Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kittykisses posted:

So, after my tax return I am looking to upgrade my 23'' Dell IPS panel to a 30'' IPS screen. I can get the U3011 right now for right around $1k, but I am debating whether or not its worth waiting for the U3014.

I know the big shift with the U3014 will be the LED back lighting and potentially the coating, but I'm unsure whether or not it will be worth the (what I'm guessing will be) $300-$600 jump in price.

I'm using the monitor primarily for coding and gaming, but honestly ghosting on my current 23'' Dell IPS and 26'' TN panel doesn't bother me. I definitely want to go 30'' and can't go back to a TN panel.

Any advice goons?
The U3011 is so great I'm considering getting another one. It's worth every bit of $1000. I use mine for gaming, coding, internet, image editing and Netflix and it's great. I gave away my TV after I got the U3011. The only downside I've found is that it makes every other monitor look like garbage. If only it could make my posts look better. Here's a bunch of sperg stuff about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Question - I'm thinking about replacing my current monitors with the Monoprice 27" Crystalpro monitors when they become available - but they apparently don't have any internal scaling so they only take 2560x1440 input. I play some games/etc that only output in a specific resolution, and that'd be a pain with something like this; can you use a video card setting to play in-between so the program doesn't freak out and the monitor still gets the signal it wants? Currently running an nVidia GTX 670, for what that's worth.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Falcon2001 posted:

Question - I'm thinking about replacing my current monitors with the Monoprice 27" Crystalpro monitors when they become available - but they apparently don't have any internal scaling so they only take 2560x1440 input. I play some games/etc that only output in a specific resolution, and that'd be a pain with something like this; can you use a video card setting to play in-between so the program doesn't freak out and the monitor still gets the signal it wants? Currently running an nVidia GTX 670, for what that's worth.

Actual opinion: I know Monoprice following the Korean barebones model pretty much destroys the Korean barebones model, but just bite the bullet and buy one with actual features if you need scaling. They're backordered through March, anyway.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

MancXVI posted:

Actual opinion: I know Monoprice following the Korean barebones model pretty much destroys the Korean barebones model, but just bite the bullet and buy one with actual features if you need scaling. They're backordered through March, anyway.

Well, the problem is that the difference between a korean panel without any features and a domestic panel with those features is...fairly significant in cost, from what I understand - isn't a 27" IPS screen from anyone reputable basically 900 or more? Or are there panels out there with built-in scalers?

I'm not in any rush to replace my current ones, was planning on picking it up when they come out in march.

Edit: alright, looks like the 27" U2713HM from Dell is approximately like $650-800 or so depending on place; but considering I'm planning on replacing three monitors that is a chunk more cash. Although to be fair I can probably get away with replacing the middle monitor I use for gaming/etc with the Dell and the side panels with the CrystalPro ones.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 5, 2013

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Anyone have any experience with byfarthecheapest.com?

They have what looks like a pretty good deal on the U3011 right now, and good reviews on Google.

Haven't heard of them before, though, so thought I'd check here.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Falcon2001 posted:

That video card can handle most games at 2560x1440, and it also can scale resolution on the card side. There shouldn't be anything to worry about, unless you're connecting a device without scaling.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Falcon2001 posted:

The 670 will do the scaling itself, you're totally fine.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I've been considering getting a new monitor to replace a 4 year old, low res tn I have. I want something on the smaller side and I saw this one was on sale. I'm just curious if there's something secretly wrong with this one, because $140 for an IPS monitor sounds like an obscene deal. Is there something I'm missing that makes this one so much cheaper than similar ones?

Edit: I will mainly use it for gaming, some light movie watching/internet browsing. My current monitor has a 5ms response time, and I noticed this one was 7ms, would I really notice the difference?

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 6, 2013

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Kittykisses posted:

So, after my tax return I am looking to upgrade my 23'' Dell IPS panel to a 30'' IPS screen. I can get the U3011 right now for right around $1k, but I am debating whether or not its worth waiting for the U3014.

I know the big shift with the U3014 will be the LED back lighting and potentially the coating, but I'm unsure whether or not it will be worth the (what I'm guessing will be) $300-$600 jump in price.

I'm using the monitor primarily for coding and gaming, but honestly ghosting on my current 23'' Dell IPS and 26'' TN panel doesn't bother me. I definitely want to go 30'' and can't go back to a TN panel.

Any advice goons?

There is also the option of the HP ZR30W. Less input lag (10-15ms vs 25+ms) than the Dell U3011 but no built in scaler/menu. Also does 10bit colors if that's your thing.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Would either of these be OK?

