Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Spongebob Squarepants has the best dialogue. It is thought-provoking.

Are you from my old scriptwriting class?

Nothing worse than some people putting it forward as one of their favourite TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Look, I'm sorry if the tasteful innuendo and simple -- yet incredibly deep -- humor of the show is above your head. It truly captures the spirit of the generation, and it's an inspiration to men and women everywhere. It's not quite as culturally relevant as My Little Pony or Homestuck, but it has its place among modern works as an item of great media significance.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

:stare:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I know that was facetious but reading that genuinely hurts

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Just popping in to say the Encyclopedia of Fantasy and the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction are both available for free online now. Apparently this is old news (2012), but I just found out and it's pretty cool.

Despite the boring name, both volumes are very well regarded and award-winning. They're basically tvtropes except not poo poo, because they're written by pre-eminent sci-fi/fantasy authors and have a decent editor.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

http://www.onethrone.com/#!joust/c19mu

for the next three hours, this contest is still open. get a beginning and ending line at noon pst tomorrow, then within 24h write and submit a story of >1000 words.

goonrush it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just typed The End on my novel. It came out a little short, at only 56,500 words. I have plans for a few scenes I want to add, which should get me to 60k, and I probably need to expand most of the existing scenes a little bit.

But I finished the draft!

So, now what? I really don't know how to go about editing a novel into a final draft. Anyone have any links to really good blog posts/editing books?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers is good.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

blue squares posted:

I just typed The End on my novel. It came out a little short, at only 56,500 words. I have plans for a few scenes I want to add, which should get me to 60k, and I probably need to expand most of the existing scenes a little bit.

But I finished the draft!

So, now what? I really don't know how to go about editing a novel into a final draft. Anyone have any links to really good blog posts/editing books?

Grats, i think the next step is to drink a lot

the book you're looking for is actually a cocktail guide

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Death & Co. is a really good one

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best way to tackle short dialogues in with telepathy or the like? Currently I have it as

quote:

Push on.
No.
Push on.
gently caress you.
This is not a request.

I'm kind of lost as to whether it needs quotations. It's a god speaking to a man(sort of) and his responses are not supposed to be audible more of an internal dialogue with the god.I've dabbled with writing before but always quit. Here's hoping I can stick with it for more than a week.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

jimcunningham posted:

What's the best way to tackle short dialogues in with telepathy or the like? Currently I have it as

I'm kind of lost as to whether it needs quotations. It's a god speaking to a man(sort of) and his responses are not supposed to be audible more of an internal dialogue with the god.I've dabbled with writing before but always quit. Here's hoping I can stick with it for more than a week.

Looks pretty good. I'd do quotes if the character actually spoke out loud, otherwise I think it's fine like that.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

jimcunningham posted:

Read (or re-read) Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man. It's all about telepathy, and he did some interesting stuff with formatting there.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Any decent guides on the traditional publishing submission process out there? I've forgotten all the fine details.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

painted bird posted:

Any decent guides on the traditional publishing submission process out there? I've forgotten all the fine details.

With all this self publishing going around I've forgotten this was a thing. Write a manuscript, write a pitch, write a synopsis. Hunt for agents and publishers that are
1. Open to submissions
2. Accept non-agented submissions.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

jimcunningham posted:

In Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, Death speaks in bold lower-uppercase without quotation marks, and it gets this point across beautifully -- it lends his speech pseudo-gravitas, emphasizing his dry humor. Did I mention Death is the best Discworld character? Because he is.

It's a shame about his granddaughter, though. She's insufferable and brings down whatever book she happens to end up in.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

painted bird posted:

Writer's and artist's yearbook. If you can't be arsed to order a copy, subscribe to the website while you're sending out enquiries.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

painted bird posted:

Feel free to PM or email me, sethjosephdickinson at gmail. I've sold a bunch of short stories and a few books.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Sent you an e-mail, since I don't have PMs.

Thank you everyone. :)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mat Morris, self published author and host of the "author strong" podcast, aka the guy who twice did NaNoWriMo in 24 hours, is livestreaming his attempt to write 50K words in June.

from June 1-28 he wrote 6K words, so he has 44K to do in the next 28 hours.

http://www.twitch.tv/matmorrisauthor

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I bet those are great words.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Malloreon posted:

Mat Morris, self published author and host of the "author strong" podcast, aka the guy who twice did NaNoWriMo in 24 hours, is livestreaming his attempt to write 50K words in June.

from June 1-28 he wrote 6K words, so he has 44K to do in the next 28 hours.

http://www.twitch.tv/matmorrisauthor

Since this dude crapped out, I'll take up his reins.

Join me as I write: http://www.twitch.tv/angel_opportunity

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

ahh nm, I've been taken down

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

angel opportunity posted:

ahh nm, I've been taken down

lol, why

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I broke the TOS apparently

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Twitch has a rather vaguely defined rule of "no non-gaming content".

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Moddington posted:

Twitch has a rather vaguely defined rule of "no non-gaming content".

Really? I watch a bunch of artists draw on there.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It is also rather vaguely enforced.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
When I did that I just used Google Docs.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ravenkult posted:

Really? I watch a bunch of artists draw on there.

you need to be reported

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

you need to be reported

you need to be deported

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I watched a dude play piano once. it was soothing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm going to stream myself as I stare at a blank wall and make vague sobbing sounds to myself. And for every donation I'll mutter a nursery rhyme as I put out lit cigarettes on my arm.

I'm nothing if not avant-garde.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
just stream yourself explaining to the thread your top-secret chosen snowflake genre

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Martello posted:

just stream yourself explaining to the thread your top-secret chosen snowflake genre

So you essentially want me to fart wetly into a microphone for an hour.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So I wanted to ask a more general creativity question of the thread; I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to talk about it but I'm a writer of fiction and thought others might have a similar dilemma.

I've worked in retail most of my life. Previously I've been able to daydream on-shift and often come up with some of my best ideas while I'm working. In the last couple of years I got a promotion and have come under increasing pressure to handsell and upsell. I find myself dreading going to work. Often I don't have a single creative idea enter my head the entire time I'm on the clock. Sometimes I barely have a non-work related thought. When I get home I'm exhausted. I often find on my days off I have to work double hard to get my creative mind working again, since it slips into dormancy during the work week.

Now the obvious solution is 'quit', and I'm working on it, but in the mean time does anybody have any advice on how to get the daydream engine rolling again?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mendrian posted:

Now the obvious solution is 'quit', and I'm working on it, but in the mean time does anybody have any advice on how to get the daydream engine rolling again?

Can you fit in any writing time before work? I totally relate to this and I found squeezing half an hour in before work was the only way to get things done. The evening is just dead time. Also try to care much less about work, but that goes without saying.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Can you fit in any writing time before work? I totally relate to this and I found squeezing half an hour in before work was the only way to get things done. The evening is just dead time. Also try to care much less about work, but that goes without saying.

Thanks for the suggestion. I find the hours before leaving are when I tend to be the most anxious, so I haven't really tried till now. But maybe getting my mind off of work is exactly what I need. Trying to not give a poo poo about work has been really difficult for me. I get really invested in poo poo and the more people tell me to do the harder I work. I blame it on my puritanical upbringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Work out.

• Locked thread