Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Agronox posted:

lol I'm going to have to update the best bottom chart again

front month crude is below $16 now

https://twitter.com/RedboxWire/status/1252040667385098240

https://twitter.com/RedboxWire/status/1252041774144446467

Wonder if June will be below $20 by morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

laxbro posted:

Who generally loans this kind of money for LBOs?

Pensioners aren’t fully aware of what’s going on if their pension managers are getting kickbacks, bribes, or pressured into lending out pensions funds for bad investments.

The kicker is that a lot of the big equity investors in LBO funds are usually also pension funds. With Calpers they publish fund performance for their private equity investments, with Ares, Apollo and KKR showing up in there.

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/investments/asset-classes/private-equity/pep-fund-performance

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I won't carry water for most of the individuals making calls on policy, but issuing stay at home orders is the correct move here. Not because it's going to 'ensure people's safety for them', but because we are structurally incapable of treating COVID-19 patients who, with treatment, will not die; unless we have lockdowns. There is not an amount of medical treatment capacity to provide the care for preventable deaths to be prevented, without spreading out how many people are infected over a larger window of time.

If you don't like it, the way to "keep the economy open" is to invest in better hospital care and equipment availability so that we can keep farting out stupid movies and sports in the face of a global pandemic. But that's a decision you have to make multiple years out ahead of the pandemic, so, shutdowns we have.

People will demand they be undone.

And then, later, people will demand they be reinstated.

How long do you expect the entire country to be under essential house arrest before this situation comes to a head? One more month? Two months? Six months? A year? Two years?

There is no guarantee of a vaccine. There is no guarantee that the virus won't mutate into something that makes a vaccine ineffective. There is no guarantee that antibody immunity will be lasting or have any effect on future outbreaks.

Most importantly, there is no guarantee that when the lockdown measures are lifted, we won't be back exactly where we were before. Imagine how half the country is going to react when they sat inside their house, got laid off, and are financially ruined because of a lockdown that seemingly achieved loving nothing. When this whole poo poo started in NYC six weeks ago I kept asking "what is the end game with this?" I kept getting sanctimonious responses of "flatten the curve to the hospitals can keep up". Well the curve has flattened and the strain on the hospitals was much less than originally anticipated. Now what? My question still stands.

The only thing that seems certain to me is that this virus will be around for quite a long time. We all need to come to terms with this reality and figure out what the long term plan is. The current strategy of social distancing and lockdowns is not a long term plan.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The current strategy of social distancing and lockdowns is not a long term plan.

Sez u. Social distancing has made me a hero, and true heroes never stop behaving heroically.

But no, the real problem is that the only true way to solve this virus problem comes at the expense of rich peoplethe economy and republicans (or any corporate-minded force) will not stand for that poo poo one bit. At the end of the day, expect there to be a constant death-rate attributable to Coronavirus and social distancing becoming the new norm for anyone who can afford to do it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
If we'd actually had a real loving lockdown instead of this half assed flatten the curve poo poo, maybe we could have actually reduced new cases close to zero in the past four weeks. Then with comprehensive regular testing maybe we had a chance of staying on top of it.

Instead, if I go to the grocery store tomorrow, I probably have a higher chance of catching it than I did a month ago.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
While we're waiting for Monday to tell us the future, here's a twitter thread about the past.
https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1251936242834563073

In short: things can get very, very weird.

I don't think we're "going back to normal" because I don't think there is a normal to go back to. Like, what is the normal? Trump and wild populism? The longest bull market in history? The biggest real estate crisis in history? The war on terror? The Internet bubble? This unprecedented event is one in a long series of unprecedented events on a planet careening through climate change. Things are going to keep changing.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Oil is dying ya'll

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

wanted to load the boat @ Oil 15... getting the mump truck ready here but prolly gonna ease in slowly here @ the open :tinfoil:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
$0 wti here we go

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hit Man posted:

Oil is dying ya'll

:yeshaha:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I wanted to bet $9.99 oil but I couldn’t. It would’ve been the second lowest one :(

We are down to the last 10 people for the oil game.

Lote fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 20, 2020

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Lote posted:

I wanted to bet $9.99 oil but I couldn’t. It would’ve been the second lowest one :(

We are down to the last 10 people for the oil game.

I thought I was being ridiculous when I guessed $14...

