Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I hated the ivalice poo poo in 14 because the weird remix of the characters made no sense. Fran minus Balthier, Ashe is not only dead, but Rastler was her brother rather than her husband ( :wtc:), and the Bangaa that chases you throughout most of 12 was her bodyguard who is tore up about not being able to save her. No Basch von Ronsenburg of Dalmasca or any other notable characters.

I don't know why they bothered but at least the actual raid itself was really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ffxii was the first modern rpg to hide the truth of the hosed-up world inside item and bestiary entries

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cuttlefush posted:

just go straight through 0->1->2->3->4->5->6. the only real rough one there is 3. but it's worth it (and it has some of the better fighting gameplay once you get some skills that let you deal with the enemy blocking)

also make sure you download the patches that restore the cut songs (e.g. https://www.nexusmods.com/yakuzakiwami/mods/34/ for kiwami). this matters a lot for some of the games, like 6

this is the way. three is definitely the roughest especially if you're going into it from the kiwamis but it's all uphill from there imo

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They need to re remaster 3, unlocking the framerate screwed up the combat and they never really fixed it, theres a mod that alleviates matters tho

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Popy posted:

gambit system was cool i like being able to program my party members to do things instead of depending on lovely AI

(wish i could do this to other players in WoW)

If you like gambits you may enjoy this weird touhou fangame rpg https://store.steampowered.com/app/1533590/Three_Fairies_Hoppin_Flappin_Great_Journey/

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Dragon Age Origins also had a quite decent system of programming your party members to fight automatically, one of the reasons that its one of the few real time RPGs I managed to finish in my life

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Dragon Age Origins also had a quite decent system of programming your party members to fight automatically, one of the reasons that its one of the few real time RPGs I managed to finish in my life

inquisiton refined it to a respectably hands off experience for your companions by the end

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Finally finished playing the Link's Awakening remake for my daughter; immediately moved on to Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Rave reviews for both. I think Zelda was getting a little too grimdark for her by the end but she was on the edge of her seat for the Wind Fish's Egg and told me she couldn't wait to see what the Wind Fish looked like. (The Wind Fish actually looks super weird ofc but she did not say so lol). At any rate getting a little more cartoony with Kirby seems to be what she's in the mood for, and I'm happy to oblige her!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

Lol that they made 1:1 replacement character races for Ivalice races instead of just using them

Big angry crocodile men? No! Big angry WOLF men! Sexy bunny girls? No! Sexy CAT girls! Universally beloved moogles? No! The weird capitalist perma-children race

Ok sometimes people are right when they call you dumb. They're all in it!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ok sometimes people are right when they call you dumb. They're all in it!

We've covered this, they added that stuff years after I stopped playing, but way to be way meaner than anyone else was about it :mad:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The wolf men were after the bunny girls I'm melting down now

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
also they're more like lions

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

never forget blizz added elves to the horde and they almost overnight became the most popular race for the horde

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gumball Gumption posted:

The wolf men were after the bunny girls I'm melting down now

:dafuq: Roegadyn have been in since launch. I didn't know how else to describe them in one word. Did they add more wolfier men since then? Sorry to disrespect FFXIV lore

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Looks like they did in fact add buff lion men at some point after I quit. Not wolves, the Roegadyn kind of aren't either, but it was a drive-by shitpost and I didn't know the stakes were apparently this high.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There were wolf men in ff5 iirc so in that sense they're older

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

:dafuq: Roegadyn have been in since launch. I didn't know how else to describe them in one word. Did they add more wolfier men since then? Sorry to disrespect FFXIV lore
I had no idea you mean the roegadyn. They're just big people with prominent noses.

That said, the most important of them does have a very wolfy vibe to her, but I feel like that's literally just her.

Popy posted:

never forget blizz added elves to the horde and they almost overnight became the most popular race for the horde
you mean the horde became auxiliary forces for the blood elves

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Flames on my face

They're obviously gumby people

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Ok I'm ready to get my rear end to Mars in Xcom 94, do I need to actually bother doing missions where I train my reactions/firing accuracy up?

I have guys with all heavy plasma, nearly infinite blaster launchers/bombs, two HWP with launchers, about 2 or 3 guys with like 80 psi strength 80+ skill, am I probably good?

The main drawback with my team is that lots of them are just lovely squaddies since a lot of people did die over time, my main antifa super soldiers are the people who stay on the ship to psyduck people

I never did figure out a good way to take down snakemen bases either, I don't know how to deal with chrysallids just coming around a corner and nomming 3 guys before their turn is over

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Flames on my face

They're obviously gumby people

Sure why not

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/interesting_aIl/status/1792107693747916857

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Been playing Ghost of Tsushima on Lethal and I think we should nuke Mongolia

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol awesome

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

i've always wanted to slice some turkey while playing playstation games

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

loquacius posted:

how do you get wolfmen from this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I actually typed "fish" at first but realized they don't have scales and do have hair, remembered the phrase "sea wolves" being associated with them, and couldn't think of anything else. Will be fielding questions about this all day, lines are open

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The races of FF14 are Human, Big Human, Little Human, Giraffe Human, Cat Human, Lizard Human, Bunny Human, and Furry.

