Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Sadly, my Mrobin will be retired after this since the dumb gently caress has -spd. The extra def he got in return does almost nothing to help him survive. Instead, I've been using Ogma to alpha strike takumi's before they can get a shot off.

I feel for you -spd buddy. I can't afford to retire him since he's my only blue 5* and is the core of my team as a result so I'm just hoping I roll him again and can just upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Skill inheritance all willy nilly would be pretty dumb and allow for some ridiculously overpowered combos like vantage-Takumi listed above.

I'm still guessing it's going to be new costumes/classes you can merge into the originals to fill empty skill slots, give you poo poo to spend sp on, and keep things more easily balanced. Being a few weeks from now would fit a timeline for the contest winner's new costumes too.

Having to consider every other character's skill choices when creating new units/skills sounds like a terrible idea for content developers.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Clarste posted:

I just realized that checking every single unit for unexpected skills in arena is going to be really tedious, no matter what the restrictions on inheritance are.

This is why I think it'll just be the empty ABC skills. But yeah, meh.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Who should I be looking to 5* star next? I have a 4* Nino & 4* Kagero who are both appealling.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tyberius posted:

Who should I be looking to 5* star next? I have a 4* Nino & 4* Kagero who are both appealling.

Probably Kagero out of those two.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
choose your favourite, bro

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finally managed to clear F. Robin on Hard with a team of Julia (Lv. 35), Eirika (Lv. 28), Lissa (Lv. 26+1, 4*) and Olivia (Lv. 21, 3*). :toot:

Needed to run Eirika in there so that Julia would have enough speed to not get doubled by the red tome user on the first round of attacks. Still took more than one try, but I was eventually able to set it up so that Julia was able to kill everything almost everything by herself, with Eirika having to finish off the Axe Fighter after Julia softened him up a bit.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Between Tharja and Lilina, which one is better? Assume you're not running a specific comp just for Tharja.

Tharja is neutral

Lilina is -def/+spd

I'm a bit biased towards Lilina because with Julia and Linde I'll have 3 tactical nukes that cover the triangle. They are also all cute.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Tharja is also red and is faster

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do you any units that buff stats?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Arena is beginning to get pretty frustrating for me. I mean, I have 5* max Hector and Nowi, I should be able to win SOMETIMES I'd think. But I can't even consistently beat beginner matches with them.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Heaven Spacey posted:

Well, DeNA's pretty restrained with whalebait, usually; I wouldn't be surprised if each character only has one skill in particular they can transfer, and furthermore I wouldn't be all too shocked if only lower ranks of skills could transfer (So I'd only be able to stick Vantage 2 on Lyn instead of Vantage 3 after melting Lon'qu, for example). In FF Record Keeper, another DeNA game, a mechanic called record diving was implemented a while back. It opened up new skills for characters; when it was announced people were thinking about all kinds of wacky builds they could do but the reality was much tamer than that and few characters got anything that drastically changed the way you used them. After getting over my initial surprise at the announcement I genuinely don't see this going any differently.

Why do people assume DeNA had a hand making this game? When I checked the credits there was no mention of DeNA and most key staff members are from IS.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Oh yeah the 2v2 corners map is Super Bullshit 64, no arguing about that.

I've found pairing up your dancer with a strong ranged unit (Takumi :v:) will give you decent to good results in that map in most circumstances. Or maybe it's just Takumi thanks to Close Counter.

Either way you really need to make sure to bait the other side or they'll go for the easy 4v2 kill.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 24, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Kyte posted:

Why do people assume DeNA had a hand making this game? When I checked the credits there was no mention of DeNA and most key staff members are from IS.

Hard to say really.

Presumably DeNa gave advice on all the typical mobile game garbage like stamina, gachas, the content drip, etc.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I've been changing my arena defense team but don't have a single defense score yet. What should I be using? All three of my ranged 5*s are -SPD or I'd think kagero was a shoe-in.

What's the criteria to get 250+? Should I be aiming for at least/exactly 400 total rating or something? I got multiple 250+ wins last week but don't remember my team.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 25, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Lucina, Robin, Kagero, Corrin F.

People will tend to run some sword lords so running Blue is a good idea to gently caress with them. Don't run a dancer because the AI will gently caress it up, don't run a slow unit because it makes it easy to spread out the AI.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

kaschei posted:

I've been changing my arena defense team but don't have a single defense score yet. What should I be using? All three of my ranged 5*s are -SPD or I'd think kagero was a shoe-in.

What's the criteria to get 250+? Should I be aiming for at least/exactly 400 total rating or something? I got multiple 250+ wins last week but don't remember my team.