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Jack Daniels posted:

wanted to load the boat @ Oil 15... getting the mump truck ready here but prolly gonna ease in slowly here @ the open :tinfoil:

Why wasn't I short when it WTI May was 18? It fell off a cliff and climbed back out

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

All that's left in the May contract are people trying desperately to avoid delivery, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

saintonan posted:

All that's left in the May contract are people trying desperately to avoid delivery, right?
Yeah the May contract expires on Tuesday.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

saintonan posted:

yeah lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GamingHyena posted:

"Reopening the economy" is such a red herring because a V shaped recovery simply isn't possible at this point. While COVID may have caused the initial economic downturn, we are now facing a recession fed by both the pandemic as well as traditional economic reasons (high employment, lower consumer spending). Even if you could wish away the coronavirus tomorrow, you are still left with tens of millions of people out of work and millions more concerned about losing their jobs. These people aren't going to be filling up movie theaters and hotels because they simply don't have the extra money to spend.

As of December 2019, 45% of Americans reported having NO savings. 24% of people reported having less than $1,000 in savings. Roughly 80% of Americans surveyed had less than $10,000 in savings. And obviously that was before the pandemic. We've hollowed the middle class out so thoroughly that after depriving so many people of 4 or 5 weeks of salary they're in no position to start spending again even if they wanted to.

It really doesn't matter what governors do or don't do at this point - no amount of "reopening" will save the economy. You can't force scared people to go shopping and the few that will can't spend money they don't have. Likewise, no rational business is going to expand their workforce if there's no demand. The obvious answer is to either the government creates jobs (Newer Deal) or creates demand through even a temporary UBI to allow people the means to survive.
Does this sound about right? Is the V-shape a fantasy?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you just need to zoom out to 10-20 years, then sure itll look like a v

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The CEO of Wynn called for the Vegas strip to open in mid/late May. I believe CZR and MGM have the largest exposure to the strip.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, but just because they reopen it doesn't mean people will come rushing, so I wouldn't expect much.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Reopen the minimal amount to get the table rakes going again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I believe very firmly that the american populace, once told they can go do **thing** will rush out and do it with almost no thought for their own wellbeing at all. I believe that this will inevitably result in a terrible second outbreak and after that people will be much more cautious and suspicious of official calls for them to return to normalcy but for right now americans really want to believe that this will be over soon and I have no confidence that your average person is suddenly going to show a high degree of critical thought and cynicism when faced with being told they are allowed to do something they really want to do.

Given that I'd honestly much rather we all do the responsible thing and kick this virus once and for all I'm really hoping to be wrong on this one but this is what my gut is telling me to expect. Irrational exuberance and then another crash founded in terror at a curve that we watch cease to flatten in real time and general panic selling as a result.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Grouchio posted:

V shape is a fantasy, but I don't think people are nearly as financially 'ruined' as the author said.

quote:

We've hollowed the middle class out so thoroughly that after depriving so many people of 4 or 5 weeks of salary they're in no position to start spending again even if they wanted to.

It really doesn't matter what governors do or don't do at this point - no amount of "reopening" will save the economy. You can't force scared people to go shopping and the few that will can't spend money they don't have. Likewise, no rational business is going to expand their workforce if there's no demand. The obvious answer is to either the government creates jobs (Newer Deal) or creates demand through even a temporary UBI to allow people the means to survive.

The whole "4-5 weeks of no salary thing" completely ignores the stimulus and subsequent (relatively) huge bump in UI insurance, that's running for at least the next 90 days. Define middle class? A large majority of people on UI will be getting roughly 250-300 base + $600/week, which is likely more than a lot of them were making before the outbreak. As he states it, we've 'hollowed them out' which may be true pre-Covid19, but in California if you had average income before the crisis, you're getting $450+$600/week in UI bennies, of which the $600 is tax free, and that's huge. A couple in California making max bennies is getting $8200/mo right now (with about $180 each withheld in taxes) to stay at home and not spend any money, anywhere (other than takeout, basically, and maybe toilet paper if they didn't get a bidet).

Car insurance companies are kicking back 25% plus to their clients, student loan payments are deferred through October, and a lot of other payments (car, mortgage, rent) are being negotiated and kicked down the road, in most cases, interest free.

