Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kriminal posted:

oh my god

Delete all of that. What are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kriminal
Oct 18, 2004
Yea I agree but not knowing anyone I really had no choice but to screen a few lawyers and pick the best. However I have seen many incompetent people in positions they do not deserve.

kriminal
Oct 18, 2004
Anyone have any experience if you get convicted with a DWY? (lost case) Is it possible to offer huge ammount of community service in exchange of a clean record?

kriminal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 11, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

kriminal posted:

I may get fired / loose my visa status for this incident.

If you are on any sort of visa (poo poo if you are anything except a US citizen) make sure that your lawyer either has immigration experience or is consulting with a real immigration attorney on your case. It's not rare for a criminal defense lawyer to get what would be a good deal for most people, but still means getting shitcanned for an immigrant.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

kriminal posted:

Anyone have any experience if you get convicted with a DWY? (lost case) Is it possible to offer huge ammount of community service in exchange of a clean record?

It varies wildly depending on where you're from...

So.... where are you from?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Schitzo posted:

You will get your phone call. Use it. Ask your lawyer to read you the criminal code, page by page, including annotation, and pray you have an efficient liver. If the cops force you off the phone you have a potential charter breach. Make it clear that you weren't finished consulting with counsel. Eventually you'll need to blow into the real machine. Pray.

How is this effective? Can't they just do the math to project where you were likely at 3 hours ago after they get your current BAC% (assuming you're on the phone for 3 hours)?

Ex: The liver metabolizes alcohol at a rate of 0.015 per hour, say you test a 0.045 3 hours after arrest, that would place you at 0.09

Or is that stuff not allowed because everyone is different or something?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CADPAT posted:

How is this effective? Can't they just do the math to project where you were likely at 3 hours ago after they get your current BAC% (assuming you're on the phone for 3 hours)?

Ex: The liver metabolizes alcohol at a rate of 0.015 per hour, say you test a 0.045 3 hours after arrest, that would place you at 0.09

Or is that stuff not allowed because everyone is different or something?

They do it, but it is just an estimate.
Plus juries get hung up on the number.

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
My wife and I are new to remodeling our house, and we have pretty much broke every rule that there is when it comes to hiring a reputable contractor.

Having tried to do most of the renovations ourselves and failing miserably we came home to a business card on our door stating that if we needed any help with plumbing, drywall, painting, or any handyman associated work to give him a call. So we did, and he came by the very same day to give us a quote. He is local to our area, and gave us a very reasonable quote to work on our plumbing, drywall, tile, and hardwood flooring. He quoted us at $2700 for the entire job. We accepted, and he asked for a down payment of $700 for materials and then he stated he wouldn't need any more until the job was completed. We paid him the $700 in cash, and he told us he was going to come the next day and begin the work.

The next day he showed up and started preparing our kitchen floor. He told us that our $700 had been spent in materials and asked us if we could give him another $700 towards the cost. We agreed thinking that the normal procedures would be half up front and the remainder upon completion. His requests did not seem unreasonable. He then left and told us he was going to buy supplies and he would return on monday.

True to his word, he returned monday morning, however that day all he brought with him was a sob story stating that he had come upon hard times and that he would get evicted from his apartment. He wanted to add on to the contract that we had signed and said that we would give us a really good deal if we agreed to more work and gave him more money. At this point we didn't have a lot of money, and we are still struggling at this point. So we had to deny his offer but we told him that we understood that if his home wasn't in order that he couldn't focus on the job at hand. So we told him to take a couple of days off and get his problems sorted out.

This saga continued for over a week and finally he told us that he was struggling and would either refund our money or continue the work on the next monday. At this point, we were very skeptical of his true intentions so we stated we wanted our money back. We asked for his drivers license, and also wrote down his number plate just in case he disappeared over the weekend.

At this point we needed to hire another contractor before the next rent was due in our apartment so we could move into our mortgage free house. The next contractor was one recommended to us, and things are going very smoothly with him. We should be able to move in next week.

