I have been spending a lot of time just admiring the view from up high through my new adult-sized windows :allears: the neighbors already think I'm crazy lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cynicus posted:

I brought my Drake posted:

Also got a one-time bonus from my first job and was responsible with 2/3 of it and irresponsible with the other third. First time this year I've had real spending money and it feels good.

Biplane posted:

This is a lot of awesome! Thanks to all of you for sharing it with us, it really made me smile.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pookah posted:

It's not gamestop, and yeah, their prices are crap, it's a local chain. I could probably get more but dealing with the hassle of selling separately, then shipping etc (I'm in ireland) is just too much. This way I get my ps4 for Christmas!

:toot:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
We were allowed unfettered access to my stepdad's house by his biological kids until it gets sold. We had initially heard that they were planning on selling it for cash basically unperturbed to a contractor who planned to bulldoze it, contents and all, and they allowed mom in for a short time on one day to take a few things, mostly sentimental stuff. But when I realized they weren't actually going to go through the house themselves and let an immense amount of totally salvageable items get completely destroyed, and also the effect not being able to go through his things was having on mom, I decided that we should try to get access to the house, but not push the kids. I felt they were a bit too in a hurry to divest themselves of the situation especially since he left everything to them, and I didn't want all that furniture and especially clothing(there was a closet with two dozen winter coats in it that would just be binned!) to go to waste. So now that we are able to go in there, mom and I are systematically going through EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING. My stepdad was an incredible hoarder, which I did not know about until after he died. He never vacuumed and once something settled in his house, it stayed there. Dust is so thick in places you can literally roll it up. His bed was encircled by a pile of refuse almost 3 feet deep, made up of literally everything. Clothes, used medical supplies, millions of receipts, letters, deodorant bottles, general garbage, decades-expired candy, unmentionables, a ridiculous amount of loose change that I guess he just literally threw over there when he didn't want to deal with it.

his kids didn't want to dig through it all, and I honestly 100% do not blame them. they took the visible valuables, specifically the easily-accessed parts of his gold and silver coin collection and some things he mentioned in a note he left for them for after he died(I definitely saw one of them walk out awkwardly hiding a folder full of bonds and stuff), and left everything else to be disposed of. Seeing waste like that causes me anxiety, especially not being able to do anything about it, and so I'm happy they've allowed us the chance to organize as much as we can for charity. We're keeping what we can use or find interesting, but the vast, vast, vaaaaast majority is being donated, I'm hoping the local cleaners can clean up the coats for the homeless. The attic has 7 entire boxes full of newborn-to-2-years-old clothing and kids shoes, etc, which I hope will be put to good use since I hear donation locations are constantly hurting for kids stuff.

This whole experience has been unbelievably therapeutic for mom. she keeps finding things that she remembers from him, either stuff she gave him or stuff he referenced years ago. I'm glad it's helping her so much, even if it's also showing her a side of him that even she didn't see in the 18 years they were together.

there were also a bunch of coins scattered, well, everywhere. often under or among things. handfuls of loose change just scattered about. I posted in the "what sort of poo poo do you collect" thread about some of the coins we found digging through multiple feet of refuse:

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a coin collecting thread? My stepdad was absolutely obsessed with coins, and he left...a LOT of coins behind when he died. his kids took the majority of them(literally scooped the visible gold and silver graded coins up into a bin and hauled it off), but we've found some amongst his things as well, and it'd be interesting to get some more info on some. Lots of largely obsolete foreign coins, a few US coins I saw that are from the 1800s, very old paper bills from a bunch of countries(almost none in great condition, probably nothing worth much but are still very neat), handfuls of graded silver coins and proof sets that fell off from his coin shelf, that sort of thing. he was an immense hoarder and while sifting through the literal 2-3 foot deep layer of stuff on his bedroom floor, there were quite a few coins amongst the literal garbage, as well as about 40lbs of regular loose change, wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, half dollars, etc. if something fell in the pile, it simply sank into it, like a prehistoric creature into a tar pit.

edit: some of the stuff we found:

it's bewildering going through a true hardcore hoarder's stuff. there were silver dollars in a bag along with trash like empty deodorant bottles and melted 20-year-old candy in it. tons of clothes he wore once and tossed into a pile that is luckily salvageable enough to be donated. an antique pocketwatch mixed in a bag with a bunch of used medical supplies.

