Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If the dents end up seriously bothering you, you can always get a PDR guy to pull out most of them for a few bucks (about $20-30 a dent for my guy, which is still going to be quite a bit for that car). There's a 2005 9-2X in my apartment parking lot that has been slowly PDR'd back from severe hail damage over the course of the last few weeks.

The only part of the car that's really uneconomical to do so vs. replacement is the roof skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Its not the dents, its the mystery of what the previous 2 owners did to it that has me worried. Also, its missing the shifter knob :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My '02 WRX got caught in a hailstorm about 9 months after I bought it.

It amounted to over $3k in damage. I had to replace the hood, there was no repairing the amount of damage in that aluminum.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JayKay posted:

This isn't the normal train of thought at NASIOC is it?

NASIOC is literally the worst piece of garbage in car forums in existance.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Engine has been fully installed. Base map has been uploaded to the ECU and I am currently breaking in the clutch (wow it got light with the exedy stage 1).

Here it is while they were still burping the cooling system.

Click here for the full 1024x766 image.

Bonus original TD04 photo

Click here for the full 1024x766 image.

A well lubricated turbo :buddy: AND only like .25" or so of shaft play! YEAH!

So I've got a complete longblock for sale, 800cc Power Enterprise Fuel Injectors, Power Enterprise lightened pully, freshly turned act racelite fly wheel, wrx tmic, perrin up pipe, and a few other parts that I no longer need. Anyone need any of those?

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 15, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JayKay posted:

Its not the dents, its the mystery of what the previous 2 owners did to it that has me worried. Also, its missing the shifter knob :v:
Yeah, that car has clearly been modified. Leakdown test it.
Also, when it comes to hail, what I'd worry about is if the hail broke any glass and caused water damage. Check for that.

zantar
Jul 30, 2002
My friggin 2008 wrx sun visor broke :( I think I pushed it too close to the glass and now it falls on its own at the slightest weight shift. $50 for a new one, screw that, I'm going to the junkyard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Amandyke posted:

Engine has been fully installed. Base map has been uploaded to the ECU and I am currently breaking in the clutch (wow it got light with the exedy stage 1).
Your clutch got lighter with the Exedy clutch? It must be different for pull vs. push type clutches because mine is pretty miserable if I'm even slightly tired or don't want to go to the effort of pushing my clutch pedal in.

Then again, I need to bleed the clutch system, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were water or some chunks of my master/slave cylinders in there gumming up the works as well.

Your WRX gets better every time I see it. I can't wait to hear that motor!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 15, 2010

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I think I found the previous owner that sold it to the auto auction. I fired him off an email just to confirm.

Looks like he tried to sell it private party and gave up. From looking at his post history it appears he ssold most of the mods

http://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=31013

Edit: its him. At least I know the history of the car from his post history lol

JayKay fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 15, 2010

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Fog Light

How did you end up doing it? It was one of the first things I did on mine.

Popped the cover off on the front, then opened the wheel well paneling and unscrewed it from the back.

drat manual says something like "take it to the dealer". Ridiculous. Replacement was $6.00.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I'm out looking for my first vehicle and really want to get a Subaru since they're reliable and there is a fairly good amount of life in them before they die. However, I'm also a poor college student and don't have the funds to go out and get a new one so I'd be looking for something between a '95-2002 in a best case scenario. For use, it'd probably get 20ish miles a week for around town and then the occasional 3 hour drive home, or 6 to Pittsburgh. What model would be best and what should I be looking for other than the head gasket and timing belt stuff with these older models?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Defghanistan posted:

Subagoons: how the gently caress do I keep that goddamn rubber mat from sliding all over the loving place goddamn you Subaru why didn't you think of this?
If the mat is sitting on a fuzzy carpet, I would buy some adhesive backed velcro and stick several squares of the non-fuzzy strips to the bottom of the mat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I have my MY06 WRX back on the road.

After driving a 07 for two years, the things that really stood out going back to the higher km car (The 06 is close to 100,000 kms)

a) The 06 rides so goddamn badly until you go like hell. Then it's awesome.
b) The dead standard WRX seems to be oh so quiet compared to the modded 07
c) It doesnt get up and go it seems to simply accumulate speed.
d) It really is remarkable just how little is in a off the shelf no options car. Not even mats. Lucky to have a radio!
e) Why is the shift feel much better than the 07? It's on par with the STI. I dont get that one. Also disinctly shorter throw than the 07
f) It handles soooooo much better than the 07. I dont get that, surely the STI inverted strut suspension they came with in Aust doesn't make that much of a difference....?
g) Also distinctly heavier (better) steering feel
h) I'm just so not compelled to touch a single thing on the 06.