Another week on of promises, and excuses, we still haven't received our money. He gave us a written "statement" that he would pay us back the money he took from us. Tomorrow is the day that was agreed on his written statement. He called me today to confirm meeting him at my house so he could give me my money back. My wife and I are skeptical that we will ever see the money that he owes us, because of how many times he has come to our house with an excuse instead of the money he owes us.

At this point, we are curious as to what kind of legal action we can take, if for whatever reason he doesn't have the money tomorrow.

Can we call the cops? Do we even have a leg to stand on?

Just to clarify I live in Ohio, so i'm not sure if it differs from state to state.

Any info anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
SirDrinksAlot:

The police don't care, nothing criminal happened. (unless there's some crazy specific Ohio law regarding fraud and contractors, which I'm too lazy to research)

But you can definitely sue the guy and win for $1400. No question, you paid him to do a job and he didn't do it. You don't necessarily need a lawyer to do this. You could go to your local courthouse, and you want the clerk's office. They may walk you through the paperwork, or hand you a crazy looking form with no explanation. There will probably be a fee to file the lawsuit, something like $50. You would have to attend at least one hearing, perhaps several. You've also got to know where he lives, and since he's being evicted from his apartment... But let's assume you get him.

Here's your major problem: Winning a judgment against him is probably gonna net you negative 50 dollars.

Once you win a legal judgment, that doesn't mean they hold him upside down for you until he pays. You can try to garnish wages, freeze bank accounts, have a sherriff levy (sell) his personal property. But the court doesn't find out where he works or banks. And even if you found out, what are the chances that you're going to hit anything? Most likely you'll be standing in a line of creditors that he's used to dodging.

It's a punch in the stomach, but you are probably just out the money. The legal system will give you a judgment, but it can't draw blood from a stone. Based on what you've said I'd give you a minimal chance of actually seeing money back from a judgment. That sucks. Right now, your best bet is to tell him something like: "look we understand you're going through a rough patch, refund us $200 and we'll move on." You are not likely to get that, but it doesn't hurt to try. Sorry for the bad news man.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 13, 2012

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

woozle wuzzle posted:

SirDrinksAlot:

The police don't care, nothing criminal happened. (unless there's some crazy specific Ohio law regarding fraud and contractors, which I'm too lazy to research)

But you can definitely sue the guy and win for $1400. No question, you paid him to do a job and he didn't do it. You don't necessarily need a lawyer to do this. You could go to your local courthouse, and you want the clerk's office. They may walk you through the paperwork, or hand you a crazy looking form with no explanation. There will probably be a fee to file the lawsuit, something like $50. You would have to attend at least one hearing, perhaps several. You've also got to know where he lives, and since he's being evicted from his apartment... But let's assume you get him.

Here's your major problem: Winning a judgment against him is probably gonna net you negative 50 dollars.

Once you win a legal judgment, that doesn't mean they hold him upside down for you until he pays. You can try to garnish wages, freeze bank accounts, have a sherriff levy (sell) his personal property. But the court doesn't find out where he works or banks. And even if you found out, what are the chances that you're going to hit anything? Most likely you'll be standing in a line of creditors that he's used to dodging.

It's a punch in the stomach, but you are probably just out the money. The legal system will give you a judgment, but it can't draw blood from a stone. Based on what you've said I'd give you a minimal chance of actually seeing money back from a judgment. That sucks. Right now, your best bet is to tell him something like: "look we understand you're going through a rough patch, refund us $200 and we'll move on." You are not likely to get that, but it doesn't hurt to try. Sorry for the bad news man.

Doesn't hurt to contact the local PD's fraud unit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SirDrinksAlot posted:

My wife and I are new to remodeling our house, and we have pretty much broke every rule that there is when it comes to hiring a reputable contractor.

