Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Tom was kind enough to highlight the least likely part of that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

That could have been a really cool conversation that would give some rational insight on how the court works, a desperately needed perspective on the shadow men, and a follow-up to Mind Cage that would *maybe* justify that chapter's existence, and just maybe help Annie get some of her agency back after a pretty strong chapter finish...

But no, let's show some back alley assault instead.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cavatica posted:

That could have been a really cool conversation that would give some rational insight on how the court works, a desperately needed perspective on the shadow men, and a follow-up to Mind Cage that would *maybe* justify that chapter's existence, and just maybe help Annie get some of her agency back after a pretty strong chapter finish...

But no, let's show some back alley assault instead.

Based on the below-page comment, I think she's lying about the whole thing here as bait.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Based on the below-page comment, I think she's lying about the whole thing here as bait.
That's about the only explanation that makes sense. She has no reason to tell him this and what she's saying can't possibly be true.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

it would be super if that was the case, because otherwise this is just baffling

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oxxidation posted:

Too long for a thread title :(

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oxxidation posted:

It's kind of hard to tell given that most of us have lost faith in the storytelling.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

That would make a lot of sense, seeing as last we saw them her dad still can't talk to her.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Darth TNT posted:

I'm more surprised she decided to tell the guy she met for the first time the day before yesterday and like 3 times in total about the super secret project that could destroy the court, ie his home.

Okay, she's asking because she thought as a robot he might have seen or heard something, and she does not understand its importance. This isn't that much of a stretch.

Edit: It will be cool if it turns out to be bait.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yea, Annie sitting next to a random robot boy and chatting about the latest serious plot development with him seems to be a pretty out-of-character moment for her. It would be cool, if she knew he was Loup and the whole thing was a bait, but currently it's pretty hard to distinguish if things like that are intentional, or just bad writing. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It is weird how she keeps bringing up the stuff that is important to him for no obvious reason in a stilted way, but shes also got no reason to suspect him and if she did I cant imagine this being the way she would act so no, I dont think this is any kind of crazy bait. Just weird, awkward writing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maybe the comment below the page just means that Tony's problem with his daughter has also been resolved off camera.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does anyone else feel like the story is rushing to some conclusion?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’d need some sense of riding action to get that impression. instead it’s been the storytelling equivalent of a dial tone for months

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

how could it be, we've only just met chell, how can we have any sense of closure without wrapping up her storyline??

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

There Bias Two posted:

The below page comment reads like a completely normal Tom comment. He often posts little dry recitements of basic facts, often parroting something said in the comic, so I have no idea why you would think this is a sly hint and not just….that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Niavmai posted:

how could it be, we've only just met chell, how can we have any sense of closure without wrapping up her storyline??

We can just have Annie look directly into the camera and explain how Shell's storyline ended

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

We can just have Annie look directly into the camera and explain how Shell's storyline ended
"AND THEN THEY hosed" - done. She's got nothing going on unless you want to explore how it is she, a Shadow Man, knows jack poo poo about the Shadow Men's ideals.

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 21, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Splicer posted:

Too long for a thread title :(
Gunnerkrigg Court: this is just baffling

Tenebrais posted:

That would make a lot of sense, seeing as last we saw them her dad still can't talk to her.
This is so smart and sensical that it's the only thing giving me hope this is a fake-out and bait for Loup to out himself. Like you wouldn't legit just have her get told the bigass reveal off-screen without showing the viewer that, right? Right? :negative:

But I wouldn't bet money on it.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

the only time she's mentioned for the rest of the comic is a wedding photo sitting on someone's shelf

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Mraagvpeine posted:

It feels a bit like the last act of a CRPG.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: this is just baffling

Lol that would finally make it official that this thread has evolved into a hate thread. But I'm not objecting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

Lol that would finally make it official that this thread has evolved into a hate thread. But I'm not objecting.

I think you can be disappointed in a work and discuss and critique it without necessarily being a "hate" thread. GKC was decent for a good while and I think that's why it's frustrating that it's become what it is and why people still hold on to hope that things will get better.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I miss the comedy.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I think you can be disappointed in a work and discuss and critique it without necessarily being a "hate" thread. GKC was decent for a good while and I think that's why it's frustrating that it's become what it is and why people still hold on to hope that things will get better.

