Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

To be fair who wants dirty moon faith anyway?

Moriya Shrine already pretty much has a monopoly on faith in gensokyo by way of everybody else being incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe it's because I just played Suikoden 2, but the impression I get from the game is that the big players care more about strategies than soldiers. Sanae saving the moon (or Reimu, etc), would be considered a brilliant tactical move by Eirin, actually named in Hecatia's profile as "the Ultramarine Orb Person Maneuver." Sagume also gets strategist credit for recognizing the gift she'd been sent and using it properly. And unless I misread it horribly, Junko concedes (to Sagume) the moment Sanae shows up, before they even fight. Sanae wanted an epic duel though, so she gives her one out of pity.

So in the end, Sagume and Eirin pat themselves on the back for being so smart, Junko recognizes the Lunar Capital as a worthy opponent, and no one cares about these stupid little danmaku battles.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 15, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's just Lunarian propaganda so that they can refuse to acknowledge the contributions of humans. :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

And rabbits.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tigey posted:

Also, Junko's theme is awesome. LoLK soundtrack is pissing all over DDC so far.

I don't know, I thought Sukuna's stuff (both her stage and boss themes) were some of the best tracks in Touhou.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Illusionary Joururi is in my top 5 Touhou tracks ever. Otherwise it's nothing special.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Illusionary Jorurui, Little Princess and Pristine Beat are all really goddamn amazing and easily among the best touhou songs ever. But yeah for the most part DDC's ost wasn't super amazing, especially when we just had the songs from the demo. Although Mysterious Purification Rod may be my favourite title theme.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

And unless I misread it horribly, Junko concedes (to Sagume) the moment Sanae shows up, before they even fight. Sanae wanted an epic duel though, so she gives her one out of pity.

I think Junko immediately conceded but insisted on going through the battle anyway. If anyone's got a transcript, I'd be happy to give a straight translation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Played through it again, she refers to the battle as "mopping up". A necessary but tedious task. For Marisa's route though, Marisa is perfectly willing to just leave because she's been kinda annoyed at Eirin the whole game, but Junko insists that having a danmaku battle is just proper manners.

These are Pointdevice only dialog though. In Legacy mode Junko taunts you for wasting so my lives on the way, and then talks about your inevitable demise in battle.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh god, is the Legacy mode dialogue just gonna be "haha impurity you died"?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Only the final boss's dialog changes, as far as I can tell.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why is it called pointdevice mode anyway

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Point-Device: attention to detail.
Fitting.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Is it just me or Stage 4's first spellcard is way harder than the rest? At least on easy.

I feel like I died a thousand times to beat this game on easy, jesus christ.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No, I've never had any particular trouble with it. Not the easiest card ever, but fairly straightforward. Out of curiosity, are you playing as Reisen? Because Reisen trivializes every other of Sagume's spellcards with her piercing shot. They end like three times faster.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
No, I was playing as Sanae. I guess I couldn't discern the pattern, later with more bullets it was easier for my brain to find paths to go through.

And oh, I called it "first spellcard" but I think it was just the very first boss attack.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh, that one. Yeah, Sanae makes that one a nightmare because her homing shots make it practically impossible to hit the boss.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
LoLK feels a lot more like ISC or the camera games because there are some really dumb RNG or no warning bullets.

The plot is also ripped off of Doom 2

amuayse fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 15, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I guess it was inevitable:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

so is LoLK balanced more around legacy or pointdevice?

there's so many options now and I am old and don't know what to choose

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Point device, there are lots of cards that will just immediately kill you unless you know what to do at the start.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah, Legacy mode is pretty much just in there for tradition's sake. Hence the name.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

On the other hand, Legacy gives you quite a lot of lives so maybe you can just bomb through everything?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, Legacy mode is pretty much just in there for tradition's sake. Hence the name.
It's kind of funny. In English, when you talk about a "legacy feature", it tends to have a pretty negative connotation.

I don't know to what extent it's used that way in Japanese, so I don't know if that's an intentional joke or just a funny coincidence.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pretty sure ZUN just throws words together based on what they sound like. Although he does love the Lunatic double meaning...

Actually going through the legacy endings, they seem to be a bunch of joke endings with some worldbuilding details thrown in. Mostly people asking themselves why they decided not to drink the super invincibility elixir.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

FractalSandwich posted:

It's kind of funny. In English, when you talk about a "legacy feature", it tends to have a pretty negative connotation.

It doesn't with me, at least. Legacy feature just means an old feature? Sometimes that's well welcome!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been laughing for 30 solid minutes at "clownpiece" and can't stop. Someone please help me.

EDIT: She does have a pretty solid boss music.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 16, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Actually going through the legacy endings, they seem to be a bunch of joke endings with some worldbuilding details thrown in. Mostly people asking themselves why they decided not to drink the super invincibility elixir.

How many fake mustaches are worn in the joke endings?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

The Clown Piece of Crime

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah the Harley Quinn comparison was inevitable.

Liking her creepy rear end theme - especially the discordant opening.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay I've been out of the Touhou loop for a few years: how, exactly do you use the Touhou Autotranslate patcher program thing?

As far as I understand this completely replaces the patches from before and is the only way to get DDC/ISC in English. Problem I'm having is it isn't actually translating anything. I've tried 3 times, full uninstalls and reinstalls of it every time, and it just won't do anything. It looks like maybe the server it's trying to pull the translation from isn't up anymore? The program having not been updated in over a year in a half also isn't heartening.

Googling around is still giving me a loss, so I would like to politely bow and ask for assistance as to what the hell I am doing. Thanks in advance.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm not sure how you're failing, but the main thing is that it doesn't actually patch anything, it just replaces the dialog on the go, as it were. So you have to open the game through the patcher program every single time. If you're already doing that, then I don't know.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 16, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
One of the servers the patcher downloads through is dead or broken or something, so you have to manually download this repo.js file and put it in a folder named "thpatch". Then the configuration script should download the actual game translations, and work.

If your patcher still works then you probably don't need to do this, but new installs probably do.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ah, thank you for the assistance. All's working now.

Impossible Spell Card is pretty loving fun, kicking myself for skipping it before.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Touhoupatcher is a bitcoin miner, don't do it

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Jesus. How do you overdesign something as simple as a fan translation so badly? What was wrong with the old method? It wasn't next-gen social web 2.0 cloud compatible enough?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think the original idea is that a web-based open source self-updating patcher avoids the issues that the older games had with mediocre and fixed translations, difficult installs, and teams that get burnt out after every game, but instead it's merely a giant pain in the rear end to install and has translator fights and lovely joke translations no one actually wants.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just play it in Japanese and read the wiki's translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

I think the original idea is that a web-based open source self-updating patcher avoids the issues that the older games had with mediocre and fixed translations, difficult installs, and teams that get burnt out after every game, but instead it's merely a giant pain in the rear end to install and has translator fights and lovely joke translations no one actually wants.
Well at least the "open source" part was a good idea.

It must at least cache the most recent version locally, right? I haven't heard anyone accuse it of having always-online DRM(!).