It's so sad. he never showed this side of himself to anyone outside his biological kids and my mom, he never let me inside his house, and now I know why. even mom is shocked at the extent of things, she saw the surface of the piles but never knew what was in them since he would lose his mind whenever she did ANYTHING to ANYTHING in his house, it's why they didn't live together and he usually visited our house instead of his. an incredible, intelligent, kind, compassionate man, traumatized throughout his life which led him down this path. it just makes me regret not getting to know him better and maybe being able to help him with this stuff.

It's a fascinating, depressing, and sobering look at how he lived, going through his house. none of the state he lived in had any effect on how he died, but it's still incredibly sad that he could not let go of almost everything. and yet, it's a blessing in disguise, as his kids are clearly not able to mentally handle dealing with his death right now. So while we're going through everything in the house, we're collecting important touchstones, photos, and items of interest, that my stepdad kept basically all of, of each of his kids throughout their lives. They were going to let this all get bulldozed, but I feel they're going to regret losing all those mementos and memories sometime down the road either themselves or if they ever want to talk to their kids about granddad, and so mom and I want to save these things for them for when they're ready, to think of their dad, their childhoods, and the good times.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Dec 7, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I am 100 days sober today!

ONE. HUNDRED.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
After a long terrible week I finally had a day off, went for the pizza buffet at Pizza Hut for lunch then spent most of the afternoon watching season 2 of Centaurworld. Overall a fun day. Just have to get through one day of work tomorrow, then a full weekend to just chill.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My apartment smells like delicious curry. Meal prep day is great.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

ONE. HUNDRED.

:thurman:
:hellyeah:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ONE. HUNDRED.

You loving rule and nothing can stop you. gently caress yeah, keep it up!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ONE. HUNDRED.

Congrats, if you didn’t know there is a Recocery thread.

On topic: I made it home from a work trip for the weekend.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
After spending two months losing sleep as my job was ending and I had to move out by the end of the year with nothing certain after that, I got a new, fully remote job making north of 120k after 15 years of 25-45k poo poo jobs and most recently more than a year as an intern with no paid time off, no benefits, and no possibilty for promotion. It's even with a German company that respects work/life balance.

My partner had a bad scare that she had cancer at the same time and we were talking about breaking up, but she found out she was in the clear while I was in my last interview and being offered the job.

Last week I had no idea what I was going to do. Now I'm moving to a place I love, looking to have kids, and finally getting a house, some backyard chickens and a dog. I can even get a new pair of shoes finally.

Hell of a week.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nyyen posted:

After spending two months losing sleep as my job was ending and I had to move out by the end of the year with nothing certain after that, I got a new, fully remote job making north of 120k after 15 years of 25-45k poo poo jobs and most recently more than a year as an intern with no paid time off, no benefits, and no possibilty for promotion. It's even with a German company that respects work/life balance.

My partner had a bad scare that she had cancer at the same time and we were talking about breaking up, but she found out she was in the clear while I was in my last interview and being offered the job.

Last week I had no idea what I was going to do. Now I'm moving to a place I love, looking to have kids, and finally getting a house, some backyard chickens and a dog. I can even get a new pair of shoes finally.

Hell of a week.

gently caress yes

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Nyyen posted:

That's really awesome! :henget:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

We're getting much-needed rain and it has caused my work to be closed and therefore cancelled for me. Free day!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I somehow scored free future weekly lunches for my IT support group after helping a lady out with her smartphone & VPN today :lol:

Long story short, I passed her on the way to help someone & she had a big cart with a bunch of pizzas stacked on it for her department. I jokingly said "hey, our IT office is just down the hall, drop one off could ya?" & she actually told me to pass info along to my group, their lunch would be starting at noon & they'd have plenty of food. I told my boss & teammates but we had pizza the day before that so nobody went up. Cue the lady bringing down a WHOLE family size taco pizza for our group when she needed phone help - after I got her set up, she got everyone's name in our group & is now gonna be sending notices every Thursday when they have food on their floor. Pays to schmooze a little & be good at your job :)

E: Also congrats to anyone else here who's hit milestones, had a positive life change, or anything else - keep that poo poo up! You can do it & you know everyone here has your back, we're proud of whatever progress/changes you've made!

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Dec 17, 2021

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For the first time in a while I have all my bills paid off in full.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

For the first time in a while I have all my bills paid off in full.

