Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr. Crow posted:

This isn't really true anymore unfortunately, the Rebalance module of PN leaves a lot to be desired and I'm probably going to end up hijacking half of Arwen's leveled list adjustments to finish my hardcore mod if I can't get hers to start/I end up not liking hers like I think I wont. She has to many :confused: changes, like the Med-Tec module or whatever just is a giant :psyduck: of why would you want to play with that.

Basically I don't want a bunch of extra bullshit, I just want a difficult game within the confines of what vanilla NV already provides.

Most of PN's features can be turned off / not installed when you activate the FOMOD, though. Granted, I didn't realize you could opt out of installing entire modules the first few times, but I eventually figured it out.

I've been experimenting with various combinations of settings, trying to find the perfect blend of difficulty to make the game more difficult, and pretty much everything is usable without the "Equipment" and "Cyberware" plugins (if that's the extra bullshit you're talking about.)

Difficulty - Normal, Hardcore On

Weapon Damage Skill Influence - 50% (PN has this set to 20%, which is bunk because it defeats the purpose to putting skill points into weapons because of the relatively worthless payoff.)

Food Rarities - 16%, 12%, 9%, 6%

Ammo Rarity - 10%

Leveling Rate - 66%

Skill Point Penalty - (-4)

Minimum Damage (DT Bleedthrough) - 15%

Alternative Repair ON

Everything else I leave at default values or doesn't effect the difficulty of the game. I've discovered that a leveling rate of 66% prevents you from blasting through 10 or 12 levels in a single DLC, but isn't SO slow that you feel like you're never getting anywhere. The -4 skill point penalty means you have a spread of 7 - 11 points to invest per level (rather than 11 - 15), meaning you'll NEVER get anywhere near maxing out every skill. This emphasizes grooming your character to fit a certain role, rather than just dumping points into whatever when you feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flatluigi posted:

Is there a post anyone can point me at for the recommended mods to install before playing?

(don't give me the 'your first playthrough should be unmodded' poo poo, I can't believe I started playing FO3 without fellout/more where that came from/etc)

My personal favorite mods that I started my current playthrough are Project Nevada (overhaul mod), Requiem for Capital Wasteland (merges Fallout 3 and New Vegas together to make one massive game), and Nevada Skies (weather and lightning mod).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I was also unaware of this, could we get a blurb about it in the OP in The Armory's description?

Sure, I'll throw a note in there.

flatluigi posted:

Is there a post anyone can point me at for the recommended mods to install before playing?

(don't give me the 'your first playthrough should be unmodded' poo poo, I can't believe I started playing FO3 without fellout/more where that came from/etc)

I try to keep most of the "recommended" mods in the OP, with notes beside those that have evolved into bloated pieces of poo poo but still possess redeeming qualities. Similar to Rirse, my personal picks would be cosmetic mods that most people wouldn't turn down (all of the files in the textures / normals section of the OP, with the exception of "Detailed Normals"). Use the 4GB executable in conjunction with that, to reduce CTDs from hitting your RAM ceiling.

Overhaul-wise, I adore Project Nevada. Can't say enough good things about it. Clean scripting, a lot of polish, and enough customization that you can tweak the mod to your liking. Then check out a Weapon Mods overhaul like the Armory, WMX, or WME. Recently, a lot of users on this thread have been saying positive things about AG Supplementary Uniques, which is worth checking out if you like gun treasure hunts.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I'd highly suggest Project Nevada, Arenovalis's retexture package(Has anyone heard from him recently?), Nevada Skies or a different weather/sky retexture, and maybe one of the hideout mods depending on what you want in a place.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Project Nevada (I prefer most of it at Vanilla settings, especially for a first timer), Nevada Skies, Flora mod, that invisible wall removal one, NPC cosmetic fixes, a texture pack you like, lucky 38 marker, and simple street lights.

Those are all pretty much must-haves for first timers.

Edit: I stand corrected. Should remove that from my load order then.

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 25, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cubemario posted:

Project Nevada (I prefer most of it at Vanilla settings, especially for a first timer), Nevada Skies, Flora mod, that invisible wall removal one, no auto aim, NPC cosmetic fixes, a texture pack you like, lucky 38 marker, and simple street lights.