Having tried to do most of the renovations ourselves and failing miserably we came home to a business card on our door stating that if we needed any help with plumbing, drywall, painting, or any handyman associated work to give him a call. So we did, and he came by the very same day to give us a quote. He is local to our area, and gave us a very reasonable quote to work on our plumbing, drywall, tile, and hardwood flooring. He quoted us at $2700 for the entire job. We accepted, and he asked for a down payment of $700 for materials and then he stated he wouldn't need any more until the job was completed. We paid him the $700 in cash, and he told us he was going to come the next day and begin the work.

The next day he showed up and started preparing our kitchen floor. He told us that our $700 had been spent in materials and asked us if we could give him another $700 towards the cost. We agreed thinking that the normal procedures would be half up front and the remainder upon completion. His requests did not seem unreasonable. He then left and told us he was going to buy supplies and he would return on monday.

True to his word, he returned monday morning, however that day all he brought with him was a sob story stating that he had come upon hard times and that he would get evicted from his apartment. He wanted to add on to the contract that we had signed and said that we would give us a really good deal if we agreed to more work and gave him more money. At this point we didn't have a lot of money, and we are still struggling at this point. So we had to deny his offer but we told him that we understood that if his home wasn't in order that he couldn't focus on the job at hand. So we told him to take a couple of days off and get his problems sorted out.

This saga continued for over a week and finally he told us that he was struggling and would either refund our money or continue the work on the next monday. At this point, we were very skeptical of his true intentions so we stated we wanted our money back. We asked for his drivers license, and also wrote down his number plate just in case he disappeared over the weekend.

At this point we needed to hire another contractor before the next rent was due in our apartment so we could move into our mortgage free house. The next contractor was one recommended to us, and things are going very smoothly with him. We should be able to move in next week.

Another week on of promises, and excuses, we still haven't received our money. He gave us a written "statement" that he would pay us back the money he took from us. Tomorrow is the day that was agreed on his written statement. He called me today to confirm meeting him at my house so he could give me my money back. My wife and I are skeptical that we will ever see the money that he owes us, because of how many times he has come to our house with an excuse instead of the money he owes us.

At this point, we are curious as to what kind of legal action we can take, if for whatever reason he doesn't have the money tomorrow.

Can we call the cops? Do we even have a leg to stand on?

Just to clarify I live in Ohio, so i'm not sure if it differs from state to state.

Any info anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
Is he a licensed contractor?
If so, you can take action there.
If not, what he did is probably a crime.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

Is he a licensed contractor?
If so, you can take action there.
If not, what he did is probably a crime.

It'd be theft by deception, and with $1400 gone, a 5th degree felony ($1000-$7000 gone). (definitions)

The good bit is, you've got good ID and good ways for the police to get a hold of him. That'll help them be more interested.
How well did you document the work/lack of work before you brought in the new contractor? That might be the sticky point for a prosecutor. (which at worst would push it back to a misdemeanor)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Where is the fraud or deception in that fact pattern?

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

Thank you all for the advice. You have been much more helpful than my friends and family. I am meeting with him in a few hours I'll let you know if he has the money which if he does great, if not I'll let you all know what the local police have to say.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

euphronius posted:

Where are the supplies he supposedly bought?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is possible. He may not have receipts for supplies.

It smells more like simple breach rather than a crime. It could be a crime, I don't know.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 13, 2012

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

euphronius posted:

That is possible. He may not have receipts for supplies.

It smells more like simple breach rather than a crime. It could be a crime, I don't know.

It's a fairly common pattern for contractor fraud. And it's definitely a breach. It just may also be a fraud.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Drinks, I'm not a lawyer or anything.

I found Ohio's state licensing board's website, here. The state does not regulate general contractors, only plumbing, HVAC, electrical, hydronics, and refrigeration, which it provides full lists of in comma separated format. It does mention, though, that the local government may regulate, so check with your municipality if this is still an area of concern. If you live in a major metro area, they very well could require licenses.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

Entering a contract with no intention of performing while making a representation that the parties relied on to their detriment. I'd allege fraud and breach.