Nice, dude.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got some tricky moons in Mario Odyssey that I'd never managed before, and learning some cool advanced movements while doing so. Including the Metro kingdom glitch where you force the R out of the invisible wall so you can break the jumprope game over your knee, so I finally have Jump Rope Genius.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My mom sent me a $100 Visa card for Christmas, so I went on ThriftBooks and was able to put a 14 book dent in my goal to own at least one copy of each of Stephen King's fictional works, starting at the top with Carrie and making it to Christine with this haul, and including the Night Shift and Different Seasons collections. I skipped Rage, because that one is trickier to find, but overall, a nice big start on the collection.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
we finished cleaning out my stepdad's house. we've been going through literally everything since december 4th, 3-5 hours a day, digging(often literally) through the piles of stuff. there's almost nothing left to do except find somewhere that accepts lots of furniture donations and has a box truck that can pick it up. someplace besides salvation army, if I can help it, but they're getting it all if nobody else will because I don't want it all to go to waste.

feels good, also sad, to go through all this. makes me furious with some of the stuff we've found, that his biological kids were just going to let get bulldozed along with the house.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

to the victor go the spoils imo

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Captain Invictus posted:

we finished cleaning out my stepdad's house. we've been going through literally everything since december 4th, 3-5 hours a day, digging(often literally) through the piles of stuff. there's almost nothing left to do except find somewhere that accepts lots of furniture donations and has a box truck that can pick it up. someplace besides salvation army, if I can help it, but they're getting it all if nobody else will because I don't want it all to go to waste.

feels good, also sad, to go through all this. makes me furious with some of the stuff we've found, that his biological kids were just going to let get bulldozed along with the house.

Don't hold it too much against them. Grief is a hell of a thing and not being able to deal with literally going on a mining expedition through the life of your loved one is quite understandable. It might be the physical aspect of the whole thing, it might be the emotional aspect of seeing a less than stellar aspect of their loved one's lifestyle, but in both cases you can't really judge it without coming at it from their perspective.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just managed to do some really technical Koopa races in Mario Odyssey so what will likely be the most stressful moons are behind me, because the remaining areas either have a more straightforward route or easier terrain to navigate. The worst remaining challenge is probably gonna be the 100 Volleyball Volleys moon which is probably gonna be my last one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SerthVarnee posted:

Don't hold it too much against them. Grief is a hell of a thing and not being able to deal with literally going on a mining expedition through the life of your loved one is quite understandable. It might be the physical aspect of the whole thing, it might be the emotional aspect of seeing a less than stellar aspect of their loved one's lifestyle, but in both cases you can't really judge it without coming at it from their perspective.
oh I get it, but one of his kids was happily kicking her feet in the grass while talking to someone on the phone saying "our money troubles are over" before his body was even removed from where he died yet, and they were ready to sell the house for cash with everything still inside within a week of him dying.

like, we found the entire family history stretching back to the mid-1800s in here much of which has notations on photos to identify everything, and they were going to let it burn. it just sucks. I feel bad for the kids who are good people and hit hard by this, but letting all this carefully curated history of their family tree get destroyed is just...it sucks.

Rainbow Knight posted:

to the victor go the spoils imo
oh for sure, they are definitely missing out on some ridiculous stuff that we're going to keep because they didn't want to do the work of digging through it all. they're getting everything in the will because he had been in the process of updating it this year but hadn't finished it before he died, and so their lawyer went with one from nearly a decade ago that only leaves the three of them everything and doesn't give my mom anything(unless all the kids are dead beforehand). And I saw them myself sweep his gold and silver coin collection into a box and haul it out, as well as a folder full of bonds that they tried to hide from mom, so I don't feel bad taking anything we find that they didn't want to go through. hell, we found like 100lbs of loose change just...everywhere. handfuls of quarters that he apparently tossed willy-nilly in piles of stuff all over the place. it's not much compared to the stuff they took, but if it helps mom, I'll dig through the refuse for it.

that said, we've also taken any family history and photos we find to go through and collate into memory and history boxes for them. while the aforementioned greed demon may not appreciate it, I know the other two kids who were destroyed by his death will.

really the main problem is finding somewhere that will pick up all the furniture before the new year when the house gets sold. all the clothing has been taken out of the house and we have it and can donate it as we go through it, but there's no room at all in our house for all that furniture and it'd take a dozen trips at least to deliver it all to whatever donation center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Checkup after losing 10kg and blood levels went from :frogsiren: to :toot: just like that.