Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ran a session without making a single dice roll tonight.

My players wanted to get to an exclusive swoop race whose only access is via a train (heavy ion storms prevent aerial/orbital access).

The only way they could get on the last train before the race was agreeing to pretend to be the retainers for a con artist posing as a high society type. As the train goes through the worst of the ion storm, the emergency brake gets tripped, a guest has been murdered, and it turns out the identity the con artist took on was of a renowned detective. They are asking the players to solve the murder to keep everyone’s cover story up.

So should I quit my job to run this, or am I good with doing marathon sessions within some contiguous PTO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The players and I decided at the start that we wouldn’t do rolls for the investigation because “poirot doesn’t solve the mystery because he failed a perception check” isn’t a great story.

The twist I put in was that the murder wasn’t the intended crime, but a spur of the moment upon being discovered. The criminal had actually disabled the secure storage the service droids were in so they would be irrevocably memory wiped by the ion storm, in order to destroy the evidence of a previous crime.

The players are 90% towards solving it with the week to mull it over, and are reasonably certain on the right suspect, the intended crime, and are moving rapidly towards the proper motive. Was a real fun change of pace to our normal sessions.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
All games inevitably progress towards freeform.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

The players and I decided at the start that we wouldn’t do rolls for the investigation because “poirot doesn’t solve the mystery because he failed a perception check” isn’t a great story.

The twist I put in was that the murder wasn’t the intended crime, but a spur of the moment upon being discovered. The criminal had actually disabled the secure storage the service droids were in so they would be irrevocably memory wiped by the ion storm, in order to destroy the evidence of a previous crime.

The players are 90% towards solving it with the week to mull it over, and are reasonably certain on the right suspect, the intended crime, and are moving rapidly towards the proper motive. Was a real fun change of pace to our normal sessions.

uuhhh.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

e: I'm dumb

Sorry for the derail.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 10, 2018

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

TheTofuShop posted:

why are you even playing the game if you aren't going to use the systems? Seems like a lot of that stuff you mention could be easily mechanized in the game. I just don't get that whole mentality.

:smug: He's into ROLE-playing and not ROLL-plaaaarrrrrgggg :barf:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Can we not have this derail? This derail always sucks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hey let's let people play however they want and instead keep talking about this Star War that everyone is on about. It's very concerning. I wrote a letter to my planetary governor about how I'm afraid of someone I know and care about being enlisted for this Star War.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

People can give odds on my campaign. I'm running KOTOR to get myself and the players used to the system - Revan is dead, the players are Republic soldiers posted to the Endar Spire under Bastila's command.

The pool is "How do they kill Carth?" with an optional "Do they even bother to rescue Bastila before leaving the planet?"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Alternatively, be the enforcers for the new order when Bastila goes dark side and kills chin guy.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

wiegieman posted:

Alternatively, be the enforcers for the new order when Bastila goes dark side and kills chin guy.

The Crimson Chin, yeah

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Anyways, so I'm running a post order 66 Jedi on the Run game for my group at the moment.

They are currently helping an Imperial Intelligence Defector who has agreed to give the Resistance/Rebellion intel on the Empire, in return for safe passage off an imperial planet and a sort of witness protection program. My players, though all playing Jedi, have gone nearly full Murderhobo, and didn't ask the defector anything about how or why he's turning sides. Before we ended last session, they broke into and killed several people who were manufacturing and testing weapons for the empire. They blundered into this facility killing people with little regard for stealth or subtlety, so now that all the alarms have been triggered, what does the II send after them to quell this incident?

I'm leaning toward Stormtroopers (and an unseen Imperial Agent), but it's Knight Level play and they've basically obliterated everything I've thrown at them (which is fine, but I'd like to turn the heat up since they are in Imperial Territory, just maybe not a Sith Inquisitor, cause it is the edge of the Mid Rim, not the Core).

Help me thread, you're my only hope

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheTofuShop posted:

Anyways, so I'm running a post order 66 Jedi on the Run game for my group at the moment.

They are currently helping an Imperial Intelligence Defector who has agreed to give the Resistance/Rebellion intel on the Empire, in return for safe passage off an imperial planet and a sort of witness protection program. My players, though all playing Jedi, have gone nearly full Murderhobo, and didn't ask the defector anything about how or why he's turning sides. Before we ended last session, they broke into and killed several people who were manufacturing and testing weapons for the empire. They blundered into this facility killing people with little regard for stealth or subtlety, so now that all the alarms have been triggered, what does the II send after them to quell this incident?

I'm leaning toward Stormtroopers (and an unseen Imperial Agent), but it's Knight Level play and they've basically obliterated everything I've thrown at them (which is fine, but I'd like to turn the heat up since they are in Imperial Territory, just maybe not a Sith Inquisitor, cause it is the edge of the Mid Rim, not the Core).