I really dont get the noticably better handling and the sharper road feel.

i) I sooooo love this car and I dont give a gently caress what people think, she's called Natalie and she's AWESOME
j) Bright red is a rather unusual colour for a WRX

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
So I've still been looking at Subarus, and found a Legacy Outback wagon, 2003 with 58,000 miles for $9100. A coworker saw me looking and mentioned that when dealing with always on AWD, you have to replace all of the tires when you replace one, or it causes issues with the AWD? Any truth to this?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Uziel posted:

So I've still been looking at Subarus, and found a Legacy Outback wagon, 2003 with 58,000 miles for $9100. A coworker saw me looking and mentioned that when dealing with always on AWD, you have to replace all of the tires when you replace one, or it causes issues with the AWD? Any truth to this?

This is a good question because they told my wife the exact same thing and I've always wondered if they scammed her, but then I forgot to check.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

syphon posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the SPT Exhaust option? My 2010 with the stock exhaust sounded like absolute poo poo (there was NO exhaust note, all you could hear was engine). When I replaced it with the SPT exhaust, it sounded a million times better.

EDIT: I uploaded this video when I swapped out the exhaust - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbGLGtml-g - In that video, the stock exhaust doesn't sound bad, but you can't even hear it from inside the car. I wish I'd included a comparison from inside the car. I can't stress enough how much I hated the stock exhaust!

Wow that sounds awesome. When I bought my Subaru, I dont remember seeing any options for an exhaust upgrade. I'm in Australia and taking my car to be serviced next week so I'll ask if they offer those systems in Australia. Do you have the full\alternative title just in case we call them something else?

(PS: Totally ignorant about car parts. The fan belt is the thing that makes the thing go broom amirite? :downs:)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

f) It handles soooooo much better than the 07. I dont get that, surely the STI inverted strut suspension they came with in Aust doesn't make that much of a difference....?
I have driven an 06 wagon like mine with STI inverted dampers instead of the stock KYBs and it does make a huge difference (admittedly it also had a 6-speed and 27mm front swaybar). The KYBs are a little nervous.

quote:

j) Bright red is a rather unusual colour for a WRX
I've only seen a handful of red WRXes. I'm guessing it's both a really limited allocation/demand from FHI and that if you have a WRX you're not the kind of customer who enjoys attracting the eye of police officers.

There were a few bugeye WRXes here in like a cranberry red, but I don't think that counts.

Why was your car off the road for so long? Fixing something?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Uziel posted:

Its true. You need to have the same size tires at the minimum and ideally you want the treadwear to be similar on both sides.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Subagoons in cold weather – Give me some tips on not completely killing my car now that it's in Chicago, and no longer in San Diego.

I keep her in a garage, and try and chisel off any accumulated snow that's followed her home, and she's now on some pretty awesome Dunlop 3D Wintersports per your recommendations.

However, this morning it was around 7ºF and I had a little hesitation before she started. I'll be going back to San Diego from December 20th until January 1st, and I'm worried that her battery will die before I get back.

Since my WRX is being stored in a garage, should I still invest in a battery heater? Are there any things I can install myself (beginner-medium technical ability) by this Saturday that can stave off impending battery doom?

Also, is it worthwhile picking up a handheld sprayer just to get all the accumulated salt deposits off the paint/underbody? So much for continuing to mod my car here. :sigh:
Thanks.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

car is throwing p0502 but isn't in limp mode and speedo is fine. Suggestions?

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

dyne posted:

If the mat is sitting on a fuzzy carpet, I would buy some adhesive backed velcro and stick several squares of the non-fuzzy strips to the bottom of the mat.

This is a pretty good idea. I think I should buy like 80 feet of it. You have no idea how obnoxious this is.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: Ok, back home from the test drive and now typing on a real keyboard instead of my phone.

The hail damage isn't that bad. I did notice a few dings that had a very small (like a 1/8 inch sliver) of surface rust. The car was obviously modded as I saw from the previous owner's post history and when he couldn't sell it private, he ended up putting it back to mostly stock and then trading it in. The car still has a modded exhaust that is loud as hell. Too loud for my tastest and style, but not a dealbreaker.

The bad: CEL is on and flashing and is throwing a
P0502 Vehicle Speed Sensor Low Speed
P0851 Neutral Switch Input Circuit Low.

