Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I will say that I replayed HZD recently, and wasn’t planning on replaying HFW because of the added combat complexity, but this thread won me over and I am now a shredder and warrior bow convert where I literally did not use those at all in my first playthrough. I actually enjoy the combat thanks to this thread’s discussion where I had put it in Story by the end the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm surprised no one farmed the slaughterspine on the south end of San Fran, it's right next to a campfire and has no friends. That was my go-to for apex hearts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grayshift posted:

I'm just getting started in the game, any general advice? I just backtracked to clean up the various firegleams in the Daunt, but the very next sidequest I took wants me to have more underwater capability to progress so I'm wondering if there's a good main quest point to run up to so I have most of the utility items to minimize future backtracking. Is ice still the element du jour?

Ice and Shock are the most powerful elements in the game, with Acid being a distant third and the rest being highly situational. If you have those three ammo types on your bars, you'll generally be fine, using the occasional blaze/plasma arrow to ignite canisters. Once you get through all the quests to collect the Three Big Things you will have all the tools necessary to unlock the blocked passageways on the map.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Did anyone use Adhesive at all? Nobody ever brings it up. I tried it out for a bit but it didn't seem to be worth the trouble. I also never used the ropecaster variant that attaches canisters to enemies, seemed interesting but rather too situational to bother with when most enemies simply already have elemental targets built into them that do the same thing if you hit them

exquisite tea posted:

If I were making Horizon 3 I’d combine the effects of Acid/Purgewater and Fire/Plasma and make the plasma explosion scale a lot better.

I like this idea, fire seemed less useful in FW overall when it was the best way to deal with glinthawks in ZD. I actually used Plasma a lot during my playthrough, not because it did a lot of damage but it was a pretty effective form of crowd control in a game with a lot of group fights but a lack of good crowd control weapons. You could pop an enemy right off the bat with a plasma timer and then run to reposition and fight the next enemy while the first one blows up and gets stunned for a bit. You could actually keep groups in a state of rotating stunlocks, it was mostly how I dealt with flying enemies. I never had any issue with waterwings because I'd just plasma them and they'd get knocked down so I could better focus on single targets.

Also the plasma explosion sounds really cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Adhesive is basically made obsolete the instant you have access to drill spikes, which do everything they do except better because now you can get critical hits and knock machines out of the sky in two lobs.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Did anyone use Adhesive at all? Nobody ever brings it up. I tried it out for a bit but it didn't seem to be worth the trouble. I also never used the ropecaster variant that attaches canisters to enemies, seemed interesting but rather too situational to bother with when most enemies simply already have elemental targets built into them that do the same thing if you hit them

I like this idea, fire seemed less useful in FW overall when it was the best way to deal with glinthawks in ZD. I actually used Plasma a lot during my playthrough, not because it did a lot of damage but it was a pretty effective form of crowd control in a game with a lot of group fights but a lack of good crowd control weapons. You could pop an enemy right off the bat with a plasma timer and then run to reposition and fight the next enemy while the first one blows up and gets stunned for a bit. You could actually keep groups in a state of rotating stunlocks, it was mostly how I dealt with flying enemies. I never had any issue with waterwings because I'd just plasma them and they'd get knocked down so I could better focus on single targets.

Also the plasma explosion sounds really cool

i tried adhesive it just barely seems to do anything except on already slow things

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
adhesive and purgewater are useful enough for their weird niche uses (slowing machines and disabling elemental attacks) but still more situational than most. slowing a stormbird, rollerback, or maybe rockbreaker (dunno, you hardly ever fight them) simplifies the fight and does so more easily than (nerfed) ropes, as does disabling scorcher or fireclaw elemental attacks. the issue is that you need top-tier fully upgraded and coiled weapons to apply them fast enough to matter, and since you won't have those til the endgame you won't make a habit of using them

since slings come with multiple ammo types and coils often boost multiple you can make them into a pretty versatile "apply whatever element now" tool, though they're limited by not having any shock or plasma options afaik. endgame i was able to trigger limits with 2-3 overdrawn shots, which pushes them into viable territory even if they consume a lot of weapon wheel space. they free you from needing to bother with elements on other weapons as much to focus on tear or agi/range/overdraw/etc. bonuses

iirc i broke out adhesive for those goddamn lunging waterwings

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
the sucky thing about adhesive is that it doesnt even slow machines down, just disables certain heavy physical moves.. which is not bad, but with knockdowns, purge, shock, smokebombs around just why? its killer against aloy though, since there are no adhesive-resistant outfits and it does restrict your moves alot. For example take the apex thunderjaw, adhesive disables its running charge attack, but doesnt even disable its oneshot neck-rearing move..