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't be here if this wasn't once one of my favorite comics, and if some part of me wasn't still hoping for it to live up to what I used to think it was.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I'd say a good 76 chapters. That's before Tom started outright speedrunning resolutions to Tic Tocs, Renard's fear of Zimmy, Annie² and Annie's relationship with Tony while also filling space with whatever the hell the second half of the previous chapter was supposed to be.

We're in the middle of 84 so even now, we've definitely still enjoyed the overwhelming majority of it all but at the same time, it shows just how much of a drop in quality it's been that the goodwill all is but dead.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

My first real break from the comic was a bit earlier. It was the total lack of fallout after a sentient boat and other robots kidnapped an entire class of children -- it didn't seem like a single adult even heard that this event happened. Which fits well enough in a teen-adventure consequence-free tone, but this was followed up immediately with the Dad's Back storyline, which was all about how real responsible concerns imposing themselves over the teen-adventure pretenses. I couldn't really resolve that contrast in my head.

(I still had a huge buffer of faith in the comic though, which kept me on board for a long time afterwards. What finally drained my goodwill was the sudden and pat resolution for Tic Tocs, yeah.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 22, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's a minor gripe but i'm getting real tired of that facial expression "jerrek" has on panel 5, it's like a bootleg version of that rick & morty floppy-lips face

e: him constantly vacillating between deliberately unassuming faces and loony-loup ones like he's Dan Backslide would be pretty amusing in better circumstances

"The Omega Device...I'll STEAL it! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 22, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I dont even remember why he cares about the thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Oxxidation posted:

it's a minor gripe but i'm getting real tired of that facial expression "jerrek" has on panel 5, it's like a bootleg version of that rick & morty floppy-lips face

e: him constantly vacillating between deliberately unassuming faces and loony-loup ones like he's Dan Backslide would be pretty amusing in better circumstances

"The Omega Device...I'll STEAL it! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!"

On a similar line, I went back to chapter 73 to check if I hadn't noticed before and it seems to be a relatively new thing but the size of Annie's ears in this chapter is all over the place. In this page and page 19 they are tiny and way too high up, then you compare it to, say, page 21 and they are more normal. I know its minor but it's driving me mental looking at it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Rohan Kishibe posted:

On a similar line, I went back to chapter 73 to check if I hadn't noticed before and it seems to be a relatively new thing but the size of Annie's ears in this chapter is all over the place. In this page and page 19 they are tiny and way too high up, then you compare it to, say, page 21 and they are more normal. I know its minor but it's driving me mental looking at it.

Well I would expect a professional manga artist to notice such things

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Annointed posted:

I miss the comedy.

I do too. I blame Loup. Fridge him and let Annie sob quietly about losing Coyote and Ysengrin. Then move onto Kat God and the uncomfortable implications it brings.

Come to think of it did Annie mourn 'yote and 'grin or was she wrapped up entirely in duplicate Annie?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Okay, she's asking because she thought as a robot he might have seen or heard something, and she does not understand its importance. This isn't that much of a stretch.

Edit: It will be cool if it turns out to be bait.

Yes, asking makes sense. But she's elaborating a lot. Why not just say "Have you heard of the Omega device? I heard some bots talking about it and I have no idea what it is."
Instead she's saying: "Have you heard of the Omega device? I heard from my dad it's super important super secret and a part of the plan of the shadowy organisation. Oh, it may have the power to destroy the court." (the way she says it could possibly also mean the court would destroy the court to keep the device safe)

It's not a massive problem or anything, just a bit weird. She's always been good at keeping secrets. :shrug:

thighlandertwo
Jan 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

She's always been good at keeping secrets.

:raise: Wasn't the whole point of Coyote's hand snappy bracelet during her forest stay was that she has a history of not keeping secrets well, and that insurance was required to make sure she didn't blab about (what turned out to be) a critical part of Coyote's plan?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

thighlandertwo posted:

:raise: Wasn't the whole point of Coyote's hand snappy bracelet during her forest stay was that she has a history of not keeping secrets well, and that insurance was required to make sure she didn't blab about (what turned out to be) a critical part of Coyote's plan?

