Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I get that sales folks are ultimately how we profit since they're getting doctors to buy our products, but maybe they can cut their budget a bit to help other functions out.

:rubby:

Chaotic Flame posted:

Also, I'm genuinely excited for my own projects this year, which is a change from the last two years or so. What is this feeling of positivity? At work???

Check your Carbon Monoxide detector and open a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The guy who hired me for my current job died from leukemia today. :( There were plenty of times when we didn't see eye to eye on things at work, but the guy was a decent fellow outside of work and his kids are gonna be wrecked by it. Poor family.

And yeah, as the average AntiWork reddit post would say, they already know who's replacing him.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sundae posted:

The guy who hired me for my current job died from leukemia today. :( There were plenty of times when we didn't see eye to eye on things at work, but the guy was a decent fellow outside of work and his kids are gonna be wrecked by it. Poor family.

And yeah, as the average AntiWork reddit post would say, they already know who's replacing him.

:smith:

I’m way out of date what does that last part mean?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dont give your life to your job, corporate will have your desk filled by noon on the day you die.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Loel posted:

Dont give your life to your job, corporate will have your desk filled by noon on the day you die.

with current hiring practices the desk will probably be empty for months on end and every one of your coworkers will look at it and go “god drat why haven’t they hired anyone yet?”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Sounds like they aren't busy enough, we can split your former workload between em.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm supposed to be in a meeting about hiring for additional project resource on Monday, which would have been perfect timing if this written offer has come through but it won't until next week apparently ("we need to go round management to agree compensation" :rolleyes: ), which now that I think about it means I'm also likely going to have to write the job spec and inteview for my own replacement.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

champagne posting posted:

:smith:

I’m way out of date what does that last part mean?

There is a cringeworthy subreddit called AntiWork. They regularly share memes about giving your life to your job which will be filled by noon the day you die, etc, because you are a replaceable cog. It’s one of those subreddits where the intent of the forum is completely lost on the sorts of people who congregate there. Lots of posts from people who think sharing a tweet can cause a nationwide general strike, etc. Fox News got one of the founders on for an interview and he called in from a messy room in mom’s basement, etc.

This isn’t quite a fair comparison to that meme because my boss wasted away for over a year, but yeah, they already had his replacement ready at the death announcement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Anti-work has some good intent, but then they celebrate people quitting their commodified jobs instead of being let go and getting unemployment as some kind of moral victory.

It's also ground zero for creative writing. Yes this text string with someone I have named "Boss" and have absolutely no text history is 100% accurate.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Maybe the antiwork movement can grow and be less fringe. Getting people to understand you don't need to destroy your body mind and soul for work is step #1.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

Anti-work has some good intent, but then they celebrate people quitting their commodified jobs instead of being let go and getting unemployment as some kind of moral victory.

It's also ground zero for creative writing. Yes this text string with someone I have named "Boss" and have absolutely no text history is 100% accurate.

Yeah, that's my big problem with it. I saw it while browsing reddit around the time it was going broadly viral, and it's a lot of people posting loudly and doing nothing, because actually organizing your workplace or changing your relationship with work takes actual effort.

Kids these days... get a job, you slackers and then organize your workforce and behead your manager, even if it's me. Especially if it's me.

quote:

Getting people to understand you don't need to destroy your body mind and soul for work is step #1.

Not directing this at you, but more a broad statement: This is kind of a YMMV thing because of how hosed up work culture is, especially in the USA. My experience from working poo poo jobs in retail and food industry up through where I am now is that the lower on the totem pole of "worthwhile" jobs you are, the more you actually work and the shittier your job conditions are. My days were longer, my hours were worse, and my pay was far lower working in a diner than anything in my corporate career. I'm thankful that I was just a college kid doing summer work and not a 40-something supporting a family, because destroying your body, mind and soul feels like it'd be mandatory to make ends meet doing that. The woman I worked with at Sears in the men's clothing department worked three part-time jobs while her husband worked two.

It's easy for me to say "don't let work own your life" while making more in an hour than most retail workers make in a day, with benefits. It's not so easy to actually do it when you're being ground to dust by your boss and have no other options that won't be just as bad.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 10, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sundae posted:

Kids these days... get a job, you slackers and then organize your workforce and behead your manager, even if it's me. Especially if it's me.

