Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's really nice having a fight where there's shrewdness and cleverness being used instead of just punch harder.

The fight having an actual objective that will presumably actually accomplish something rather than "idk punch him for an indefinite amount of time until he finishes dying from the rewind drug" helps a whole lot to make it a bit more interesting, though it feels very weird to have all the OfA ghosts suddenly start crowing about how Deku is a surprisingly technical fighter who uses the quirks in unexpected ways and is also suicidally selfless, given that they've been with him for quite a while now and he pretty much constantly displays those two traits in every fight. Hell, he literally used a trick from the Nagant fight and they specifically called it out, it shouldn't be surprising to these dudes at this point. It's like peanut gallery filler commentary.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm baffled by the Smokescreen guy insisting his Quirk is the least useful last chapter when, no? Why would you think?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm baffled by the Smokescreen guy insisting his Quirk is the least useful last chapter when, no? Why would you think?

He thinks it's useless because Shigaraki has Search, which can see through it, which is why Deku comes up with a countermeasure.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

"My quirk is useless!"

That kind of thinking is why he's dead.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Kanos posted:

He thinks it's useless because Shigaraki has Search, which can see through it, which is why Deku comes up with a countermeasure.

Having danger sense helps him a lot here, as well.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Gotta admit I find the idea of Deku giving up OFA to be a downer

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

I don't, it's very appropriate. Becoming the greatest hero should require some sacrifice, not just the ability to Punch Good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mymla posted:

I don't, it's very appropriate. Becoming the greatest hero should require some sacrifice, not just the ability to Punch Good.

I also find it to be a downer (approvingly)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

tbh I kinda expected it ever since the whole idea of Quirks being force ghosts with their own agency that can rebel against who stole them came up. I guess it’s a downer but someone like Deku who loves analyzing quirks so much could honestly do the world more good by becoming a support equipment maker anyway.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

'Course, given the state of his body currently, methinks he's not going to be doing any heroing at the end

Maybe he becomes a teacher that serves as a warning not to recklessly use your quirk

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Deku should become Mei's ideas guy.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mymla posted:

Deku should become Mei's ideas guy.

My Hero Middle Management

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

he's gonna end up left with one, probably blackwhip which is very obviously horikoshi's favorite and which he already has used for a form of pseudo super strength. that cleanly resolves the "more than one quirk is maybe bad for your body" non-issue to boot.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 20, 2024

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Valentin posted:

he's gonna end up left with one, probably blackwhip which is very obviously horikoshi's favorite and which he already has used for a form of pseudo super strength. that cleanly resolves the "more than one quirk is maybe bad for your body" non-issue to boot.

Yeah this is where I'm at. Turn Deku into just Spider-Man instead of all the heroes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

cool kids inc. posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at. Turn Deku into just Spider-Man instead of all the heroes.

But he lost his Spider-sense.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He could end up being the tech type hero from his original design.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

'Course, given the state of his body currently, methinks he's not going to be doing any heroing at the end

Maybe he becomes a teacher that serves as a warning not to recklessly use your quirk

Forever following in the footsteps of All Might.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Elite posted:

Forever following in the footsteps of All Might.

In that both of them are are an example of how not destroying yourself would have resulted in the collapse of society

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It would've taken Goku 3 seasons to beat All 4 One

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eggplant Squire posted:

In that both of them are are an example of how not destroying yourself would have resulted in the collapse of society

It's really funny how the attempted moral of "maybe turning yourself into superhero jesus and singlehandedly becoming the pillar on which society itself rests is a bad idea" falls apart immediately because if the two people who did it didn't do it society would either be ruled by a capricious sociopath or everyone would be dead.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Valentin posted:

That didn’t need resolving, it was never a problem for Deku because he was quirkless

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah the problem was there's likely no one in the future that'll be quirkless and be worthy of OFA

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It’s probably too strong at this point to be transferred to anyone anymore, even someone quirkless

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

It’s probably too strong at this point to be transferred to anyone anymore, even someone quirkless

Strong as in “counts as a lot of different quirks, will probably put undue strain on the user”, or just too strong like Twice was once he overcame his emotional trauma and used his Death Flag Parade?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Strong as in “counts as a lot of different quirks, will probably put undue strain on the user”, or just too strong like Twice was once he overcame his emotional trauma and used his Death Flag Parade?

