Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, when I read Reaper Man I commit the terrible sin of skimming all the non-Bill-Door stuff. Mostly because Bill Door is such a charming man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Windle Poons sure but if you all skip the macho wizards (Yo!) And the Aliens bit in the mall you must hate fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Read Nation. It's not Discworld, but it's loving amazing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Read Nation. It's not Discworld, but it's loving amazing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

subx posted:

Eric is one of the weirder books. It's not really "bad" but I don't believe I've ever heard anyone call it good either. If I were making suggestions to someone on reading order, Eric probably would not be in there at all, or at the very least after you read the better books.
The only scene I even remember in any detail at all is the one at the end with We are in the damnation business!!!

(and I guess also the one where Rincewind tells the guy he gets home okay)

...it just didn't leave any impression on me at all

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The only scene I even remember in any detail at all is the one at the end with We are in the damnation business!!!

(and I guess also the one where Rincewind tells the guy he gets home okay)

...it just didn't leave any impression on me at all

That's a pretty good summary of how I feel as well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It helps to remember that Eric was originally illustrated like The Last Hero, but for whatever reason the illustrated version never got republished.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Really? Explains so much!

And sadly, because of that we all feel it to be a sort of oddly light addition to our collections.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Yeah, I had read it was an illustrated book and looked for that version a while back cause I knew I was gonna get to it soon, but then realized it must have never been reprinted as the cheapest copies I could find are like 80 bucks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Damo posted:

Yeah, I had read it was an illustrated book and looked for that version a while back cause I knew I was gonna get to it soon, but then realized it must have never been reprinted as the cheapest copies I could find are like 80 bucks.

You can have mine for $50 plus shipping (from the UK) - I never liked the book and I never liked Kirby's art much either. Kirby himself was a good guy, though; I met him in 1998, at the last Discworld Con before his death.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lovely man yes, but like Jedit I too really don't like the whole chaotic weird style on the older covers. It is a little too surreal for my tastes I guess.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Eric is short enough that I wouldn't bother skipping it; it bridges the end of Sourcery and the start of Interesting Times, plus it reveals the origin of life on the Disc (Rincewind's sandwich).

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lovely man yes, but like Jedit I too really don't like the whole chaotic weird style on the older covers. It is a little too surreal for my tastes I guess.

Surreal's fine. It's how everyone looks like a pointy-taloned butter golem that bugs me.

Plus 4-eyed Twoflower.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Disgusting Coward posted:

Surreal's fine. It's how everyone looks like a pointy-taloned butter golem that bugs me.

Plus 4-eyed Twoflower.

Old Man Rincewind and 4 eyed Twoflower get the gently caress out of my memory argh!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Plus 4-eyed Twoflower.

What?

Oh my god, that's loving hilarious. How the hell did that slip past them? How the hell did that slip past them twice? :allears:

To be honest, I'd have sworn it was a deliberate pun if later versions didn't fix it and have him with his glasses.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Fot those that have never had the pleasure:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I have to admit, the covers really turned me away from Discworld for a while when I was a lot younger. It was just too surreal and insane. I eventually came around, but I never managed to like Kidby's art.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sleep of Bronze posted:

What?

Oh my god, that's loving hilarious. How the hell did that slip past them? How the hell did that slip past them twice? :allears:

To be honest, I'd have sworn it was a deliberate pun if later versions didn't fix it and have him with his glasses.

To be fair, the original books don't mention the glasses. On first seeing Twoflower Rincewind does think he has four actual eyes.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Kidby's art is awesome, y'all just wrong. I actually thought this

Jedit posted:

To be fair, the original books don't mention the glasses. On first seeing Twoflower Rincewind does think he has four actual eyes.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Fot those that have never had the pleasure:

was cannon for a while, and it made it all the better.

e: In fact, I would love to have large res images of those covers. LSpace has the covers, but they are rather small.

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 9, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Didn't Kidby later straight up apologize, stating he hadnt really read the book?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm a little confused about the covers. I've always associated Discworld with that super weird art where everyone has kinda the same wrinkly gnome face and it looks old and fancy but kind of totally indecipherable.

But online I've seen a few more "normal" covers (I guess this is Kidby?) where you can pick out characters and moments and stuff - and it's so much better to me, way more personality and stuff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The early stuff (up to about Feet of Clay I think) was Kirby, and weird. The later stuff (most notably Night Watch which is gorgeous) was Kidby and awesome.