LG IPS235V-BN 23" IPS LED 16:9, 1920x1080, 5ms, D-SUB, DVI-D, HDMI,VESA MOUNT,3Yrs Wty

LG IPS234V 23inch IPS PANEL,1920x1080 Black

Or should I just wait 'till I can afford a Dell?

Edit: Won't be used for any photoshop/colour work, just gaming, movies and uni stuff.

Guni fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 6, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MancXVI posted:

Seems like of pointless to me when the U2713HM has a higher resolution.

I thought so too. But now that I have the U2713HM I realize that the U2913HM will have a bigger panel size. For as uncomfortably tiny as text can get on this monitor, that may be worth it to people.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I'm putting my monitor on Craigslist and noticed its priced a lot higher than expected on the internet. It's a Dell E248WFP. Why is it priced so high ($550+) when you can get an IPS for a lot less?

I mean the picture isn't good at all and it's from 2008.

wide stance fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 6, 2013

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Do you mean the 2408 WFP? It's a full wide gamut monitor like the 2410, and not the same as the cheaper 2412.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Gwaihir posted:

Do you mean the 2408 WFP? It's a full wide gamut monitor like the 2410, and not the same as the cheaper 2412.

No, the 248WFP. How much would you guys suggest selling it for in good condition?

e: I put it at $100 on craigslist and getting flooded.

wide stance fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 6, 2013

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Microcenter's Auria 27" has been out a while now, any reviews from someone that's had one for a while? I've been reading the threads on OC and I've seen all kinds of posts of the Korean monitors being a bitch to return or dying after a few months. Is the warranty/ease of return worth the $120 or so?

Tomed2000 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 7, 2013

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69305&vpn=LS27B350HS%2FZA&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1312

Anything wrong with this? I'm running 3x 23" LG monitors right now but one of them is dying, just the motivation I need for a replacement 27". I'm sure the two 23 inch monitors surrounding a 27" will look ridiculous, especially with the same resolution, but it looks like a pretty decent deal.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Get it only if you actually want a TN panel running 1920x1080 at 27" - if so you very probably can't do much better than Samsung.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't necessarily want a TN panel but anything I could find was significantly more expensive and I'm no artist or graphic designer.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Dell Australia have the U2412M on special at $279 and the U2713HM at $559 right now.

I was pretty set on getting my wife two HP ZR2440w displays at $450 each when she got back, but those prices seem pretty fantastic. Should I reconsider my choice?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

KuroKisei posted:

Dell Australia have the U2412M on special at $279 and the U2713HM at $559 right now.

I was pretty set on getting my wife two HP ZR2440w displays at $450 each when she got back, but those prices seem pretty fantastic. Should I reconsider my choice?

If I were wanting 3 24 inch monitors for surround gaming would that Dell be a wise choice in my 1000ish monitor budget? or am I better looking to something else like a trio of Benq TN panels which will cost less and have a better response rate. 120hz isn't really an issue for me, not planning to do 3d and 60fps is plenty for my eyes I think.

UPU
Oct 20, 2010

Nyuck you say

Biscuit Hider

Tomed2000 posted:

Microcenter's Auria 27" has been out a while now, any reviews from someone that's had one for a while? I've been reading the threads on OC and I've seen all kinds of posts of the Korean monitors being a bitch to return or dying after a few months. Is the warranty/ease of return worth the $120 or so?

I picked up mine in June of 2012. I haven't had any issues with it, except it makes my 2nd monitor (crappy TN) look like poo poo. I purchased from Microcenter "just in case" to avoid any issues with returns if there was a problem. To me, it was worth the extra $100 for that and having multiple inputs, full menu, etc. I have recommended this same monitor from Microcenter to a couple of my friends, and they also have been happy with it.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

UPU posted:

I picked up mine in June of 2012. I haven't had any issues with it, except it makes my 2nd monitor (crappy TN) look like poo poo. I purchased from Microcenter "just in case" to avoid any issues with returns if there was a problem. To me, it was worth the extra $100 for that and having multiple inputs, full menu, etc. I have recommended this same monitor from Microcenter to a couple of my friends, and they also have been happy with it.

Will Microcenter allow you to return if its has dead pixels? Or does there need to be like 5 pixels in the center or some other random rediculousness in order to take back without a restocking fee?

I hate dead pixels so much.

UPU
Oct 20, 2010

Nyuck you say

Biscuit Hider

Bonobos posted:

Will Microcenter allow you to return if its has dead pixels? Or does there need to be like 5 pixels in the center or some other random rediculousness in order to take back without a restocking fee?