Purely anecdotal, but I went to pick up takeout this evening and chatted with the owner who said that they have been swamped since this week, after being completely dead the first few weeks. He said when the enhanced UI and stimulus started coming through (last Sunday) they got busier and are making more money just in takeout (because there's way less overhead) that he's trying to see how he can go about hiring more cooks because while he didn't lay any off, he's thinking he's going to need more help in the next few weeks.

The additional UI money is acting as a UBI right now, and to blanket pay it out across all 50 states where the cost of living isn't nearly the same as in California, there are undoubtedly people that are in better financial shape right now than they were only a month ago, and I'd guess getting significantly better as we go forward.

Demand is absolutely going to be a coiled spring, and there's more talk of more stimulus daily, with the recent $2k/mo proposal making waves from the same people in California that got to work on the $1200 stimulus.

I don't think there's going to be a lack of $$ waiting to be spent, in fact I think the hardest thing is the discussion as to how to end the enhanced UI eventually without raising the minimum wage to $15 after so many people have gotten used to getting quite a bit more money than they were used to. Good luck with that!

reignofevil posted:

I believe very firmly that the american populace, once told they can go do **thing** will rush out and do it with almost no thought for their own wellbeing at all. I believe that this will inevitably result in a terrible second outbreak and after that people will be much more cautious and suspicious of official calls for them to return to normalcy but for right now americans really want to believe that this will be over soon and I have no confidence that your average person is suddenly going to show a high degree of critical thought and cynicism when faced with being told they are allowed to do something they really want to do.

Also this, especially because they'll be funded enough to do it.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 20, 2020

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

^^^ I think that’s an incredibly rosy picture (to the point I had to read your post twice to make sure you weren’t posting ironically), and definitely does not fit what I’m seeing, which is devastation across the board.

Consider the fact that a lot of states are already starting to run out of unemployment funds because they never had to plan for so many people applying all at once. After they run out, then what? We will get another stimulus from Congress, yes. After that, nobody knows.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Consider the fact that a lot of states are already starting to run out of unemployment funds because they never had to plan for so many people applying all at once. After they run out, then what?

money printer go brrrr

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

^^^ I think that’s an incredibly rosy picture (to the point I had to read your post twice to make sure you weren’t posting ironically), and definitely does not fit what I’m seeing, which is devastation across the board.

Consider the fact that a lot of states are already starting to run out of unemployment funds because they never had to plan for so many people applying all at once. After they run out, then what? We will get another stimulus from Congress, yes. After that, nobody knows.

I don't think it's going to be all perfect by any means, but I think that at the same time, the widespread doom and gloom scenario just doesn't jive either. You're right, I'm being overly rosy, but I also think that there's something to be said for analyzing it from a different angle other than "well, everything's going to hell". I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as most seem to think it is, but at the same time I definitely don't think it's going to be wonderful, either.

UI funds are kicked from feds once states are depleted, aren't they? I wouldn't really worry too much about the cash spigot ever running dry. We've got plenty of examples that that won't be the case.

shame on an IGA posted:

money printer go brrrr

exactly.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Grouchio posted:

For the real economy I think it's far too optimistic. However the share market could easily be a V shaped recovery because with the low interest rates people have nowhere else to put their money that earns any kind of return. There's a lot of people who depend on passive income to get by so they'll be piling back in at the first sniff of good new .

There's been far too much money lost for a quick recovery. Heaps of significant business investment that was in the pipeline has been shelved because of a lack of cash (major expansions, building developments etc) and that means a heap of work for a bunch of people no longer exists.

The consumer confidence thing has been touched on. I think it's OK while the various UI schemes are still in play but governments are going to start tapering those off at some stage and if the economy can't support the same level of employment as it did beforehand there will be big problems with spending. You probably have a significant number of people who are still employed but have taken a decent pay cut to stay that way, which also impacts consumer spending.

It's probably worth pointing out that while some businesses might be doing ok, there's a whole lot that just got shut down completely and a large number of those will not re-open. This is not in the US (:australia:) but I'm hearing that there's a lot of small businesses that can't qualify for most of the support packages on offer and are burning through their free cash at a rate that they'll be insolvent soon. Those guys won't have the cash on hand to re-start even if they wanted to.

Tourism is a significant contributor to global income and it's going to be out of action until we see some sort of immunity emerge, either a vaccine or enough people catch it. Australia is on the path to eradicating the virus so I can't see us opening the borders to anyone from the plaguelands until they're all vaccinated. Domestic tourism might fill some of that void but it won't completely replace the money bought in by international tourism.