Help me thread, you're my only hope

Death Troopers commando squad, commanded by some local Moff who has a weird obsession with Jedi paraphernalia and weird romantic stories of the Jedi.

VVVV - That too.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 10, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The empire goes out of it's way to kill Jedi, I wouldn't be afraid to send the inquisitors or even Vader after them if they're doing Jedi stuff out in the open and wrecking the imperials who try to fight them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, you should probably send an overwhelming force to really push the whole "you guys are supposed to be on the run" narrative.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If anything, you should send inquisitors with the goal of recruiting your players to the Dark Side, since they clearly are halfway there already.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reik posted:

Yeah, you should probably send an overwhelming force to really push the whole "you guys are supposed to be on the run" narrative.

Two overwhelming forces just in case someone has last one standing

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Azhais posted:

Two overwhelming forces just in case someone has last one standing

Ohhhhh idea!
Two different groups of inquisitors. One led by ambitious ISB agent who seeks to prove themself to the Emperor.
The other by an instructor of the Inquisitors, a former Jedi who has gone true believer in the Sith teachings after the fall of the Jedi temple.

Both want the group for their own purposes, neither groups are 100% sanctioned, but the Empire being what it is this sort of thing is allowed to play out.

You get two groups of overwhelming forces and a potential political power play that the players could turn to their advantage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If you wanna steal an idea from my old defunct ISB squad game, you could totally turn it into a metaplot.

ISB Agents secretly employed by Vader using a Moff proxy who are out to capture so he can build his own secret inquisitor group vs actual inquisitors sent by the emperor with exterminate orders. Your players are stuck in the middle of Sith intrigue games without even knowing it, all because they were too flashy and violent.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just had a fun idea for a game. An age of rebellion game set in an alternate timeline where The Alliance to restore the Republic failed and now, years later, the Yuuzhan Vong attack the Empire. The ideas that the escape pod got shot down over Tatooine so the rebels never destroy the Death Star and were instead wiped out. Also, for a little added fun, Luke Skywalker eventually joined the Imperial Pilot Academy by slipping away one night. While there, he was discovered by Darth Vader when he went to go inspect the new troops. Thanks to the Imperial Academy indoctrination and not seeing the evil of the Empire yet, Darth Vader successfully convinces him that he's his father and gets him to join the dark side and overthrow the empire and rule it as father and son.

Players will play a stormtrooper platoon deployed as needed to the outer regions. The Empire is strong enough to keep the yuuzhan vong in the outer regions, but the war is not easily won. Even with the Death Star, they are losing ground to the superior might of the yuuzhan vong and engaging in Desperate tactics, especially since they do not care for the lives of their soldiers.

Covok fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 11, 2018

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

what kind of monster kneecaps mission vao?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Looking at the preview for the Clone Wars era source book and boy howdy has that "heroes on both sides" line not aged well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LongDarkNight posted:

Looking at the preview for the Clone Wars era source book and boy howdy has that "heroes on both sides" line not aged well.

They made that article after Charollettesville.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Covok posted:

They made that article after Charollettesville.

It's tone deaf at the very least but it's from the Episode III opening crawl.

quote:

War! The Republic is crumbling
under attacks by the ruthless
Sith Lord, Count Dooku.
There are heroes on both sides.
Evil is everywhere.

In a stunning move, the
fiendish droid leader, General
Grievous, has swept into the
Republic capital and kidnapped
Chancellor Palpatine, leader of
the Galactic Senate.

As the Separatist Droid Army
attempts to flee the besieged
capital with their valuable
hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a
desperate mission to rescue the
captive Chancellor....

Covok
May 27, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

It's tone deaf at the very least but it's from the Episode III opening crawl.

To be fair, the Clone Wars were two functioning democracies tricked into war by a maniplulative Nazi and his cohorts so he could make a galactic wide Empire. Many of the foot soldiers honestly believed their cause and were heroes. It was just all pointless in the end and lead to evil's ascent.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Covok posted:

To be fair, the Clone Wars were two functioning democracies tricked into war by a maniplulative Nazi and his cohorts so he could make a galactic wide Empire. Many of the foot soldiers honestly believed their cause and were heroes. It was just all pointless in the end and lead to evil's ascent.