Those are all pretty much must-haves for first timers.

Actually "No Auto-aim" isn't necessary with the newer versions of PN, as it's already built in.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I just noticed that Manual Reload was updated by the author. It works on newer versions of NVSE and the bug with expanded magazine weapons is half fixed (they reload to modded capacity instead of vanilla, still do it automatically)

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

Arrath posted:

I just noticed that Manual Reload was updated by the author. It works on newer versions of NVSE and the bug with expanded magazine weapons is half fixed (they reload to modded capacity instead of vanilla, still do it automatically)

What about the K9000 bug?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Lucky 38 marker? :aaaaa:

Please tell me there's a mod that adds a marker to every screen of the strip. That would make me so goddamn happy I could spit.

Randomly, I seem to be having some difficulties getting hardcore mode to stick to my characters. I can toggle it on at character creation, or toggle it on in the menu, and neither stays on. At first I was attributing it to PN's adjusted timescale, but no characters of mine have needed to eat/drink/sleep. When I check the menu, sure enough, hardcore is off.

Lastly, with the amount of discussion about RFC in the past few pages - is it largely stable? Is the main quest completely hosed when it comes to the "personal" stuff? Are the DLC packs working? I never did The Pitt, and never finished Broken Steel in my FO3 game, so experiencing them as The Courier would be pretty badass.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Epileptic Nazi posted:

What about the K9000 bug?

It was updated before OWB came out, so probably not.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

SourceElement posted:

Lucky 38 marker? :aaaaa:

Please tell me there's a mod that adds a marker to every screen of the strip. That would make me so goddamn happy I could spit.

Randomly, I seem to be having some difficulties getting hardcore mode to stick to my characters. I can toggle it on at character creation, or toggle it on in the menu, and neither stays on. At first I was attributing it to PN's adjusted timescale, but no characters of mine have needed to eat/drink/sleep. When I check the menu, sure enough, hardcore is off.

Lastly, with the amount of discussion about RFC in the past few pages - is it largely stable? Is the main quest completely hosed when it comes to the "personal" stuff? Are the DLC packs working? I never did The Pitt, and never finished Broken Steel in my FO3 game, so experiencing them as The Courier would be pretty badass.

What I really want (and didn't find) is a marker for the atomic wrangler, The followers fort, and the kings in Freeside. There's a ton of running around otherwise.

RFC has been very stable for me, it's caused by game to crash a BIT more, but nothing to serious and I'm still not sure if it's RFC that directly has caused it.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
So I installed WAR, and the animations seem nice, but it really bugs me when I go into ironsights with any of the optional first-person pistol models. Lots of hands flying around for no reason, which is a shame because some of them are genuinely pretty drat cool looking.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Capn Beeb posted:

Yup.

One from New Vegas:

Then a few days later Underground Hideout was updated with an automatic gold bar sorter HURRR!

Pfft. Tourist.

(Still WIP)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Looks like I'm gonna have to decorate The Sink with Feng Shui, now. Thanks, guys, never getting anything else done ever. :smith:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Big Iron is such a badass song I put that poo poo on my iPod.

Now this, I can get behind. There needs to be a Johnny Guitar -> Big Iron patch.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Chronojam posted:

Now this, I can get behind. There needs to be a Johnny Guitar -> Big Iron patch.

Really, the game just needs more Marty Robbins in general. El Paso would have been such an awesome addition to New Vegas.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Project Nevada is a must-have. Even if you don't like most of what it goes, I'd install it for the dynamic crosshair, item sorter and grenade hotkeys alone.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

SourceElement posted:

Really, the game just needs more Marty Robbins in general. El Paso would have been such an awesome addition to New Vegas.

You can even make it lore-friendly! Rename it "I Fell In Love With A Mexican Ghoul" and change all instances of Felina to Raul :3:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cubemario posted:

What I really want (and didn't find) is a marker for the atomic wrangler, The followers fort, and the kings in Freeside. There's a ton of running around otherwise.

I've been using this map marker mod. It works perfectly fine, though the New Vegas area gets really crowded on the map.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
God I can't wait for Skyrim + mods.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Pfft. Tourist.

(Still WIP)

What house/hideout is that?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've played with The Armory (2.0) for a while now and just wanted to comment on balance.

