Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always thought of the Equalist movement being more like the Boxer rebellion than the Chinese civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

Well la-di-friggin-da. From what I've heard, there were plenty of reasons to dislike Korra that weren't "this is displeasing to my identity politics."

It's entirely fair to criticize a political message, especially when it's as dumb and overt and central to the show as it is in Korra, at least for the first season

ElCondemn posted:

I don't know much about Chinese history but it seemed to be mirroring the Chinese industrial age to me. The whole setting was the transition from feudal systems to more modern governments. I guess most of the storylines were about that transition and how different groups wanted to shape the country.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always thought of the Equalist movement being more like the Boxer rebellion than the Chinese civil war.

It doesn't really map to either of those things IMO because there's no corresponding colonialist pressure or inability of the government to reform itself. Republic City is doing absolutely fine by itself. It's literally just "radical politics bad". That's it. And again, it's not that that's an offensive message or a polarizing one or whatever, but it's boring and insipid

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 29, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Republic City is doing absolutely fine by itself. It's literally just "radical politics bad". That's it.

Actually it's "radical politics get you what you want".

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

Actually it's "radical politics get you what you want".

That may be what happened but I don't think that was the intended message.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah, why should anyone complain about a cartoon's politics literally being "there are a specific, minority group of elite people, a one percent if you will, who are naturally better than you just by virtue of their birth and if you push for equality for the common people you're in fact worse than them because of the methods you use revealing your hypocrisy"

i mean i agree there's like a billion things i'd criticize in korra first but its specific insight and perspective is p insipid, inherently flawed, and charged within this political climate and it's pretty loltastic when you think about what it says about the rights or lack thereof of the common people

again, i end up not giving a poo poo mostly because i ascribe its really bad, dumb idiot views to the people running the show being terrible storytellers over right-wing neocons or some poo poo, hanlon's razor and all that, i just think it's funny that it tries to literally put Anonymous/OWS in the show for, i dunno, cultural relevancy or something and didn't think through how to handle it or give its arguments respect at all

it's like i imagine the pitch meeting for it was "but what if...benders were BAD???" "oh man, that's some good morally ambiguous poo poo right there dude, yeah put that poo poo in" "but they're good, right? i mean, our main character and basically everyone she associates with is a bender" "oh, yeah, totes, but wouldn't it be sweet as hell if we asked the question"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ElCondemn posted:

That may be what happened but I don't think that was the intended message.

Authors' intentions are not very interesting.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

Authors' intentions are not very interesting.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Lots of things happened in the show, are you saying if it happened the lesson is that it was good and right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He's arguing Death of the Author

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

He's arguing Death of the Author

I'm not talking about the author, I'm talking about the work. The work did not indicate that revolution was good for republic city, just because it happened in the story doesn't make it a good thing for the story. The lesson the story is telling us wasn't "radical politics get you what you want", it was probably something to do with the fact that a bunch of racists were committing violent attacks against benders. Maybe something like "hating people for being different is bad" or something, it's a kids show.

I wasn't a huge fan of the messages LoK had, but they certainly weren't telling us that being a violent radical extremist is the only way to get things done.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 29, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ElCondemn posted:

I'm not talking about the author, I'm talking about the work. The work did not indicate that revolution was good for republic city, just because it happened in the story doesn't make it a good thing for the story. The lesson the story is telling us wasn't "radical politics get you what you want", it was probably something to do with the fact that a bunch of racists were committing violent attacks against benders. Maybe something like "hating people for being different is bad" or something, it's a kids show.

I wasn't a huge fan of the messages LoK had, but they certainly weren't telling us that being a violent radical extremist is the only way to get things done.

When I say radical politics get what you want, I mean in the MLK vs Malcolm X sense of "violent politics allows concessions to be wrung out of the ruling class". And that is exactly what happened.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

When I say radical politics get what you want, I mean in the MLK vs Malcolm X sense of "violent politics allows concessions to be wrung out of the ruling class". And that is exactly what happened.

That wasn't the message of the show.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

icantfindaname posted:

It doesn't really map to either of those things IMO because there's no corresponding colonialist pressure or inability of the government to reform itself. Republic City is doing absolutely fine by itself. It's literally just "radical politics bad". That's it. And again, it's not that that's an offensive message or a polarizing one or whatever, but it's boring and insipid
Republic City in the first season was struggling with a huge underclass who had moved there in search of opportunity and instead couldn't find work. That's why the non-benders were siding with Amon: He claimed the benders were holding them down, and they were, sort of, in the form of street gangs who could literally crush their shops and homes in two seconds.

They were also angry because the city council were a bunch of patsies placed in power by the four nations. The council never showed any interest in fixing the socio-economic problems the city faced (if it was even possible at that time), and then the Water Tribe representative manipulated them into letting him seize even more power. That's why, at the end of season 1, they fired those dudes and held elections for a president.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I rather liked Korra, but then I think a large chunk of what is making people unhappy about it is that it's not fitting within expectations. Aang was a rather unique protagonist for actually being properly pacifist, something you don't see too often nowadays and while it's understandable Korra going back to the typical action hero roots of punch now, ask questions later, retreading on a concept similar to Aang would have been a waste of time. Also, it wasn't like that's all there was to Korra. The first season in particular did a great job of foiling who she was, Korra knows she's basically superhuman compared to the rest of the world and revels in it, it only makes sense that her main issues revolve around being reduced to helpless as well as the unfair advantage she was born with.

