Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
If your system can hang with it, Legacy of the Dragonborn is legit really cool and pretty well done. There's even functionality to have it span contributions from multiple character playthroughs thanks to FISS files, which is pretty neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
What's everyone's thoughts on Armoury of Tamriel? It seems like a really cool way of adding a lot of loot list variety without adding any "new" weapons or armor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

devilmaydry posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on Armoury of Tamriel? It seems like a really cool way of adding a lot of loot list variety without adding any "new" weapons or armor.

I love the idea, but it looks like it's not compatible with Complete Crafting Overhaul, which is a dealbreaker for me.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Going back to try Frostfall, Campfire, iNeed and Hunterborn again for SSE. I noticed though, after installing a Frostfall SKYUI Fix I'm getting slight inventory lag. I'm on a new character so my inventory is almost empty so I'm not sure what is causing it. Not awful, but enough so that I noticed it but couldn't figure out how to revert it.

edit: Also, trying to find/make a mod to give werewolves claws and claw unarmed animations has been fruitless. There is a decent mod called 'Vampires Fight With Claws' that does it for vampires but I can't seem to duplicate it for non-vampires. I got the claw model working, but the seemingly simple 'IsBeastRace' keyword is not changing my animations. Bah.

graynull fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 16, 2018

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Anyone had some hangtime experience with some of these big heavyweight land / quest mods?

Beyond Reach - Seemingly ginormous, worried about bad voice acting and Falskaar-style 'boy it's flat' --though some of the screenshots make it look like it's pretty ok in the latter department. Purportedly the size of three Skyrim holds, so it's a pretty big land mass if that's the case.

Qaxe's Questorium - Proclaims 100+ quests, though there's weird discourse about battling over how 'lore friendly' it is, seemingly.

Outlaws and Revolutionaries - I recognize some of the modders from a big Fallout mod team. Looks to be a tad... silly?

Darkend - An attempt at a Dark Souls style dungeoneering experience.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I’ve actually just started up a playthrough with Beyond Reach and Darkend included. I haven’t actually reached the point where I’m starting any of that content though, so maybe ask me again in a month or so. :v: I can say, from the tiny bit of an older build of Reach that I’ve played, that the voice acting did vary from NPC to NPC. Does look beautiful, though.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
What texture packs are people using with the special edition now a days or can I just use packs form the regular edition?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

dbzfandiego posted:

What texture packs are people using with the special edition now a days or can I just use packs form the regular edition?
I just roll vanilla. SSE textures sit comfortably in the "fine" territory, that it's functionally more trouble than it's worth to me personally replacing most everything for a consistent level of visual quality, while Vanilla SSE textures are consistent, if only consistently acceptable.

If you're really hard up, then most LE textures will work. Some formats cause instability on SSE (tga I think), but they're mostly limited to facegen data and rarely -if ever- used in texture overhauls.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

dbzfandiego posted:

I believe Agents recommended A Noble Skyrim a while back. I picked it up and it has been pretty solid. Has a SSE version in the files too.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've hated all the texture mods I've looked at so far. They usually ruin the aesthetic of the game with really brain dead choices.

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul I hear is probably the best texture replacement mod, but you won't find it on Nexus. I never bothered with it at the time as I really didn't have enough VRAM for it and because it was a 10 GB download, but many people have said it tries to match the original aesthetic of the game.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Alright thanks everyone, back to modding the game and not playing skyrim.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Whorelord posted:

so everything in my skyrim folder just deleted itself for no reason. standard.

so this happened again, going to move to se

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Got back into Skyrim recently after a 4+ year hiatus and I decided to try some mods. I found this crazy 200+ mod collection that was just updated a few days ago so I decided to install it and everything seems to be working together pretty good. I haven't enabled Frostfire yet, though, and I disabled iNeed since managing hunger/thirst/sleep was getting in the way of exploring dungeons 24/7. Also ended up doing player.modav carryweight 10000 since gently caress inventory management, heh.

However, one of the mods included seems to be a bit incomplete / poorly made. The Forgotten Dungeons mod on nexusmods. In general, they're absolutely humongous dungeons on a scale of 5-6 times anything else and skyrim is taking 10-20 seconds to quicksave sometimes. And most of the draugr hostiles are clipped slightly into the floor so when they exit the sarcophagi they get launched into the air / across the floor, sometimes taking major damage.

