Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Please end capitalism.

Look I already tried that and it crushed my faith in humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Barudak posted:

Please end capitalism.

We’ll get right on that as soon as someone finds something that sucks less (without the killing of millions of people too though that’s the catch)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tnuctip posted:

We’ll get right on that as soon as someone finds something that sucks less (without the killing of millions of people too though that’s the catch)

Killing millions you say? :ussr::hf::911:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I went from working at a company making software for the military industrial complex to making software for the private equity banking world so on balance I feel like this is an improvement and eventually I'll work somewhere that is neutral in how much soul it absorbs in about 10,000 years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cacafuego posted:

My wife tells me all the time that I’m part of the problem working for big pharma. With my salary and benefits, I can’t disagree.

Try working for Really Big Swiss Pharma. I work for the family-owned one, and it's great. Against all expectations leadership seems to care about both patients and employees.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Depending on your position and the people around you, there are angles and opportunities to reduce harm and even introduce benefit. In my experience, relatively few people in most industries are complete psychopathic monsters- they're human beings subject to really strong social and financial incentives, but they can be manipulated and induced to do good things (including things that undermine the industry in the long term), especially where they can be provided with a narrative that they can tell themselves and others. The specifics of where that opportunity for improvement lies, though, is incredibly variable, and it's obviously present a lot more when you're a trusted report in C-suite meetings versus being VP number 8,000 or that schmuck who wants us to stop selling cigarettes. And there's always leaking and whistleblowing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like consulting with the public sector because I think the public sector is on balance good for society, and it lets me get paid at the same time.

I like consulting for private companies where my partner pitches “and they’re owned by the Saudi wealth fund!!!” as a positive thing a lot less.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mllaneza posted:

Try working for Really Big Swiss Pharma. I work for the family-owned one, and it's great. Against all expectations leadership seems to care about both patients and employees.

Lol

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Fourier Series posted:

A quick note of thanks to Sundae for providing your professional thoughts, for my natural disaster bag. Even though you claim that you didn't help much. But thank you.

And if you don't mind my gentle suggestion, you can consider the following whether for earthquakes or wildfires or what not. The absolute basic essentials. Don't reply to me, to avoid violating the derail rules.

^^^^^First Aid Kit and Meds

^^^^^Can Opener and Supplies

^^^^^Fire Lighters and Solar Flashlight

^^^^^Whistle for Signalling FEMA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

didnt read

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I am super proud of this thread not having a single post on this bare minimum Monday.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This was a “thank you day” for us and 3 day weekends rule even more when the kids are in school on the monday! Except one kid home with a cough, dammit.

But new kitten too

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
New guy: politely holds door open for me

Me: no no NO. Listen, we both know how this is gonna go. You're gonna stand there holding the door for me from slightly too far away while I awkwardly hurry up trying to prevent it from becoming awkward. There are no winners here. I have my badge, do yourself a favor and don't waste your-
Oh hey I caught up, thanks for holding the door for me. Cya later

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

priznat posted:

This was a “thank you day” for us and 3 day weekends rule even more when the kids are in school on the monday! Except one kid home with a cough, dammit.

But new kitten too

I'm like 90% sure that's a lynx not a housecat.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

theHUNGERian posted:

I am super proud of this thread not having a single post on this bare minimum Monday.

I was sick so couldn't go to work and post about work.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

theHUNGERian posted:

Wait, is that a special Monday or just your name for every Monday?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Zarin posted:

Wait, is that a special Monday or just your name for every Monday?

New tictoc worker trend like quiet quitting or whatever?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m doing another interview for the non-equity partner job at the other firm. I don’t think it’s the right career move for me but I may as well see it through to an offer before I make that decision.

If nothing else it’s helping me with the imposter syndrome thing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jordan7hm posted:

Speaking of this,

Figured out how to do a task by myself in 20 minutes something that my boss expected to take 4 people a few hours.

drat right I'm gonna offer to do it all myself and milk that poo poo for a few hours tomorrow morning. I'm tired, I need a work break.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m doing another interview for the non-equity partner job at the other firm. I don’t think it’s the right career move for me but I may as well see it through to an offer before I make that decision.

