Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FCKGW posted:

i wasn’t talking to you dipshit so shut the gently caress up

Lincoln posted:

New thread title!

Yeast posted:

To get this thread back on the tracks, I have a question about my 16" Pro -

I tether a Nikon Z9 to it on location and I've got a strange issue where it will only keep the connection on this specific USB port.

If I use the other ports, the connection essentially disconnects and reconnects on a loop. I've tried it with different cables, and when the Mac is both on battery, or connected with MagSafe.

Weirdly, it seems that its more 'stable' when its fully charged. When its charging it seems to be a little flakier.

On the camera side its setup to only transfer data, and USB charging is disabled.

Any ideas from people more technical than I?

i wonder if there's any kind of extra chip on one side vs the other, or if you legit have a defect (or it's a bug, somehow, but that seems weird). wonder if bobhoward has any idea wrt the usb chip layouts. i assume the controllers are on the soc but i never presume with usb wackiness

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeast posted:

I tether a Nikon Z9 to it on location and I've got a strange issue where it will only keep the connection on this specific USB port.

If I use the other ports, the connection essentially disconnects and reconnects on a loop. I've tried it with different cables, and when the Mac is both on battery, or connected with MagSafe.

Weirdly, it seems that its more 'stable' when its fully charged. When its charging it seems to be a little flakier.

On the camera side its setup to only transfer data, and USB charging is disabled.

have you talked to Apple about it? Nikon user forums/support? That sounds like a legit problem

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

this thread is super defensive about even the mildest criticism. i expressed frustration that for all the theoretical performance you get from apple's gpus there is no real practical use for that performance outside of video editing and people flipped the gently caress out

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

this thread is super defensive about even the mildest criticism. i expressed frustration that for all the theoretical performance you get from apple's gpus there is no real practical use for that performance outside of video editing and people flipped the gently caress out

there’s a couple people in this thread that really embody the whole Apple Kool Aid Drinker stereotype and it would be fine if they weren’t so loving arrogant and aggressive about it

this is not your yuppie brandwhore safe space

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

in the meantime, has anyone got experience daisychaining thunderbolt 4 output to hdmi input? wanna see if I can't do some fancy science on another monitor I have
Like computer -> TB display -> HDMI display?

In theory I feel like that should work, but I might just be thinking of how you can daisy chain displays through random TB peripherals. I don't know if TB displays would be different in that regard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

personally i’d much rather have the alienware qd oled monitor if i’m lying that much because i personally don’t think paying extra for a mediocre cam is worth it and i have way better speakers

or

if i’m being honest the lg dualup because i have a soft spot for loving weird displays

i just think you’re a terrible fuckin poster

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

personally i’d much rather have the alienware qd oled monitor if i’m lying that much because i personally don’t think paying extra for a mediocre cam is worth it and i have way better speakers

or

if i’m being honest the lg dualup because i have a soft spot for loving weird displays

i just think you’re a terrible fuckin poster

okay

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

Throughout my entire life, this has always been a thing that plagued Apple users and I’m not sure *why* necessarily.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it's just the bad posting.

but also aren't the gpus real good at some ML? like that was a whole thing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

it's just the bad posting.

in specific scenarios

in terms of running the nvidia standardized stuff around which tons of the industry has coalesced, not at the moment. i'm sure things can be done with them, but what, when? well

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Lady Radia posted:

no they are worthless for training

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

well that blows :smith:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I agree with ok comboomer and think it’s not a very good deal.
that said: gently caress that’s some bad posting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/appleinsider/status/1508198597640212486?s=20&t=_TSRVohU6_F5-L7CsLsclw

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

LODGE NORTH posted:

Throughout my entire life, this has always been a thing that plagued Apple users and I’m not sure *why* necessarily.

I wonder if there's enough of us non-Apple-cult posters to give a "no love for Apple" Apple thread a chance.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

anothergod posted:

I wonder if there's enough of us non-Apple-cult posters to give a "no love for Apple" Apple thread a chance.

no, eww. That would be worse than what we have here

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The android thread already exists? :confused:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

anothergod posted:

yospos,

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

no, eww. That would be worse than what we have here

Lol what was your goal ragging on the Studio Display so hard about then?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

anothergod posted:

Lol what was your goal ragging on the Studio Display so hard about then?

not to start another thread, clearly.

Like, Apple’s been making some really good value products recently. The M1 lineup is mostly insane value for money, especially at the very low end with stuff like the MBA and Mini trouncing i7 systems from a couple years ago.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ok Comboomer posted:

not to start another thread, clearly.

Like, Apple’s been making some really good value products recently. The M1 lineup is mostly insane value for money, especially at the very low end with stuff like the MBA and Mini trouncing i7 systems from a couple years ago.

Studio Display is a pretty good value imho

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Is there any Android emulators that work on M1 Max? Sometimes I want to play an Android clicky game but don't have an Android. I used to use Bluestacks but it's not available for the M1 Max yet.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Yeast posted:

I can't remember which models specifically, but i'm prettysure there were some USB ports on older Macbooks (maybe the left side near the magsafe port) that received slightly more power. Maybe that's what's going on with your newer Macbook? The port further away from the Magsafe port gets a little more juice? Definitely doesn't really make sense, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I finally got my triple-monitor KVM setup working and successfully switching between my Windows gaming rig and my M1Max MBP. The MBP has replaced my old, faithful trashcan Mac Pro and I am immediately noticing how much of a difference the new computer makes even though it's a laptop.