plasma at least looks cool, and spiketrapped plasma spikes do decent enough elemental impact damage against certain foes.. and plasma arrows make for good AA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwwy5n1PczU

ive tried making plasmawires work since the DoT plasmapuddles are cool but its alot of work and even in optimal conditions when you get enemies stuck long enough on top of it, damage still isnt that great. except maybe against slitherfangs with double plasma weakness and cover alot of ground surface area

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I like adhesive, as someone who is bad at video games it's nice to be able to slow down a wiggly guy so you can knock off those tiny components that disappear behind the rest of the machine by the time I've drawn my bow, and post ropecaster it's a respectable crowd control option for when I'm struggling with multiple machines at once and need to take a one out of the fight for a bit.

I wish it were on weapons that were otherwise more useful to me.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

I like adhesive, as someone who is bad at video games it's nice to be able to slow down a wiggly guy so you can knock off those tiny components that disappear behind the rest of the machine by the time I've drawn my bow, and post ropecaster it's a respectable crowd control option for when I'm struggling with multiple machines at once and need to take a one out of the fight for a bit.

I wish it were on weapons that were otherwise more useful to me.

the bonus of electric is you can shock them and then leisurely approach and blast those parts off

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Adhesive is pretty much only for beating From the Depths or whatever that fixed gear arena challenge is with the tideripper. Hated that one.

Grayshift posted:

I'm just getting started in the game, any general advice? I just backtracked to clean up the various firegleams in the Daunt, but the very next sidequest I took wants me to have more underwater capability to progress so I'm wondering if there's a good main quest point to run up to so I have most of the utility items to minimize future backtracking. Is ice still the element du jour?

The thing I noticed that I did, and still do, is not use my valor surges enough. So often I just let them hang out and struggle through fights when I have a major powerup just sitting there.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 8, 2024

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
One thing that annoys me in this game is that enemy machines are so large and wriggly that their animations routinely bug out and blend into one another, meaning they will snap from one pose to another with no warning. This is especially bad when you knock down slitherfangs, an enemy type the devs were so in love with they use them as boss fights for a huge number of quests.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

One thing that annoys me in this game is that enemy machines are so large and wriggly that their animations routinely bug out and blend into one another, meaning they will snap from one pose to another with no warning. This is especially bad when you knock down slitherfangs, an enemy type the devs were so in love with they use them as boss fights for a huge number of quests.

in some fairness slitherfangs are cool as hell

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
also is it really that many? Its like 3 quest slitherfangs and most heavyweights get at least 2 quest appearances, except poor rockbreakers and slaughterspines that only appear once. Thunderjaws, Stormbirds and Shellsnappers show up even more often.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 9, 2024

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Falukorv posted:

also is it really that many? Its like 3 quest slitherfangs and most heavyweights get at least 2 quest appearances, except poor rockbreakers and slaughterspines that only appear once. Thunderjaws, Stormbirds and Shellsnappers show up even more often.

I feel like I fought like, 2 Shellsnappers in all of the quests I did. They were definitely my least encountered heavyweight. And that's fine by me because I hate them.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
northwest of Vegas, i overrode the slitherfang and lured it to the bellowback. they started ranged fighting until the bellowback got close enough that the slitherfang hit it with its tail and it flew half a football field away.

now i need to see what other machines were never meant to meet in combat

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Falukorv posted:

I guess it depends on how you count it but Slitherfangs feel like the most frequently showcased elite machine, and rightly so because that thing was probably hella complicated to make. It's the final boss of the prologue, the final boss of Aether, the final boss of a cauldron, the final boss of the first arena challenge, and a midboss in Alva's companion quest. So if you only stick to the main story beats you'll still be fighting a lot of them. Slaughterspines by comparison only get two story boss fights (one in the DLC), Tremortusks get a midact boss fight, an arena challenge and a hunting ground, Tiderippers get an act boss fight, a cauldron fight and an arena, Shellsnappers get a couple sidequests and a salvage contract, Dreadwings get an act boss fight and an arena. Then of the elites carrying over from Zero Dawn, Thunderjaws are a midboss in Thebes and feature in a few sidequests but nothing really mandatory, Stormbirds have a few sidequest end battles, Rockbreakers and Fireclaws get like one quest each.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Tiderippers get a side quest too, fireclaws and dreadwings get 2 sidequests.