The first major problem I encountered is that the Forgotten Sanctum has several bridges that seem to go down when I hit the lever but still blocked the way.. had to tcl past. And I never managed to find a legit way into the boss area. I checked the comments just now and none of them seem to be having any problems so I'm wondering if it might be caused by some other mod in the giant list?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ambaire posted:

most of the draugr hostiles are clipped slightly into the floor so when they exit the sarcophagi they get launched into the air / across the floor, sometimes taking major damage.
sounds like a feature to me

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it really sucks that everyone recommends the "realistic ragdolling" mod because goofy physics are the best part of any game

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Shear Modulus posted:

it really sucks that everyone recommends the "realistic ragdolling" mod because goofy physics are the best part of any game

That is the one major thing I take out of modpacks as well. It's just not skyrim if I can't stealth-arrow someone and fling them over a house as a result.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Forgotten Dungeons does seem to be a pretty bad collection of dungeons, from my experience. Now, that’s not to say that the version in the mod pack you downloaded isn’t outdated; likely it is, and FD’s author may have fixed whatever bug you encountered there. But it definitely felt like a mod that was more about quantity in everything over quality when I had it in a setup a couple years ago.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NuclearPotato posted:

Forgotten Dungeons does seem to be a pretty bad collection of dungeons, from my experience. Now, that’s not to say that the version in the mod pack you downloaded isn’t outdated; likely it is, and FD’s author may have fixed whatever bug you encountered there. But it definitely felt like a mod that was more about quantity in everything over quality when I had it in a setup a couple years ago.

I got the latest version available. Almost all of the mods I added with that pack were the latest available, with only a couple exceptions.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

chairface posted:

That is the one major thing I take out of modpacks as well. It's just not skyrim if I can't stealth-arrow someone and fling them over a house as a result.

I like the semi-real rag doll they have for that mod. You'll still fire someone back but not like 30' if it bugs out (maybe just 15').

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Forgotten Dungeons is way boring. They're really really big dungeons with barely any enemies in them and nothing particularly interesting going on, by and large.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Shear Modulus posted:

Seriously. Has no one else played Dark Messiah of Might and Magic before? :(

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. Turns out that the problems I was having with that Forgotten Sanctum dungeon were because I had my fps uncapped to deal with a screen tearing issue since I forgot I could enable vsync via the nvidia control panel. re-enabled fps cap, enabled vsync, loaded an old save and went into the dungeon again, and I haven't had any problems at all.

That being said...

WHY THE gently caress DOES THE FPS MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THE PHYSICS ENGINE? It was around 250ish, but WHY?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ambaire posted:

Welp. Turns out that the problems I was having with that Forgotten Sanctum dungeon were because I had my fps uncapped to deal with a screen tearing issue since I forgot I could enable vsync via the nvidia control panel. re-enabled fps cap, enabled vsync, loaded an old save and went into the dungeon again, and I haven't had any problems at all.

That being said...

WHY THE gently caress DOES THE FPS MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THE PHYSICS ENGINE? It was around 250ish, but WHY?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Physics engines behaving oddly at nonstandard frame rates has been a thing since Quake 1, and probably longer than that.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jabarto posted:

I played it a little bit. I think I got it for free with a video card a few years back, but I don't remember much about it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ambaire posted:

That being said...

This is true for like... the majority of games with physics engines. Dark Souls has you clipping through floors when you uncap it, etc.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So, I'm rolling with a 1080ti and I figure it's time to mess around with ENB/etc. I don't want everything to be dark as poo poo and I'd like to see if I can eke out extra perf, are there any suggested ENB setups/etc or other modifications I should do to make the game look better and keep my framerate at 60?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zore posted:

This is true for like... the majority of games with physics engines. Dark Souls has you clipping through floors when you uncap it, etc.