Arena defense is all about having a team that has at least one super lopsided matchup and hoping you roll that. For you I'd run Kagero over CorrinF and I switch slots so that Olivia and Kagero are slot 3 and 4 to maximize your chance at winning on the corners map. Kagero being -speed doesn't actually matter that much since 66 damage is still at bitch and a half.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Lucina, Robin, Kagero, Corrin F.

People will tend to run some sword lords so running Blue is a good idea to gently caress with them. Don't run a dancer because the AI will gently caress it up, don't run a slow unit because it makes it easy to spread out the AI.

The AI is actually okay at using dancers. The AI is pretty terrible at using debuffers like Corrin or healers though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can only win arena matches with my team comp of Seliph and three level 1 healers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
AI dancers will make the battle easier for people who understand how to face them but will just randomly wreck people who don't know how to deal with them

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

akulanization posted:

Yes a Nowi with +defense or +speed can barely survive a round of combat. Nowi's normal defense is 33 at level 40.

Nowi's base defense is 33 but she has a built in +3 defense passive putting her at 36.

kaschei posted:

Criteria for score is stats of enemy team you beat before bonus hero modifier so you need to level up your Olivia if you plan on having her stay on your arena team (Which is usually a good idea)

Honestly I'm not too stoked for the skill inheritance because it pushes the power over whales way further past F2P players considering how limited you are in pulls in FEH compared to other gacha games. We get 2 orbs a day? 1 full pull per 10 days which is pretty hideous compared to a lot of other mobile games.

Daemonlasher fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 24, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's no real rhyme or reason to it. One week I had a team get eight defense wins. The next week it got zero *shrug*

If I had to guess I think some map rotations are better for defense than others. My team seems to get wins when that dumb 2v2 split map is in like this week.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Daemonlasher posted:

Nowi's base defense is 33 but she has a built in +3 defense passive putting her at 36.

Remember that bonus heros double your arena score. I played this week with Nino/Lucina/Olivia/Narcian and Narcian basically just sits in the back and I 3v4. Worth the 600 points per round.
Criteria for score is stats of your team so you need to level up your Olivia if you plan on having her stay on your arena team (Which is usually a good idea)

Honestly I'm not too stoked for the skill inheritance because it pushes the power over whales way further past F2P players considering how limited you are in pulls in FEH compared to other gacha games. We get 2 orbs a day? 1 full pull per 10 days which is pretty hideous compared to a lot of other mobile games.

The websites that track max stats put the bonuses from skills in. Nowi's average defense in the absence of skills is 30, with the skill it is 33. If this was not the case my +res Julia would have more than 40 resistance.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

akulanization posted:

The websites that track max stats put the bonuses from skills in. Nowi's average defense in the absence of skills is 30, with the skill it is 33. If this was not the case my +res Julia would have more than 40 resistance.

Ahhh okay, That's interesting though because other than weapon, the passive skills aren't auto unlocked so I would have thought they didnt include the passives for base stats.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

acumen posted:

Skill inheritance all willy nilly would be pretty dumb and allow for some ridiculously overpowered combos like vantage-Takumi listed above.

I'm still guessing it's going to be new costumes/classes you can merge into the originals to fill empty skill slots, give you poo poo to spend sp on, and keep things more easily balanced. Being a few weeks from now would fit a timeline for the contest winner's new costumes too.

Having to consider every other character's skill choices when creating new units/skills sounds like a terrible idea for content developers.

Yeah, that sounds pretty likely, especially if you can get a three star of one of the specials as a thanks for voting thing. It also would mean that if, say, Olivia gets really nice art later, but a bad skillset, or if some awful looking later Lucina has excellent skills, you can keep using the art you like with useful skills.

Here's hoping everything doesn't get messed up forever.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The only time I get defense wins is from someone using a lovely character as their leader. Last week's three wins, someone was using Sophia, Peri, and Cherche.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lord Ephraim posted:

The only time I get defense wins is from someone using a lovely character as their leader. Last week's three wins, someone was using Sophia, Peri, and Cherche.

I'll give people defense wins if I get a arena run going that turns to poo poo. Rather than finish off a bunch of wins I just surrender to the next beginner.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ahh, what the heck. Any suggestions with these:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oof, drew a -ATK/+DEF Merric. It's a shame, he actually seems like a decent bulky mage that can help dismantle fliers.

I'm getting 20k feathers after this season finishes so waffling on who to give that too. I like Stahl but he doesn't actually gain a lot going to 5*. Other reasonable candidates are Frederick, Raven, Peri, Oboro, maybe Subaki (he's +ATK so that helps make up for it).