The interview is probably good practice regardless because when you get to that point in your current place you’ll basically have to interview for it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I have a meet and greet with the new CFO of the company I joined recently and I'm wondering how I can keep myself from responding to the "how's it going so far" with "well this is the first place I've worked where I've seen someone cry due to their workload" and "I keep getting asked to coordinate design changes on deliverable due dates and it's stressing me out" with 3 layers of bosses in the same room

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"This is a very dynamic work environment, and things are moving really fast. I have a feeling I'll learn a lot in this role."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

God drat HR how long does it take to send me a formal offer :mad:

What's quite funny though is that I can't tell if the HR person is actually in the loop on the conversation I had with the hiring MD so they seem to be coming at this as if it is from scratch, including sending a form to fill out current compensation and benefits which had a box for "expected salary" where I just put "X as discussed verbally".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah if you were talking to a PhD chances are the poor recruiter is scrambling to do all the groundwork as the PhD almost assuredly did none of it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Renegret posted:

Speaking of this,

Figured out how to do a task by myself in 20 minutes something that my boss expected to take 4 people a few hours.

drat right I'm gonna offer to do it all myself and milk that poo poo for a few hours tomorrow morning. I'm tired, I need a work break.

Every time I've changed jobs over the last decade I've realised "Oh, I'm not an imposter, there's people who genuinely don't know how to do this or have never even considered you COULD do this". I took on one job where my predecessor was manually entering call forecasts for every single fifteen minute slot in the working day for two call groups, and doing so every single week. In the space of half a day I read the relevant bits of the manual for the WFM software, determined the file format it wanted for uploads and changed the process. Something that used to take an entire afternoon took five minutes and I felt like a loving genius.

A week later of course I hosed something up and wiped a load of historic data out of the WFM system because I thought I was the cleverest boy in the world, but you know, I wiped it REALLY FAST.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Huh, my company is sending an arbitration agreement as a training document in their training system. How completely lovely of them. I didn't sign one of these when I joined 18 months ago either.

Edit, the vaccination policy allows exceptions for sincerely held religious beliefs. More poo poo.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Don't always assume that the person who came before you didn't know to do the improvement you did - they likely knew that it was inefficient but felt it wasn't in their best interest to change. Perhaps they had a nice downtime data entry afternoon while chatting or watching the TV.

They may even have already automated the process but then taken that time for more engaging pursuits.

Remember, the work will keep coming, so controlling the expected pace of work is key.

Where you do create efficiency, and then hand that over to your employer, you need to find a way to be compensated for that. Otherwise you haven't really changed anything to your benefit. (Unless you absolutely hated that particular task)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

Yeah if you were talking to a PhD chances are the poor recruiter is scrambling to do all the groundwork as the PhD almost assuredly did none of it.

Ah sorry when I say MD I meant "Managing Director".

I was legitimately sick the last two days and half of today but I haven't bothered to do anything this PM because if I'm (once the paperwork is done!) resigning anyway then might as well not stress myself too much in that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

CancerCakes posted:

Don't always assume that the person who came before you didn't know to do the improvement you did - they likely knew that it was inefficient but felt it wasn't in their best interest to change. Perhaps they had a nice downtime data entry afternoon while chatting or watching the TV.

They may even have already automated the process but then taken that time for more engaging pursuits.

Remember, the work will keep coming, so controlling the expected pace of work is key.

Where you do create efficiency, and then hand that over to your employer, you need to find a way to be compensated for that. Otherwise you haven't really changed anything to your benefit. (Unless you absolutely hated that particular task)

I used to think this too but then after working in several companies with a diverse set of coworkers it turns out that people are just dumb and lazy.

I'm taking on a new role currently and the processes I'm taking on were from a senior level guy who's been on the team for like 6 years and he's still inserting and deleting rows manually and has to go through and edit formulas every month. Doesn't even use lookups or index/match or anything for most of it. :cmon:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah but ideally you won't let on to anyone that it can actually be done near-automatically in minutes. It just sets a new and drastically higher baseline for what will be expected of you, personally. For the same salary.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CancerCakes posted:

I've definitely continued to do things the hard way because I didn't want to put the time or effort into figuring out how to make it easier. Sometimes the effort:benefit ratio just isn't worth it.