I still don't understand why that's a thing. At first glance, I'd think a higher fps would result in smoother physics, if anything...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i think its just a thing with any game with the havok physics engine

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Jabarto posted:

That is such a fantastic game. Up there with VTMBloodlines and Arcanum imo.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jabarto posted:

I've played it. It's a very fun game, albeit with an exceedingly cheesy story. Don't play it for the story. Play it for kicking anything and everything into conveniently placed spike racks and off cliffs. And for the controllable fireballs and telekinetics. Kill your enemies with random stones and whatnot.

e.

Shear Modulus posted:

That being said, DMOMAM is not the same as Skyrim. Dark Messiah is about killing your enemies in ludicrous ways. Skyrim is a loot simulator, and knocking enemies off waterfalls and over houses means less loot. At least for me. Especially with "player.modav carryweight 10000".

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 20, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

because game physics engines like havok and bullet are designed with a lot of hacks and assumptions for speed and "good enough" and are not intended for an arbitrary-precision dynamics simulation

also because, i assume, that havok is an opaque black box that nobody at bethesda or any other game company has the ability to customize

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
greetings fellow goons, long time reader, first time poster

I'm having a glitch that's driving me up the wall - whenever a ghost dies, I crash immediately to desktop. So far it's been a ghost added by a mod, the ghosts in Yngol Barrow, and the spooky black edgy spectres in Meridia's temple. Any ideas?

Load order: https://pastebin.com/fvR6mQ0h

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

skyrim has a lot of issues but “physics breaking when the game is played at frame rates way above what it was designed to be played at” isn’t exactly a rare thing to see in a game

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/3aq9we/why_do_video_game_devs_tie_physics_to_framerate/

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Dalris Othaine posted:

greetings fellow goons, long time reader, first time poster

I'm having a glitch that's driving me up the wall - whenever a ghost dies, I crash immediately to desktop. So far it's been a ghost added by a mod, the ghosts in Yngol Barrow, and the spooky black edgy spectres in Meridia's temple. Any ideas?

Load order: https://pastebin.com/fvR6mQ0h

Did you already try walking yourself back through mod installs to prior to this occurring, or is that buried in the annals of history? You've been using LOOT for load order and whatnot?

This is almost certainly something it's trying to load that has a bad reference attached to it, whether that's a mesh or other effect. How familiar are you with tooling around in xEdit to peruse what mods are doing? More than likely there's something in your mod list that has modified the NPC / race entries that the ghosts you're crashing with are referencing and Skyrim is trying to load a missing file upon death.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seconding xEdit. I've used it to good effect figuring weird broken mod stuff out.

It's been a minute, but aren't ghost corpses some kind of ectoplasm blob and not a ragdoll of the ghost model? If so, I would also bet that the reference to that model in the plugin is pointing to a missing mesh or texture.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Occasionally it can also be an issue with a 'cloak effect' issue leaving Skyrim to poo poo the bed in new and unexpected ways, but I would start by Memento-style racking your brain for which if any mods might have affected the ectoplasm blob as mentioned that results when ghostly enemies are killed.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Did you already try walking yourself back through mod installs to prior to this occurring, or is that buried in the annals of history? You've been using LOOT for load order and whatnot?

This is almost certainly something it's trying to load that has a bad reference attached to it, whether that's a mesh or other effect. How familiar are you with tooling around in xEdit to peruse what mods are doing? More than likely there's something in your mod list that has modified the NPC / race entries that the ghosts you're crashing with are referencing and Skyrim is trying to load a missing file upon death.

Yeah, I was thinking it was something up with the dead ghostblob, but I wouldn't have the first idea of how to track that down. (also yes, loot sorted, ages ago, usual song and dance here). Nothing in my mod list should mess with ghosts - that is, nothing there is advertised as doing it. No ghost overhauls or whatever, and I tried swapping out my body mods, the xpmse skeleton, and the rest.

I will try this "xEdit" - is there a good tutorial somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's actually pretty straightforward. The files are relatively simple hierarchical data structures that are pretty well organized, though they are big. There are tutorials on YouTube, but I didn't actually finish any of them and just started poking at the files. I've been doing it with the Fallout 4 flavor, but it's pretty much the same poo poo. If you try to change (break) anything, the software brings up a big warning and makes you wait three seconds, so you really can just go hog wild without worrying that you are going to brick your game.