Also, the romance, while admittedly grating at times, didn't really bother me all that much, mostly because the characters were written their age: As teenagers and young adults. Famous ones in a time period with news coverage to boot, it only make sense that they acted like teenagers and steadily grow out of being, well, petty and melodramatic. It was really no different than the characters from the original series acting their age.

As for the season villains, I'll be honest, out of all four, I liked Unalaq the most, followed by Amon, even if they didn't have morals you could necessarily argue for running behind them. The Avatar series is first and foremost a Wuxia series. When people think of Wuxia, they think of stylish and colorful characters that do kung fu and having a plot driven around that and the nice part about Amon and Unalaq, just like Ozai and Azula, was that they had flair. It's okay to have a villain is just that: an rear end in a top hat with issues. Petty revenge and "gently caress you, I want to be a god" works just fine for me. Zaheer and Kuvira brought their own their set of baggage to the table and for the better, they were all unique and served to help develop not just Korra but the entire cast in their own way.

Not to say I don't think the series had issues, it had a few things that bothered me, the main of which was the ridiculous speed at which technology developed, but that's not a huge deal. But then again, it also has Varrik and Zhu Li, best characters in the series.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 29, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ElCondemn posted:

I'm not talking about the author, I'm talking about the work. The work did not indicate that revolution was good for republic city, just because it happened in the story doesn't make it a good thing for the story.

Right, so you're arguing Death of the Author.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

raditts posted:

Right, so you're arguing Death of the Author.

Moral of the story kids: Killing an entire nation of people will ultimately save the day.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ElCondemn posted:

That wasn't the message of the show.

If the message was "radical politics bad" then the side that primarily supported the radical politics wouldn't have been pandered to at the end.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
There's, literally, an entire thread where you can discuss Korra/Avatar until the world ends. After almost 2 pages, I'm ready to start talking about how the 20th anniversary of the Power Rangers movie is coming and how the new movie will be.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey remember that gently caress awful grimdark power ranger spoof

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I never watched it because I got enough of that kind of poo poo back in the early 2000's newgrounds days.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://youtu.be/vw5vcUPyL90

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I had totally forgotten that they were rebooting MMPR as a movie; this is going to be terrible. Also, it makes me feel old that something from my childhood is getting this treatment, and I'm not even old. gently caress.

At least they got the original Lord Zedd back...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be fair it's not like Power Rangers was ever not sort of terrible so at least it's not like they're ruining anything.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So how does Uncle Grandpa do? Seems to be the weakest out of all of Cartoon Networks offerings but maybe the kids like it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if this is more or less absurd than the Sonic fan movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's by Joseph Kahn, the dude knows exactly what he's doing. He's the guy who gave us Torque, the movie where Adam Scott starts his car with a giant key.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sleeveless posted:

It's by Joseph Kahn, the dude knows exactly what he's doing. He's the guy who gave us Torque, the movie where Adam Scott starts his car with a giant key.

Also a motorcycle fight for the honor of Pepsi and Mountain Dew.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Power Rangers short was fun for just an experiment but I certainly wouldn't want to see a full on movie/series like that (which isn't happening anyway.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

It's by Joseph Kahn, the dude knows exactly what he's doing.

Yeah, dude even said in an interview he wouldn't actually want to do a full length Power Rangers movie like that IIRC. So it was stupid but kind of enjoyable so whatever.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There is something off about the animation of the last Star vs. the Forces of Evil episodes but I can't put my finger on it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I haven't seen this

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

I like that they couldn't find a way to reinterpret Rita as anything other than a goofy, cackling witch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You asked for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCtQpclpY8

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, what is it about Sonic that generates this sort of fan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, what is it about Sonic that generates this sort of fan.

Its really loving bizarre. I was the right age for Sonic stuff when it first came out and nobody at school cared about that poo poo.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is just completely unacceptable guys

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is something off about the animation of the last Star vs. the Forces of Evil episodes but I can't put my finger on it.
There was apparently a change in animation studio after the episode "Mewberty"? Wikipedia says it went from Mercury Filmworks to Toon City.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Gaunab posted:

So how does Uncle Grandpa do? Seems to be the weakest out of all of Cartoon Networks offerings but maybe the kids like it.

It's grown on me to the point that I don't actively change the channel when its on. It feels like it could've done well on nickelodeon in the 90s. There was an episode Weird Al was in that surprised me. And the Andrew WK one. And the episode where pizza steve was ric flair.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shabadu posted:

It's grown on me to the point that I don't actively change the channel when its on. It feels like it could've done well on nickelodeon in the 90s. There was an episode Weird Al was in that surprised me. And the Andrew WK one. And the episode where pizza steve was ric flair.

Nah Pizza Steve just stole Ric Flair's hair and took over his pool.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They had a Steven Universe crossover and I like that they actually made a joke about gemsonas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Uncle Grandpa isn't amazing but it's gotten way better since the first few really terrible episodes. It has it's silly charm and Pizza Steve rules.

Also, heads up, this week is a Gumball bomb or whatever so new Gumball every night this week.