I think the high-calibre high-ROF weapons need to be toned down, quite a lot. I was using the M14 and Barrett for a while and they just blow away all the vanilla weapons with a combination of all three of high DPS, pinpoint precision and good damage/shot. Over 600 DPS on the M14, for example.

My suggestion would be to significantly lower the damage per shot and accuracy of fast-fire weapons when a slower firing version exists. It's not 'realistic', but to give the antimaterial rifle a niche the Barrett needs to do considerably less damage. And the M14 should do less damage per round and be less accurate than a dedicated sniper rifle (though perhaps not to Automatic Rifle levels of inaccuracy).

Apart from that it's all good, and technically it's very very good. The Bren Gun I mentioned earlier is the only bug I've spotted.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Look like the old Goodsprings Shack mod that was removed from Nexus a while back. May be wrong or it may be some updated version.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Why was it removed? It looks really nice :( Though that might just be all the hard Feng Shui work, too.

EDIT: Actually, Monster w21 Faces, it looks like you need to update the Fonts section of your fallout ini if you're using DarnifiedUI. They're so big!

potaties fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 25, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

potaties posted:

EDIT: Actually, Monster w21 Faces, it looks like you need to update the Fonts section of your fallout ini if you're using DarnifiedUI. They're so big!

Yeah I installed Requiem and it hosed up my game. I'm in the middle of redownloading all my mods so I can do a fresh install.

Capn Beeb posted:

What house/hideout is that?

It's a version of Goodsprings shack that has fixed lighting.

Omnicarus posted:

Look like the old Goodsprings Shack mod that was removed from Nexus a while back. May be wrong or it may be some updated version.

What? :(

Does anyone still have it?

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 25, 2011

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Monster w21 Faces posted:

What? :(

Does anyone still have it?

Unless I'm mistaken that was one of those mods that went under admin review for :iiam: reasons and then vanished and the author banned.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Lone Badger posted:

I've played with The Armory (2.0) for a while now and just wanted to comment on balance.

I think the high-calibre high-ROF weapons need to be toned down, quite a lot. I was using the M14 and Barrett for a while and they just blow away all the vanilla weapons with a combination of all three of high DPS, pinpoint precision and good damage/shot. Over 600 DPS on the M14, for example.

My suggestion would be to significantly lower the damage per shot and accuracy of fast-fire weapons when a slower firing version exists. It's not 'realistic', but to give the antimaterial rifle a niche the Barrett needs to do considerably less damage. And the M14 should do less damage per round and be less accurate than a dedicated sniper rifle (though perhaps not to Automatic Rifle levels of inaccuracy).

Apart from that it's all good, and technically it's very very good. The Bren Gun I mentioned earlier is the only bug I've spotted.

I've found all the high-ROF weapons really inaccurate, especially the LMGs. Haven't really used the sniper rifles though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Are there any good mods which overhaul combat? That is probably my biggest issue with the game. The gunplay just doesn't feel satisfying. I've been using VATS as more of a 'help get me out of a jam' option than as a main attack method, but it still doesn't feel right. If I had a fallout with Stalker style combat, I don't think I would ever stop playing.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Filthy Monkey posted:

Are there any good mods which overhaul combat? That is probably my biggest issue with the game. The gunplay just doesn't feel satisfying. I've been using VATS as more of a 'help get me out of a jam' option than as a main attack method, but it still doesn't feel right. If I had a fallout with Stalker style combat, I don't think I would ever stop playing.

Project Nevada + The Armory's Alternate Armor System provide a pretty realistic gunplay. Provided you have appropriate ammo you'll be taking people out in a couple of shots.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't use the DPS as a judge of the weapon's damage output. It's not accurate at all. But I'm afraid that's all I can comment on for balancing since that's AS's teabag :\

Re: WAR, the requirement was outlined quite clearly in the readme from day one... :negative: I guess I'm going to have to bundle the core animation pack in with the pack and put the optionals to the side from now on or put a big warning... everywhere... that it's required.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Omnicarus posted:

Actually my favorite thing about AWOP is that the guy in charge refuses to update it until he hits a designated number of endorsements on the nexus. (iirc the next update will only come after he hits 5000 endorsements. He's currently at a little over 1000.)
He can have an endorsement after he gives me back an eyebot that got lost in his poo poo architecture and made me reload pre-vegetable vault. Also I asked a couple months ago but I'm replaying now so I thought I'd check...is there an Electrocity version that doesn't drench the Mojave in mute workers, unnecessary signage and break quests?