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

Drinks, I'm not a lawyer or anything.

I found Ohio's state licensing board's website, here. The state does not regulate general contractors, only plumbing, HVAC, electrical, hydronics, and refrigeration, which it provides full lists of in comma separated format. It does mention, though, that the local government may regulate, so check with your municipality if this is still an area of concern. If you live in a major metro area, they very well could require licenses.

That's the thing that confused us he stated that he had gotten permits to turn on the water ect. So we thought that he was a legitimate licensed contractor as he never stated otherwise. Our new contractors have bid us over half of what the first contractor did and they are fully licensed And near completion of the job.

I do have some good news though we met with the first contractor this morning and he gave us another sob story but he also came with $700. He asked for us not to call the cops and that he would pay us off the rest later. We said that it was no problem we were just happy to have some money back and if it took him some time to get the rest together that it was fine and that we were regretful that things ended up the way they did and wish that we could have been more flexible. He said thanks and he would keep in contact. So we figure at this point if he runs off with the rest I probably wouldn't pursue it as the other $700 would be helpful its not worth our time and effort.

Thank you all you guys put my mind at ease knowing I had some kind of legal recourse if things had gone a different way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah that is good.

It honestly sounds to me that the guy was in a hard place for real rather than trying to rip you off.

CaptainScraps posted:

Entering a contract with no intention of performing while making a representation that the parties relied on to their detriment. I'd allege fraud and breach.

Yeah I know. But is tough to prove that "no intention of performing" part, especially in the context of contracts. Case law wants to label these situations breaches rather than fraud.

At least in my limited experience.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

Yeah I know. But is tough to prove that "no intention of performing" part, especially in the context of contracts. Case law wants to label these situations breaches rather than fraud.

Yeah, I'm with you. Might as well try for it and see what discovery cooks up, though.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CaptainScraps posted:

IANAL, but for my own curiosity on this. Wouldn't the fact that he did, in fact, come to work there and attempt to work, give him a pretty good angle to attack the claim that he didn't intend to complete? I mean, heck, couldn't he even counter that he is due something for services rendered? Unless bid work has a whole lot of other oversight beyond normal service work...

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

euphronius posted:

Might as well try to get the local PD to start the discovery process for you

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

kriminal posted:

Thanks I already spoke with a lawyer and will proceed for the hearing before the 15 days since the arrest. This is my first offense.

EDITED

I refused the breathalyzer at the jail which is a big machine as I have heard it is not so accurate. I offered them to take a blood test but they did not want to take me to the hospital.

EDITED

Godamit if your eyes start to close even a little bit please do not drive . Stop and get a redbull. I may get fired / loose my visa status for this incident.

(Disclaimer: I have liver problems so I've never actually drank before)

I don't understand why anyone would refuse a breathalyzer test unless they were drunk?? I mean, it's what ten seconds and then you're in the clear?

Unless you were drinking, of course.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Because you can have alcohol in your system below the legal limit and don't want to risk a false reading?

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011

NancyPants posted:

Because you can have alcohol in your system below the legal limit and don't want to risk a false reading?

Can't you also be charged even if you are under the limit, but are too impaired to drive?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Goontastic posted:

Can't you also be charged even if you are under the limit, but are too impaired to drive?
Yes, but that is hard to prove unless your .06 reads as a .08.
That said, I generally think refusal is a bad idea, but I'm admitted in states that punish refusal worse than a DUI.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

SlenderWhore posted:

I don't understand why anyone would refuse a breathalyzer test unless they were drunk?? I mean, it's what ten seconds and then you're in the clear?

In some states, you're already arrested for DUI by the time the breathalyzer issue comes up, even if you subsequently blow a 0.00% (though that result would probably help getting the charge dismissed). Failing the breathalyzer is an additional DUI charge with the separate element of driving with a BAC over .whatever%, so no real need to rack up a second misdemeanor for no reason.

