Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, a guy's got to keep fresh. Nothing keeps you chipper like the soothing chill of an Omtose Phellack timepiece up the kiester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Junk Science posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. He's like the anti-Rothfuss.

This is the perfect description of him, thank you.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I just finished Dust of Dreams, and I'm left with a few questions.

What's the deal with Anomander Rake? Hood and Draconus made it out of Dragnipur, so why didn't he?

Why did Draconus' return obliterate two armies?

Does the Adjunct ever become less boring of a character?

Is Mother Dark an elder god, or something else entirely?

Was the fact that the Nah'ruk attack happened right when the Bonehunters were marching by essentially just a giant coincidence?

And not really relevant to the events of the book, but do we ever see Leoman again?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Eschatos posted:

What's the deal with Anomander Rake? Hood and Draconus made it out of Dragnipur, so why didn't he?

Why did Draconus' return obliterate two armies?

Does the Adjunct ever become less boring of a character?

Is Mother Dark an elder god, or something else entirely?

Was the fact that the Nah'ruk attack happened right when the Bonehunters were marching by essentially just a giant coincidence?

And not really relevant to the events of the book, but do we ever see Leoman again?

1 as I understand it, he basically gave up his soul to help bring MD back, but...Assail spoilers chances look good he was resurrected - as a new persona.

2 Because he got launched the hell out of Dragnipur and had his warren unveiled when he landed on the battlefield. His Warren, like KG, being essentially the vacuum of space.

3 No, but her boringness becomes understandable (IMO, anyway)

4 Something else entirely. Read Forge of Darkness when you finish TCG.

5 Don't remember, want to say yes - to the extent that events occurring in which gods have meddled can be coincidences.

6 Yes, in Esselmont's work - but you'll pretty much wish you hadn't

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've been reading Glen Cook's The Black Company books lately and thoroughly enjoying them. They were one of Erikson's main influences on the series, and it shows.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm still amazed how it only took a few sentences at the end of The Crippled God (the necklace, scream, and "I lost her") to have everything fall into place regarding Tavore.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Eschatos posted:

Unclear, it's implied that the Errant might have had a hand in that but never explicit, but several characters comment its the most ridiculous awful coincidence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zeal posted:

Hey, a guy's got to keep fresh. Nothing keeps you chipper like the soothing chill of an Omtose Phellack timepiece up the kiester.

"And when I find Icarium, I'm going to shove that timepiece up his rear end. I, Kallor Eidermann Tes'thesula have spoken. One voice, three asses. Thus."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the Nah'ruk - I may be misremembering, but I think there's a bit in TCG that says the Forkrul Assail put them up to it.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Just finished Memories of Ice. Holy crap what a book. My favorite so far. Just non stop awesomeness from page one.

Whiskeyjack, Itkovian, Bridgeburners =( A drat sad ending.

Can't wait to find out where things go from here. I guess House of Chains continues the Seven Cities stuff, then Midnight Tides is new stuff altogether, so I guess it'll be until book 6 until I see Genabackis again? Man, I really hope HoC has more Icarium/Mappo. I don't mind a host of new characters but it would be nice to revisit them at least.

Also, I can't stop laughing at GRRM for the fact that in the same span of time it took Erikson to release his entire 10 book series, GRRM only managed to release 2 books without endings to his series. Jesus, what a loving joke GRRM is. Malazan is so loving epic and intricate and realized and Erikson still managed to put out like a book a year while GRRM can't even release a single loving book with an ending in 15 years.

Think I'll read a quick Discworld before I hop into HoC, to decompress a little bit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Erikson was at Emerald City Comicon today and I got my sub press Deadhouse Gates personalized. SE is a very humble down to earth cool guy. It was a pleasure to finally meet him.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Damo posted:

Just finished Memories of Ice. Holy crap what a book. My favorite so far. Just non stop awesomeness from page one.

Whiskeyjack, Itkovian, Bridgeburners =( A drat sad ending.

Can't wait to find out where things go from here. I guess House of Chains continues the Seven Cities stuff, then Midnight Tides is new stuff altogether, so I guess it'll be until book 6 until I see Genabackis again? Man, I really hope HoC has more Icarium/Mappo. I don't mind a host of new characters but it would be nice to revisit them at least.

Also, I can't stop laughing at GRRM for the fact that in the same span of time it took Erikson to release his entire 10 book series, GRRM only managed to release 2 books without endings to his series. Jesus, what a loving joke GRRM is. Malazan is so loving epic and intricate and realized and Erikson still managed to put out like a book a year while GRRM can't even release a single loving book with an ending in 15 years.

Think I'll read a quick Discworld before I hop into HoC, to decompress a little bit.

DG is the high point for Icarium/Mappo, so don't expect too much.
They will return however.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Good, I didn't care about their stories at all. Same with Onrack and the edur in HoC that I'm reading atm. That said, what exactly is up with Tavore and Tamber? tamber's totally some elder god mindcontrolling her right

also idgi why did apsalar leave crokus?

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 29, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Itkovian owns and is the main reason that Memories of Ice is so good

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Good, I didn't care about their stories at all. Same with Onrack and the edur in HoC that I'm reading atm.
Onrack owns. Trull owns.

Also, Itkovian owns. And Bottle. Also Karsa. Definitely Toc. So much owning.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

also idgi why did apsalar leave crokus?

Apsalar does not have a high opinion of herself and Crokus' development exacerbated this.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Apsalar does not have a high opinion of herself and Crokus' development exacerbated this.