Tremortusks also appear in maybe the hardest base game sidequest too.

if youre upgrading purple and legendary weapons it does ask for alot of slitherfang parts, but imo the amount of fireclaw sacs and dreadwing nerves is more overdone.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 9, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah Fireclaw sacs are the devil even if you're dropped down to Story with easy loot. They blow up if you look at them wrong.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Falukorv posted:

Tiderippers get a side quest too, fireclaws and dreadwings get 2 sidequests.

Tremortusks also appear in maybe the hardest base game sidequest too.

if youre upgrading purple and legendary weapons it does ask for alot of slitherfang parts, but imo the amount of fireclaw sacs and dreadwing nerves is more overdone.

the upgrade material costs was probably one of my least favorite parts of the weapon/armor system next to redundant lower-tier arrows. i beat it without farming for stuff and dont have much interest in NG+ over regular NG so it will at least never be my problem anymore

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
There's a rumor going around that there's a LEGO Horizon game in development. Sounds weird.

I am not sure if I would play LEGO Horzion, but I would happily accept new models based off other machines. Building the Tallneck was fun.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Waffleopolis posted:

There's a rumor going around that there's a LEGO Horizon game in development. Sounds weird.

I am not sure if I would play LEGO Horzion, but I would happily accept new models based off other machines. Building the Tallneck was fun.

Maybe I’d actually bother getting machine parts if they were literal LEGO pieces

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I would 100% play a Horizon Lego game , my main issue is Lego games are better played co-op usually and I don't have anyone to play with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It would be an unusual choice for LEGO since they usually tend to make games for super mega IPs but I could totally see Horizon fitting into their particular brand of presentation style and humor.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
is horizon a more popular series among the younger market? i know as far as us olds it's kind of in great series nobody plays territory, but i can see it being more popular with kids--it's a flagship series on a popular platform and kids don't have as much nostalgia for older IPs

if nothing else i figure it didn't quite hit the same "lol released at the same time as elden ring/dragon's dogma" wall with kids--those aren't really designed with the same sort of accessibility features that mean a 5yo can play it without being a hardcore gamer

plus i mean surely "right giant robot dinosaurs" plays well in the younger market

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 12, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If the leaked figures from Insomniac are true then it’s Sony’s third most lucrative IP behind Spider-Man and God of War. The first two games in the series have sold some 30 million copies combined.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They made a Lego Indiana Jones game in 2008. It's a great game and I'm sure kids had a lot of fun with it, but what kid born in 1999 gave a poo poo about Indiana Jones unless their parent's made them watch the movies?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What parent to a kid born in 1999 didn't make them watch the movies, though

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'm sure the LEGO Horizon game will end up with a higher median player age than the actual Horizon games. It is what it is

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I completed a challenge tougher than any ultra-hard fight in the first game: Completing the Strike From Above hunting ground challenge in Plainsong, due to the fact that the button to deploy the glider so I can do the move needed to complete the challenge is the same as the button to grapple to the vantage posts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dr Christmas posted:

I completed a challenge tougher than any ultra-hard fight in the first game: Completing the Strike From Above hunting ground challenge in Plainsong, due to the fact that the button to deploy the glider so I can do the move needed to complete the challenge is the same as the button to grapple to the vantage posts.

On PC you can bind a separate key for this, although IIRC it isn't set by default.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

there was one that required starting with a power attack and i never got the combo to work because the power attack knocked the target out of range of followups and it would yell at me for hitting the wrong button, so like everything that annoys me, i just walked away, personally i rarely like challenge stuff in games and not for challenge reasons, like they're just an annoyance

and yeah you should be able to remap it

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

They made a Lego Indiana Jones game in 2008. It's a great game and I'm sure kids had a lot of fun with it, but what kid born in 1999 gave a poo poo about Indiana Jones unless their parent's made them watch the movies?