You want me to do WHAT to your WHAT!?

"Look, I'm just here to move my career forward man. I'll do whatever you want to your head or whatever if it pays enough. Maybe we can continue this conversation over drinks?"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

"People these days don't want to work". My part of the organisation is stopping recruiting pharmacists via fellowship programmes because their expectations of progression are too fast. Experienced clinical scientists are very employable and PharmDs get experience in lots of different pharma job roles during their program which counts on paper, somewhat.

It's a double edged sword for them because the experience is paper thin and we ended up with smart people who talk a good game but don't have depth of knowledge, and get frustrated when they don't move to senior positions immediately. Fundamentally we need people to actually do the research and deliver the studies.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Had my (late) comp review following my 2 week vacation to Japan, my first for this company. 4.5% increase and annual bonus about 5 times higher than I’ve ever had :toot: >$30k

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Cacafuego posted:

Had my (late) comp review following my 2 week vacation to Japan, my first for this company. 4.5% increase and annual bonus about 5 times higher than I’ve ever had :toot: >$30k

What's your total comp? That's an amazing bonus.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

TheSpartacus posted:

What's your total comp? That's an amazing bonus.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is included in total comp? Financial stuff is base salary and bonus for this year will be ~ $180k. On top of that, there’s 4.5% 401k match plus pension, which I’m not sure what it will be this year, but last year was ~$8,500. Plus all the other non financial stuff that I don’t know how to quantify.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is included in total comp? Financial stuff is base salary and bonus for this year will be ~ $180k. On top of that, there’s 4.5% 401k match plus pension, which I’m not sure what it will be this year, but last year was ~$8,500. Plus all the other non financial stuff that I don’t know how to quantify.

That about answers it. Pretty drat good. Was mostly just looking for bonus % but overall fantastic comp.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I went looking for my last post to talk about my interview today going well (it went really well, I think… also made me actually excited for the opportunity), and I ended up reading many pages of my posts in this thread. It’s scary to have a pretty detailed written record of how I’ve been feeling at my job over the last six years.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

knox_harrington posted:

"People these days don't want to work". My part of the organisation is stopping recruiting pharmacists via fellowship programmes because their expectations of progression are too fast. Experienced clinical scientists are very employable and PharmDs get experience in lots of different pharma job roles during their program which counts on paper, somewhat.

It's a double edged sword for them because the experience is paper thin and we ended up with smart people who talk a good game but don't have depth of knowledge, and get frustrated when they don't move to senior positions immediately. Fundamentally we need people to actually do the research and deliver the studies.
If you want research to actually get done,
hire people with bachelors degrees to do research and have only one higher degree person on staff. Under no circumstances should that person be a manager. They can generate hypotheses, analyze data, and go to conferences.

But lol “the only real degree is coincidentally the one I have” pervades the industry.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My company had all its money and its LOC in SVB. Ask me anything about your company disappearing overnight and finding salvation at the bottom of a bottle of bourbon

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jordan7hm posted:

I went looking for my last post to talk about my interview today going well (it went really well, I think… also made me actually excited for the opportunity), and I ended up reading many pages of my posts in this thread. It’s scary to have a pretty detailed written record of how I’ve been feeling at my job over the last six years.

I think you and I may have PM’d a time or two before. Might PM you if you are jumping ship and would consider building a super goon team (assuming we do anything close) :unsmith: mostly kidding of course but who knows.

Things are looking shakey for the middle areas of Corporate America where I feel like I am, flyover country if you will, so it can’t hurt for me to have a backup hail mary in my pocket as well! If the layoff hammers start showing up like spy balloons.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Omne posted:

My company had all its money and its LOC in SVB. Ask me anything about your company disappearing overnight and finding salvation at the bottom of a bottle of bourbon

Wtf is LOC? Also sorry bro

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

If you want research to actually get done,
hire people with bachelors degrees to do research and have only one higher degree person on staff. Under no circumstances should that person be a manager. They can generate hypotheses, analyze data, and go to conferences.