That is without touching on the uncertainty around future geopolitical issues that arise out of this and the potential for unwinding globalisation to some extent.

Anyway, the ASX has had a few down days in the last week (down 2.5% or so today) so even though we tend to follow the lead of the US market it suggests to me there's a bit of negative sentiment starting to set in as people realise this isn't going to be as straightforward as they had initially thought.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

money printer go brrrr

You're assuming Trump won't use federal UI funding as leverage over states to get them to re-open

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

You're assuming Trump won't use federal UI funding as leverage over states to get them to re-open

25th amendment, go!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

money printer go brrrr in red states

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
People have just started talking about all this money as if there is no concern or consideration to what creating money to prop up a completely dead economy even means for the fiat philosophy. Its just like “well everyones gonna have money, maybe more money than before, and theyre not even gonna be working or producing anything so lets just fuckin rally i guess” 09 worked because the money stayed out of general circulation and was essentially a magic trick performed on bank balance sheets... what does it mean to print and start passing out a trillion+ dollars to consumers? How far can this system be pushed before it breaks? Id certainly be focusing on hard assets going into this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

greasyhands posted:

what does it mean to print and start passing out a trillion+ dollars to consumers? How far can this system be pushed before it breaks?
Is that even what (the feds) are doing right now?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

greasyhands posted:

People have just started talking about all this money as if there is no concern or consideration to what creating money to prop up a completely dead economy even means for the fiat philosophy. Its just like “well everyones gonna have money, maybe more money than before, and theyre not even gonna be working or producing anything so lets just fuckin rally i guess” 09 worked because the money stayed out of general circulation and was essentially a magic trick performed on bank balance sheets... what does it mean to print and start passing out a trillion+ dollars to consumers? How far can this system be pushed before it breaks? Id certainly be focusing on hard assets going into this.

Effectively shareholder dillution of the US dollar which would be worst for ...*checks notes* debt owners and the hyperwealthy. I'm down.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

Effectively shareholder dillution of the US dollar which would be worst for ...*checks notes* debt owners and the hyperwealthy. I'm down.

hahaha :respek:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Grouchio posted:

Is that even what (the feds) are doing right now?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-stimulus-package-pay-united-states/

Thats a pretty straightforward FAQ about this whole thing. Some people use the term “printing” to mena both the physical act of printing and also creating “dollar credits” on a balance sheet... because, i dunno, i guess its reasonable to say if a dollar is on a balance sheet it must exist, even if it was never physically printed. Youll have to form your own opinion on that little nuance, i guess

shame on an IGA posted:

The fed is buying up corporate bonds and high yield debt on the secondary market... the hyperwealthy are once again having their failed risk taking absorbed by the public system, so im not sure where your wishful thinking comes from. The fed buying poo poo tier bonds that are going to default is significantly different than it buying us treasuries and playing hide the salami with the money supply

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 20, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Generally, the Fed's money (or any tax break) that goes to rich people does not really affect inflation rates or help the economy, but sometimes affects the dollar's performance (alongside a billion other things). The Fed's money printer will never affect you directly outside of interest rates and other people speculating on what Fed movement means for the markets.

Until they start buying lots and lots of stocks!

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I just spent a shitload of money on smallcap inverse leveraged ETFs so bqhatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lol i thought 16.69 was a comedy answer for oil, and I'm out!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Australia's second largest airline, Virgin, just entered voluntary administration which I think is roughly the equivalent of a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in the US.
https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/virgin-australia-set-for-voluntary-administration-20200420-p54lcd.html

It probably won't have much direct impact on anything outside of Australia but it's starting to feel like this thing is starting to bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

jokes posted:

Generally, the Fed's money (or any tax break) that goes to rich people does not really affect inflation rates or help the economy, but sometimes affects the dollar's performance (alongside a billion other things). The Fed's money printer will never affect you directly outside of interest rates and other people speculating on what Fed movement means for the markets.

Until they start buying lots and lots of stocks!

Its simply remarkable that you can will yourself to believe this with a sample size of 1 (2009 and the QE that followed). 09 was significantly different in that most of the money was specifically designed to *not* make it into general circulation, whereas this time the opposite is true.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 20, 2020