Edit: also I hate Johnny Guitar because it's basically a song about some fat girl that loves a guitar-playing rear end in a top hat that doesn't love her back, it's just like the most E/N song ever. Man I'm just a little ray of sunshine this morning.

physeter fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 25, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

physeter posted:

He can have an endorsement after he gives me back an eyebot that got lost in his poo poo architecture and made me reload pre-vegetable vault. Also I asked a couple months ago but I'm replaying now so I thought I'd check...is there an Electrocity version that doesn't drench the Mojave in mute workers, unnecessary signage and break quests?

Simple Street Lights

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anyone tried out the Willow Companion Mod?. On one hand, it's one of the highest rated companion mods on NV Nexus. On the other, it's one of the highest rated companion mods on NV Nexus, and the profile pic seems rather creepy to me- and I downloaded the Makoto Beauty Pack :blush:

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

It is pretty well made and well integrated. I've never bothered with the romance and you're not really railroaded into doing so, which is the only remotely creepy thing about it. As far as companion mods go it's one of the better ones out there. She has a lot of remarks on what is going on which is the sign of a good companion mod.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Battle Rifles
-I'm doing something like this for 2.5, with higher-caliber fully automatic rifles maxing out at 34 per shot and having a slightly reduced ROF, semi auto maxing at 40 per shot, and semi-auto sniper rifles retaining full damage yet using a slower firing animation. I'm not going to change the medium machine guns very much because those are found relatively late in the game, and if they do get a damage reduction, it won't be nearly as drastic. On top of that, more enemies will be using battle rifles, so they won't be quite as unbalanced in the context of the game as it is.
-edit: Accuracy is also going to be changed, but slightly. Don't expect the semi-auto battle rifles to go above .35 spread.

.50BMG Sniper Rifles
-The .50 snipers will get a lowered fire rate across the board (AS50 1.5, M82 2.1), but I'm leaving their damage the same as the AMR. However, they will critically hit for only 50% added damage, which would leave the AMR better for sneak attacking, and the AS50 and M82 better for combat situations.

Other ridiculous DPS guns
-Certain weapons will still reach ridiculous amounts of DPS, such as the MG3, but that's purely an endgame weapon and its initial purpose is to dick the player over.

edit-Another note
-If you're using the realism ESP, then yes, everything is pretty much meant to be pinpoint accurate and high DPS and it is meant to be used with the vanilla weapon tweak patch as well which also gives the vanilla weapons the same fuckoff DPS and accuracy ratings. You pretty much need a wobble mod to balance it out.

(by the way, we actually base the bulk of our stats from real-life models unless completely necessary, or when something boring needs to be made funny.)

The workload is kind of slowed by the fact that FNVEdit's current build is breaking poo poo left and right and is making it really difficult to tweak with things in a timely and efficient manner.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 25, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Also nobody told me that the Freeside thugs randomly spawn Bren guns without ammo :negative:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SheepNameKiller posted:

It is pretty well made and well integrated. I've never bothered with the romance and you're not really railroaded into doing so, which is the only remotely creepy thing about it. As far as companion mods go it's one of the better ones out there. She has a lot of remarks on what is going on which is the sign of a good companion mod.

Wow, that's good to hear :) The only reason I'm even asking here instead of dismissing the mod outright is because I heard that she follows you to DLC areas.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Wow, that's good to hear :) The only reason I'm even asking here instead of dismissing the mod outright is because I heard that she follows you to DLC areas.

The only criticism I have (and I've heard this from others, too) is that her companion perk is overpowered. It's something like +25 speech. You can change this yourself *really* easily in NVEdit if it bothers you.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just a quick question before I finish installing Project Nevada: Does the "Food No Longer Heals" bullet point in the Rebalance module include SunSass/Nuka Cola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just a quick question before I finish installing Project Nevada: Does the "Food No Longer Heals" bullet point in the Rebalance module include SunSass/Nuka Cola?
Yes.