This, because Crokus becomes a straight up badass without having had a God teach him everything he knew. It's just straight up will and determination from some literally nobody street kid.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Captain Monkey posted:

This, because Crokus becomes a straight up badass without having had a God teach him everything he knew. It's just straight up will and determination from some literally nobody street kid.

I thought this had less to do with any level of badassery Crokus attains and more to do with the fact that he only becomes an assassin because Apsalar is one and he thinks that becoming one as well will bring him closer to her. What he doesn't realize is that she doesn't like who she has become and with every step down that path he takes she feels more and more guilty for causing him to follow in her footsteps.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I thought this had less to do with any level of badassery Crokus attains and more to do with the fact that he only becomes an assassin because Apsalar is one and he thinks that becoming one as well will bring him closer to her. What he doesn't realize is that she doesn't like who she has become and with every step down that path he takes she feels more and more guilty for causing him to follow in her footsteps.

This is very accurate.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd also argue that Crokus' level of badassery is actually very, very low (and it's better that way). The whole Cutter thing is meant to be awkward.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

I'd also argue that Crokus' level of badassery is actually very, very low (and it's better that way). The whole Cutter thing is meant to be awkward.

Low compared to a living Tiger God and 800000 year old world-cracking Mage-gods, sure.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Someone really needs to make a badassery scale for this series. Bonus points if x-axis is actual badassery, and y-axis is how much the character thinks they're a badass.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's about five years old but someone put together a list on the Malazan Empire forums.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

anilEhilated posted:

Its awkward as hell but the has maybe the best ending of anyone in the series, before the real ending that is also good

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Ross posted:

I just finished my second read-thru of Gardens of the Moon (read it first maybe a year ago) and still came away thinking this was one of the worst fantasy novels I've ever read. The cast is just too big, the backstory too sparse, too much happening off-camera or not explained at all, too many plots all going on at the same time that I think were supposed to link up in the end and maybe did but I really don't know. Just a mess.

Is this a common sentiment from people who go on to enjoy the series or should I just give up? I want to give it a chance because TBB seems to like this series and I like pretty much everything else in this genre that TBB likes. I'm not reading this dumb book a third time though, that is for sure.

Quoting this to follow up and say I'm really enjoying Deadhouse Gates so far (a little under halfway through). I can't quite put my finger on what exactly, but something about it in terms of just the quality of the story-telling seems a lot better than GotM.

I think the thing I'm struggling with in this series so far the most is that there's like four or five POV people/groups and the chapters are so long that when it switches to someone else, I've often forgotten where they are / where they're going / why / etc.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
I really enjoyed GotM the first time I read it. Deadhouse Gates is a definite improvement though as it's a lot smoother than GotM. GotM gets a lot better on the second read, if you ever go back and reread the series. Of course so do the rest of them and then you pick up on lots of little things that you miss the first time through.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's about five years old but someone put together a list on the Malazan Empire forums.

quote:

Hounds of Bacon

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

poo poo, could've just told him that and not leave your ~loved~ one behind.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
So apparently the 5th book is completely in a different time with all new cast? kinda tempted to skip it and continue with characters already introduced

Ross posted:

I think the thing I'm struggling with in this series so far the most is that there's like four or five POV people/groups and the chapters are so long that when it switches to someone else, I've often forgotten where they are / where they're going / why / etc.

This happens all the time for me, and trying to go back and find their chapter is impossible cause they're not titled like asoiaf.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

So apparently the 5th book is completely in a different time with all new cast? kinda tempted to skip it and continue with characters already introduced

This happens all the time for me, and trying to go back and find their chapter is impossible cause they're not titled like asoiaf.

Why would you skip it? Just read all of the books, in the order of print.

edit: Oh, if you can't keep track of things very well then maybe sure, go ahead and do what you can, I guess.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Drifter posted:

Why would you skip it? Just read all of the books, in the order of print.

edit: Oh, if you can't keep track of things very well then maybe sure, go ahead and do what you can, I guess.

because I want to know what happens to <name> NOW!!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Karsa, the dude who killed 2 hounds of darkness is SECOND on that list in ascending order?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Eschatos posted:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Karsa, the dude who killed 2 hounds of darkness is SECOND on that list in ascending order?

I'm also taking a list where a character's dick and sword are listed as characters in their own right seriously.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Truth!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'm so mad I'm not reading Fall of Light right now.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Read Midnight Tides. It's a bit jarring at first, but its loving good. I would say of all the books in the series, it's the one that can stand best entirely on its own, has some of the series' most loved characters, and is going to provide a lot of background for upcoming books to supplement what you've already read. The timeframe isn't completely different - it just starts a few years before the rest of the series.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Effectronica posted:

I'm also taking a list where a character's dick and sword are listed as characters in their own right seriously.

A list is also pointless anyway because it's basically Itkovian at the top and then everyone else can be whatever.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Oh Snapple! posted:

A list is also pointless anyway because it's basically Itkovian Kalam Karsa Tool Gruntle gently caress, LOADS OF PEOPLE at the top and then everyone else can be whatever.

Hell, I'd even put Brys Beddict and Trull on there. They both don't even know how good they are.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 31, 2015

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Wouldn't Icarium be way up that list too?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And where the **** did they place Udinaas? Man deserves the top spot for being the only clear-thinking character in the entire goddamn saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

And where the **** did they place Udinaas? Man deserves the top spot for being the only clear-thinking character in the entire goddamn saga.

quote:

Udinaas - anyone able to weaponise whining is a force to be reckoned with