It was insurance, but there was no indication that it was based on Annie's history (and Coyote wouldn't have known much of it anyway). She had a pretty lonely childhood and wasn't a particularly gregarious person at the time, so I don't think that would have been an issue. She's also the only person who knows about Janet and Winsbury and hasn't blabbed about that so far (that we know).

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

On the other hand, she does have a tendency to show her hand based on the type of questions she asks, especially with a lot of her Jones interactions. She's about average at keeping secrets, but she's a very curious and exploratory person.

That's why it feels plausible (to me) that she would ask Tony about the Omega device, but the suspension of disbelief drops because the last time she asked about his work he could barely talk to her about weather tracking.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I think she knows what's up and is baiting him because of how she reacted when he called Kat Kat instead of the angel. There's a very clear surprised reaction on Annie's face there, but if that's not the case then oof.

I can see this becoming one of those theories that people desperately cling to as the story goes off a cliff. "The elves were just an illusion Zimmy made! Lana was in on it the whole time! Reynard and Annie were just placating Jerrek to lure him into a false sense of security!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

worm girl posted:

I think she knows what's up and is baiting him because of how she reacted when he called Kat Kat instead of the angel. There's a very clear surprised reaction on Annie's face there, but if that's not the case then oof.

I can see this becoming one of those theories that people desperately cling to as the story goes off a cliff. "The elves were just an illusion Zimmy made! Lana was in on it the whole time! Reynard and Annie were just placating Jerrek to lure him into a false sense of security!"

I’m getting behind it nonetheless, because I didn’t even notice this but it would definitely be notable for anyone hearing it in-universe. do any of the robots refer to kat by name anymore?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

worm girl posted:

I can get behind this theory. Her statement seemed somewhat baity to me, but I couldn't put my finger on why. Plus the fact that I'm eating robocrow made me hesitant. But what the hell, I'm sure robocrow is a good source of my daily zinc and heavy metal needs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Oxxidation posted:

I’m getting behind it nonetheless, because I didn’t even notice this but it would definitely be notable for anyone hearing it in-universe. do any of the robots refer to kat by name anymore?

The biggest clue is probably here. Annie predicted exactly what Loup would do ages ago, and told her inner circle to be on the lookout for him in a Court body. She probably knows he'd try to approach her and we're shown that Annie already knew Lana when she introduces her to Loup. I don't think that implies that Lana was in on the whole thing, but Annie using her feminine wiles to entrap a lovesick Forest dog god is exactly what Surma did to Reynard.

Annie is being pretty uncharacteristically forward during the haircut scene too. A lot of people in the comments were reading that as a budding romance, but when Jack was interested in her (and during Winsbury's fake confession) she couldn't even begin to properly respond despite the fact that Zimmy saw she'd at least been thinking about Jack, so it strikes me as odd that she'd just become so casually flirty out of nowhere. Plus, we know from when the twin Annies fought the water monster that there is someone she's crushing on, and it couldn't be Jerrek because he didn't exist yet. There's also this bit where Annie learns her dad knows about Omega. That would give her enough information to bluff about it to Jerrek.

So did Lana have instructions to quiz the new NPs who showed up and try to figure out who the impostor is, and then point them out to Annie? Maybe, but the elf scene is still weird. The elves suddenly being threatening is really out of character for them if you think back to Annie in the Forest, they've always been depicted as very open and kind. Elves are many times stronger than humans and could probably have beat Jerrek's rear end unless he was cheating and using super god strength - we know from what Kat said while building her prototype muscle fibers that NPs are far weaker than robots unless they work out. Kat says this is "basically like a human body" so I would assume that's where their level of physical ability is at.

That said, even if the whole sexual menace scene was staged to bait Loup out (and I'm not sure it was), it would still be out of place in a comic that has never set itself up to deal with those themes. There's been all kinds of bad behavior, but it's usually depicted at a remove and not in such a direct and tropey way.

If I'm wrong then this chapter is just really weird in a way that hasn't been true of other chapters, even the ones making excuses for Tony.

GlyphGryph posted:

I dont even remember why he cares about the thing.

He hates the court and wants to destroy it, presumably so he can subjugate the humans and be the number one guy in town, but it might also help him figure out how to control the forest because he can't do it like Coyote did. He's also trying to figure out what Coyote's plan for him is, and Coyote told him he'd find it in the Court, so he's looking into this big secret thing everyone is talking about.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 22, 2022