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Hinoka's actually pretty good, since she has 43 base attack and a brave weapon she'll take out a neutral def Takumi with as little as Hone Attack 2 to help her out; plus between the effective 51-56 attack against sword units she'll tend to make them explode too. The handful of good greens will be a problem but Caeda might be able to deal with those? I'd probably fill out the team with a dancer and your Robin since with 2 fliers you'll struggle against anyone who puts multiple Takumis in.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oof, drew a -ATK/+DEF Merric. It's a shame, he actually seems like a decent bulky mage that can help dismantle fliers.

I'm getting 20k feathers after this season finishes so waffling on who to give that too. I like Stahl but he doesn't actually gain a lot going to 5*. Other reasonable candidates are Frederick, Raven, Peri, Oboro, maybe Subaki (he's +ATK so that helps make up for it).

What are you looking for? Subaki is basically the anti-sword unit since any sword he baits in at 5* is going to do virtually 0 damage and then get doubled dead. Frederick doesn't seem that good just because there are not a lot of blues that he can really take advantage of. Raven seems more powerful than Fred but still held back by the lack of good targets. Oboro is pretty good depending on what your team wants. I just think that Peri is too fragile to make work.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 25, 2017

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

OddObserver posted:

I'd probably use Hinoka. You even have two flyers that give flyer exclusive buffs. But I think Hinoka needs a +atk buff to hit 1-shot some units like Takumi. So Caeda, Hinoka, Robin, and the last slot for either Corrin or Olivia. Just tank blue units with Hinoka instead of Fae. She'll have +10 def, +6 res and +4 spd from Caeda and Robin.

EDIT: Sharena is also an option for the last spot. It might seem heavy on the blues, but Caeda with +6 atk/spd should be able to cover against any green unit. Probably multiple green units.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 25, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Woo-hoo got frobin hard done. Thanks able alpha strike!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any reason not to be going all blue + a Takumi/Kagero right now in the meta?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

akulanization posted:

What are you looking for? Subaki is basically the anti-sword unit since any sword he baits in at 5* is going to do virtually 0 damage and then get doubled dead. Frederick doesn't seem that good just because there are not a lot of blues that he can really take advantage of. Raven seems more powerful than Fred but still held back by the lack of good targets. Oboro is pretty good depending on what your team wants. I just think that Peri is too fragile to make work.

My 'A-team' of sorts right now is Hector/RobinM/CorrinM/Roy, Serra as backup. So I don't have that many gaps right now assuming I can run everybody - a good Tiki can give me quite a bit of trouble but Robin + one of the reds can handle her at high health. A decent flier or lance unit would be good if I can fit them in, but thanks to Robin I'm not precisely hurting for blue offense.

My Peri's -HP/+ATK, so she WILL hurt (and I do have a 3* Gunter if I ever want to run that Cavalry team), but yeah, that HP/Def isn't going to win her any favours.

I'm honestly leaning towards Subaki - Pass + Roy's Shove helps to move Hector around and he does take on Lords decently, even if he is in danger of getting doubled by anything that isn't Chrom, and he's +ATK/-DEF anyway. The worry's always there that I'd draw a Catria or Hinoka and basically render him obsolete, but them's the breaks. Oboro would help the Hector turtle and she takes on Lords very well, as well as giving her -RES AoE debuff to help Robin. She's -ATK/+DEF though.

Stahl's perfectly neutral - he's mostly there just for utility, but there aren't really enough greens in the meta right now for him to shine. If I had a better spread of mages/archers maybe, but my 4* ranged units are two other Robins and a Setsuna. Frederick hits really hard (47 neutral ATK at 5*), but that SPD and RES gives me even more of a Tiki weakness. Raven's +SPD, so he can double a lot of things once he drops below 50%. Not a great fit for Swordlord meta though.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there any reason not to be going all blue + a Takumi/Kagero right now in the meta?

Pray that you never run into a Hector I guess.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 25, 2017

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

My 'A-team' of sorts right now is Hector/RobinM/CorrinM/Roy, Serra as backup. So I don't have that many gaps right now assuming I can run everybody - a good Tiki can give me quite a bit of trouble but Robin + one of the reds can handle her at high health. A decent flier or lance unit would be good if I can fit them in, but thanks to Robin I'm not precisely hurting for blue offense.

My Peri's -HP/+ATK, so she WILL hurt (and I do have a 3* Gunter if I ever want to run that Cavalry team), but yeah, that HP/Def isn't going to win her any favours.

I'm honestly leaning towards Subaki - Pass + Roy's Shove helps to move Hector around and he does take on Lords decently, even if he is in danger of getting doubled by anything that isn't Chrom, and he's +ATK/-DEF anyway. Oboro would help the Hector turtle and she takes on Lords very well, as well as giving her -RES AoE debuff to help Robin. She's -ATK/+DEF though.