However what is odd is the fact that according to my research, this usually results in the car going into limp mode and the speedo ceasing to work, except the speedo is working and I'm still getting boost into the 8-9 PSI according to the aftermarket gauge (didn't really have a chance to really WOT due to traffic :argh:) What concerns me is that it seems that this could be related to a the drive gear in the tranny and while I do have the money budgeted for whatever crap that needs to be fixed, that's going to be a chunk of change. The good thing is that they're offering to bump it down to $4400.

Also, it seems to have a low, rough idle...approximately 750 RPMs, is this normal?] It is

I spoke to the guy who owned and modded it and he said he didn't have any CEL's when he traded it in. Any idea what could be causing the sudden codes? Perhaps a bad connection?

Edit Edit: Ok, apparently it may be in limp mode since I'm only getting 8 PSI compared to the normal 14 PSI. Dammit.

Edit edit edit: Turns out the ecu port/accessport whatever was plugged into itself resulting in the faults. Once it was unplugged it was smooth saililng.

Final Edit: Purchased the car for $4700 and I can't be happier. Just need to replace some lightbulbs, already have some keyfobs enroute from eBay, and on the hunt for a OEM WRX shifter knob.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 16, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why was your car off the road for so long? Fixing something?

Nah, nowhere to garage it so had it in storage

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Hammer Floyd posted:

Wow that sounds awesome. When I bought my Subaru, I dont remember seeing any options for an exhaust upgrade. I'm in Australia and taking my car to be serviced next week so I'll ask if they offer those systems in Australia. Do you have the full\alternative title just in case we call them something else?

(PS: Totally ignorant about car parts. The fan belt is the thing that makes the thing go broom amirite? :downs:)
Here's the actual exhaust I got. It was a dealer option when I bought the car (for $850 I think?) but I ended up buying it from a local shop for cheaper and installing it myself. It's possible that SPT doesn't exist in Australia, or maybe it's sold under a different name?

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_99_111&products_id=1360

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

JayKay posted:

Edit: Ok, back home from the test drive and now typing on a real keyboard instead of my phone.

The hail damage isn't that bad. I did notice a few dings that had a very small (like a 1/8 inch sliver) of surface rust. The car was obviously modded as I saw from the previous owner's post history and when he couldn't sell it private, he ended up putting it back to mostly stock and then trading it in. The car still has a modded exhaust that is loud as hell. Too loud for my tastest and style, but not a dealbreaker.

The bad: CEL is on and flashing and is throwing a
P0502 Vehicle Speed Sensor Low Speed
P0851 Neutral Switch Input Circuit Low.

However what is odd is the fact that according to my research, this usually results in the car going into limp mode and the speedo ceasing to work, except the speedo is working and I'm still getting boost into the 8-9 PSI according to the aftermarket gauge (didn't really have a chance to really WOT due to traffic :argh:) What concerns me is that it seems that this could be related to a the drive gear in the tranny and while I do have the money budgeted for whatever crap that needs to be fixed, that's going to be a chunk of change. The good thing is that they're offering to bump it down to $4400.

Also, it seems to have a low, rough idle...approximately 750 RPMs, is this normal?] It is

I spoke to the guy who owned and modded it and he said he didn't have any CEL's when he traded it in. Any idea what could be causing the sudden codes? Perhaps a bad connection?

Edit Edit: Ok, apparently it may be in limp mode since I'm only getting 8 PSI compared to the normal 14 PSI. Dammit.

Edit edit edit: Turns out the ecu port/accessport whatever was plugged into itself resulting in the faults. Once it was unplugged it was smooth saililng.

Final Edit: Purchased the car for $4700 and I can't be happier. Just need to replace some lightbulbs, already have some keyfobs enroute from eBay, and on the hunt for a OEM WRX shifter knob.

You got a great deal even for a gamble. I'm in the area and I was tempted to buy that even though I don't need a car. Not to mention you don't need to worry about scratches and whatnot, just enjoy it. Congrats.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't replace it with an OEM WRX shift knob; the delrin replacements (from Kartboy, etc) are readily available and often cheaper.

Congratulations on your purchase! I always was curious how well the car would run with the test connector still plugged in. That is a smoking deal.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 16, 2010

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Don't replace it with an OEM WRX shift knob; the delrin replacements (from Kartboy, etc) are readily available and often cheaper.

Congratulations on your purchase! I always was curious how well the car would run with the test connector still plugged in. That is a smoking deal.