But lol “the only real degree is coincidentally the one I have” pervades the industry.

What's the problem with manager?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I broke down and finally reached out to a recruiter. Sigh. Probably gonna have to move to keep a job my field.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010

Omne posted:

Your company got hit with the bank failure (silican valley bank) just recently announced? How does that mean your company disappeared.

loving sucks, hope you the best while you dust off the resume.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Omne posted:

please let us know what communications you receive as the FDIC takes steps to resolve the bank failure, I'm honestly curious about how this plays out for their customers

also that sucks

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tnuctip posted:

I'm guessing Lines of Credit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Man it looks like 2001 all over again in tech startup world.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eric the Mauve posted:

Man it looks like 2001 all over again in tech startup world.

Seriously. I had law firms that rep decent startups email me this afternoon asking for referrals for anyone we knew who has money in SVB. Guessing there will be a LOT of litigation out of this even if SVB survives somehow. I know of at least one company that was supposed to wire ~$5M out of SVB for a payment today. Wires failed this morning. Now they know why. This poo poo could be BAD for SV VC backed startups. Especially the seed stages whose angels and micro VCs banked with SVB.

I though I was being a worry wort spreading out money enough to be mostly FDIC covered. Guess not.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

CarForumPoster posted:

Seriously. I had law firms that rep decent startups email me this afternoon asking for referrals for anyone we knew who has money in SVB. Guessing there will be a LOT of litigation out of this even if SVB survives somehow. I know of at least one company that was supposed to wire ~$5M out of SVB for a payment today. Wires failed this morning. Now they know why. This poo poo could be BAD for SV VC backed startups. Especially the seed stages whose angels and micro VCs banked with SVB.

I though I was being a worry wort spreading out money enough to be mostly FDIC covered. Guess not.

SVB is dead and not coming back. People may get some or even all of their uninsured deposits back but the bank is dead and the FDIC is going to sell off the parts.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
As was explained to me (by an executive from my company, which I joined a month ago, which also has its money at this bank), lines of credit go away and don't come back, while actual cash stored at the bank can be recouped, at least partially. But a lot of businesses operate entirely on credit and suddenly have effectively zero dollars with which to operate and pay their employees.

I've been told that at least the next few pay periods for my company are not at risk, and everything after that is TBD.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Being a manager with no direct reports loving owns

Let's see if i can get away with another year without any

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

Nice!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

:stare:

Ok another reminder to not feel like i ever am overpaid

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tnuctip posted:

Lines of code. I don't know why you would use a bank as a depository for your source, but I can understand the need to feel like your product is safer than it actually is.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

:stare:

Ok another reminder to not feel like i ever am overpaid

Whatever your salary might be, you are not overpaid. If you were actually not profitable, you would not still have a job.

Gonna bet that Cacafuego's comp doesn't even come close to whatever his function's potential revenue is (at least as best it can be quantified for complex cross-functional stuff). The last drug I was involved in developing that went to market brings in about 3,300X my compensation annually, and my comp is hilarious bay area poo poo.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“Silicon Valley Bank, that sounds familiar…but where…”
[checks email]

Oh.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

Whatever your salary might be, you are not overpaid. If you were actually not profitable, you would not still have a job.

Gonna bet that Cacafuego's comp doesn't even come close to whatever his function's potential revenue is (at least as best it can be quantified for complex cross-functional stuff). The last drug I was involved in developing that went to market brings in about 3,300X my compensation annually, and my comp is hilarious bay area poo poo.

"Value added" makes a difference if you produce a physical product versus pure revenue.

I fall into the latter category. I assume most managers do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Am I overpaid in my mind, for the value my job delivers to the world? Yea

Am I overpaid when it comes time to argue for more salary? gently caress no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

HiroProtagonist posted:

I got told that when (or if, I'm told to expect a written offer next week) I move to newjob I "can't be a direct manager because you have to have 7 people under you to be classed as a manager, but they'll be told that they report to you in practical terms" and I am 100% happy with that. I will try my hardest to ensure i never have enough people to go over that threshold.

Also that it'll be another classic "local manager is x but you actually report to me", got to love those corporate reporting line structures!