As I understand it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Did Paul Kidby ever do covers for the earlier books? I'm guessing not, but we can always hope.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Did Paul Kidby ever do covers for the earlier books? I'm guessing not, but we can always hope.

Not published, but I'm sure I remember seeing a few hypothetical covers for the first few he did.

And of course he's done various scenes from early books from time to time:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 11, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Man, that'd be cool to see in person. I got to see the original cover portrait for Jhereg, and that was neat.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you guys don't have The Art of Discworld, go loving buy it! Kidby is a genius and gets every character pretty much spot on.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Colon's loving muscleplate, amazing

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I'm reading Raising Steam and generally really enjoying it - feels like a return to form after Unseen Academicals, which somehow just felt a bit "off" to me. However, one thing that's slightly ruining Pratchett's writing for me is that he likes to overuse question tags, doesn't he? I'm not sure if it's something he's started doing more recently or if I just didn't notice it in the earlier books but it seems like on almost every page whenever he's outlining what someone's thinking to themselves he can't resist ending the sentence in a ", didn't it?" or ", didn't he?" or ", weren't they?"

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I definitely noticed that there's a lot more run-on sentences in the newer books. Especially when characters are going on extended rants, which themselves are a lot more common. I figured it was left over from Dodger's writing style.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I think it's just that he can't type anymore so he's dictating everything. Unless you sit down and really hammer it out editing you end up with text like that. And he can't sit down and hammer edit except by more dictation so.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I am currently working at a bookstore during the Christmas break. I want to up sell those discworld books like it's the only drat books in this world.
However, I am curious to know at which age did you start reading the books? I am 26 and just started on the series. My sister was in her teens when she started reading the series waaay back in the early 1990's. I am going to ask my best friend how old she was when she started reading them, but I also think it was in her teen years. Both of them were advance readers for their age. I... well lets just say I didn't grasp the skill of reading and writing until I was in my teens.

Also, which discworld book was you first?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I started when I was 12, I was bored and hanging about in my Secondary School library and I saw Maskerade's Jack Kirby cover art, I remembered vaugely playing Discworld 1 on my Uncles PSX and liked the whole concept of it.

Picked it up, read it in two days and before I knew it I was hunting through my local and school library for the others. I also shortly afterwards encountered The Light Fantastic and Mort graphic novels.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
17, picked up Thud! on a lark after college classes one day. Hunted down the rest of the books after that, and the Watch remains my favorite of the sub-series. Only haven't read Last Hero and Raising Steam; tough to find Pratchett's books in my country.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I was 10, doing a lot of travelling and a lot of guest houses had libraries you could trade in two books and get out one so I traded WoT 3-4 for the Last Continent.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Seems that generally everyone started in the pre-teen/teen. Great. A lot of parents are trying to find books for their kids/teens.
Often they want books like The Hunger Games. However you tend to get parents who have had kids who read all the common pre-teen/teen books and the parents want something new.

I am a late bloomer. I am 26, and started with with Going Postal late summer of this year. I LOVE Moist and can relate to him. Capable to be a good citizen but can't handle the basic, everyday routine of normal life.

I am now reading Guards! Guards! I'm enjoying it but to be honest, Sam Vimes isn't impressing me as much. I like the Night Watch. They're pretty cool group, but Sam is my least favorite character.

My next book will either be the witches or death.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My first was A Hat Full of Sky, which I picked up at my high school library at some point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When I was about 11 or 12, my video games magazine of choice had a regular feature on tabletop RPGs, and the editor who ran it had regular exchanges with readers about how good the Discworld series was. One day I just decided I'd see what was up with that and started with Small Gods, for no particular reason. Not a bad choice, I think.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

15, my friend and I were in our town library when the cover for Soul Music caught his eye. He borrowed it first and kept raving about it until he finished, then I borrowed it right when he returned it.

I finished it in about a day, ran back to the library and ponied up enough quarters for the inter-library loans for the rest of the books not in already there. I don't think I've powered through a series so fast before or since.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think I was 16 with Thief of time, then I went back and read the other Death Books. Then the Witch Books, Then the Watch Books, Then the Making Money Books...

I don't think I've read all the Wizard books, I just don't care for them. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Played the game when I was 8 (my dad was already reading the series, and thought the game might be easier as a starting point - he got it for himself, but I ended up playing it), started Guards, Guards at about 10, (With 90% of the jokes and references going over my head :v:), and just gone on from there, really.