Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DJCobol posted:

First/business isn't too bad. I've only done coach on domestic transcons in the 767, so I don't know about that.

Just checked and the secretaries / "executive assistants" (lol) have apparently booked me into business which is a nice surprise.

Didn't realise 767s are slow, I suppose the flight back is overnight so not too much of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

DJCobol posted:

I did 77A and 77K upstairs last year when I went to Tokyo. Looking forward to sitting in the front of the plane this time!

Too many people on flyertalk (LOL) say that 1A/K is only good if you are sitting next to a loved one, but that is BS. I flew LAX-NRT in 1A and then did NRT-JFK in 77A (best seat on the plane). 1A/K are close, but you aren't sitting in the other person's lap, so the too close thing is not accurate in my opinion. Note, you do not have an overhead bin in 1A (same with seats in 5/6) but you should be able to use someone else's. You are right next to the closet too, so you can use that. My biggest gripe with 1A was that I could not see the wing and engines (I'm a plane nerd) and like to look at them in action every once in a while. The windows curve at the front of the aircraft. I think Delta's 744 upstairs is the best thing going among the big 3 and it won't be around much longer. The front of the aircraft is almost as good and if you did upstairs already you will be happy. The cabin service was better downstairs on my flights.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

knox_harrington posted:

Just checked and the secretaries / "executive assistants" (lol) have apparently booked me into business which is a nice surprise.

Didn't realise 767s are slow, I suppose the flight back is overnight so not too much of a problem.

The 767 cruises at the same speed as anything else, what are you talking about?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Radiohead71 posted:

Too many people on flyertalk (LOL) say that 1A/K is only good if you are sitting next to a loved one, but that is BS. I flew LAX-NRT in 1A and then did NRT-JFK in 77A (best seat on the plane). 1A/K are close, but you aren't sitting in the other person's lap, so the too close thing is not accurate in my opinion. Note, you do not have an overhead bin in 1A (same with seats in 5/6) but you should be able to use someone else's. You are right next to the closet too, so you can use that. My biggest gripe with 1A was that I could not see the wing and engines (I'm a plane nerd) and like to look at them in action every once in a while. The windows curve at the front of the aircraft. I think Delta's 744 upstairs is the best thing going among the big 3 and it won't be around much longer. The front of the aircraft is almost as good and if you did upstairs already you will be happy. The cabin service was better downstairs on my flights.

I really liked the upstairs experience. 77A/K were both nice, and having the emergency exit right in front made it easy to get up and stretch out without bothering anyone else. Cabin service was pretty good since there were 3 flight attendants for the entire upper cabin, and they kept bringing me booze. Before leaving DTW, I even got to go up and see the cockpit and get a picture of me in the captain's chair, which was cool. This will probably be my last chance to fly first/business on the 747, so I thought I'd try what everyone else says are the other best seats on the plane 1A/K. I've heard that they are kinda close, and there is no overhead, but I'm not too worried about that. The main reason I wanted to sit there was because I've been told by 2 other people that with the curvature of the fuselage, it almost feels like you can look straight out rather than just off to the side.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No it was from my post. 767 cruise around m.80 and everything else around .82. It adds up to around 45 mins to an hour depending on how long the route is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It might add 20-25 minutes to LHR-JFK. Realistically, with block times, taxi times and the like, most people aren't going to notice a difference on a transat route. Right now, BOS-LHR is scheduled at 5:31 on a 763, 5:17 on a 789, 6:05 on a 772 and 6:15 on a 744.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It might add 20-25 minutes to LHR-JFK. Realistically, with block times, taxi times and the like, most people aren't going to notice a difference on a transat route. Right now, BOS-LHR is scheduled at 5:31 on a 763, 5:17 on a 789, 6:05 on a 772 and 6:15 on a 744.