I hate dead pixels so much.

I don't know that they have an official dead pixel policy - if there had been a problem I would have relied on their 30 day return \ exchange policy and swapped it out for another one.

VVVVVVV "Normal" concern of a flimsy seeming base, but it has not broken or caused issues. Stand has tilt adjustment, and can be removed for standard VESA mount point. No top glass like some Korean models have.

UPU fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 10, 2013

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

UPU posted:

I don't know that they have an official dead pixel policy - if there had been a problem I would have relied on their 30 day return \ exchange policy and swapped it out for another one.

Sounds good, make need to make a treck to Tustin and check it out in person.

How do you find the build quality?

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

KuroKisei posted:

Even better, the Samsung S27A850 is only $550 at PCCG and lacks the cross-hatching & burn-in problem the Dell U2713HM apparently has.

Fanelien posted:

If I were wanting 3 24 inch monitors for surround gaming would that Dell be a wise choice in my 1000ish monitor budget? or am I better looking to something else like a trio of Benq TN panels which will cost less and have a better response rate. 120hz isn't really an issue for me, not planning to do 3d and 60fps is plenty for my eyes I think.

The Dell U2412M is fine. Also, Benq's TN monitors are generally not very good. The specifications on paper look good but all of their gaming monitors universally suffer from large amounts of RTC overshooting.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 10, 2013

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

jeffreyw posted:

Even better, the Samsung S27A850 is only $550 at PCCG and lacks the cross-hatching & burn-in problem the Dell U2713HM apparently has.

Any idea what the difference is between the S27A850D and the S27A850TSK? I'm having problems finding a comparison and all the reviews are for the S27A850D. Some suppliers are listing both with the D at a higher price point to the TSK, so I'm assuming that something is different.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

jeffreyw posted:

The Dell U2412M is fine. Also, Benq's TN monitors are generally not very good. The specifications on paper look good but all of their gaming monitors universally suffer from large amounts of RTC overshooting.

Thanks, made the order just now, I hear people always putting Benq panels down on forums, but I've had two different ones without a single issue, I guess I just got lucky.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

KuroKisei posted:

gently caress my life, I've been waiting for the Dell to drop to $279 since before Christmas or so and now it drops when I could afford it, but goddamit why couldn't it be even cheaper, or better yet the U2312HM be 30% off.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

KuroKisei posted:

Any idea what the difference is between the S27A850D and the S27A850TSK? I'm having problems finding a comparison and all the reviews are for the S27A850D. Some suppliers are listing both with the D at a higher price point to the TSK, so I'm assuming that something is different.

Provided 850TSK = 850T, the only difference is that Samsung ditched one of the DVI ports in favour of a HDMI port.

For the things that actually matter, they should be the same.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

So I've had a Samsung 245BW for about six years now. (24" 16:10, CCFL) I've been itching to pick up a second display just for some more room to spread out for chat/browser windows. I got a Samsung 23" S23B550 (LED, 16:9) and the problem is, that next to my old one, it's blue as all gently caress. I know that's probably to do with the LEDs, I managed to adjust it so people don't look gray, but now gray has a reddish tinge to it.

I was wondering about ebaying a Spyder3 to try and calibrate it, but then moments ago realized I'm probably only $50 and a coupon away from a drat Dell U2410 if I return this instead of getting something that might not do poo poo.

My main thought now, is if I got a U2410, would it be equally as impossible to match up with my 245BW? They'd both be CCFLs, but now one would be a new IPS and the other a 6 year old TN. Think they'd at least be a lot closer?

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Any thoughts on whether the Samsung S27A850 would be better than the HP ZR2440w for eye strain? My wife has problems with headaches from using most monitors and one of the biggest appeals of the HP was the 430Hz frequency which should hopefully help with any issues caused by PWM. Someone on HardForum said that the flicker on the S27A850 is much lower, but that they still got eye strain using it.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I'm assuming this 22" Asus is on sale for 50% off because it's being discontinued, but that's ok, I would be buying it to sit next to the LG Flatron I bought in 2008. Anything especially dumb about this plan?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

heat posted:

I'm assuming this 22" Asus is on sale for 50% off because it's being discontinued, but that's ok, I would be buying it to sit next to the LG Flatron I bought in 2008. Anything especially dumb about this plan?

Only thing I can think of is it's 1680x1050 instead of 1920x1080. Unless thats what you wanted.

