Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I know this is a really broad question but my SO and I are looking for a super spooky film. I don't get scared by horror films at all so I enjoy them for the creative merit but it's a blast watching them with her because she freaks out at everything.

To give you an idea of some we've enjoyed recently: It Follows, The Witch, The Conjuring and related films, the good Ouija they made, Don't Breathe, Evil Dead remake.

Got Netflix UK, Amazon UK and Shudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Enjoy a nice vegan-friendly double feature of Friday the 13th and Cannibal Holocaust!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Enjoy a nice vegan-friendly double feature of Friday the 13th and Cannibal Holocaust!

Speaking of... we want to see that movie RAW which seems pretty gruesome.

I know the sitch with Cannibal Holocaust but was there animal abuse in Friday the 13th too or are you referring to something else? Been so long since I watched it. Haven't seen Cannibal Holocaust yet. Idk how into it she'd be if the animal abuse is pretty visceral, I'd still like to see it for the historical aspect.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ruddiger posted:

Also, not sure how to feel about this. I kinda wish George was directing, but I'm also kinda glad he's not since the last two Dead movies were pretty garbo.

The description of it sounds both stupid enough that I don't want to see it and stupid enough that I kind of have to see it.

George Romero posted:

There’s a scientist there doing genetic experiments, trying to make the zombies stop eating us, and he has discovered that with a little tampering, they can recall certain memory skills that enable them to drive in these races. So it’s a demolition derby with zombies at the wheels, and of course the poo poo hits the fan in other ways.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3445715/george-romero-reveals-road-dead-details/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sundowner posted:

I know the sitch with Cannibal Holocaust but was there animal abuse in Friday the 13th too or are you referring to something else? Been so long since I watched it. Haven't seen Cannibal Holocaust yet. Idk how into it she'd be if the animal abuse is pretty visceral, I'd still like to see it for the historical aspect.

There's a scene in Friday the 13th where they find a snake and hack it up with a machete, and the snake was real.

I believe there's a story from the set about the owner of the snake not being told that it was going to actually be killed for real, and he was distraught when they did it because it was his pet snake and he loved it. Could be total bullshit though.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Basebf555 posted:

There's a scene in Friday the 13th where they find a snake and hack it up with a machete, and the snake was real.

I believe there's a story from the set about the owner of the snake not being told that it was going to actually be killed for real, and he was distraught when they did it because it was his pet snake and he loved it. Could be total bullshit though.

Dang that's a sad story if true.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sundowner posted:

Cannibal Holocaust features a 2-3 minute scene of a few people killing and ripping open a turtle. It's a severely unpleasant sequence/film, and probably the most classic horror movie I would never actually recommend anyone watch. It's effective as hell, but it's also completely uneccessary.

Definitely check out Raw, though, it's pretty gruesome and intense, and vegans/vegetarians will definitely get a lot out of it. It's very good!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Cannibal Holocaust features a 2-3 minute scene of a few people killing and ripping open a turtle. It's a severely unpleasant sequence/film, and probably the most classic horror movie I would never actually recommend anyone watch. It's effective as hell, but it's also completely uneccessary.

Definitely check out Raw, though, it's pretty gruesome and intense, and vegans/vegetarians will definitely get a lot out of it. It's very good!

Noted, maybe one day I'll watch it for posterity but I've never really been interested in it because as you say it just sounds excessive.

Might give RAW a swing tonight if we can find a VOD.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

I know this is a really broad question but my SO and I are looking for a super spooky film. I don't get scared by horror films at all so I enjoy them for the creative merit but it's a blast watching them with her because she freaks out at everything.

To give you an idea of some we've enjoyed recently: It Follows, The Witch, The Conjuring and related films, the good Ouija they made, Don't Breathe, Evil Dead remake.

RAW is great. Loved it. They just added The Void to Netflix, which has been discussed in this thread a little more since. It was pretty polarizing at first, now it seems more people have seen it and enjoyed it.