For anyone curious about my setup, the dock I'm using is a Dell M3HVW, which I got at a very steep discount. It works great, although since Apple doesn't implement DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport it can only drive two of my monitors so I need to use the MBP's HDMI port for the third. The KVM I'm using is this Chinese one, which is sold under at least four different brand names depending on what site you're looking on. It's all connected to a 1440p main monitor and a couple 1080p ones on the side. Both the KVM and the dock claim they can support bigger displays but I'm happy with what I've got for now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If anyone is looking for a really nice productivity monitor in the apple studio price range, I highly recommend the U4021QW. It’s incredible and has a wonderful KVM setup including ethernet etc built in.

It also has Thunderbolt so it will connect to your MBP as a second monitor and charge it too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hundreds of new posts? Did Russia invade Cupertino? :haw:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SourKraut posted:

Hundreds of new posts? Did Russia invade Cupertino? :haw:

Nope just a troll who won’t shut the gently caress up because they can’t see not all use cases are the same and some users value different things.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Maybe antagonizing someone you consider a troll is a bad way to move on from the conversation therein.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

Maybe antagonizing someone you consider a troll is a bad way to move on from the conversation therein.

I mean I reported a bunch of the posts that were both low effort and just posting about posters but guess the mods don’t give a poo poo.

In related news, I’m a little surprised the rumors point to an in person WWDC.

Just release the new colored airs please.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i didnt know i was such a bitch for colored aluminum, but here i am

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LionArcher posted:

Nope just a troll who won’t shut the gently caress up because they can’t see not all use cases are the same and some users value different things.

Eh, I wouldn't call Ok Comboomer a troll, just very passionate.

I can't bemoan anyone wanting an Apple Studio Display though, if it suits their use case or even if they just want an Apple-branded/developed display. I'm guilty of far worse things, like equipping my 2018 Mac Mini with an eGPU just because I can, lol.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

LionArcher posted:

Was there untruth in what anyone brought up as counterarguments to buying the display in question? I've yet to see any reasonable refutation of that product being overpriced.

Like I said earlier though, no reason to couch things in anything but honesty

Comboomer said as much too, though differently

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
No, his general arguments are fine. It’s that he is taking his self-stated disappointment with the product and projecting it into saying that anyone that likes it is a lesser being, constantly. Passion doesn’t give you permission to be a dick about it.

The conversation basically went him stating reasonable issues with the monitor and that it was overpriced, some other folks saying they felt there were a couple features that you can’t find elsewhere that make it worth it for them, and him going “lol dumbass yeah just keep begging apple for that slop.”

Riven fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 28, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Riven posted:

No, his general arguments are fine. It’s that he is taking his self-stated disappointment with the product and projecting it into saying that anyone that likes it is a lesser being, constantly. Passion doesn’t give you permission to be a dick about it.

dude I only really started clapping back at people when the consensus became “no this is actually a good deal, you’re just too ignorant and philistine to see that properly”

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Edit: I wanted to point out the ridiculous karen-ing in this thread, but now I regret participating in this at all and want to delete. Um... Very unsure how to maneuver that one.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 28, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Mercury posted:

Was there untruth in what anyone brought up as counterarguments to buying the display in question? I've yet to see any reasonable refutation of that product being overpriced.

Like I said earlier though, no reason to couch things in anything but honesty

Comboomer said as much too, though differently

If you want a display that is housed in a very nice frame, looks great (on a desk) works well with macs, (sleep works well, port works well, and so on) and has true 5k, this is a good monitor to pick up.

If you don’t care about those things, don’t worry, here’s a long list of monitors that are less expensive that are good at 4K.

The disconnect is that Boomer wouldn’t shut the gently caress up about always calling it overpriced, like it was a fact. It never was. It has a set of features many in this thread value. There were plenty in this thread that didn’t. Both opinions (buy what you want) are fine. But demanding that their opinion was right when there wasn’t a right answer for everyone, (it’s user and use case dependent!) is a weird rear end the thing that is also still be defended even now.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 28, 2022

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I hope the next gen of Macbook Airs has an M1 chip in it rather than an M2 so I can feel better about my 14" MBP for longer :)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think the problem is that the LG Ultrafine anchors the price when the LG monitor was already too expensive. If the LG had been cheap(er) and the studio display was like $1,200 or something people would probably still say "wow that's kind of expensive for a monitor" but it would feel less bad, and it would still be kind of expensive but mostly reasonable compared to a lot of other options that also have compromises for what they are.
Also it seems like the price must have a lot to do with how uncommon the panels are? Like the whole issue comes down to "nobody makes 5k 27" monitors" and that sort of leads to "there isn't much demand for the panels themselves" and then "so nobody's bothered developing processes for making them efficiently."

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Oh tell me about it. At my last job I had both sizes of LG, i had the 27” 5k as the main one, and the 24” 4k as a vertical one for terminals and stuff.

When I left the job I thought about buying my own set, took one look at the price and was like noooooope.

I really miss that small 4k one. Nobody even makes a 1440 24” monitor. But I don’t $700 miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Riven posted:

Oh tell me about it. At my last job I had both sizes of LG, i had the 27” 5k as the main one, and the 24” 4k as a vertical one for terminals and stuff.

When I left the job I thought about buying my own set, took one look at the price and was like noooooope.

I really miss that small 4k one. Nobody even makes a 1440 24” monitor. But I don’t $700 miss it.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/sh851-series-23-8-ls24h851qfnxza/

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/sh850-series-24--ls24h850qfnxza/

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/32--s60ua-qhd-high-resolution-monitor-with-usb-type-c-ls32a600uunxgo/

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/32-qhd-monitor-with-hdr-support-ls32a600nwnxgo/

the last two might say 32” at the top of the page but they come in 24” if you scroll down a tiny bit