Strong as in "it gets enormously stronger with every generation so the next person after Deku will inherit it and blow their entire body into pineapple salad by trying to lift a moderately heavy object".

OfA is already goofy Twice-level strong narratively even without the pile of extra quirks; the issue was always that it had so much power that actually using it was impractical to impossible.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah there are two issues with OFA:
- Having more than one quirk(all the quirks inside OFA count as a single quirk) is bad for your body so anyone with an existing quirk who receives OFA has their lifespan reduced
- OFA becomes stronger over time which puts a bigger strain on the user’s body(and also makes the previous issue worse)

Deku is effectively the last user because it’s now too strong to safely pass on, even to someone quirkless(they’ll just blow up their limbs when they first activate it) and if it’s passed to someone with an existing quirk they probably wouldn’t last a month anyway

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

RatHat posted:

Yeah there are two issues with OFA:
- Having more than one quirk(all the quirks inside OFA count as a single quirk) is bad for your body so anyone with an existing quirk who receives OFA has their lifespan reduced
- OFA becomes stronger over time which puts a bigger strain on the user’s body(and also makes the previous issue worse)

Deku is effectively the last user because it’s now too strong to safely pass on, even to someone quirkless(they’ll just blow up their limbs when they first activate it) and if it’s passed to someone with an existing quirk they probably wouldn’t last a month anyway

Granny smoochin' a pile of tomato soup going "It's ok you're all better now" before unceremoniously tossing spaghetti in the quirk exploded limb juice.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I suppose passing it to someone with super regeneration could work but it’d be a bit awkward to blow up your arm everytime you punch

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

RatHat posted:

I suppose passing it to someone with super regeneration could work but it’d be a bit awkward to blow up your arm everytime you punch

Wait.

Give it to Eri.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought the whole reason Deku used to blow his limbs off was that his effed up hero worship of All Might combined with having to learn fundamentals of handling a quirk led him to use the move as a super nuke his body wasn’t equipped to handle rather than an extension of himself by spreading the energy out? And then later on he deliberately overclocked himself because he was forced into real bad situations like with Muscular. That’s what I remember at least.

We know that All Might had an innate aptitude for OFA but that was just one aspect of a multifaceted utility quirk you can argue that he wasn’t all that great at it either.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OfA has two parts: the strength stockpiling/transferring part which is the original core quirk, and the additional quirks inherited from the users during the transference process which are incidental and nobody really knew they existed until Deku. All Might was a genius/master of using the core quirk. Nobody knew the other quirks still existed until Deku triggered blackwhip.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Another thought regarding that:

All Might was not Deku when he was younger, nor did he grow up in a comparable time. The way I see it, All Might got OfA and thought of it as simply more power. He wasn't somebody who studied quirks and considered their pros/cons, nor was he really able to have that kind of hobby given the circumstances. So the quirk was just "you're the superest superhuman, just like you thought this would make you."

This is all headcanon baloney from me, but I do think Deku has been able to access the prior quirks because he's been the only user with the interest/imagination to do so. It's not like his body is uniquely attuned to the quirk, he can barely handle its power as is. If Deku wasn't the little weirdo that he is, there's a good chance he'd wind up an All Might Jr when it's all said and done.

I'm not a fiction scientist, this is just how I've thought about it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RatHat posted:

Wouldn't they still die of old age in their 20s?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Weirdly enough, Deku sounds like he has the right type of mindset to use All-For-One effectively, creating combos no one has dreamed of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't Deku canonically give OfA briefly to Baukgo?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Frankly the world is lucky that no OfA user ever hired a less than ethical prostitute

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't Deku canonically give OfA briefly to Baukgo?

Happened in the second movie, I think Bakugo just gave it back after they were done special effecting the villain to near death together though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Caidin posted:

Happened in the second movie, I think Bakugo just gave it back after they were done special effecting the villain to near death together though

No, Bakugo just passed out so it didn't take because reasons

It's dumb

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's kinda funny too knowing what we know now.

Wonder if the anime team knew about that cause IIRC that plot point came after the movie came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well he had it for like 5 minutes tops so he’ll probably be fine