Second, breathalyzer accuracy issues. The jury is probably going to treat the % like it was issued from God, despite a host of problems that could have arisen. I worked in a jurisdiction where they hadn't run diagnostics on one of their machines in a 3 year stretch from 2004-2006. That, combined with the wildly varying results you get given your particular body weight, metabolism, etc. can mean that you could feel completely sober and still blow over .08, or feel rip roaring drunk and blow under. They have little charts to show how many drinks/hour gets you where at what weight, but I have yet to see anyone with it on their person out at a bar, along with a stopwatch.

Third, the administrative penalties for refusal are usually less than what criminal charges you'd get for failing (nm's jurisdiction I think is an exception to the norm), so it's a hedge bet for those that are risk-adverse arrestees.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

SlenderWhore posted:

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Stupid question. My waiter and waitress friends always complain about patrons who leave without paying and how it comes out of their wages. Is this even legal or is it a bar/restaurant owner abusing his staff?

Most the complaints I see are NJ/PA in case if that makes a difference.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Depends on the labour code where you live. I don't know NJ/PA, but that would be illegal here -- can't penalize workers for mistakes (ie: you drop that plate, it comes out of your cheque)

Unfortunately, a lot of employers, especially in hospitality, don't really care all that much about employment standards

nm
Jan 28, 2008

spregalia posted:

Stupid question. My waiter and waitress friends always complain about patrons who leave without paying and how it comes out of their wages. Is this even legal or is it a bar/restaurant owner abusing his staff?

I think this is generally illegal.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

spregalia posted:

This is illegal (albeit widespread practice) in most states.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
I have a question about restraining orders. (I'm in Tennessee, BTW.)

Back Story
August 2011, I slapped my (then) boyfriend (I know that was wrong) when I discovered he had been cheating and lying for 2 years. He then proceeds to beat me up. I did bite him in self defense (he had me pinned and was hitting me). I fled the scene because I was scared for my life, but he had called the cops. Because he made a call and I wasn't on the scene when police arrived, I ended up being booked and held for 12 hours. The charges were thrown out of court, so I have nothing on my record. He had failed to prosecute. I had a lawyer who said this was pretty cut and dry, that even if he had showed, I would have had my charges dropped.

Present Issue
Said ex still emails me regularly, even after I told him to stop. Each e-mail causes me to have a panic attack, and I'm constantly afraid of running into him. I changed the filters on my account to send his emails directly to a folder tilted "PROOF", but he has gone so far as to send me messages through a third party. I want him to stop, and be gone from my life so I don't have to be afraid anymore.

Is this enough to get a restraining order? The only reason I'm hesitating is because I'm still in debt from the initial booking/bail and lawyer fees, and I can't afford to apply for an order and have it backfire and owe more money for court fees and (potential) lawyer costs. Am I being a big baby? The fact of the matter is I'm living in fear and I desperately want this to go away.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
I've researched this several times, and everything points to me being ok in filing. But I'm just terrified of trying and failing, not only for financial reasons, but also what he might do as a result.

For example, the night that happened, I was going to tell him I thought I was pregnant. I didn't actually find out until September, and when I told him he just berated me for an hour over the phone.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It doesn't cost anything to file for an order of protection.

Start here or here.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 15, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

It doesn't cost anything to file for an order of protection.

Start here or here.

The hard part if generally service. I highly recommend using a professional process server (or the police, if available in your jurisdiction).
Lay people either serve the wrong stuff, disappear, and a friend is generally a poor witness should he violate (I certainly have had cases where the friend never actually served the papers).

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Thanks for the responses. Apparently, it's illegal throughout the entire U.S. http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

spregalia posted:

Thanks for the responses. Apparently, it's illegal throughout the entire U.S. http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf

I realize that says "An employer improperly requires tipped employees to pay for customers who walk out without paying their bills or for incorrectly totaled bills."

but the whole opinion letter otherwise deals with that only being illegal in cases where it drops salary below the minimum wage. Can someone confirm this is illegal?