Like, my boss is really loving smart and is a rare case of a manager who knows the job better than his minions (too bad he loving sucks a manager). The thing he asked us to do was a stupid one time thing, it was an easy task to brute force and we have lots of manpower due to training new people so just this once let's just throw bodies at the problem.

While personally, I hate repetitive tasks with a passion, I don't believe for a second that this will actually be a one time thing, I expected to do most of the work myself because it's a lovely task, and I know my name is up for an out of cycle raise so I'm looking to impress. I don't believe my boss couldn't figure out how to make it easier, it just wasn't worth it for him.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have a repetitive temp task i do every week, only 10-20 lines of data I need to append some data too. It wasn't worth any further thought since it was so quick.

I just got a data set that was 30+ lines and that crossed my easy threshold. Now it's a stupid bash /grep lookup to process a file automatically each week. I'm comfortable with my choices.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but ideally you won't let on to anyone that it can actually be done near-automatically in minutes. It just sets a new and drastically higher baseline for what will be expected of you, personally. For the same salary.

I mean I get that but also I'd rather work on something at least entertaining instead of doing the bitch work of changing what rows in another sheet each cell looks at 10 billion times.

We're very much in a deadline driven position so the sooner you can get your poo poo updated the sooner it's off your plate and you can work in the priorities you want to, or browse the internet on your phone.

As far as I can tell, this guy was just working long days and sometimes the weekend to get his bare minimum deliverys done.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

SpartanIvy posted:

As far as I can tell, this guy was just working long days and sometimes the weekend to get his bare minimum deliverys done.

Work harder, not smarter.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
I knew a guy who serviced robotic pipet machines for our company. He claimed they were super complicated and negotiated that he could take the machines home and work on them, and got paid lots of extra money for the service.

When he left, the person who took it on found out the guy was lying the whole time and that it only had a few moving parts to check and o rings to change.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Renegret posted:

I've definitely continued to do things the hard way because I didn't want to put the time or effort into figuring out how to make it easier. Sometimes the effort:benefit ratio just isn't worth it.

There’s a report with tens of thousands of hard coded year values in the formulas. Updating it locks down my computer while the find:replace processes. I should really update the formulas to point to a lookup cell, but it’s only updated at the start of a new fiscal year so it can stay a problem for a future report updater to solve.

Why yes this rake has smacked me in the face two years going on three, thanks for asking.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hey thanks for joining our project kickoff. Let's go over the project plan: Step one is the project kickoff, which we are doing right now. Followed by kickoffs for each of the workstreams. And then there are deliverables in each workstream that we will not get into here. So to recap, this was the kickoff, so we've finished that. Next will be the workstream kickoffs. Thank you for staying on mute while screaming at your computer screens.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TheSpartacus posted:

I knew a guy who serviced robotic pipet machines for our company. He claimed they were super complicated and negotiated that he could take the machines home and work on them, and got paid lots of extra money for the service.

When he left, the person who took it on found out the guy was lying the whole time and that it only had a few moving parts to check and o rings to change.

that guy was a genius and his successor should have kept it going

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hey thanks for joining our project kickoff. Let's go over the project plan: Step one is the project kickoff, which we are doing right now. Followed by kickoffs for each of the workstreams. And then there are deliverables in each workstream that we will not get into here. So to recap, this was the kickoff, so we've finished that. Next will be the workstream kickoffs. Thank you for staying on mute while screaming at your computer screens.

this is every meeting at my job, i feel like it's more prevalent at european companies

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

You forgot about the workshops needed for each workstream, please make sure you attend the pre-workshop workshop to go through this.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

can’t fail if you’re always planning a deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

You forgot about the workshops needed for each workstream, please make sure you attend the pre-workshop workshop to go through this.

i see zero mention of governance, what about governance, how can you have a project without governance