I'm sorry but the CIS was run by CEO's so they are clearly the baddies

Covok
May 27, 2013

Savidudeosoo posted:

I'm sorry but the CIS was run by CEO's so they are clearly the baddies

You then have to deal with the flipside which is that the Senate of the Confederacy was mostly outlying systems that were not being represented and denied necessary supplies by the core worlds. And then the other flip side where the galactic Republic was so controlled by corporations that they had corporations as representatives in the Senate. A funny little irony is that the Confederacy did not believe corporations had that much power in their government because they didn't allow them to have seats in their Senate, unaware that Dooku was basically giving them special privileges through backroom deals. I'm basing that knowledge on the Clone Wars episode where basically the Confederacy was bragging about how they were not controlled by corporations like the Republic was.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Covok posted:

You then have to deal with the flipside which is that the Senate of the Confederacy was mostly outlying systems that were not being represented and denied necessary supplies by the core worlds. And then the other flip side where the galactic Republic was so controlled by corporations that they had corporations as representatives in the Senate. A funny little irony is that the Confederacy did not believe corporations had that much power in their government because they didn't allow them to have seats in their Senate, unaware that Dooku was basically giving them special privileges through backroom deals. I'm basing that knowledge on the Clone Wars episode where basically the Confederacy was bragging about how they were not controlled by corporations like the Republic was.

for being a bunch of bullshit that was made up to cover a Lucas script typo, the Ruusan Reformation backstory ended up pretty neat i always thought

Covok
May 27, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

for being a bunch of bullshit that was made up to cover a Lucas script typo, the Ruusan Reformation backstory ended up pretty neat i always thought

...What?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Covok posted:

...What?

the ruusan reformation was invented because Lucas described the republic lasting for "a thousand generations" in ANH and "a thousand years" in RotS

so they needed a way to explain this state being 25,000 years old and also 1,000 years old

it was decided that, around 1,000 years prior to the films, the republic effectively collapsed and reformed, but continued to claim continuity of government for spurious prestige reasons

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 17, 2018

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

the ruusan reformation was invented because Lucas described the republic lasting for "a thousand generations" in ANH and "a thousand years" in RotS

so they needed a way to explain this state being 25,000 years old and also 1,000 years old

it was decided that, around 1,000 years prior to the films, the republic effectively collapsed and reformed, but continued to claim continuity of government for spurious prestige reasons

That's my second favourite justification after the Kessel Run involving black hole edge time bending to explain how reducing a distance of a trip was possible.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I GMd through the "Edge of the Empire" Beginner adventure box a year ago with some friends and we realized that "Hey, this was fun and we should do it again!". A year passed, but I finally sat down with an EotE core rulebook.

A few hours later I'm feeling mighty intimidated trying to create a campaign - just looking at the possible destinations and attempting to memorize all the race names, multiple planets and the "oh they can go pretty much anywhere to in this galaxy" is making me feel overwhelmed. So I'd like to rely on a handy supplement that worked for us with D&D when we started out: pre-made adventures!

There aren't a lot of official adventures (3 for EotE, 2 for AoR and 2 for F&D), but are any of the releases considered to be a solid starting point for the universe?
We're all more or less on the knowledge level of "We've seen the movies and played a few of the games".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Harkano posted:

That's my second favourite justification after the Kessel Run involving black hole edge time bending to explain how reducing a distance of a trip was possible.

It was never about time bending; the run was just shorter because you went close to the black holes rather than going the long way around

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lamquin posted:

I GMd through the "Edge of the Empire" Beginner adventure box a year ago with some friends and we realized that "Hey, this was fun and we should do it again!". A year passed, but I finally sat down with an EotE core rulebook.

A few hours later I'm feeling mighty intimidated trying to create a campaign - just looking at the possible destinations and attempting to memorize all the race names, multiple planets and the "oh they can go pretty much anywhere to in this galaxy" is making me feel overwhelmed. So I'd like to rely on a handy supplement that worked for us with D&D when we started out: pre-made adventures!

There aren't a lot of official adventures (3 for EotE, 2 for AoR and 2 for F&D), but are any of the releases considered to be a solid starting point for the universe?
We're all more or less on the knowledge level of "We've seen the movies and played a few of the games".

Beyond the Rim is really, really good for exactly what you're looking for.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Beyond the Rim is really, really good for exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks for the advice, I ordered a copy of it after peeking at a few reviews. Looks solid!

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

jivjov posted:

It was never about time bending; the run was just shorter because you went close to the black holes rather than going the long way around

Fair. I just meant in fixing the original line (which was supposed to be an obvious bluff that Ben saw right through) by applying gravitational space time distortion to the problem.

So my campaign is coming up for a natural break point. The team have just signed up with the Rebel Alliance for real (they've been on the run since before Yavin, and we're now a few months post Yavin. To commermorate it I'm going to try and 3d print these challenge coins for them -

That's the logo of the ship (which is the Farstar from the old adventure path that I've renamed the Force Majeure), merged into the alliance logo. The other side is the team's name (Aurek Team.. or A Team :) ) and the names of the characters in Aurebesh.

I'll know in about 20 hours or so how they look (Anycubic Photon).

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Double post.

Boom!

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Harkano posted:

Double post.

Boom!

Dude, that's super cool! You got some lucky players, my man.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Harkano posted:

Double post.

Boom!

That's really cool! I know that if I was one of your players I'd be delighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Today one of my players learnt that if someone with a lightsabre is trying to escape you should probably let them rather than get in their way.