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
Dell U2312HM is on sale today at newegg for only $220

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So I got my tax return and I've paid off my car and I was considering dropping some major :10bux: on one or two monitors to equal out my gaming rig. But then I thought well I've got a nice Samsung 42" HDTV that I could hook up to my machine and play games on that instead of at my desk. I did read this portion of the OP:

quote:

I want to use a TV as my computer monitor
Don't do this you silly bastard. There are many reasons you shouldn't, here are some:
HDTVs are designed for a specific colorspace (the word gamut AGAIN!), specifically: BT.709. This is what HDTV broadcasters are supposed to use for the TV shows they broadcast. The colorspace has different endpoints for its chromaticities, among other differences.
pixel density. There is a reason cramming 1920x1200 pixels into a 24" screen looks so sharp. There is a reason that video looks good at 1920x1200 pixels on a 47" screen, but text and UI elements begin to fuzz out a bit.
you might get stuck with motion interpolation you can't turn off/turn down. 120Hz is not for everyone
By all means feel free to hook up a HDTV via HDMI to your computer for use as a secondary monitor to watch media on or something. Just do yourself a favor and don't make it your primary display. The only exceptions I can think of are if you're really using the PC primarily as a gaming or media system, and don't need razor sharp text rendering for work. In this case, by all means use a HDTV as your monitor.

But wanted more input from people have done this. I do have a laptop that would become my main porn/SA/Facebook machine with another monitor and would only be using my HDTV computer for gaming and watching movies.

Is a 42" HDTV really acceptable for strictly gaming and 720p movies?

Thanks in advance for the input!

e: if it matters the machine that would be outputting to the TV is:

128gb SSD
GeForce GTX 570
8gb of ram
i5-2500k CPU @ 3.3GHz

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 12, 2013

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
I'm looking into building a new gaming rig, based around dual GTX 670 FTW. My big concern is the monitors--I have my heart set on 120Hz monitors but the ones listed on Newegg don't look all that great. I want 120Hz because I know my setup will push over 60FPS on most if not all current games and I want the benefit, but it looks like I'm going to sacrifice resolution, clarity, color accuracy and viewing angles to get that---all that I'm OK with if 120Hz makes a noticeable difference. I play everything from Dota to CS, BF3, SCII, etc, so from twitch-based shooters where I think the 120Hz would shine to slower-paced games where it won't matter.

I'm also considering a hybrid setup with one 120HZ for the FPS games and another IPS monitor for other slower-paced games, web browsing, light photo editing and etc. Will GTX 670's support two different resolutions and refresh rates simultaneously? IF so, would it be worth getting something like a BenQ or Samsung 120HZ next to something like a Dell Ultrasharp? My budget for 2-3 monitors is around $1500-1800 but I want to make sure that 1) I'm making the most of my setup and 2) I'm not wasting money by mixing monitors and having one down-clocked to the other.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Red Robin Hood posted:

But wanted more input from people have done this. I do have a laptop that would become my main porn/SA/Facebook machine with another monitor and would only be using my HDTV computer for gaming and watching movies.

Is a 42" HDTV really acceptable for strictly gaming and 720p movies?

I use my 42" Panasonic LCD for movies and games and am very happy with it for that usage.

Text isn't easy on the eyes but if you've got that covered with your laptop then no problem.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Ramadu posted:

Only thing I can think of is it's 1680x1050 instead of 1920x1080. Unless thats what you wanted.

Yeah, I figured it would be good to match the resolution of my current monitor, although they just put this slightly larger guy on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-117&Tpk=N82E16824236117

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

dissss posted:

I use my 42" Panasonic LCD for movies and games and am very happy with it for that usage.

Text isn't easy on the eyes but if you've got that covered with your laptop then no problem.

Do you connect with HDMI or VGA? My TV has a "PC in" which is VGA but my video card does not have VGA (two DVI and an mini HDMI). I've got it hooked up via HDMI -> DVI right now but I cannot get it to fit correctly. It is either too large for the screen and stretched past the edges or barely not large enough on the bottom only but perfect on the sides...

Going to try to grab a VGA cable today from work but I don't want to lose quality if at all possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I'm thinking about getting a couple of Dell 2007FPs. They're 1600x1200 and ~99.5PPI. I have a Dell U3011 which is 2560x1600 and ~100.5PPI. My plan is to turn the 2007FPs on their side to flank the U3011. There's about 1/5 of an inch in difference between the panels in height, so if I center them vertically, there should be ~10 pixel discrepancy at the top and bottom where the monitors meet. That seems close enough to where it wouldn't bother me. I've got a 2GB 6950 so it should be able to drive 3 monitors. Has anyone else tried something similar to matching up different panels? Am I missing anything?