You're probably right. These 3 did the JFK-LHR route last night and the difference was 15 mins.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL104/history/20161115/0340Z/KJFK/EGLL

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL403/history/20161115/0330Z/KJFK/EGLL

77W
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW182/history/20161115/0410Z/KJFK/EGLL

Makes more of a difference when flying over the Pacific

763 SEA-NRT

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL167/history/20161114/1926Z/KSEA/RJAA

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA177/history/20161114/2020Z/KSEA/RJAA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh yeah, I agree on TPAC for sure. It looks like averages for the example you posted are around 9:55 for the 763 and 9:35 for the 789, so it's somewhat consistently meaningful, but probably not enough to make me prioritize over other things like carrier of choice and timing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

New contract has me visiting Wall Street area occasionally and I am just amazed at the hotel prices in the immediate area. Like $350 a night for a place that is generally mediocre. $450 if you want to step up to the Marriott. And half the hotels on our list are just not available in December.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Any tips for surviving a 12 hour flight in coach?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

monster on a stick posted:

Don't? Alternatively, one of these is extremely helpful. Packs small and self-inflates on the plane.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

I use over the counter travel sickness pills that knock me out for 8 hours and get me there more or less fresh. Previously I tried earplugs and pillows and they do help, but nothing like using chemicals to become unconscious for a good length of time. For next month I'm looking at two consecutive 12 hour flights, I'm sure it's a bad idea but like to see how delirious I can get.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I bring my molded in ears to block noise, an eye shade, and some snacks.

When I want to be up I have a bunch of music and videos offlined.

I did biz to/from Europe last week. 48 hours after the flight it's all the same. Wasn't worth the 12k in airfare really and I feel a bit of guilt that client insisted on paying for it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I like using the ostrich pillow (light version). Looks ridiculous, sure, but I sleep well in it. Window seat is key too.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Biggest problem for me on long-haul flights in coach is my rear end and legs getting sore, so I usually shoot for an aisle seat in the back of the plane so I can get up as frequently as I want without any hassle.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure about your height but the more you fly the easier it gets. I prefer one long trip in a nice plane than doing 4 transfers in different short haul hops and airports

Bring a book, write a bunch of post cards, and hopefully you have good onscreen entertainment. If not, bring an ipad/iphone.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I've done my share of 14+ hour flights in coach. It sucks. Pay the extra to get whatever coach+ option exists. The rest of it is normal flight stuff, sleep, drink, watch movies, read books, whatever.

I personally sleep upright with no neck pillow and just some headphones.Eye covers and ear plugs bother the poo poo out of me. Napping on the late night east to west coast so you can land and start having fun means learning how to sleep sitting in a seat that doesn't lean back.

Mostly, just keep calm. People were having a fit when my last flight from HKG to DFW went to AUS for a couple of hours first. Nothing we can do, just breathe and be patient.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FunOne posted:

Mostly, just keep calm. People were having a fit when my last flight from HKG to DFW went to AUS for a couple of hours first. Nothing we can do, just breathe and be patient.

This is extremely important. I flew EWR-ZRH-PEK and the ZRH-PEK segment got diverted to TYN for five hours thanks to poo poo weather in Beijing. These things happen sometimes and freaking out doesn't help anyone.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Help the guy next to me has a massive nosebleed and him and his girlfriend are using the barf bag and also pages out of American Way to contain the bleeding.

In other news I finally hit plat on this flight soooo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A guy next to me on the plane had a grand mal seizure once. It can always get worse.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It can always get worse.

yeah like sitting in between two fatties

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Noctone posted:

yeah like sitting in between two fatties

the guy was fat too, but seizure was definitely worse than fatties

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the guy was fat too, but seizure was definitely worse than fatties

But was he properly dressed?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DJCobol posted:

But was he properly dressed?

That guy hasn't posted here in a year. I hope he got back from his Thailand holiday okay.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

a drunk guy had really wet diarrhea while waiting to get in the bathroom four feet away from me on a vegas flight once. the flight crew let everyone nearby hang out in the crew areas from then until we had to buckle up for landing

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

If its for business schedule a rest day on the other end.
During the rest day don't sleep all day, try to operate minimally like a normal human being to bust through any lag and then go to bed early.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Knitting Beetles posted:

I use over the counter travel sickness pills that knock me out for 8 hours and get me there more or less fresh. Previously I tried earplugs and pillows and they do help, but nothing like using chemicals to become unconscious for a good length of time. For next month I'm looking at two consecutive 12 hour flights, I'm sure it's a bad idea but like to see how delirious I can get.

Careful if you're using antihistamines:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

That's not available OTC where I live, I use this. A doctor friend said it wasn't a problem even if you use it heavily (which I don't).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

If its for business schedule a rest day on the other end.
During the rest day don't sleep all day, try to operate minimally like a normal human being to bust through any lag and then go to bed early.