Shudder: Fright Night, Demons, Demons 2, The Church, The Beyond, Ghost Watch (tell her it's real),

Amazon/Netflix: An American Werewolf in London, The Eyes of My Mother, The Burning, What We Do In the Shadows (horror/comedy), Green Room, Rosemary's Baby

I have US on all of those, so some may or may not be available.

That's enough to get you started.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sundowner posted:

Dang that's a sad story if true.

100% true. It's mentioned more than once on the documentary Camp Crystal Lake

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I said it before but the biggest problem with Cannibal Holocaust is that it's actually a good movie. If it was completely trash you could just ignore it.

Hollismason posted:

I remember them saying the snake was real in that, but nothing about the guy crying about his dead pet. I might have missed it but I was specifically listening for that stuff because of conversations in this thread.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 10, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sundowner posted:

The Last Broadcast is what I'd recommend since you are in the UK. May have more of effect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sundowner posted:

Noted, maybe one day I'll watch it for posterity but I've never really been interested in it because as you say it just sounds excessive.

Might give RAW a swing tonight if we can find a VOD.

FYI while I believe on most streaming services it is unfortunately completely uncut, several of the DVD releases of it do actually offer a cut where the scenes of animal abuse are removed but all of the other content is kept intact. The "best" of both worlds.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I said it before but the biggest problem with Cannibal Holocaust is that it's actually a good movie. If it was completely trash you could just ignore it.

I remember them saying the snake was real in that, but nothing about the guy crying about his dead pet. I might have missed it but I was specifically listening for that stuff because of conversations in this thread.

The documentary doesn't mention him crying, since they are attempting to be PC and apologies, but the book mentions it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

The documentary doesn't mention him crying, since they are attempting to be PC and apologies, but the book mentions it.

I see, that's a bummer then.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Franchescanado posted:

RAW is great. Loved it. They just added The Void to Netflix, which has been discussed in this thread a little more since. It was pretty polarizing at first, now it seems more people have seen it and enjoyed it.

Shudder: Fright Night, Demons, Demons 2, The Church, The Beyond, Ghost Watch (tell her it's real),

Amazon/Netflix: An American Werewolf in London, The Eyes of My Mother, The Burning, What We Do In the Shadows (horror/comedy), Green Room, Rosemary's Baby

I have US on all of those, so some may or may not be available.

That's enough to get you started.

I think we started The Void but it was so late my SO fell asleep so I put it off to watch later, thanks for the reminder! I also keep hyping up Green Room to her so perhaps that's due a revisit and we both quote WWDITS endlessly, can't wait for the spin-off.

Solid list, I'll see which are available for us.

Hollismason posted:

I'll give that Doc a watch one day, maybe revisit some of the movies too.

Hollismason posted:

The Last Broadcast is what I'd recommend since you are in the UK. May have more of effect.

I'm an absolute sucker for found footage and horror mockumentaries. I almost always enjoy them even if they're bad because I just enjoy the conceit... though sometimes you just have to agonize over why they're still recording.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Sundowner posted:

The Eyes of my Mother is my new Lake Mungo, in that I take every opportunity to recommend it that I can.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sundowner posted:

Oculus

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

seen't it!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah if you haven't seen Ghostwatch you should definitely put that on your watch list. It's a favorite film of the thread and just really drat good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 11, 2017

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I want to suggest The Void some more because it is probably the best horror movie I've seen in the last few months. This is mostly due to me watching terrible B-movies on Netflix. So far I've watched XX, The Windmill, Hellions, Beyond the Gates, Man Vs., The Axe Murders of Villisca, Exeter, and so many more. So if anyone wants details on anything horror on Netflix I've probably seen it. I don't know why I do this to myself because I have Amazon prime and Shudder.