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

loquacius posted:

I actually typed "fish" at first but realized they don't have scales and do have hair, remembered the phrase "sea wolves" being associated with them, and couldn't think of anything else. Will be fielding questions about this all day, lines are open

this actually makes perfect sense for me now. i was legit confused how you could have made that leap

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
the matsuno ivalice content (pulling from both fftactics and ff12) was in both stormblood (alliance raids) and shadowbringers (field operations bozja/zadnor stuff). it was all written by matsuno and officially worked into world and history of the wider ff14 storyline. it was honestly some of my favorite content in the games but evidently the majority thought otherwise so all the dangling story threads from the end of shadowbringers were completely tied up in massive text dumps in a collectable encyclopedia thing. i just wanted matsuno to hang around and keep creating whatever he felt like, but he didnt have anything in endwalker and ive not heard of anything for dawntrail either

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
He should do more Ogre Battle content imo

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

loquacius posted:

He should do more Ogre Battle content imo

yea do something cool instead of wasting ur time on a bad mmo

Ogre Battle MMO inc

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Ok I'm ready to get my rear end to Mars in Xcom 94, do I need to actually bother doing missions where I train my reactions/firing accuracy up?

I have guys with all heavy plasma, nearly infinite blaster launchers/bombs, two HWP with launchers, about 2 or 3 guys with like 80 psi strength 80+ skill, am I probably good?

The main drawback with my team is that lots of them are just lovely squaddies since a lot of people did die over time, my main antifa super soldiers are the people who stay on the ship to psyduck people

I never did figure out a good way to take down snakemen bases either, I don't know how to deal with chrysallids just coming around a corner and nomming 3 guys before their turn is over

You're good, I've never deliberately trained reaction fire and heavy plasma auto shot can stand in for lovely firing accuracy.

Reaction fire is dangerous to rely on, you want cover and smoke, but if you're in a situation where you have to make sure the person being set up to react has as many TUs as possible, especially against chrysalids. The end game solution to dealing with them is to use flying suits and fly above them so they can't melee you.

Doing a couple missions of all squaddies probably isn't a terrible idea for the extra TUs and stamina they'd get, but of course the risk is that some would get stronger and some coming to Mars would be rookies instead. If they're useless in combat, weigh them down with bombs and rockets and grenades and have them be motion scanners

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

You're good, I've never deliberately trained reaction fire and heavy plasma auto shot can stand in for lovely firing accuracy.

Reaction fire is dangerous to rely on, you want cover and smoke, but if you're in a situation where you have to make sure the person being set up to react has as many TUs as possible, especially against chrysalids. The end game solution to dealing with them is to use flying suits and fly above them so they can't melee you.

Doing a couple missions of all squaddies probably isn't a terrible idea for the extra TUs and stamina they'd get, but of course the risk is that some would get stronger and some coming to Mars would be rookies instead. If they're useless in combat, weigh them down with bombs and rockets and grenades and have them be motion scanners

yeah that was piss easy actually with developed psi guys hooray, won on ironman veteran, I guess I'll try some mods next, not especially interested in a higher difficulty

i truly embraced the spirit of smoke for the smoke god in this game

but yeah I meant the solution for chrysalids inside bases where you can't float above the ground, wtf are you supposed to do in like a snakeman base

Stefan Prodan has issued a correction as of 23:45 on May 19, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

loquacius posted:

wait how are the roegadyns equivalent to the lizard people from Ivalice? They’re just big buff people

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

but yeah I meant the solution for chrysalids inside bases where you can't float above the ground, wtf are you supposed to do in like a snakeman base

take point with a HWP can work, save a lot of TUs on everybody for reaction fire, set up a firebase and sit there for several turns at full TUs to lure them in, just blaster bomb the entire base except the command center, there are options but chryssalids are always bastards

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

yeah that was piss easy actually with developed psi guys hooray, won on ironman veteran, I guess I'll try some mods next, not especially interested in a higher difficulty

i truly embraced the spirit of smoke for the smoke god in this game

I'm no expert in them but if you're in the mood for that but more, you can go from Ironman Veteran to Experienced or even Veteran in the big mods. They're more difficult generally yes, but you also get way more tools to deal with the difficulty and more often than not it ends up feeling about the same if not easier. The most recent one I played, Reaver's Harmony, I loved and one of the nice things is that HWPs in that are buffed so that they're actually worth bringing instead of 4 more soldiers, and they're very useful against those bastards and as scouts generally.

Chrysalids are just fuckers, is what it comes down to. Living in smoke helps in my experience but I honestly couldn't tell you if I've just been lucky or if it does keep them from seeing you from off screen where they still have enough TUs to wander over and zombify the one guy you wish they didn't. As ever it's not so much being in smoke, it's about how many tiles of smoke are between you and the target, so maybe my saturation bombing techniques with smoke are what made the difference because I decided early on to just learn to live with not being able to see anything until I'm right on top of it so I just planned around it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
my wife started drawing again a few months ago and she's def getting better at it

this is one she did the past couple of days I really like

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Stefan Prodan posted:

my wife started drawing again a few months ago and she's def getting better at it

heheheheheheheh

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

sonic corn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the gnomes in labyrinth of refrain talk with cspam punctuation confirming that they are true comrades