This works well for me too.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

a drunk guy had really wet diarrhea while waiting to get in the bathroom four feet away from me on a vegas flight once. the flight crew let everyone nearby hang out in the crew areas from then until we had to buckle up for landing

This is my biggest fear while flying, and prevents me from drinking much if at all on or around flights. (I tend to check bags too, so I can't even pull poo poo out to change.) I'm both glad to find my fears are not founded and alarmed that it actually happens.

e: And I haven't ever been pants-making GBS threads drunk, even on the ground! Irrational fears and the like.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 21, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't mean you have to get pants making GBS threads drunk! Aiya

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
There's a pretty wide gulf between getting pants making GBS threads drunk and catching a nice buzz so you can sleep a little better. Unless you're the lightest of light weights or have zero self control I guess

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SoftNum posted:

This is my biggest fear while flying, and prevents me from drinking much if at all on or around flights. (I tend to check bags too, so I can't even pull poo poo out to change.) I'm both glad to find my fears are not founded and alarmed that it actually happens.

e: And I haven't ever been pants-making GBS threads drunk, even on the ground! Irrational fears and the like.

You know you're allowed to stop drinking whenever you want, right? They don't come by with a funnel or make you do kegstands in the aisle. I typically have a full change of clothes (less shoes) in my carry on, not so much if my rear end explodes as it's for if the guy next to me spews (has happened twice) or the kid behind me decides to throw his milk over the seat (once so far).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You would think leaving your house and traveling and going to places for work would make you less goony. But nope, some of you guys are still goony as gently caress

:goonsay:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

After tomorrow's flights, I'll be at 82 EQS for AA. Is there any benefit to booking the rest of my segments this year on AA to get 90? The new qualifications start next year, right?

The AA staff at MCO say the admirals club should be open in 1/17.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Midjack posted:

You know you're allowed to stop drinking whenever you want, right?

SoftNum posted:

This is my biggest fear while flying, and prevents me from drinking much if at all on or around flights.

I guess I do realize that?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

:siren: Flights from the US (ORD, ATL, LGA are what we checked) -> MAD in late March are sub $500 right now.

However because I'm terrible at ITA Matrix I had to book through Hipmunk/Justfly and now I'm wondering if I should call AA (I don't think I'll ever be able to see the itin on AA.com) to make sure my FF# is attached to all of the legs? Or should that wait until March?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

caberham posted:

You would think leaving your house and traveling and going to places for work would make you less goony. But nope, some of you guys are still goony as gently caress

:goonsay:

I was in the Qantas First Class lounge at LAX the other day, and there was one guy eating a burger with a tripod set up with his camera facing himself, and he was filming himself eating and doing a self-interview.

I'll be damned if I didn't say that this kind of goony poo poo doesn't take away from ~my premium experience~

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

sellouts posted:

Hey finally eligible for registered traveler to the U.K.

Bye border force

It's expensive as hell. 70 GBP for first year. and then as I recently found out, 20 GBP for keeping it for the same year if you get a new passport. Compared for 5 years for $50 for GE, what a rip-off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

767s are actually noticeably slower compared to other widebodies; their flights are much more prone to delays on arrival, because airlines set a standard buffer for their schedules but don't differentiate between equipment. This is particularly noticeable on long-haul. Dreamliners, on the other hand, tend to often have early arrival from their higher cruising altitudes and faster cruise speeds.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

taco show posted:

:siren: Flights from the US (ORD, ATL, LGA are what we checked) -> MAD in late March are sub $500 right now.

However because I'm terrible at ITA Matrix I had to book through Hipmunk/Justfly and now I'm wondering if I should call AA (I don't think I'll ever be able to see the itin on AA.com) to make sure my FF# is attached to all of the legs? Or should that wait until March?

Flights from ORD to MAD are always like $400-$500, at least on KLM or Delta. Unless I'm missing something.

AdrenalinG posted:

I was in the Qantas First Class lounge at LAX the other day, and there was one guy eating a burger with a tripod set up with his camera facing himself, and he was filming himself eating and doing a self-interview.

I'll be damned if I didn't say that this kind of goony poo poo doesn't take away from ~my premium experience~

100% chance he's a travel blogger or wannabe travel blogger.