Unrelated, what is that horror movie, I think Japanese, that is like a TV show but there's haunted poo poo in the background or something? A friend was explaining it to me and it sounded interesting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ghostwatch?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Nah I've seen Ghostwatch. Love Ghostwatch. He explained it to me that it was like someone channel flipping but in every commercial and variety show there was like subtle supernatural or disturbing stuff going on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That honestly sounds a bit like Noroi.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Untrustable posted:

I want to suggest The Void some more because it is probably the best horror movie I've seen in the last few months. This is mostly due to me watching terrible B-movies on Netflix. So far I've watched XX, The Windmill, Hellions, Beyond the Gates, Man Vs., The Axe Murders of Villisca, Exeter, and so many more. So if anyone wants details on anything horror on Netflix I've probably seen it. I don't know why I do this to myself because I have Amazon prime and Shudder.

Unrelated, what is that horror movie, I think Japanese, that is like a TV show but there's haunted poo poo in the background or something? A friend was explaining it to me and it sounded interesting.

Possibly The Curse

edit: ^^ yeah

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Guess I'm gonna watch Noroi then.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
WNUF Halloween Special?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

WNUF Halloween Special I've seen and found it underwhelming outside of the nostalgia factor. Gonna see if it's Noroi and eventually report back my findings.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If it's NOT Noroi I'd be extremely interested in what it actually is.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hey horror thread, I'm posting this here because y'all have seen some obscure garbage, which I'm on the hunt for

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I suddenly remembered a VHS tape I saw a couple years ago, it was a horror anthology (I think it was maybe French?) with a story about a murderous Santa, and a story about a kid hunting Dracula.

It's a low-budget DTV anthology, and it's dreadfully boring, but I need to remember what it's called. It's not the 1972 Tales from the Crypt movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is the Dracula hunted by a kid or is he the hunter of kids?

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Sundowner posted:

I'm an absolute sucker for found footage and horror mockumentaries. I almost always enjoy them even if they're bad because I just enjoy the conceit... though sometimes you just have to agonize over why they're still recording.

Check out Hell House LLC. It's on Amazon Prime, US. Might be available in UK.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I'll take you up on that offer! Have you found any diamonds in the rough? Movies you might overlook because the box art is so terrible? They don't even have to be great, as long as they have an interesting idea, and bonus points if they're Canadian.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My two cents: Exeter and XX are both way better than The Void.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I'll take you up on that offer! Have you found any diamonds in the rough? Movies you might overlook because the box art is so terrible? They don't even have to be great, as long as they have an interesting idea, and bonus points if they're Canadian.

Man Vs. I believe is Canadian or at least takes place in the Canadian wilderness. The special effects (very few) are Syfy level cheesy but if you can look past that it's a neat movie. Go in blind like I did and you should have a good time.

Exeter was an interesting movie that starts like a comedy and kind of keeps that comedic bent throughout even though it deals with some real weird poo poo. It kind of falls off at the end but worth a watch.

Hellions is Canadian but I wouldn't even begin to get into it unless your eyes are willing to suffer through a weird purple filter that covers like 3/4ths of the movie. The plot is dumb and not in a fun way. Robert Patrick is in it but I'm not so in need of Robert Patrick that this movie becomes necessary viewing by any means.

The Windmill is good for a quick slasher with a kind of interesting premise. The gore is pretty great and it moves along at a good clip. I might be biased though because I love most slashers no matter how bad.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

K. Waste posted:

The only part of XX I enjoyed were the interstitial scenes.

In fact, I can't remember a single scene from the short films proper.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

K. Waste posted:

What did you like about XX? I'm really curious because I found nothing interesting or good going on in that movie. I want your perspective on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I saw The Lair of the White Worm a long time ago and liked it. Upon watching it again now though I realize it is incredible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I loved The Void but I also liked XX more than people here seem to. The rock climbing short was pretty lame, but the rest were all pretty good and the adaptation of The Box in particular was great.

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw The Lair of the White Worm a long time ago and liked it. Upon watching it again now though I realize it is incredible.

That was my experience with Lair of the White Worm too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just an update; Noroi was very good. Now settling in for Hell House LLC.