Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s the saddest sentence I’ve ever read. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Man.

My wife and I are stuck living in different states for work/school related reasons. I'm driving to visit her tomorrow and I think I'm going to hug her when I get there and never let go.

I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of that :(

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
JFC I just broke down crying...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It'll be two years next month.

It's like any other injury, in a way. The pain fades. It'll always be there, it might flare up from time to time, but it does fade. Where before I just wanted to crawl into a hole and die, I feel... I dunno, hollow. Less.

I'm probably always going to be melancholy when the weather starts turning cold. God only knows when Christmas decorations won't bum me out anymore.

I'm keeping busy, though. Beyond classes I have my Civil War reenacting and my school even has a living history club that I joined last year. In the summer I started taking violin lessons because I want to be Jack Aubrey when I grow up. Even thinking about buying the hat, but goddamn it's an expensive hat.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 1, 2020

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yo what the gently caress is a civilian citizen?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
They're normal citizens that wish they could be warrior citizens, hua?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soulex posted:

Yo what the gently caress is a civilian citizen?

They’re people that WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are... are you trying to take your girlfriend to a military base Burger King for a date?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

Are... are you trying to take your girlfriend to a military base Burger King for a date?

Those flaming whoppers are pretty good, bro. :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aranan posted:

Love Stole The Day!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Love Stole the Day posted:

Are civilian (edit-- US, sorry vvvv, typo'd there) citizens able to get a Day Pass at overseas Garrisons? Yongsan AG, specifically. Dependent card expired years ago and also-American girlfriend born and raised in NYC has never even seen a base before. Told her about how they don't charge tax on base and how you can use US Dollars and she was like "Holy poo poo... are we allowed to visit?" I know we can't go to the PX or the Commissary or the Four Seasons, but I figure the experience of touring or whatever is worth asking about. Plus if I remember right, they don't check ID at Burger King or whatever? So there's that, I guess.

I remember that for AFBs in the US and RAFBs in the UK you can just ask and fill out a form in an office by one of the gates but I don't know if it's the same for overseas stations so I figured that this might be a reasonable place to ask instead of embarrassing myself at one of the gate entrances over there because I don't know any active folks irl here.

I frequently see flyers in Itaewon or posts on the web about various events happening at Yongsan AG throughout the year (sports events, Thanksgiving dinners, etc) but we always are just kind of like "Welp too bad".

Oh good, I was worried I'd killed the thread.

Godspeed, Burger King Idiot.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yongsan has a bowling alley and some nice places to play slot machines on duty instead of working. Not at all sure how it would be impressive to anyone at all.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you are in S Korea and you want to go see an American military base, you suck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

If you are in S Korea and you want to go see an American military base, you suck.

The president was just there and visited the bases so this statement checks out.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I hope you find peace and live a long, happy life McNally.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Are civilian (edit-- US, sorry vvvv, typo'd there) citizens able to get a Day Pass at overseas Garrisons? Yongsan AG, specifically. Dependent card expired years ago and also-American girlfriend born and raised in NYC has never even seen a base before. Told her about how they don't charge tax on base and how you can use US Dollars and she was like "Holy poo poo... are we allowed to visit?" I know we can't go to the PX or the Commissary or the Four Seasons, but I figure the experience of touring or whatever is worth asking about. Plus if I remember right, they don't check ID at Burger King or whatever? So there's that, I guess.

I remember that for AFBs in the US and RAFBs in the UK you can just ask and fill out a form in an office by one of the gates but I don't know if it's the same for overseas stations so I figured that this might be a reasonable place to ask instead of embarrassing myself at one of the gate entrances over there because I don't know any active folks irl here.

I frequently see flyers in Itaewon or posts on the web about various events happening at Yongsan AG throughout the year (sports events, Thanksgiving dinners, etc) but we always are just kind of like "Welp too bad".

Call a recruiter.

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 10, 2017

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Lmbo

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Veterans Day must be right around the corner, judging by the number of guys on Facebook changing their profile pics.

*~ I served. Soldier for life. ~*

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 10, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Naked Bear posted:

Veterans Day must be right around the corner, judging by the number of guys on Facebook changing their profile pics.

Yes... right around the corner

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

It really weirds me out when guys I work with do it. Like, we're still in and wear that crap every day, why post about it?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
:shrug: Was worth asking, at least. Thanks for reading!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Naked Bear posted:

I was born on Veterans Day, and am now old enough that this is now always the first hint that my birthday is approaching.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Got a bunch of cheap coffee and two different lunch combos. Vet day food best part of vet day

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Did somebody on here say they were doing reenacting? I was checking out my local unit and was wondering how to get involved cheaply.

McNally posted:

I have my Civil War reenacting

Found you!

Ok, so what's the lowest entry shirt and pants? Can I get a regular white cotton button up shirt on amazon with some cotton pants and make it work for just the camping?

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 13, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

Did somebody on here say they were doing reenacting? I was checking out my local unit and was wondering how to get involved cheaply.

Found you!

Ok, so what's the lowest entry shirt and pants? Can I get a regular white cotton button up shirt on amazon with some cotton pants and make it work for just the camping?

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Most units will have some loaner gear to get you started, but you really don't want to skimp. Are you thinking Union or Loser?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Most units will have some loaner gear to get you started, but you really don't want to skimp. Are you thinking Union or Loser?