Are they only available online or are they available at retail locations?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

Are they only available online or are they available at retail locations?
Local tuner shops might carry them; mine carries the Cobb shift knob but I think it's basically mail-order only.

You might also be able to call a shop and have them order it for you from a supplier they trust, but there might be a markup. Could be worth it if you want to start building a relationship with a shop you plan to use in the future.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Should ask if they have any "extra" OEM knobs :p

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Local tuner shops might carry them; mine carries the Cobb shift knob but I think it's basically mail-order only.

You might also be able to call a shop and have them order it for you from a supplier they trust, but there might be a markup. Could be worth it if you want to start building a relationship with a shop you plan to use in the future.

Yeah, turns out FastWRX.com / Mach V Motorsports is not too far of a drive for me and I might venture out in the snow later today and pay them a visit.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Wow. Just WOW. Rode my SV650 to work today, fully expecting the '20% chance of light snow shower' to be a hoax like it usually is.

Apparently 'SV' doesn't stand for 'snow vehicle.' I made it out of the lot and in retrospect I could have made it home, but it was packed down and VERY slippery for dunlop qualifiers. BTW the guy with the MG rode home. I feel like a total pussy :(

Got a ride home... and swapped for:

WRX with WS70 blizzaks. HOLY HELL. I've never owned snow tires, and of course going to the (arguably) highest end snows from all seasons is a BIG jump. I can stop, turn, and ACCELERATE like crazy. It's a totally different world.

Yes I'm posting this in two threads. Don't hate :D

Blaise fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 17, 2010

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.
I see you live in Philly!

I'm across the river in South Jersey and something similar happened to me.

Basically, I need to buy winter rubber immediately. I seriously did not think we were going to get anything.

Also I love the bug-eye wagon. :3:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Jesus loving Christ why can't I find a competent and honest Subaru shop within 20 miles of Sacramento?
gently caress, I'm at the point where I'm resorting to the dealer.
All I want is a shop that realizes that I track may car, doesn't freak out that my car is modified, knows the poo poo out of a 2.5L turbo, and isn't a wanna-be tuner shop.
The nearest reputable shop is in loving Fairfield. What the hell?
(I'm partially ranting and partially looking for recommendations. And no, not DBtuned)

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
I'm going to check out a 2007 Forester XT with a 5 speed this weekend. It has ~60,000 miles on it. It looks great in the pictures but is a 2 previous owner Texas vehicle, and I'm in OK. Anything I should look out for?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1798/time-bandit-jc-meynets-all-conquering-2006-subaru-sti.aspx

Isn't this the car you work on?

*Edit - oh poo poo, nm. You're mentioned in the article.

quote:

- Peter "Jamal" LeClaire from Hellafunctional for his general racecar knowledge and trackside efforts.

Cool

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 17, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DONT DO IT posted:

I'm going to check out a 2007 Forester XT with a 5 speed this weekend. It has ~60,000 miles on it. It looks great in the pictures but is a 2 previous owner Texas vehicle, and I'm in OK. Anything I should look out for?
I thought the FXT had a 6-speed?

Nope, guess it's a 5-speed after all. I'm not sure why I thought it was an STI transmission. Do the usual WRX/STI checks and get the car compression tested and inspected.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 17, 2010

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

Jesus loving Christ why can't I find a competent and honest Subaru shop within 20 miles of Sacramento?
All I want is a shop that realizes that I track may car, doesn't freak out that my car is modified, knows the poo poo out of a 2.5L turbo, and isn't a wanna-be tuner shop.
(I'm partially ranting and partially looking for recommendations. And no, not DBtuned)

I don't believe there are any other options near Sacramento aside from dealers or dbtuned. Just go to EQ Tuning, talk to Brendan or Ed and tell them Josh sent you. They just finished up my motor and will be tuning it in the coming weeks. They do fantastic work, will answer any questions you may have, and have no problem with you overseeing their work.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

c355n4 posted:

jamal

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1798/time-bandit-jc-meynets-all-conquering-2006-subaru-sti.aspx

Isn't this the car you work on?

*Edit - oh poo poo, nm. You're mentioned in the article.

Cool

haha yeah. They'll have some really cool in-car video with telemetry of our record at superlap battle coming up soon as well.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

nm posted:

In addition to EQ, LIC and GST are also great shops. not sure exactly where they are in relation to you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokuja
Jun 2, 2004
I have no idea about this shop except I dropped by to deliver some rallyX flyers this past season.

Alfas and Subaru

http://www.yelp.com/biz/joes-alfas-subaru-sacramento