Stahl's perfectly neutral - he's mostly there just for utility, but there aren't really enough greens in the meta right now for him to shine. If I had a better spread of mages/archers maybe, but my 4* ranged units are two other Robins and a Setsuna. Frederick hits really hard (47 neutral ATK at 5*), but that SPD and RES gives me even more of a Tiki weakness. Raven's +SPD, so he can double a lot of things once he drops below 50%. Not a great fit for Swordlord meta though.

Pray that you never run into a Hector I guess.

I would agree that with that team Subaki offers the most for you. He's fast enough not to get doubled by most swords, and even with -def he still has like 32 iirc. Which I think works with his Sapphire Lance to make sword units bounce off of him. And given that you have a Hector you'll get good use out of swapping him forward. With +attack he might be able to fight other lance units by taking advantage of Quick Riposte, but that's pretty niche.

And since you have a Hector I don't really think you can fit another green on your team, with red units so common in the arena I think that one green is the most any team realistically can support.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hector and Julia would be pretty hard to deal with. Hell I don't think the Kagero version of that team can deal with a Hector, and they'd also probably have some issues with Camilla/Minerva.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Is a -ATK/+SPD Tharja still usable or did I get IV screwed on both my Nino and my Tharja? :smith:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't worry about IVs unless you have two of the same weapon/movement type at 5 stars. They're not that big a deal and certainly won't prevent you from being top 10k.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

LightningSquid posted:

Is a -ATK/+SPD Tharja still usable or did I get IV screwed on both my Nino and my Tharja? :smith:

I think that's actually pretty good since you should be able to double and kill a lot of sword lords and Takumi with +speed and she's one of the easiest units to overcome any attack deficits on.

acumen posted:

I wouldn't worry about IVs unless you have two of the same weapon/movement type at 5 stars. They're not that big a deal and certainly won't prevent you from being top 10k.

Some of them turn a good matchup into a bad one or vice versa. For example, Takumi doesn't double a +speed Julia and so your bad match vs Takumi becomes one you win as long as he attacks first. Which the braindead AI will totally do.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 25, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I am detecting a theme here :)

akulanization posted:

Hinoka's actually pretty good, since she has 43 base attack and a brave weapon she'll take out a neutral def Takumi with as little as Hone Attack 2 to help her out; plus between the effective 51-56 attack against sword units she'll tend to make them explode too. The handful of good greens will be a problem but Caeda might be able to deal with those? I'd probably fill out the team with a dancer and your Robin since with 2 fliers you'll struggle against anyone who puts multiple Takumis in.

Trihugger posted:

I'd probably use Hinoka. You even have two flyers that give flyer exclusive buffs. But I think Hinoka needs a +atk buff to hit 1-shot some units like Takumi. So Caeda, Hinoka, Robin, and the last slot for either Corrin or Olivia. Just tank blue units with Hinoka instead of Fae. She'll have +10 def, +6 res and +4 spd from Caeda and Robin.

EDIT: Sharena is also an option for the last spot. It might seem heavy on the blues, but Caeda with +6 atk/spd should be able to cover against any green unit. Probably multiple green units.

Ooh. I totally forgot about the flyers-only buff, though Hinoka still needs to be grinded up to get hers. That does seem quite powerful. Hmm, maybe I will try going completely crazy and throw in Narsis for the featured character multiplier since he could also benefit..

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

akulanization posted:

I think that's actually pretty good since you should be able to double and kill a lot of sword lords and Takumi with +speed and she's one of the easiest units to overcome any attack deficits on.

Some of them turn a good matchup into a bad one or vice versa. For example, Takumi doesn't double a +speed Julia and so your bad match vs Takumi becomes one you win as long as he attacks first. Which the braindead AI will totally do.

Not everyone has four 5*. If your options are a lovely IV 5* or a good IV 4* take the 5 any day. Strong meta characters like Takumi, Robin, Lucina, etc more than make up for not ideal IVs. Seriously don't worry about this unless you're a whale and competing at high ranks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Arena is beginning to get pretty frustrating for me. I mean, I have 5* max Hector and Nowi, I should be able to win SOMETIMES I'd think. But I can't even consistently beat beginner matches with them.

Uh... to be honest that sounds like user error rather than unfair match-ups. What's the rest of your team and what do you usually lose to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I feel for you -spd buddy. I can't afford to retire him since he's my only blue 5* and is the core of my team as a result so I'm just hoping I roll him again and can just upgrade.

He's my only actual good blue too but at the same time I got lucky and rolled a few other units to center a team around that I can kinda ignore having Mrobin.