The group in my area does both sides (whatever is needed for whatever they're doing that weekend).

So do I really have to buy from some place that actually makes stuff for reenactors (expensive), or can I just get a cotton shirt/pants like this: https://www.amazon.com/Little-Kathm...ss%2Bshirt&th=1

Or something similar?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

The group in my area does both sides (whatever is needed for whatever they're doing that weekend).

So do I really have to buy from some place that actually makes stuff for reenactors (expensive), or can I just get a cotton shirt/pants like this: https://www.amazon.com/Little-Kathm...ss%2Bshirt&th=1

Or something similar?

Shirts like that weren't uncommon, but pants were wool. And I can't really recommend anybody selling things on Amazon, for that matter.

Edit:

This is where I store my Civil War stuff. I have several shirts: Changing into a clean, dry shirt is wonderful after a long, hot day and having something than a white/off white shirt is a nice way of showing some individuality. Inside the blue tub are my tent, ground cloth, pent pegs, rope, my knapsack...

Hanging on the left are my uniforms: From front to back are my fatigue jacket (along with my vest and trousers all together, just grab and go), frock coat, and greatcoat. Up top are my cap and hats, plus extra stuff that doesn't really have a place (I can see a bayonet scabbard just kinda hangin' out).

This is not a cheap hobby.

McNally fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 13, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

Shirts like that weren't uncommon, but pants were wool. And I can't really recommend anybody selling things on Amazon, for that matter.

I was actually checking out surplus for the wool pants. There's a bunch of European nations that have/had wool pants.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/3-used-german-military-surplus-navy-wool-flap-pants-navy?a=1084036

Why don't you do an ask/tell thread?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

I was actually checking out surplus for the wool pants. There's a bunch of European nations that have/had wool pants.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/3-used-german-military-surplus-navy-wool-flap-pants-navy?a=1084036

Why don't you do an ask/tell thread?

No. No no no. No. Also no.

Those pants are not constructed anything like Civil War era pants. Color is all wrong for everything you'd want to do, too.

Like, in GIP? Because I'm hardly an expert and I don't know how interested these guys are in pretending to be in the army.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

Like, in GIP? Because I'm hardly an expert and I don't know how interested these guys are in pretending to be in the army.

Over in the Ask/Tell thread area: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=158

I don't think I've seen a reenactment thread there.

You pretty much make an OP explaining what it is, how you're involved, etc. Then you just answer people's questions about it.

Maybe there are some hardcore reenactors on the website we don't know about.

And quit telling me no! I'm a grown rear end man and can wear jeggings to the civil war if I want to!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

Over in the Ask/Tell thread area: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=158

I don't think I've seen a reenactment thread there.

You pretty much make an OP explaining what it is, how you're involved, etc. Then you just answer people's questions about it.

Maybe there are some hardcore reenactors on the website we don't know about.

Because I don't really feel like dealing with possible trolls.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

But you're talking to us. :colbert:

Ok, so we don't have to go on with this stuff, do you have any links to stores that sell stuff that is good?

Also, what's the minimum I can get by with (clothing wise) in a camp-like situation (not actual battle stuff)? Shoes/pants/shirt?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

But you're talking to us. :colbert:

Ok, so we don't have to go on with this stuff, do you have any links to stores that sell stuff that is good?

Also, what's the minimum I can get by with (clothing wise) in a camp-like situation (not actual battle stuff)? Shoes/pants/shirt?

Bare minimum, you should have shirt, shoes, jacket, and trousers.

Regimental Quartermaster is generally a one-stop shop for reenacting but their stuff runs the spectrum from quality to middling.

regtqm.com

In reality, though, reenacting is less about camp and more taking the field to go bang. For that you need a rifle, belt with buckle, cap pouch, bayonet, scabbard, cartridge box, and cartridge box sling.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

Bare minimum, you should have shirt, shoes, jacket, and trousers.

Regimental Quartermaster is generally a one-stop shop for reenacting but their stuff runs the spectrum from quality to middling.

regtqm.com

In reality, though, reenacting is less about camp and more taking the field to go bang. For that you need a rifle, belt with buckle, cap pouch, bayonet, scabbard, cartridge box, and cartridge box sling.

Cool, thanks.

There's a black powder thread over in the firing range. My son and I just built a black powder blunderbuss and want to build other stuff too (because it's fun).

Here's a link to the finished thing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838406#post477811115

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

It can’t be worse than the A/T thread I did where I posted what I was doing in the military (DJ stuff) without the people here knowing.

Then GiP found out.

You’ll be fine compared to that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I did re-enacting a long time ago, and if I’d do it again, I’d start buyung the good good. Get cheapest items first of course for a barebones kit, BUT never get something with the idea ”eh but it’s almost what I need and will work for now”.

Just take the long road, buy things that’ll be 100 percent right poo poo. That way you don’t end up regretting anything, with useless poo poo and wasted money. Make the day 1 purchase be good year down the road, too.

As an example, instead of skimping down on the exact uniform to afford webbing and bags, just buy the uniform and be the dude with no bags, if that makes sense.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 13, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

There was a Fire bush civil war?

Edit: Finnish. Autocorrect. Keeping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
In Finland you mainly do ACw, WW2 and, lol, Vietnam.

Charlie in the pine tree!