Someone bought it, they made a second one.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ohmygod my boy gildun is back!!! best expansion, no notes.

edit: :smith: :unsmith: :smith: :unsmith:

And Ron is no Concrete Beach Party but I do like him.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 14, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i really enjoyed the burning shore story missions but man i do wish there was more side quest content in BS. although during my replay of HZD i completed all the banuk stuff in much less time than i thought overall so maybe it really did match up in terms of how much time it consumed for me. felt like too much empty space in BS, altho a lot of the empty space in frozen north was just to plop some of those blue gem nodes down

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sloober posted:

i really enjoyed the burning shore story missions but man i do wish there was more side quest content in BS. although during my replay of HZD i completed all the banuk stuff in much less time than i thought overall so maybe it really did match up in terms of how much time it consumed for me. felt like too much empty space in BS, altho a lot of the empty space in frozen north was just to plop some of those blue gem nodes down

they arguably have the same number of side quests (if you stretch and consider the burning shores cauldron a side quest, since in frozen wilds it was part of the main quest), but the frozen wilds ones stood out way more because they were such a step above the base game in terms of design and acting

frozen yellowstone is also just way cooler of a setting than overgrown LA. i get what they were doing with verticality and underwater space in the latter, but the novelty of those wears off fast. horizon is way more fun exploring majestic natural environments than exploring abandoned skyscraper interiors

subjectively Ourea and Aratak (and Cyan i guess) were more compelling characters than Seyka and Londra, and the Banuk were more interesting than the Quen expedition. Admiral Whatshisname was pretty underused and the Quen stuff felt more like setup for Horizon 3 probably having you cross the Pacific to Quenland than the self-contained Banuk story

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 15, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Burning Shores ends up having about the same amount of Content™ as Frozen Wilds if you count all the little unmarked areas. There are some fun little gimmicks and puzzles found all over the islands that lead to some unique rewards if you do some exploring.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay, I've finished Burning Shores, and my verdict is it's cool. Spoiler tags just in case there's anyone even slower at gaming than me hanging about.

Walter was a good villain, I loved the cult angle rather than straightforward enslavement, although I did think the thing about auditioning for the role of wife was a bit far, it's the wrong kind of hosed up for Horizon, tonally, and frankly I think that's the point where the Quen would have asked questions. They've been manipulated and don't have the full celebrity culture rundown like I do, but they're not stupid. I thought the romance line was a bit spotty, sometimes they were cute and sometimes it felt very stilted, not in the intentional first love way, like they just couldn't work out how to animate and voice Aloy actually being into someone after like 150 hours of her being grumpy.

The Horus fight was much better than I expected when I realised I was going to fight a Horus. Just an excellent job of combining huge and scary with ultimately beatable, and getting inside with Walter was a nice way of ending the whole affair on a personal note.

Once I got into some better waterwing fights I ended up quite liking them as a more aggressive sunwing. The biggest problem was that so many of the fights took place on beaches where one wrong step and you're just completely powerless in the water, which isn't a fun way to get killed. Bileguts are great fun, really dense on things to aim for, really good attack patterns, and I like the little guys that are basically one shot kills but you do have to keep an eye on. On that topic, Cauldron Theta was absolutely fantastic and by far the best cauldron in the game. Being stalked by the apex bilegut who's obviously in charge was really cool, and mechanically the dropping canisters and moving platform were much more fun to play with than the extremely awkward climbing timing sequences and other bullshit from the main game. Also, it looked incredible, the glide into the core at the end was astonishing.

The spectre gauntlet seems bad. Apparently it was nerfed significantly shortly after release? The homing missiles feel cool, but actually never turned out to be better than just using hardpoints, and every time I tried the railgun I just ended up going back to hardpoints. I got a lot more use out of the other legendary stuff, the weapons and armour definitely fill in some niches that felt vacant, and they're significantly easier to upgrade which is great too. I loved the easy access to actual good coils too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deformed Church posted:

The Horus fight was much better than I expected when I realised I was going to fight a Horus. Just an excellent job of combining huge and scary with ultimately beatable, and getting inside with Walter was a nice way of ending the whole affair on a personal note.

I like to think that the reason Aloy and Seyka were able to beat it with bows and arrows is that it was operating far below its normal capabilities thanks to Walter being too dumb or arrogant to pilot it properly. If its onboard AI or someone who knew what they were doing was in charge, they wouldn't have had a prayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

I like to think that the reason Aloy and Seyka were able to beat it with bows and arrows is that it was operating far below its normal capabilities thanks to Walter being too dumb or arrogant to pilot it properly. If its onboard AI or someone who knew what they were doing was in charge, they wouldn't have had a prayer

i think being a rusted hulk that sat unmoving for a thousand years also had something to do with it operating badly, especially since old and rusted was the reason you could overheat deathbringers and corrupters in HZD and they would pop out their heat sinks for an easy weakpoint when you did, i really enjoyed the sheer spectacle of the horus fight tbqh